13 replies to this topic

#1 mimosaflower

mimosaflower

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

Florida has proposed a bill to leave the time alone and not have to change in fall and spring.  Do you wish that Georgia would stop doing the time change?  I kind of wish it would stay either one way or the other.

• Jamie Weaver, lowrider and CitizenCain like this

#2 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:14 PM

What about little children needing to be in bed by 8-8:30P on during school sessions?

Maybe we should switch back to the original time zone.

Here is the 1913 map:
Spoiler

• october likes this

#3 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,612 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

I would like it if we didn't change time.  I remember when my kids were little how difficult it could be to get them to go to bed at 8:30 because it was still daylight outside.

Golly gee willickers.

#4 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

I live for daylight savings time (I guess that's the one we are switching to this weekend?). Being a contractor and having a small farm I need the extra daylight. If they keep one keep the spring one. I hate the short Winter days it makes everything tougher.
  • rednekkhikkchikk and lowrider like this

#5 grumps

grumps

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

ditto

I live for daylight savings time (I guess that's the one we are switching to this weekend?). Being a contractor and having a small farm I need the extra daylight. If they keep one keep the spring one. I hate the short Winter days it makes everything tougher.

#6 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,764 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

i love dst   also posting so i can check and see if my time is set right on here  lol 

yep it is

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#7 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,882 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

It's Daylight Saving Time.  No "S" on the end of "Saving."

I'd be fine with no longer changing and staying on Standard Time year around.

• CitizenCain likes this

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#8 mach4

mach4

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

I dont understand why all of a sudden (past 3-4 years) there is being such a big deal being made about the time change. I am really trying to understand the issues being raised, but...

I dont get it. Your body will get in the groove in a couple of days..

Just go to bed earlier? :lazy:

• The Sound Guy and october like this

#9 J'smom

J'smom

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

I just hate having to use a flashlight to walk my kindergartener to the bus stop in the morning now. Our neighborhood has streetlights just in the very front, so the back 2/3 are pitch black. I do appreciate it at night when looking at the stars, but it's dangerous at the bus stop.

#10 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

Me too.  Whether it's biological or a brain chemistry thing I don't know, but the short days and long nights along with bare trees and general gloom and cold just drag me down and it literally lasts from the day we go back to standard time until DST starts again.  If I had to choose, it would be DST year round.

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#11 Jamie Weaver

Jamie Weaver

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

I heard something that I thought was funny....

Follow the money!  The Big Golf lobby is pouring money into daylight saving time.

- Jamie

Edited by Jamie Weaver, 13 March 2018 - 08:35 AM.

"I have always tried to [tell the truth], but the Russians made me do it."  - Hillary Clinton

#12 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

I remembered DST being extended a while back and looked it up.  I found it's been changed more than I remembered:

In 2005, DST was extended to start earlier and end later by 2 - 3 weeks, extending DST by 4-5 weeks total.   It used to start on the first weekend of April and end on the last Sunday in October, which would tend to make it lighter in the morning for the kids.  The original plan in 1966 was the last Sunday in April to the Last Sunday in October.   Now it's the 2nd Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November. 

Interesting, Wikipedia says something close to Jamie:   

The United States Chamber of Commerce has praised the extension of daylight's saving under the 2005 law, which increased the amount of shopping and commerce from after work in evenings. In the golf industry, the group has noted exceptional increase in revenue of "$200 million in additional sales of golf clubs and greens fees".[15] The extension of Daylight's Saving has also had a notable impact on Halloween and candy sales.[16] Wyoming Senator Michael Enzi and Michigan Representative Fred Upton advocated the extension from October into November especially to allow children to go trick-or-treating in more daylight.[17] In some areas, the extension of daylight saving time in March and November has pushed back sunrise to as late as 8:30 am.[16]

I was too young to remember, but found that the US did experiment with year round DST in 1974-1975.  (I was 12)   Wiki reports the trial was hotly debated.   Children having to stand at bus stops in the dark was the major concern.  

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#13 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

The fact is people die because of these time changes. Accidents increase, people become irritable and instead of saving cost millions.

https://www.inc.com/...easily-fix.html

Daylight Saving Time isn't just unnecessary. It's also wasteful, cruel, and dangerous.

https://www.theatlan...-saving/387175/

Edited by CitizenCain, 13 March 2018 - 10:45 AM.

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#14 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Between devices that update the time themselves and that most wonderful concept ever created by civilized man, retirement  :lazy:  :good:  :drinks:  :yahoo: , well, let me quote Rhett. Frankly my dear........

That being said, if there were to be some action taken that would keep it from being dark at 5:30pm any time of the year, that would be fine by me.

Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics