#1 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

https://www.liveheal...and-not-a-cold/

Flu season is well under way, but not over yet. There are still some precautions you can take to avoid getting the flu, such as getting your flu shot or washing your hands after being in public. 

If you’re feeling under the weather, you may wonder whether it’s the flu or a common cold. We talked to Dr. Mia Finkelston, who treats patients using LiveHealth Online, about symptoms that may indicate it’s the flu and not a common cold. 

1. Your symptoms come on suddenly, rather than gradually, may be a sign it’s the flu. 
  2. You may feel extremely achy, where those with a cold have mild aches and pains or no pain at all. 
  3. You have a headache. Dr. Finkelston says, a headache is often one of the worst complaints, whereas those with a cold complain of congestion and pressure.
  4. You may feel nauseous. Sometimes there are gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea. This is not likely with a cold.
  5. You feel like you can’t get out of bed. “People who see me on LiveHealth Online with the flu cannot get out of bed or barely can get into the chair to call, while those with a cold are often calling from work because they were able to leave the house,” Dr. Finkelston said. 

If you know you’ve been exposed to the flu or if you think you may have the flu, Dr. Finkelston recommends seeing a doctor as soon as possible. You can use LiveHealth Online 24/7 to see a doctor from your cellphone, computer or tablet without leaving home.

Comments and opinions from Dr. Mia Finkelston are hers alone. This is content from an interview and is not considered medical treatment. 

I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely.
(Rhett Butler speaking to Miss Scarlett)

#2 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

A lot of people I know have caught the flu. I have only caught the colds.

I am concerned that it would be a lot worse later this year and next year. My great-great-grandparents died from one of worst flu in late 1918 and early 1919 almost 100 years ago.

I have read that medical doctors/researchers from CDC, WHO, etc., have been to Asia to try to mutate the virus, I guess to make them more deadily.

#3 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Every year we're told to get a flu shot.

Every year millions still get the flu despite the flu shot.

I ain't super smart, but I do alright and it seems to be this whole "flu shot" thing ain't really working out for us.

• Stiff likes this

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#4 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

Saw this couple of days ago. Not what I think of this:

A long-lasting, universal flu vaccine has been developed to combat the most deadly strain of the virus that is devastating the US this season, according to new research.

Researchers at Georgia State University said that this universal vaccine will only need to be administered once or twice in a person's life to permanently protect against the influenza A virus.

Current seasonal flu shots need to be updated each year to match the virus that scientists predict will infect people, resulting in strains offering less protection - such as this year's vaccine that is only 34 percent effective against the aggressive H3N2 strain.

This groundbreaking development could eliminate the need for seasonal flu vaccines altogether, protecting more people against the strain of the virus that has already killed 37 children and left thousands hospitalized in the US this season.

Full article: http://dailym.ai/2BLRJ9D

#5 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,264 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

A lot of people I know have caught the flu. I have only caught the colds.I am concerned that it would be a lot worse later this year and next year. My great-great-grandparents died from one of worst flu in late 1918 and early 1919 almost 100 years ago.I have read that medical doctors/researchers from CDC, WHO, etc., have been to Asia to try to mutate the virus, I guess to make them more deadily.

I think the CDC put this strain out purposely. It’s got everybody running to get their flu shot, which doesn’t work with this strain. The flu shots each year never cover the current strain.

It will increase sales for this year and for coming years because so many people have died from it.

More money for bonuses for $Big Pharma$ and the CDC. And they don’t give a shiit about people. Otherwise they would not be requiring 72 vaccines by the age of 18. They would not be giving babies, less than 24 hours old, the HEP B vaccine, which HEP B is acquired through sex and drug needles. They would not be giving tiny babies 6-8 vaccines at ONE visit to the doctor office.

And yes, I’ve got my tin foil hat on. ;)
  • Brian and CitizenCain like this

#6 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,264 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

Saw this couple of days ago. Not what I think of this:A long-lasting, universal flu vaccine has been developed to combat the most deadly strain of the virus that is devastating the US this season, according to new research.Researchers at Georgia State University said that this universal vaccine will only need to be administered once or twice in a person's life to permanently protect against the influenza A virus.Current seasonal flu shots need to be updated each year to match the virus that scientists predict will infect people, resulting in strains offering less protection - such as this year's vaccine that is only 34 percent effective against the aggressive H3N2 strain.This groundbreaking development could eliminate the need for seasonal flu vaccines altogether, protecting more people against the strain of the virus that has already killed 37 children and left thousands hospitalized in the US this season.Full article: http://dailym.ai/2BLRJ9D

I won’t be a part of their expierment. I’ve never had one and never will.

My dad had one in the late 80’s and contracted Guillian Barre and nearly died. He was paralyzed.
  • Brian likes this

#7 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,264 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

And I’ll say it again. There’s no mistaking the flu and a cold. I’ve had it twice. The Hong Kong flu in 1968 and then in 1998.

When you have the flu you can’t move because it hurts so bad and you feel like you’ve been run over by a Mack truck and if you laid there and died it would be ok.

It kills me when I hear people out and about say I’ve got the flu. No you don’t. You can’t get out of bed.
  • The Sound Guy, Brian, tbird and 2 others like this

#8 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Yes I had the flu last year.  It was HORRIBLE and you are correct, even getting out of bed is too much to even think about, much less actually try to do. 

Same with a true stomach virus, which I also had shortly after I had the flu.  Sick as a dog and only got out of bed when circumstances required it.

• The Sound Guy and lowrider like this
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#9 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,472 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

DIL who is a 5th grade teacher at a local elementary school in Paulding texted me this morning and said that 10 kids in her homeroom were out.

I asked re other classes, and of those she teaches, along with a couple of other teacher close to her classroom, the total came to 72 kids.

I've gotten the flu shot for the last 3 years, never used to, but I gave in.  I've normally gotten the shot mid Oct/Nov.  The illness I've gotten the last two years has hit me in Jan/Feb.  Horrible fatigue, like mono, which I've never had but friends and family have.

Doubt the flu shot takes 3 to 4 months to actually incubate the flu, but do wonder if I hadn't had it I might have been sicker.

Just saying

• The Sound Guy likes this

#10 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,716 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

knock on wood i have avoided the flu so far..... that is some serious stuff going around. 

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#11 Stiff

Stiff

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:37 PM

I am a type 1 diabetic and I don't give a rat's behind how many times they recommend me get flu shot....not falling for that trap. I thought I saw something online about flu shot was only 20% effective this go around. WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY IT'S ALL LIES NOW A DAYS.....WORLD IS GOING TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET.

#12 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,264 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

Because there are at least 4 strains out there, some folks are getting the flu twice.

My theory? The CDC put the strains out there to scare people into getting the flu shot. More flu shots and pneumonia shots equals more $money$ for $Big Pharma$ and their cohort, the CDC.

And yes, I have my tin foil hat on.
  • Brian likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics