yo! ×
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
CitizenCain

What's on your menu for New Years day ?

The greens are supposed to be dollars and the peas were pennies according to my hillbilly momma. The more you ate, the more you'd have of each in the year. Personally, I think it's to flush ya out from Christmas. Cause if you eat a bunch of peas and greens all in one day, well, let's just say thou shalt be moved.

Turnip greens stink up the house and I've always hated black eyed peas. So over the years it's become pintos and pan fried ham with fresh spinach sauteed to deglaze the pan. Seasoned with Slap Ya Mama hot pepper blend.

• Like 1

Not 100% sure of what “all” we will include for the 2019 NYE mini backgammon extravaganza but one thing I am sure of, it will include stone crab claws.

We are exhausted right now between sickness, hospital visits (Son, appendix), hosting the family Christmas Eve and Christmas, back to the hospital for family friends who's father died very unexpectedly on Christmas day, visitation, funeral, etc. We may have leftovers for NYD at this rate. :(

We have traditionally had ham and black eye peas with other stuff. Neither my wife nor I are fond enough of Greens to eat them, one day a year or not!!

We are exhausted right now between sickness, hospital visits (Son, appendix), hosting the family Christmas Eve and Christmas, back to the hospital for family friends who's father died very unexpectedly on Christmas day, visitation, funeral, etc. We may have leftovers for NYD at this rate. :(

We have traditionally had ham and black eye peas with other stuff. Neither my wife nor I are fond enough of Greens to eat them, one day a year or not!!

Sorry to hear this SG. Wishing your son a quick recovery and a less stressful New Year.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this SG. Wishing your son a quick recovery and a less stressful New Year.

Thank you. He was smart enough to not wait until it was bad before getting us to take him and is a fitness nut and in good shape so it's gone very well for him.

The Arthroscopic surgery (not sure if that's right but google for once was not much help - the small hole surgery) did wonders, he was in minimal pain and is hopefully going to released to go back to work tomorrow. He does have 15 lb weight limit on picking up stuff for next five weeks or so.

Thank you. He was smart enough to not wait until it was bad before getting us to take him and is a fitness nut and in good shape so it's gone very well for him.

The Arthroscopic surgery (not sure if that's right but google for once was not much help - the small hole surgery) did wonders, he was in minimal pain and is hopefully going to released to go back to work tomorrow. He does have 15 lb weight limit on picking up stuff for next five weeks or so.

I had a friend that had an appendicitis attack while at a restaurant, it was so bad he fell off his chair and landed on the floor in pain. Rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. This was back when they opened you up like a sack of potatoes.. Your son is lucky.

I am so sorry! Sounds like your son is in good hands and will be OK? And as far as you and your family, take a huge break, hibernate tomorrow as best you can and eat whatever. Been at the hospital too many times during the holidays. Makes you reflect on what's really important in life, and it ain't blacked eyed peas!

• Like 2

Spiral sliced ham, collard greens, blackeye peas, macaroni and cheese, and yeasty rolls.

Pork - for prosperity in the new year

Greens - equal paper money in the new year

Peas - equal coins in the new year

Traditionally it's cornbread to equal gold and wealth in the new year, but we had these yeasty rolls already that need to be used so were doing Macaroni and cheese as our "gold".

So, there ya go. LOL

• Like 1

Spiral sliced ham, collard greens, blackeye peas, macaroni and cheese, and yeasty rolls.

Pork - for prosperity in the new year

Greens - equal paper money in the new year

Peas - equal coins in the new year

Traditionally it's cornbread to equal gold and wealth in the new year, but we had these yeasty rolls already that need to be used so were doing Macaroni and cheese as our "gold".

So, there ya go. LOL

Not that we do "traditional" NYD Southern feast, but we are going to have a variation on the "theme" ....

Spinach salad with mushrooms, red onions and panchetta - probably either with honey mustard or russian dressing.

Long Rice and Wild Rice with either vegetable or chicken broth

Teriyaki Salmon

Unsure of dessert at this time ...

we have greens, pork and other yummy items :) all to feed the soul and good for the health.

• Like 1

I’m reading all about the NYE food traditions and isn’t it pretty neat how different regions have different food traditions? If I was to revert to the traditions of my mother and father it would be something that included egg nog on my moms side and pickled herring on my fathers side.

What a combo that was!

• Like 2

Sourkraut and pork and smashed taters field peas and okra and collards and ham lol my favorites...the way I look at it is if I can sit down and eat thats a good start lol Happy New Years yall

Edited by OSU
  • Like 1