Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Hiram Police Chief Todd Vandie Wants His Resignition To Stop An Investigation.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

Channel 2 investigative reporter Nicole Carr uncovered the resignation letter of the Hiram police chief but when she visited police headquarters to ask them about it, they locked the doors on her.

Through a tip and an open records request, Carr discovered Police Chief Todd Vande is on his way out amid a private investigation into his department's operations. 

In the letter, Vande says he wants his resignation "to eliminate the council's need to discuss in any detail the findings of that investigation."

Once the chief sent someone to tell Carr he was declining an interview about his resignation letter, we pulled around to the front of the building to shoot video, and she heard the front door of the public building locked behind her.

Why was the door locker on Nicole Carr, who was only asking questions regarding Chief Vande? 

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#2 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Exclusive: Well this is a first.... A Metro ATL police department locked the front doors of a PUBLIC safety HQ bldg when we came to ask about the Chief’s resignation and his request to disregard and conceal the findings of a private investigation into his time there

• The Postman likes this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#3 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,162 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

That really is kind of special.

pubby

#4 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

That really is kind of special.

pubby

He was known as VandeZande, here in Woodstock, Pubby! 

Todd VandeZande, a 23-year veteran law enforcement officer, started his law enforcement career in the City of Woodstock where he fell in love with being a public servant. Since that time, he has served in other metro Atlanta agencies such as the Marietta Police Department and, most recently, the City of Canton where he rose to the rank of Assistant Police Chief. While in Canton, he had oversight of 47 officers and a $3.2M annual budget.

VandeZande possesses advanced law enforcement certifications by the Georgia Police Officers Standards and Training Council and is a graduate of the University of Louisville, Southern Police Institute and Columbus State University, Professional Management Program. He has a master's in public administration and a B.S. in Political Science, magna cum laude, both from Kennesaw State University.

https://patch.com/ge...ew-police-chief

1db214e2183ef6d9f3bed6a174404e16.jpg

Edited by The Postman, 05 February 2018 - 08:01 PM.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#5 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

CC I messed 

A sudden police chief resignation. A private, taxpayer-funded investigation, and a police department that locks HQ (public) doors in the middle of the day when a news crew shows up...Exclusive at 6 @wsbtv

Whatever happened to public trust, which we can be assured is open and direct. We can't have that if cops lock the door to the police precinct to keep us from the truth.

What the Sam Hell are we to think?    

Edited by The Postman, 05 February 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#6 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

You know you never say anything good about our county.  I am sure wherever you live you ave plenty to take care 0of without bashing 

our county.  If you were done wrong has nobody ever taught you about forgiveness.  You are one reason nobody come on this sight anymore.

• Captain Rhett Butler likes this

#7 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

You know you never say anything good about our county.  I am sure wherever you live you ave plenty to take care 0of without bashing 

our county.  If you were done wrong has nobody ever taught you about forgiveness.  You are one reason nobody come on this sight anymore.

TP has been bitching about his damn driveway for many years.

• El Zorro likes this

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Plain and simple.

The Hildabeast IS a despicable CESSPOOL of CORRUPTION.

#8 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Well I don't live in Hiram but I do live in the county and whatever is going on should not be shrouded in secrecy.  

I am pretty surprised by the lack of concern from at least people who do live in Hiram, and the response to someone who is only sharing information. 

Pretty sure ApolloBeachRetiree doesn't even live in Georgia anymore...

• The Postman, Brian, Jamie Weaver and 4 others like this
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#9 Domestic Violence by Proxy

Domestic Violence by Proxy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

With forgiveness should there be no accountability? Repentence, Restitution, Responsibility?

• The Postman, Jamie Weaver and october like this
Tonny%20child%20abuse%20color%20of%20law

#10 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

You see people post day after day complaining about government corruption but when suddenly it hits closer to home it's no longer corruption now it's bashing ? WSB sent a reporter to get to the bottom of this and allow officials to straighten it out but were greeted by locking the doors to a public facility. That does not give the appearance of a government that has nothing to hide. Thanks for sharing  TP.   

Edited by CitizenCain, 06 February 2018 - 12:53 PM.

• The Postman, The Sound Guy, Jamie Weaver and 1 other like this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#11 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

You see people post day after day complaining about government corruption but when suddenly it hits closer to home it's no longer corruption now it's bashing ? WSB sent a reporter to get to the bottom of this and allow officials to straighten it out but were greeted by locking the doors to a public facility. That does not give the appearance of a government that has nothing to hide. Thanks for sharing  TP.   

Thirteen officers have left the department since chief VandeZande took over in 2013. We're only talking an approximate 21-officer force so the recent departures of new and veteran officers alike were of great concern to the City Council. Enough so that they hired private investigator Jim Baker, who presented his findings to the council during a closed-door, executive session on Tuesday night.

Whatever Baker found, it's something Vande Zande doesn't want to be discussed.

We ran into a helpful officer in the parking lot of the police station around lunchtime and he offered to call the chief for us. The chief, in turn, sent his own message while we were parked outside.

He sent that officer out to say he declined an interview and then they locked the doors to the police department, a public building, so we couldn't get back in.

The investigation won't become a public record until later this month, but former and current officers describe a hostile work environment to us.

It's in line with the reason behind Vande Zande's 2012 termination from the assistant chief position in Canton.

In this termination letter, then-Chief Robert Merchant told Vande Zande, his "lack of strong and effective leadership had had a profound and negative impact on employee morale and performance."

The fact that Vande Zande isn't willing to discuss his unique request to conceal the investigators findings doesn't sit well with some city residents.

"Something seems fishy. He needs to be looked into. Absolutely. Without a shadow of a doubt," said resident Roger Allen.

The city's mayor has not returned a message about the conditions of Vande Zande's request.

On Tuesday night, the council is set to vote on more money, about $2,000 to finish paying for the private investigator's work.

We'll be able to access the records, by state law, later this month.

Vande Zande's resignation is effective in mid-April.

Edited by The Postman, 06 February 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#12 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

TP has been bitching about his damn driveway for many years.

What does my driveway have to do with chief VandyZandy not wanting the Hiram police department investigation to be public knowledge, ABR?  

• october likes this

#13 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

#releasetheinvestigation

He’s going to resign and is requesting the council be through with him?

Yeah I’m wondering where is the accountability?
  • The Postman, The Sound Guy and jenilyn like this

#14 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

#releasetheinvestigation

He’s going to resign and is requesting the council be through with him?

Yeah I’m wondering where is the accountability?

He isn't worried about a job, Lo, because he has worked in several Georgia towns. I guess he likes to move a lot.

From Canton GA, after being dismissed as assistant chief of police, he became chief of police in Hiram. He won't miss a day of work because he probably already has something lined up.   

#15 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,716 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

http://www.mdjonline...768e275c2a.html

Hiram's police chief has resigned amid an investigation into employee grievances against him.

However, the investigation into alleged employee morale issues and high turnover showed he did not violate any laws, the city manager said today.

City Manager Jody Palmer said Chief Todd Vande Zande submitted a letter of resignation Jan. 30 prior to a city council meeting later the same day that said he was leaving the job April 16.

At the meeting, an official with the firm Southern Professional Investigations told council members during a closed-door session that its preliminary findings from the personnel investigation showed "there were no violations of state, federal, or local ordinances," Palmer said.

"The matter remains under review and the final report is in the process of being submitted to the City Council for its consideration," Palmer said.

The council was to consider spending about $2,000 tonight to close out what it owed the investigation firm. It has spent at least $7,500 on the probe.

The city council voted in early December to hire the firm headed by Atlanta private investigator Jim Baker to interview current and past officers about unspecified “past and present morale issues and grievances in the Hiram Police Department.”

Vande Zande said at the time he supported any effort to find ways to improve working conditions in the department. He also said he did not know of any specific incidents which prompted the council’s action.

Councilwoman Kathy Carter said in December the council wanted to discover if issues other than pay factored into Hiram officers’ decisions to leave the department.

Vande Zande has a history of administrators' problems with his leadership. The city of Canton terminated him from his former job as assistant police chief in 2012 after city officials said his management style negatively affected officers' morale and performance, according to news reports. Vande Zande said at the time his termination was politically motivated.

However, two former Hiram city managers resigned in recent years and cited a lack of council support for finding revenue sources other than sales tax and fees to support needed staff and services, including salaries for the police department. The city of about 3,000 does not impose a property tax and most council members have opposed establishing one despite voters recently approving exemptions on senior residents' properties.

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#16 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

I think VandiZandi is a good chief of police, whose principles may not go along with a far-right conservative agenda. His presentation of an award to Officer Joseph Crossen may not have faired well with other Hiram police officers.

The investigation, I hope, will clear up any biased behaviors within that department, regardless of the Chief no longer wishing to participate.    

594a4fdbb099e.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C12

Edited by The Postman, 07 February 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#17 Jamie Weaver

Jamie Weaver

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

I think VandiZandi is a good chief of police, whose principles may not go along with a far-right conservative agenda. His presentation of an award to Officer Joseph Crossen may not have faired well with other Hiram police officers.

The investigation, I hope, will clear up any biased behaviors within that department, regardless of the Chief no longer wishing to participate.    

594a4fdbb099e.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C12

You take the cake sometimes, TP.  You need to see your Proctologist, because you just pulled that out of your arse and it isn't healthy.

- Jamie

"I have always tried to [tell the truth], but the Russians made me do it."  - Hillary Clinton

#18 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,700 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

You take the cake sometimes, TP.  You need to see your Proctologist, because you just pulled that out of your arse and it isn't healthy.

- Jamie

No, J W! The cake is given to me, and I eat it up. 

I like for people to know what "IS" is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics