13 replies to this topic

#1 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Didn't want to bust into someone else's topic and wanted to make the original topic optional. Its titled "And So It Begins", http://paulding.com/...d-so-it-begins/ it'll tell the backstory with original pics. The pics suck because of trees in the way. The new ones here are better.

Anyway, it's 5 months from my original complaint to the Marshals Office. I can't say how much of what's happened was caused by what, but I'd bet that was the key that turned the switch. About 3 months or so in, I happened to be working outside when a lady came walking thru with a guy and the one part of their conversation I over heard was about cleaning up. A couple weeks later they started.
Everything that had a salvage value was hauled off. A large part of the garbage was burnt. The house is empty and the campers that folks were living in are gone. All that's left is actual garbage, the boat, big screen, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/KmyzxyX.jpg
Scene left 5mths https://imgur.com/a/1zmoY
Boat scene right 5mths https://imgur.com/a/jTXW6
Scene right 5 mths
https://imgur.com/a/hTCTn
Believe it or not, this is progress. It's not as much progress or as fast as I'd like. They haven't bothered to contact me since the complaint, which is less than optimal. Every complaint about the way the process works in the other current topic is valid. But I said warts and all. At 6 months, I plan to contact the Marshal and ask for an update.

Edited by Blunt Trauma, 29 January 2018 - 03:26 PM.

Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#2 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Seeing these pics makes you want to pitch a fit.

We have laws on the books, why does it take 6 months to clean up this mess? The Marshal's Office is a joke., 

• The Postman likes this
I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely.
(Rhett Butler speaking to Miss Scarlett)

#3 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

We have laws on the books, why does it take 6 months to clean up this mess? The Marshal's Office is a joke., 

I think whoever is responsible for that mess is either a good-old-boy or is a close friend to one of the good-old-boys.  

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#4 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

If you want the actual, non-hyperbolic, answer. Their process was once purely a civil matter and as a result it was soooooooooper slow. Not so very long ago that was changed so that now when they do take an action it's a criminal matter. That was done with the intent of adding teeth to the enforcement and to speed the process. I said "intent", that is not always totally reflected in results. And I say not totally because to get this far in the past could have taken exponentially longer. 

Unfortunately or not, what we have now is a criminal process that is being approached by a bureaucratic office with the mentality that this was very shortly ago not so severe a thing in a "rural minded" (read: "stay out of others business") area. Now when they move against someone there is a possible, however unlikely, jail sentence involved. There is a HUGE difference in the mindset of a law enforcement officer and/or a law enforcement agency, than the mindset of paper pusher or public service agency/office. Imagine you made a career out of working within a system to get done what you can.Then one day the powers that be decide it's your job to take peoples money and/or put them in jail. I'd have my toe WAY YONDER out in front of me hoping that would be all that got blowed off as I moved thru my workday. 

To tell the truth, I don't really think I'd want a county office with law enforcement powers cowboying around to the point they're rolling up on my place telling me what to do with my property and issuing tickets with a gun on their belt. That's a bad look.

• The Postman likes this
Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#5 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Law enforcement powers work against justice, in Paulding County, Blunt Trauma! I know that for a fact.  

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#6 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,585 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

If you want the actual, non-hyperbolic, answer. Their process was once purely a civil matter and as a result it was soooooooooper slow. Not so very long ago that was changed so that now when they do take an action it's a criminal matter. That was done with the intent of adding teeth to the enforcement and to speed the process. I said "intent", that is not always totally reflected in results. And I say not totally because to get this far in the past could have taken exponentially longer. 

Unfortunately or not, what we have now is a criminal process that is being approached by a bureaucratic office with the mentality that this was very shortly ago not so severe a thing in a "rural minded" (read: "stay out of others business") area. Now when they move against someone there is a possible, however unlikely, jail sentence involved. There is a HUGE difference in the mindset of a law enforcement officer and/or a law enforcement agency, than the mindset of paper pusher or public service agency/office. Imagine you made a career out of working within a system to get done what you can.Then one day the powers that be decide it's your job to take peoples money and/or put them in jail. I'd have my toe WAY YONDER out in front of me hoping that would be all that got blowed off as I moved thru my workday. 

To tell the truth, I don't really think I'd want a county office with law enforcement powers cowboying around to the point they're rolling up on my place telling me what to do with my property and issuing tickets with a gun on their belt. That's a bad look.

When I worked as a police officer in Michigan, we had to do code enforcement such as this.  Our department's policy was to enforce the codes when a complaint was made by a neighbor.  If the codes were violated, we were to give the property owner a reasonable amount of time to comply with the code.  For example, if they had a couple of junked cars on the property we would give them 7 days to have them removed.  If in 7 days they were not removed, then a ticket was issued with a court appearance date established.  Property owners in violation of such codes often took measures to comply with the codes before going to court.  It was an easy process.

Golly gee willickers.

#7 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

I forgot to mention, if you look real close at the pictures, that if SOME of y'all (you'll know who you are) bought wood out of this garbage pile this past couple months, FYI, a lot of that wood didn't belong to them. They cut it off the rental property they turned into a garbage pit.

That should of read "past few months".

Edited by Blunt Trauma, 30 January 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#8 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

When I worked as a police officer in Michigan, we had to do code enforcement such as this.  Our department's policy was to enforce the codes when a complaint was made by a neighbor.  If the codes were violated, we were to give the property owner a reasonable amount of time to comply with the code.  For example, if they had a couple of junked cars on the property we would give them 7 days to have them removed.  If in 7 days they were not removed, then a ticket was issued with a court appearance date established.  Property owners in violation of such codes often took measures to comply with the codes before going to court.  It was an easy process.

In Paulding County, E Z, it depends on who you are rather than on what the code says. If the Good-Old-Boys say you are trespassing on a public street, and the Good Old Boys are on the side of the person accusing you of trespass; you're trespassing. It doesn't matter what the code says. Even after you take it to court, they try to make out like "You Won," when you didn't win a damn thing. It was already an ordinance. 

The only thing you win is a huge lawyer fee to have to pay.  

Edited by The Postman, 30 January 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#9 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

While I understand the wood was not theirs to sell and am in no way defending their actions or the theft of the trees, this is apparently a case of someone not properly managing a rental property and it seems to me they bear as much of the blame as the tenants and the 'guests' of those tenants. 

Hopefully they will either learn from this ordeal to be better landlords or maybe just get out of the rental business altogether if they don't have any more respect than that for the neighbors/neighborhood.   There is more to it than collecting the rent every month...

And yes I know eviction is a lengthy and cumbersome process, however, proper screening of tenants and taking action at the first sign of a problem could have prevented this from becoming such an ugly mess for the rest of the neighborhood.

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#10 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

While I understand the wood was not theirs to sell and am in no way defending their actions or the theft of the trees, this is apparently a case of someone not properly managing a rental property and it seems to me they bear as much of the blame as the tenants and the 'guests' of those tenants. 

Hopefully they will either learn from this ordeal to be better landlords or maybe just get out of the rental business altogether if they don't have any more respect than that for the neighbors/neighborhood.   There is more to it than collecting the rent every month...

And yes I know eviction is a lengthy and cumbersome process, however, proper screening of tenants and taking action at the first sign of a problem could have prevented this from becoming such an ugly mess for the rest of the neighborhood.

Your right on all counts, but......and I hate to but you at all here, but.....how it came to be was like heating a frog in a pan. The old man that lived there let people take advantage of him. He also seemed to have a fondness for the downtrodden. He died and the out of town son kept on renting to the same people. In time it ended up a commune and garbage dump. I think they were doing clean ups for the wood and salvage metal. It wouldn't have taken but one trip for him to see what was what. And I'd bet now his property is pretty much worth the value of an improved lot minus what a finish to the clean up will cost. I imagine he ends up hurt enough to learn something.

Edited by Blunt Trauma, 30 January 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#11 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

Well, if the Marshall sees you with an uncovered load on 7 hills blvd, he'll take an immediate interest in you.  Just sayin'.

• Dana likes this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#12 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Since its related to this topic (hint, hint), if anyone down to the courthouse still comes thru here, and you know of anybody looking for a possibly "lost" 20+ foot uhaul welllllllll....

#13 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

Your right on all counts, but......and I hate to but you at all here, but.....how it came to be was like heating a frog in a pan. The old man that lived there let people take advantage of him. He also seemed to have a fondness for the downtrodden. He died and the out of town son kept on renting to the same people. In time it ended up a commune and garbage dump. I think they were doing clean ups for the wood and salvage metal. It wouldn't have taken but one trip for him to see what was what. And I'd bet now his property is pretty much worth the value of an improved lot minus what a finish to the clean up will cost. I imagine he ends up hurt enough to learn something.

Yeah I had a feeling it would turn out to be a &*^% situation like that when I made that post but of course I did it anyway. 

Hopefully it will be resolved in the near future.  It is a shame the county has let it go this long, considering the volume of straight-up garbage dumped on the property.

**Knowing a little about people who live/behave as you describe, I would say it was more of a lifestyle choice than 'downtrodden'-ness, but I imagine they told the old man a different story...

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#14 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,754 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

that is just nasty and lazy...   

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics