Paulding.com

Donald Trump's war against ... well everything has markets nervous his threats against Iran has oil markets steadily on the rise.

"Concerns that President Donald Trump is about to impose new sanctions on Iran have sent oil prices climbing, and gas prices are coming along for the ride."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/02/news/3-dollar-gas/index.html

On the page I read your story I noticed an ad for a Chevrolet spark EV for $8400 that is probably in California or Washington State. I didn't click on the ad because I found one late last January for $9000 and picked it up. Figuring the cost of gasoline at $3.00/gal and the fact that running around I get 5.6 miles/kw and a KW costs me through Greystone about 9.75 cents, I figure my dollar equivalent of driving my EV works out to 172 mpg$.

Fact is, the higher gasoline goes, the further I can go on the dollar equivalent of a gallon :)

I did this because I knew that if Trump were in Putin's pocket, one of things he would do is figure out all the ways he could screw things up to raise the price of oil because, well, oil is about the only thing that puts money in Putin's pocket. Russia is kind of like Venezuela in that respect.

For all you anti-tax folks, let me say that money is money and if you're supporting a regime that pursues policy that raises your cost of living in terms of food, fuel or housing, but lowers your taxes, you're still paying more.

pubby

And the United States will crank the fracking back up if needed and flood the market with oil, sending prices back down.

All you're seeing is oil speculation, which was the worst thing ever to happen to us as oil is concerned. Or you could just call it market manipulation.

Life will go on.

Saudi Arabia stopped supporting higher oil prices after Donald Trump said higher prices will not be accepted.

The worlds largest oil exporter was said to have planned to move oil prices up to $100 a barrel but now appears to have decided that prices should not move higher than $80 a barrel.

Oil prices fell Friday, sending shares of oil producers and refiners lower and airline shares higher after Saudi Oil Minister Khalid al-Falih said his country shared the anxiety of his customers over the rising price of oil. He went on to announce that the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries would likely boost its output in the second half of the year.

• Like 1

Saudi Arabia stopped supporting higher oil prices after Donald Trump said higher prices will not be accepted.

The worlds largest oil exporter was said to have planned to move oil prices up to $100 a barrel but now appears to have decided that prices should not move higher than $80 a barrel.

Oil prices fell Friday, sending shares of oil producers and refiners lower and airline shares higher after Saudi Oil Minister Khalid al-Falih said his country shared the anxiety of his customers over the rising price of oil. He went on to announce that the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries would likely boost its output in the second half of the year.

Trump has about as much of a chance controlling the price of oil as he does gong a week without lying.

You're a serious idiot!

You sure like making personal attacks in an effort to defend your sovereign or is it fuehrer. I never know when dealing with reactionaries as it is hard to determine their century of preference - 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th or 20th.

In regard Trump, his first act in boosting oil prices was to withdraw from the Paris accords. The message from that act is, let's all be stupid and burn more oil. Then he removed the fleet mileage goals for auto manufacturers figuring that if, on average, the national fleet of vehicles gets 15mpg instead of 25 mpg, that will sell more oil and contribute to demand. Justifying reimposing the sanctions on Iranian oil was just one of many acts. Hell, adding tariff's on solar PV - a 20 percent import tariff - is predicted to cost America 250,000 more jobs net as the solar industry was taking off and coal won't come back anyway (It is largely strip mining with automation and mega-heavy machinery.)

pubby

You sure like making personal attacks in an effort to defend your sovereign or is it fuehrer. I never know when dealing with reactionaries as it is hard to determine their century of preference - 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th or 20th.

In regard Trump, his first act in boosting oil prices was to withdraw from the Paris accords. The message from that act is, let's all be stupid and burn more oil. Then he removed the fleet mileage goals for auto manufacturers figuring that if, on average, the national fleet of vehicles gets 15mpg instead of 25 mpg, that will sell more oil and contribute to demand. Justifying reimposing the sanctions on Iranian oil was just one of many acts. Hell, adding tariff's on solar PV - a 20 percent import tariff - is predicted to cost America 250,000 more jobs net as the solar industry was taking off and coal won't come back anyway (It is largely strip mining with automation and mega-heavy machinery.)

pubby

Well, pubby, I've pretty much decided to play as ugly as you and your minions do.

I tried taking the high road for awhile...instead of responding to a personal attack I'd report the post and see if the mods would handle it. FOr the most part, they did little or nothing and even defended your minions at times. So I gave up on trying to play nice.

So it's back to "When in Rome". As I've said before; if you want your forum to be a kinder, gentler place, then lead by example. The tone of this forum is what YOU made it.

Well, pubby, I've pretty much decided to play as ugly as you and your minions do.

I tried taking the high road for awhile...

You wouldn't recognize the high road if you had GPS, a stack of maps and a guided tour.

So, when gas prices were over $4.00 a gallon back in 2003/2005 (not sure of the exact year), Bush was in office. No matter. The problem at that time were storms in the Gulf and a broken major pipeline, I remember trying to get home from work, on empty, and too many stations had no gas. Fun times.

Reality is...no president has very much direct control over oil prices. They can have some temporary influence such as releasing the strategic oil reserves in emergency situation, and their energy policies can affect long-term prices. That's about it.

It's all about supply and demand and speculation. In other words...market forces. Oil suppliers can manipulate that by reducing or increasing their production, but again that's usually a temporary thing. The reason prices are rising a bit right now is because speculators see potential for trouble in oil producing countries and they use it as an excuse to raise prices. Unless something actually comes of this that affects production, the market will react and prices will likely go back down before long.

• Like 1

Reality is...no president has very much direct control over oil prices. They can have some temporary influence such as releasing the strategic oil reserves in emergency situation, and their energy policies can affect long-term prices. That's about it.

It's all about supply and demand and speculation. In other words...market forces. Oil suppliers can manipulate that by reducing or increasing their production, but again that's usually a temporary thing. The reason prices are rising a bit right now is because speculators see potential for trouble in oil producing countries and they use it as an excuse to raise prices. Unless something actually comes of this that affects production, the market will react and prices will likely go back down before long.

Yeah, like when the US reinstated full sanctions on the Iranians for their oil exports effectively cutting their export sales overnight.

Oh, and didn't DJT do that 'unilaterally?' ... why that 'unilateral act' by a president did kind of impact the price of oil.

I do admit, in the days of a responsible presidency, where mention of companies and a willingness to take a broad set of concerns into consideration, the ability of the presidents past to move markets was intentionally limited. But we're in the age of Trump and all those kinds of notions ought to be thrown from the train.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a half-dozen investigators in Mueller's back room looking at his public statements and looking to connect the dots to determine what favored 'cabal' are showing themselves way too smart in profiting from prior knowledge of what is said.After all, a half-point boost over ten million shares is a cool $5 million in trading profits in a day.

When you're a money-motivated game player, you look for every, and I mean EVERY ANGLE. I mean it is a lot easier than selling steaks.

pubby