14 replies to this topic

#1 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

Song lyrics that you thought you knew and completely screwed up.

My current one is "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by The Band. Love that song so much, but the lyrics in my head were so different and stupid!

#2 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

My current one is "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by The Band. Love that song so much, but the lyrics in my head were so different and stupid!

What were the lyrics you had in your head that were so different?

A friend of mine thought the lyrics in Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" were, "She had electric boobs and her mom does too."  They're actually "She has electric boots and a mohair suit."

Golly gee willickers.

#3 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

What were the lyrics you had in your head that were so different?

A friend of mine thought the lyrics in Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" were, "She had electric boobs and her mom does too."  They're actually "She has electric boots and a mohair suit."

LOL

You can't raise the cane back up when it's in the feed - my version

You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat - actual lyrics

#4 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

"Blinded by the Light"

I heard : Wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night.

Actual lyrics : Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night. 

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#5 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

While historically inaccurate in several lines it is kind of strange how a Canadian (Robbie Roberson) wrote this song with the introspect of a southerner during the war for southern independence. Of course Levon Helm (Arkansas) delivers the great vocal and probably contributed to the lyrics. I am a big fan of The Band. EZ mentioned Elton and it took me years to realize Rocketman was "burning out his fuse up here alone". I had no idea what he was saying.

#6 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

While historically inaccurate in several lines it is kind of strange how a Canadian (Robbie Roberson) wrote this song with the introspect of a southerner during the war for southern independence. Of course Levon Helm (Arkansas) delivers the great vocal and probably contributed to the lyrics. I am a big fan of The Band. EZ mentioned Elton and it took me years to realize Rocketman was "burning out his fuse up here alone". I had no idea what he was saying.

Go on YouTube and watch Leon's emotions as he sings that song.

And re Elton? Don't even get me started!

#7 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

"Louie Louie" by the Kingsman

I ain't saying what I thought the lyrics were.  :lol:

ps: I wasn't the only one.

Edited by CitizenCain, 05 January 2019 - 05:35 PM.

• october likes this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#8 OSU

OSU

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

Now you all got me listening to songs that sparked the love of music to the young girl I used to be...love the songs of the 60s and 70s ..music is not what it used to be..but then neither am I lol

Edited by OSU, 06 January 2019 - 11:20 AM.

• juleebella and CitizenCain like this

#9 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

Now you all got me listening to songs that sparked the love of music to the young girl I used to be...love the songs of the 60s and 70s ..music is not what it used to be..but then neither am I lol

The late 60's and 70's was a golden age for music one that it is unlikely to ever be repeated. But that's just an opinion and while I cannot see how you can call today's music music I still remember my parents dislike disgust at the music I was obsessed with as a teenager and young adult. The generation gap is alive and well. 

• OSU likes this

#10 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

The late 60's and 70's was a golden age for music one that it is unlikely to ever be repeated. But that's just an opinion and while I cannot see how you can call today's music music I still remember my parents dislike disgust at the music I was obsessed with as a teenager and young adult. The generation gap is alive and well.

Hey Jude, Rocky Raccoon and I remember Motown, Little Stevie, etc!

#11 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

Part of it comes down to who is still a legend, who can still perform live and sound great. So funny that while I'm typing this Aretha is playing.

#12 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Ive always liked the Beatles but I guess I have a new appreciation for them now.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#13 OSU

OSU

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

Ive always liked the Beatles but I guess I have a new appreciation for them now.

. I can remember when they came on the Ed Sullivan show. I was hooked! I also remember my dad lol a strictly country music/Bluegrass man chiding me for listening to that kind of (racket) lol
  • CitizenCain and october like this

#14 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

. I can remember when they came on the Ed Sullivan show. I was hooked! I also remember my dad lol a strictly country music/Bluegrass man chiding me for listening to that kind of (racket) lol

The older I get, which is now old, the more I appreciate so many more music genres. I am know a huge fan of Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Dolly, etc. Weird I guess, or maybe not. We evolve.
  • OSU likes this

#15 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

The older I get, which is now old, the more I appreciate so many more music genres. I am know a huge fan of Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Dolly, etc. Weird I guess, or maybe not. We evolve.

Yup, we do but I’ve always loved Waylon, his music just slays me and I can’t count the times on trail rides I’ve sat around a campfire listening to Johnny Cash.
  • OSU likes this
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics