16 replies to this topic

#1 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

Who do you donate to? Just asking. No, serious question.

And please don't turn this into a political crap fest.

#2 Guard Dad

Guard Dad

The Propaganda Buster

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,171 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

There has been a lot of troubling info come out about most of the "big" charities. I usually try to give as directly to the source as I can, bypassing most of the opportunity for monkey business.

The Georgia Baptist Disaster Relief has a great record. I friend of mine served with them for several years and he had nothing but good to say about them.

https://missiongeorg...isaster-relief/

• mojo413 likes this

"The belief is that the political incorrectness involved in the discussion will destroy the community" - posted by pubby on 10-22-16

No, pubby; the only thing free speech will destroy are lies. - Guard Dad

#3 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:04 PM

There has been a lot of troubling info come out about most of the "big" charities. I usually try to give as directly to the source as I can, bypassing most of the opportunity for monkey business.

The Georgia Baptist Disaster Relief has a great record. I friend of mine served with them for several years and he had nothing but good to say about them.

https://missiongeorg...isaster-relief/

Thanks, and I get that re the large charities although some are very good.

Call me stupid, but I always donate for the animals, Red Cross, etc. Sounds like churches in the Carolinas are opening their doors when they can. The flooding is massive.
  • Guard Dad and OSU like this

#4 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,132 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

I have heard good things about Samaritans Purse... real helping on the ground.

;)

• cptlo306, lowrider, mojo413 and 1 other like this
A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#5 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

;)

Thanks! I've heard of them too. I so want to help, but with limited funds?....

I'll do what I can.

#6 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief 

Their admin budget is covered by the church donations, all relief donations go to actual relief. 

From their FAQ:

Yes, 100 percent of contributions designated by donors to an Advance Special account number go directly to the designated program. UMCOR uses other funding channels to cover non-program related activities such administrative overhead or communications. One source of that type of funding is the UMCOR Sunday offering. If you would like to know more about UMCOR Sunday and giving to UMCOR, please visit our How to Give web page.

• mojo413 likes this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#7 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:31 PM

Don't worry Trump knows what to do.

The_Quicker_Picker_Upper_Print_Ads_18496

• mojo413 likes this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#8 cptlo306

cptlo306

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:35 PM

Do you really have to make every thread about Trump?

• Dana and Captain Rhett Butler like this
This post is sarcasm.  Unless it's not.

#9 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

Lighten up skippy that's the problem with you wingers, no sense of humor.  

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#10 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:59 PM

Please don't. I have my political opinions, but with all due respect, I started this thread re what's going on in the Carolinas

Paper towels are not going to absorb all those rising rivers.

So...…………...back to my original point.
  • lowrider, Dana and Captain Rhett Butler like this

#11 Guard Dad

Guard Dad

The Propaganda Buster

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,171 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

I knew he would be the one.
  • Dana and Captain Rhett Butler like this

"The belief is that the political incorrectness involved in the discussion will destroy the community" - posted by pubby on 10-22-16

No, pubby; the only thing free speech will destroy are lies. - Guard Dad

#12 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:22 PM

Dang people!!!!!! Please leave politics and personal attacks out of this! Give it a rest, at least in this thread. Jeez...
  • OSU likes this

#13 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:42 AM

The Salvation Army has a consistent A+ rating for dollar donated to dollar reaching the people who actually need it. Samaritans Purse has a very good reputation also. While they have a high overhead and spend a lot on administration The American Red Cross is always visible at these disasters. I think prayer is a good idea also it costs nothing but time.

• mojo413 likes this

#14 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:01 AM

;)

Samaritans Purse was here in Paulding County after our flooding a few years ago. I know from personal interactions they are the real deal.
  • mrshoward likes this
Retired. I only work 12 noon to 1pm.
Most days I take an hour lunch break.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#15 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,448 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 AM

Here are some other ideas ...

WSBTV is doing a convoy of aid to the Carolina.  You purchase what you can afford and take it to their distribution centers.  They will take it to assistance groups for distribution.

https://www.wsbtv.co...ctims/834048086

For animals, contact Atlanta Humane.  I know they will be engaged and assisting.  I did see a story the other day where a local rescue (good mews?) already took in cats to allow for local rescues in the Carolinas to have room for cats who will be coming in after the storm. 

Good luck!

Thanks for being willing to assist.

• cptlo306 and juleebella like this
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#16 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,367 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:11 PM

How to help Florence victims

https://www.yahoo.co...-202040603.html

#17 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted Today, 08:09 AM

There are a number of rescues who have taken animals in from flooded shelters across N Carolina in desperate need of funds.  One of my friends is heavily involved in rescue there and has shared numerous posts. 

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics