Paulding.com

Whitefish No Bid Contract in Puerto Rico

Whitefish gets paid but they won't have any oversight on how the money is spent. This probably means change orders as well so the money will grow but the oversight will remain non-existent. Trump is going to make a fortune handing out corrupt no-bid contracts on the taxpayer's tab. MAGA!

"A leaked document revealing the $300 million no-bid contract awarded to a tiny energy company from the hometown of Trump Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke shows that both Puerto Rico and the federal government are banned from reviewing any of the costs or profits associated with the job."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/357473-whitefish-energy-contract-bars-government-from-auditing-deal

Nancy Pelosi wants the contract terminated. This is a deal between Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority and Whitefish. PREPA is owned by the Puerto Rican government. She thinks the feds should have the authority to interfere? Another example on how the Dems should have complete control over everything.

COWA deliberately attempted to mislead everyone with this topic.

Edited by El Zorro
  • Like 4

Nancy Pelosi wants the contract terminated. This is a deal between Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority and Whitefish. PREPA is owned by the Puerto Rican government. She thinks the feds should have the authority to interfere? Another example on how the Dems should have complete control over everything.

COWA deliberately attempted to mislead everyone with this topic.

Don't we hold him responsible for the actions of his appointees, or even the actions of his political party? It was ok for Obama so let's play by the same rules. This is the new and improved swamp, it's not what you know, but who you know. Being played just like local politics in towns across the nation.

Don't we hold him responsible for the actions of his appointees, or even the actions of his political party? It was ok for Obama so let's play by the same rules. This is the new and improved swamp, it's not what you know, but who you know. Being played just like local politics in towns across the nation.

Who from PREPA is a Trump appointee?

I know we're all supposed to be pretending that everything is going great in Puerto Rico but I read that there have been 900 cremations but only 50-something reported deaths?

Forgive me for not believing everything that comes from this administration.

• Like 1

I know we're all supposed to be pretending that everything is going great in Puerto Rico but I read that there have been 900 cremations but only 50-something reported deaths?

Forgive me for not believing everything that comes from this administration.

Forgive me for not believing all the criticism that you aim toward this administration.

Maybe doing a bit of research and thinking for yourself would present another non-political explanation. Of course, that wouldn't fit with your gullible acceptance of all the fake left-wing news, now would it?

PR has a population of 3.7 milllion (+/-) people. The reported death rate is 8.8/1000, meaning that there are about 32,500 deaths each year on the island, or, on average, about 2,700 per month. While the losses from the storm were tragic, they certainly didn't skew the overall death numbers of the population in any drastic measure.

So, the 900 cremations are about 1/3 of the deaths from natural causes. Given the fact that many funeral homes were likely destroyed as well as the access into cemeteries, it's not surprising that cremations may have spiked a bit over regular burials.

Edited by Glassdogs
  • Like 1

Forgive me for not believing all the criticism that you aim toward this administration.

Maybe doing a bit of research and thinking for yourself would present another non-political explanation. Of course, that wouldn't fit with your gullible acceptance of all the fake left-wing news, now would it?

PR has a population of 3.7 milllion (+/-) people. The reported death rate is 8.8/1000, meaning that there are about 32,500 deaths each year on the island, or, on average, about 2,700 per month. While the losses from the storm were tragic, they certainly didn't skew the overall death numbers of the population in any drastic measure.

So, the 900 cremations are about 1/3 of the deaths from natural causes. Given the fact that many funeral homes were likely destroyed as well as the access into cemeteries, it's not surprising that cremations may have spiked a bit over regular burials.

Everything I've aimed at this Administration has been because of Trump's own words. I don't follow a lefty media. It was an ABC News Report. Although you make a good point as far as the reason goes, I see you're very triggered by my post. Try to calm down a little it will help with your blood pressure. Edited by jenilyn

As Mark Anthony once said, they are all, all honorable men.

I'm sure that the owner of the Whitefish contractor who was a personal friend of Secy of the Interior Ryan Zinke didn't so much as mention his connection or suggest, as part of his sales pitch, that Zinke, the friend he was, would be willing to help make things move and happen positively for the Puerto Rican power utility. Heck, he may have been so persuasive as to suggest taht he could hire cousins or friends of the manager of the utility and others as non-essential supervisors at high salaries and even if the costs seemed high, good old Ryan, on whose desk the deals would land, would not treated with suspicion. And, he no doubt promised, he could do the job and do it well; he just needed the no-bid contract and, the manager didn't have any beach front property that he wanted to let go to a 'friend' who rebuilt the electric grid? He'd always wanted some beachfront island property ...

Everything is above board and he hadn't even talked to Ryan about his business effort in this project but you can call Ryan and ask him if he's a good guy ... don't ask anything else ... and he'll tell you that he's a fine, God Fearing Christian man who is a man of his word.

After all, people do good business but friends do great business and this is his offer of friendship.

pubby

As Mark Anthony once said, they are all, all honorable men.

I'm sure that the owner of the Whitefish contractor who was a personal friend of Secy of the Interior Ryan Zinke didn't so much as mention his connection or suggest, as part of his sales pitch, that Zinke, the friend he was, would be willing to help make things move and happen positively for the Puerto Rican power utility. Heck, he may have been so persuasive as to suggest taht he could hire cousins or friends of the manager of the utility and others as non-essential supervisors at high salaries and even if the costs seemed high, good old Ryan, on whose desk the deals would land, would not treated with suspicion. And, he no doubt promised, he could do the job and do it well; he just needed the no-bid contract and, the manager didn't have any beach front property that he wanted to let go to a 'friend' who rebuilt the electric grid? He'd always wanted some beachfront island property ...

Everything is above board and he hadn't even talked to Ryan about his business effort in this project but you can call Ryan and ask him if he's a good guy ... don't ask anything else ... and he'll tell you that he's a fine, God Fearing Christian man who is a man of his word.

After all, people do good business but friends do great business and this is his offer of friendship.

pubby

You've made a very misleading statement, "good old Ryan, on whose desk the deals would land..." The deal between PREPA and Whitefish needed no approval from the Department of Interior or any other federal agency as you insinuate. Once again, you intentionally attempt to misinform people in an arrogant attempt to show some type of illegal activity in the Trump administration on this matter. You're pathetic.

• Like 2

You've made a very misleading statement, "good old Ryan, on whose desk the deals would land..." The deal between PREPA and Whitefish needed no approval from the Department of Interior or any other federal agency as you insinuate. Once again, you intentionally attempt to misinform people in an arrogant attempt to show some type of illegal activity in the Trump administration on this matter. You're pathetic.

Never let a phony crisis go to waste, eh?

Edited by Glassdogs

Obviously, you don't understand sales to any degree. This is the way that people use influence to make sales. It is a well known technique called name dropping.

Are you denying that if some pencil pusher in FEMA were raising flags that the issue, if it ever came to disputes, could not make it up the chain of command? Are you denying that if problems did crop up that the personal friend of Ryan Zinke would not give him a call and ask for help if FEMA were balking on paying the bills submitted?

That is the essence of The sales pitch - that the Whitefish Mont. firm would have good insurance that no pencil pusher would be able to kill the billings ... for long ... because pressure could be exerted from on high.

If you don't see that, you're being misleading, duplicitous, naive or stupid and I know you aren't stupid.

pubby

Obviously, you don't understand sales to any degree. This is the way that people use influence to make sales. It is a well known technique called name dropping.

Are you denying that if some pencil pusher in FEMA were raising flags that the issue, if it ever came to disputes, could not make it up the chain of command? Are you denying that if problems did crop up that the personal friend of Ryan Zinke would not give him a call and ask for help if FEMA were balking on paying the bills submitted?

That is the essence of The sales pitch - that the Whitefish Mont. firm would have good insurance that no pencil pusher would be able to kill the billings ... for long ... because pressure could be exerted from on high.

If you don't see that, you're being misleading, duplicitous, naive or stupid and I know you aren't stupid.

pubby

I understand sales quite well and I also know there is no law against name-dropping. What you're trying to do is implicate wrong-doing on the part of this administration when it had absolutely nothing to do with the deal between PREPA and Whitefish. So what if the CEO of Whitefish dropped the name of the Secretary of Interior a few times in his negotiations with PREPA's director. Not against the law and no way you can blame the secretary. Bottom line is this, the administration had absolutely no involvement in the deal and it just burns your ass that there is none. You keep trying though.

• Like 1

Never let a phony crisis go to waste, eh?

OMG I can't believe how much effort some people on this site are using to try to find some way to implicate this administration into that deal. Just like they continue to implicate there was collusion between the Trump campaign and Russians to influence the election. They continue to demonstrate how divisive they are. Next thing you know, they will start calling conservatives "racists" because they didn't vote for Obama. Oh wait, they have already done that. My bad.

I understand sales quite well and I also know there is no law against name-dropping. What you're trying to do is implicate wrong-doing on the part of this administration when it had absolutely nothing to do with the deal between PREPA and Whitefish. So what if the CEO of Whitefish dropped the name of the Secretary of Interior a few times in his negotiations with PREPA's director. Not against the law and no way you can blame the secretary. Bottom line is this, the administration had absolutely no involvement in the deal and it just burns your ass that there is none. You keep trying though.

I know there is no law against it. Didn't say there was. It was a PR issue though and that is why they cancelled the contract. I was far from being 'judgmental' ... I was just explaining how a contractor with two (or twenty) people on staff was able to finagle a $300 million no-bid contract by stating his 'name dropping' pitch.

Pubby's fever dreams were debunked yesterday when the contract was canceled :

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/29/us/whitefish-cancel-puerto-rico.html?_r=0

8)

Not at all. I recognized how they got the contract and that the protestations that it was 'illegal influence' coming from the top down was illegal - and it would have been had Ryan Zinke been directing they get the contract. That his name was dropped was just one of those things that gave the appearance of 'a conflict of interest' which is what caused the pr problems.

So, in effect, the decision to cancel the contract was in my estimation a great thing that again proves the advice that county commissioners have been given for decades - Say no when there even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

If you look at the topic and comments, that was my first comment and I wasn't alleging any illegal activity at all so FU for saying I was. Saying so was deceptive and a lie but hey, that is just the kind of character assassination you guys excel in .

pubby

• 4 weeks later...

That wasn't what prompted the FU comment. That dealt with the fact that I just explained how the friend of a friend dropped names to get a shot at the business. The statement I objected to is that I objected or condemned the action of using contacts.

What I've objected to is when people use political connections to get jobs and then not do the job; but rather use their connections to defraud the people.

Basically what upset me was saying that I said something that I didn't say, which happens waaaay tooooo often with you guys.

pubby

PS: And you did the same thing mrshoward.