36 replies to this topic

#1 firefighterwife

firefighterwife

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

Does anyone know where I can get solar eclipse glasses? Library, Wal-Mart ANF Kroger are sold out.

#2 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,122 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#3 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

The library was out last week. I got 10 at Walmart Saturday

I also ordered some on Amazon but as long as it took it may be too late to order unless you want to pay express shipping.

#4 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

The best thing to do is call around. The library may have more. Don't know. Michaels doesn't carry them.

I saw a list of FB but I forgot. Seems like it has LOWE'S listed. Maybe someone else can post places.

This is a list of the best viewing areas in Georgia. I'm going to Dillard (probably with a hundred thousand other people).

https://www.google.c...e-2017-georgiaS

#5 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,122 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Click on this map for some detail as to where a total eclipse will be present. 

I'm close enough, here in Woodstock, to view more than a 95% solar coverade, by the moon. 

Map-of-Eclipse-Path-in-Tennessee-e150231

Edited by The Postman, 11 August 2017 - 02:09 PM.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#6 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Sellers on Amazon (and probably other outlets) have jacked up price on eclipse glasses.

Be wary of bogus eclipse glasses out there - try to find one made by companies like Rainbow Symphony anThousand Oaks Optical.

Perhaps, Party City and Spencer's Gift should have them in stock?

#7 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

Just looked at the ones I bought from Amazon back in early July and they are *not* a certified pair, even with the ISO label on them. 

At least they were cheap. (Which should have been a giveaway I guess).  Amazon took the page for them down completely, not even the "not available" page, so it looks like they know they were bogus.  (No offer to get my money back however)

I'm going to have to look around tonight for some.

AAS List of good vendors

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#8 Rose Luxemburg

Rose Luxemburg

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

I read somewhere that Paulding will be at about 96% black out.  Good enough for me.  I saw a FB post where the library had the solar eclipse viewing glasses a week or so ago and immediately hopped in my car and got some.  Glad I did then....

• The Postman likes this

#9 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

Just looked at the ones I bought from Amazon back in early July and they are *not* a certified pair, even with the ISO label on them. 

At least they were cheap. (Which should have been a giveaway I guess).  Amazon took the page for them down completely, not even the "not available" page, so it looks like they know they were bogus.  (No offer to get my money back however)

I'm going to have to look around tonight for some.

AAS List of good vendors

How do you know they're not certified?

I heard that you should only be able to see the sun through them. Not a light bulb or anything else. Only the sun. Mine are all good. But I ordered mine in Amazon about a month ago.

#10 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,537 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

http://www.wsbtv.com...-says/589036533  

The AAS previously advised people to look for evidence that the glasses comply with international safety standards for filters of direct viewing of the sun by ensuring the following was printed on the glasses: ISO 12312-2.

“But now the marketplace is being flooded by counterfeit eclipse glasses that are labeled as if they’re ISO-compliant when in fact they are not,” AAS said. “Even more unfortunately, unscrupulous vendors can grab the ISO logo off the internet and put it on their products and packaging even if their eclipse glasses or viewers haven’t been properly tested.”

[READ: Buyer Beware: Doctors warn of fake eclipse glasses]

You cannot watch the eclipse -- the first in 99 years to cross the entire U.S. -- without special glasses or you can do irreversible damage to your eyes, including going blind. Although the sun is no brighter during an eclipse than on a regular day, it is more comfortable to look at, meaning you can stare at it longer and damage your eyes.

Regular sun glasses are not enough to keep out the harmful rays of the sun.

“What you absolutely should not do is search for eclipse glasses on the internet and buy whatever pops up in the ads or search results,” AAS said.

AAS is now suggesting people ensure their glasses are ISO certified and come from reputable vendors that it has verified and listed on its website. 

The manufacturers listed are ones the AAS Solar Eclipse Task Force has had previous experience with “as well as companies whose products have been certified safe by authorities we recognize and whose certification we have confirmed to be genuine.”

NASA also recommends the glasses not be used if they are older than three years or are scratched.

[Here's where you can get free glasses for the total solar eclipse]

“The problem with fakes is that you can’t know if they’re letting unsafe levels of solar ultraviolet and/or infrared radiation into your eyes,” said Richard Tresch Fienberg, a press officer with AAS. “You’d never know until it’s too late, because our retinas don’t have pain receptors.”

I bought several pairs of glasses from different vendors on Amazon before checking the approved list. I didn’t realize one set was not on the list. The company’s Amazon site is no longer working and neither is its Facebook page. The brand is Cosmos Eclipse Glasses by POGO Industrial CO. I’m trying to reach the company.

GettyImages-514396754_8794923_ver1.0_640Ulet Ifansasti/Getty Images

Fienberg said he has not heard of the brand.

“I bought some counterfeits in a New Hampshire country store yesterday,” Fienberg said. “They’re printed almost the same as real ones from American Paper Optics, but there are numerous telltale signs that they’re fake.”

You cannot check yourself to see if your eclipse glasses are safe. But there are signs they are not safe.

• You should not be able to see anything through the lenses except the sun itself, or something comparably bright, such as sun reflected in a mirror.
  • If you glance at the sun through your glasses and it is uncomfortably bright, the glasses are no good.

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#11 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

How do you know they're not certified?

I heard that you should only be able to see the sun through them. Not a light bulb or anything else. Only the sun. Mine are all good. But I ordered mine in Amazon about a month ago.

I don't know for sure, but they do not have name of one of the good manufactures on them. Only label on it was "Sato's Optics"  and "Made in China" or something like that.  I read the info on the AAS site and real testing is at three levels,  IR, visible light and UV.    Even if they block visible light, they could be letting UV through which could blind you without you realizing it.   Also the glasses have the "2015" certification on them, but also the "do not use for more than 3 minutes" warning.  True 2015 compliant glasses don't have the 3 minute warning from what the AAS said.  Final clue to me was Amazon taking down the page completely, not the usual "Out of Stock" indication. 

Not worth the risk to me.   I have enough vision issues just getting old.  ( turning 55 sucks)

• El Zorro, GACat and october like this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#12 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,161 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

I'm not depending on any of the solar eclipse glasses when it comes to my eyes.  I'm going to videotape it and then watch it that way. 

I don't know for sure, but they do not have name of one of the good manufactures on them. Only label on it was "Sato's Optics"  and "Made in China" or something like that.  I read the info on the AAS site and real testing is at three levels,  IR, visible light and UV.    Even if they block visible light, they could be letting UV through which could blind you without you realizing it.   Also the glasses have the "2015" certification on them, but also the "do not use for more than 3 minutes" warning.  True 2015 compliant glasses don't have the 3 minute warning from what the AAS said.  Final clue to me was Amazon taking down the page completely, not the usual "Out of Stock" indication. 

Not worth the risk to me.   I have enough vision issues just getting old.  ( turning 55 sucks)

If turning 55 sucked for ya, wait until 60.  The only birthday to date in my life I did not look forward to.

Golly gee willickers.

#13 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

I checked mine and they're made in the USA.

And I can't see anything through them except the sun.

#14 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Mine are American Paper Optics out of Bartlett, TN

https://www.eclipseglasses.com/

#15 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

This is the one from 1984. I was working at Southern Bell and I remember it well. I still have my glasses. It was 99.7%

The one on August 21 will only be 96% here so it may not be as dramatic

That's why I'm taking the rugrat to Clayton/Dillard/Rabun Gap. The total solar eclipse will last 2 minutes and 38 seconds. It's something he will always remember and I've got my t-shirts to wear!

ATLANTA, May 30— From Louisiana to North Carolina, people today were afforded a rare glimpse of a nearly total solar eclipse that turned noontime into an eerie twilight and briefly framed the black shadow of the Moon in a spectacular necklace of light.

The ''diamond necklace'' effect, caused as the Moon passes directly in front of the Sun, was seen by millions of people who gathered here and in other cities in the South to witness the full effect of the eclipse, the last major solar eclipse in the nation this century.

Although the eclipse was most dramatic in the Southeast, some sort of partial eclipse was visible, where weather permitted, throughout all of the nation except Alaska. Rain and clouds obscured views of the eclipse along much of the East Coast, including New York City. Parts of North Carolina and Virginia, which fell along the line where the Moon cast its darkest shadow, also did not see the eclipse because of weather.

In Atlanta, where 99.7 percent of the Sun's surface was covered, street lights came on as skies began to darken some 20 minutes after noon. Howling Dogs Greet Eclipse

The temperature dropped six degrees, flowers closed their petals, dogs howled, pigeons tucked their heads under their wings as if to sleep and the whole city was bathed in a kind of diffused light, not unlike that accompanying the approach of a severe storm.

#16 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

Was lucky enough to be at one of the better spots to see the last one in downtown. The show ain't up in the sky. Wait until you see what the light does around you on the ground.

• lowrider likes this
Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#17 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

These 5 companies make eclipse glasses certified as safe. Here’s where you can find them: https://usat.ly/2w16u9y

#18 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Drove around a bit this morning to see if anyone still had any in stock.  No luck.  Manager at Walmart laughed and said they lasted about "30 minutes" after they put the display out.  Most of the Amazon are sold out with new stock in between the 16th and 22nd and they want a ridiculous amount for them.

I guess this close to the totality line, it's can be expected to be a fast moving item.  I did learn the Fry's Electronics In Houston Tx still has some in stock.  :)

Guess I'll take a lens and make a projector and watch it that way. That's the way we watched it in '84 at Southern Tech.

#19 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Have you checked Craig's list? Probably some there for a small fortune. They only cost a dollar.

#20 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

Might be worth to check out the Walmart and Home Depot stores in Rockmart and Cedartown. The stores there are rarely packed.

#21 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Might be worth to check out the Walmart and Home Depot stores in Rockmart and Cedartown. The stores there are rarely packed.

Didn't think of heading that way.  Oh well, headed to Cleveland for this week for work, maybe I'll find some there.  :)

• Brian likes this

#22 Jetasmom

Jetasmom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

just borrow a welders helmet, or if you want to really buy something, then buy just the replacement lens for a welders helmet at sears, or tractor supply or home depot, or northern tool, etc --- make sure it is for a electric arc welder protection and not the light-duty gas welder goggles / lens

Formally Jetsmom - edited to finally include the final baby's initial. ;)

#23 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

Heard this morning that Amazon was notifying customers who bought from sellers who couldn't produce documents of certification (or such), and issuing refunds.  Just thought you might want to check.

Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#24 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,811 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

We knew this would be a big event and ordered ours back in January.

We also booked our campsite just outside of Nashville in the path of totality back in January.  We got THE LAST spot in the campground.

Every campground in the path of totality has been booking up for the last year.

I'm excited and can't wait to see it!!!

• october likes this

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#25 october

october

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

We knew this would be a big event and ordered ours back in January.

We also booked our campsite just outside of Nashville in the path of totality back in January.  We got THE LAST spot in the campground.

Every campground in the path of totality has been booking up for the last year.

I'm excited and can't wait to see it!!!

I won't be camping. I'm going Blue Ridge, Ga. ride the train.

• The Postman, Blondiega1 and Dana like this

#26 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

I have ordered some viewers on Amazon last week. They are supposed to be here between the 15th and 21st, but the USPS.com tracker is showing "pre-shipment". Where the USPS sorting centre is, is located in southern Rockland county (outside of New York), I wouldn't be shocked if the viewers were lost/stolen. Not a big deal, the viewers cost me $24 plus shipping cost about $6-7.

Edited by Brian, 14 August 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#27 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

This is the one from 1984. I was working at Southern Bell and I remember it well. I still have my glasses. It was 99.7%

The one on August 21 will only be 96% here so it may not be as dramatic

That's why I'm taking the rugrat to Clayton/Dillard/Rabun Gap. The total solar eclipse will last 2 minutes and 38 seconds. It's something he will always remember and I've got my t-shirts to wear!

That's the one I remember. I was working at Fulton National Bank/Bank South on Marietta St. downtown Atlanta. A coworker and I made one of those little viewing boxes. She deserves the credit, I helped her but happened to be holding the box when a reporter ended up putting me on TV for my 5 seconds of fame.

Business people filled Woodruff Park, pigeons roosted, etc. It was so cool, and brought everyone out of their offices to a combined experience of a lifetime. Enjoy with your little ones! (Just hope it's still not cloudy/raining).

ATLANTA, May 30— From Louisiana to North Carolina, people today were afforded a rare glimpse of a nearly total solar eclipse that turned noontime into an eerie twilight and briefly framed the black shadow of the Moon in a spectacular necklace of light.

The ''diamond necklace'' effect, caused as the Moon passes directly in front of the Sun, was seen by millions of people who gathered here and in other cities in the South to witness the full effect of the eclipse, the last major solar eclipse in the nation this century.

Although the eclipse was most dramatic in the Southeast, some sort of partial eclipse was visible, where weather permitted, throughout all of the nation except Alaska. Rain and clouds obscured views of the eclipse along much of the East Coast, including New York City. Parts of North Carolina and Virginia, which fell along the line where the Moon cast its darkest shadow, also did not see the eclipse because of weather.

In Atlanta, where 99.7 percent of the Sun's surface was covered, street lights came on as skies began to darken some 20 minutes after noon. Howling Dogs Greet Eclipse

The temperature dropped six degrees, flowers closed their petals, dogs howled, pigeons tucked their heads under their wings as if to sleep and the whole city was bathed in a kind of diffused light, not unlike that accompanying the approach of a severe storm.

#28 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

Got mine today. Free at the library.

Edited by Stonewall, 15 August 2017 - 06:28 AM.

• lowrider and october like this

#29 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,537 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

kroger on 278 had them for about 30 minutes today... yes they had the ISO on them, and they were 2.00 a pair.  no one was buying them until they were moved up front by the registers lol 

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#30 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,428 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Let me know if you see some... we only need one pair.

:)

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#31 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

This sounds like fun!

How to Watch the Solar Eclipse Like a 1960s School Kid

:D :)

Hope I got the hypertext thing right!
  • CreativeOne, Dana and october like this

#32 october

october

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

This sounds like fun!

How to Watch the Solar Eclipse Like a 1960s School Kid

:D :)

Hope I got the hypertext thing right!

I might have do this as I have no glasses.

• Brian likes this

#33 Rose Luxemburg

Rose Luxemburg

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

I picked up four pairs at the library a few weeks back.  I only need two.  If someone needs the other two pair, I will let you have them- free..

#34 rosewitha

rosewitha

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

Rose Luxemburg I will take the two pairs when will be a good time to meet. Thanks in advance.

#35 Rose Luxemburg

Rose Luxemburg

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Glasses were picked up...

Edited by Rose Luxemburg, 16 August 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#36 rosewitha

rosewitha

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

I will take them if they don't pick them up.

#37 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

Heard this morning that Amazon was notifying customers who bought from sellers who couldn't produce documents of certification (or such), and issuing refunds.  Just thought you might want to check.

Got the email from them last week, they are refunding our purchase without us even asking.  Dang, good customer service, who would have thunk?

• tbird likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics