27 replies to this topic

#1 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Instead of filling up jails, wasting police time needed to fight crime and spending millions on enforcement California is looking to collect a billion dollars a year in new tax revenue .

$1 Billion In Marijuana Taxes...

“In an era of dwindling state resources, when we are looking to smaller governments, and an administration at the federal level that is looking to end funding to states in numerous ways, the discovered revenue from regulated legal cannabis markets can be a lifesaver to local law enforcement, substance abuse counseling and other social services,” said Leslie Bocskor of Electrum Partners. According to Bocskor, states are fighting the Justice Department's new war on drugs for purely fiscal reasons because the overall economic impact has been much higher than anyone expected.

With virtually every poll showing most Americans approve legalization and governors becoming dependent on the tax revenue to balance the budget and provide more state services, it will be hard to convince these states that rolling back legalization is a good thing.

https://www.forbes.c...s/#4fd88bda2c3b

• jenilyn likes this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#2 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

Common sense won again.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#3 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

Come'on Florida.!!!!!!

Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#4 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

The so-called taxes on the weeds there are outrageous!

#5 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

The so-called taxes on the weeds there are outrageous!

So are asset forfeitures no knock warrants, and crowded prisons.

• Whoa Willie and jenilyn like this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#6 cptlo306

cptlo306

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Legalize it nationwide and tax the crap out of it.

This post is sarcasm.  Unless it's not.

#7 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

Legalize it nationwide and tax the crap out of it.

Taxing the crap out of it will ensure that the black market remains strong...

Decriminalization of simple possession is a better approach.

;)

• ApolloBeachRetiree and Jamie Weaver like this
A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#8 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

Taxing the crap out of it will ensure that the black market remains strong...

Decriminalization of simple possession is a better approach.

;)

And after decriminalization who exactly will people be buying their pot from ? This while I assume the "war" on drugs continues ? 

13noknock-images-slide-GSRB-tmagSF-v3.jp

Bounkham Phonesavanh, who was known as Baby Bou Bou, in the hospital with injuries sustained from the flash-bang grenade.

#9 Shananigans

Shananigans

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

What does that baby have to do with marijuana?

Edited by Shananigans, 03 January 2018 - 10:15 AM.

• mrshoward likes this

#10 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

What does that baby have to do with marijuana?

You're a smart fella I think you can figure it out if you try real hard. 

#11 Shananigans

Shananigans

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

You're a smart fella I think you can figure it out if you try real hard.

Usually when people dont answer the question or say do your research that means they are trying to cover up the fact that they dont know. What does the baby have to do with this topic? Im just curious.

Edited by Shananigans, 03 January 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#12 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Shenanigans;

There are several notable cases including one in I think Georgia where local officers acting on a  I think a bogus tip, conducted a drug raid on a house.  To distract the non-criminals, they tossed a flash grenade through a window into the child's cradle causing the injuries.

That was off the top of my head but here is what you'd find with a search of the terms ==>  Baby Bou Bou

The case agent who allegedly provided false information to a Habersham County SWAT team that maimed a toddler has been charged with federal civil rights violations.

Attorney Mawuli Davis, who represents the parents of Bounkham “Bou Bou” Phonesavanh, the 19-month-old who sustained severe injuries to his face and chest, along with possible brain damage, after a stun grenade deployed during the May 2014 raid landed in his playpen, confirmed the charges to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Habersham deputy sheriff Nikki Autry, working with the multi-agency Mountain Judicial Circuit Narcotics Criminal and Suppression Team, was indicted on four counts of criminal civil rights violations, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

I was pretty close; I said cradle and it was instead a play pen :)  Obviously I didn't recall the year or specific location (other than Georgia). It wasn't a local incident and I doubt I even posted about it (although I'm sure it had a topic here.)

When you get my age you want to test your memory every now and then to see how you're doing.

pubby

#13 Shananigans

Shananigans

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Sure, I know that. But it doesn’t have anything to do with marijuana. That was a meth thing.
  • mrshoward likes this

#14 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Usually when people don’t answer the question or say “do your research” that means they are trying to cover up the fact that they don’t know. What does the baby have to do with this topic?

You may or may not have gathered I'm not a fan of this so called "war on drugs". mshoward suggest we just decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana and I assume it's business as usual after that. The baby you are pretending to know nothing about was severely injured by a drug raid on a house, a raid by the way that produced no illegal drugs. Maybe you approve of this war, maybe you don't have a problem with the militarization of Americans law enforcement, maybe your ok with giving up your Constitutional rights, I'm not.

We are in the middle of an epidemic opioid crisis. I do not see the doors to the homes of pharmaceutical CEOs being kicked in in the middle of the night, I don't see the Congressman that made this crisis legal being dragged off to jail why is that ? Maybe you approve of all that we have .

given up as a society for this stupid war maybe you see the needless deaths and  injury of people like the baby I posted as collateral damage I see it as an atrocity 

When you have some spare time you might want to read an article I found it's a little long but you seem to have the time.

Door-Busting Drug Raids Leave a Trail of Blood

https://www.nytimes....-drug-raid.html

#15 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

A baby injured in a meth raid, real or hoax, and the proposal to let someone of age smoke a legal joint in their living room, grown by a hippy in his back yard, and taxed by the government, has only one thing in common. It's usefulness as a disingenuous prop.

Edit: Or if you'd like, take the tax and the government out of the equation. Same commonality exists.

Edited by Blunt Trauma, 03 January 2018 - 11:45 AM.

Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#16 Shananigans

Shananigans

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

You may or may not have gathered I'm not a fan of this so called "war on drugs". mshoward suggest we just decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana and I assume it's business as usual after that. The baby you are pretending to know nothing about was severely injured by a drug raid on a house, a raid by the way that produced no illegal drugs. Maybe you approve of this war, maybe you don't have a problem with the militarization of Americans law enforcement, maybe your ok with giving up your Constitutional rights, I'm not.
We are in the middle of an epidemic opioid crisis. I do not see the doors to the homes of pharmaceutical CEOs being kicked in in the middle of the night, I don't see the Congressman that made this crisis legal being dragged off to jail why is that ? Maybe you approve of all that we have .
given up as a society for this stupid war maybe you see the needless deaths and  injury of people like the baby I posted as collateral damage I see it as an atrocity 

When you have some spare time you might want to read an article I found it's a little long but you seem to have the time.

Door-Busting Drug Raids Leave a Trail of Blood

https://www.nytimes....-drug-raid.html

I know who the baby is. I’m just wondering what he has to do with marijuana.

You’re against a war on drugs but an epidemic opioid crisis is a problem?

I’m so confused.

#17 ABTHREE

ABTHREE

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

I’m not a user but did partake back in the day. I say make it legal, tax it like alcohol and sell in package stores like beer,wine And liquor with the same restrictions. It’s probably safer for you than alcohol, just my opinion.
  • october likes this

#18 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

And after decriminalization who exactly will people be buying their pot from ? This while I assume the "war" on drugs continues ? 

"You're a smart fella I think you can figure it out if you try real hard." 

8) 

are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#19 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

It won't be long before Bayer/Monsanto takes over this booming industry. They don't give sh1t about the people.
  • october likes this

#20 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

20% of Californians now live in poverty, making California the state with the highest poverty level.  The state is also $400 billion in debt. 

Golly gee willickers.

#21 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

20% of Californians now live in poverty, making California the state with the highest poverty level.  The state is also $400 billion in debt. 

$6.1 Billion Budget Surplus in California

https://www.wsj.com/...rnia-1515624022

#22 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

$6.1 Billion Budget Surplus in California

https://www.wsj.com/...rnia-1515624022

They might want to build some housing and toilets for all those homeless people.

;)

Edited by mrshoward, 16 January 2018 - 04:29 PM.

- Joseph Addison

#23 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

They might want to build some housing and toilets for all those homeless people.

;)

Or look to the South for a solution.

JGwct6z.jpg

#24 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Or look to the South for a solution.

JGwct6z.jpg

Try again sweetheart, check the palm trees and mountains, that's California.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

Edited by mrshoward, 16 January 2018 - 04:45 PM.

- Joseph Addison

#25 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Try again sweetheart, check the palm trees and mountains, that's California.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

You're probably right, but you know in your heart there's a really good chance those folks moved to Cali straight out of Acworth.
  • CitizenCain and october like this

#26 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

You're probably right, but you know in your heart there's a really good chance those folks moved to Cali straight out of Acworth.

I've been all over... rednecks are everywhere.

8)

- Joseph Addison

#27 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I've been all over... rednecks are everywhere.

8)

Yes'm, no argument. I am hurt that you would think that I couldn't recognize my own kind enough to already know that.

#28 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Yes'm, no argument. I am hurt that you would think that I couldn't recognize my own kind enough to already know that.

I was objecting to CC's throwing the South under the bus for the California homeless problem...

Two of a kind.

;)

- Joseph Addison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics