4 replies to this topic

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,391 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

This article in the NYTimes about the far-right's complaints about silicon valley's culture, bolted when it finally dawned on them that the first amendment does not prohibit private companies from discriminating against their hate speech.

It seems that companies from Google to Air B&B and Patreon have nixed activities by far-right anarchists who expect first class treatment.  For example:

At Airbnb last week, the company discovered that several writers and activists affiliated with The Daily Stormer, a white supremacy website, had used its website to book lodging for a right-wing rally in Charlottesville, Va., and were planning to use rented houses as after-party venues. Airbnb officials canceled the bookings and deleted the users’ accounts, saying that the gatherings violated the company’s “community commitment.”

Another crowd funding site Patreon, nixed a righ-winger's efforts to raise funds to disrupt a refugee rescue mission in the Mediterranean Sea saying they didn't have a problem with her political views; just the fact that it appeared she wanted to raise money to buy a boat that would then be used to somehow sink the refugee boat and kill the refugees.

Anyway, these right wing wackos are tired of having their fun ruined by tree-hugging lefty-pinkos so they are starting their own competing services that won't shut them down for their 'MAGA-like" ideas.

From the article:

In an attempt to build a buffer against censorship, some alt-right activists have begun creating their own services. Cody Wilson, who describes himself as a “techno-anarchist,” recently opened Hatreon, a crowdfunding site that bills itself as a free-speech alternative to Patreon. Gab, a Twitter clone, was started last year after Twitter barred several conservative users. RootBocks, a right-wing Kickstarter knockoff, bills itself as “a crowdfunding site that won’t shut you down because of your beliefs.”

Yep, "Hatreon" ... the 'hat(e is) re(ally)on is their crowdfunding site now.  I wonder if they'll fund klan groups who want to buy lengths of rope or neo-nazi's purchase of zyclon-B for their showers? 

I really do love the branding, it is soooo real :)

pubby

#2 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Is this different than the couple that owned a bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple?

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#3 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,391 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

I think the silicon valley companies think so ... Take the airbandb ...thing.  Folks from stormfront may have chosen homes to rent that were adjacent to a prominent black preacher or Rabbi (these are suppositions but it is possible) and they planned to burn a cross or hang a swastika from the tree for decoration at the 'after party.'  ... 

The owners who rented their house for that might be rather upset.

Ditto, there is a substantive difference between a fundraiser to help a family with surgical costs for their kid and the purchase of five tons of fertilizer for placement in the back of a rental truck that will be parked in front of the ICE holding camp.

The point is that folks from the extreme right have actually done things like the above (or close to it) but I'm wont to find an example of a gay couple using a wedding cake in the commission of a violent crime.

Of course if  you could find revolutionaries from the left - you know the bomb throwers we heard about in Germany in the 1970s or on a few US cities - organizations like the Symbionese liberation Army - who robbed banks around today, you'd be just as justified refusing them service.

The far right is just in ascendancy with the rise of Trumpism and the general threat of violence comes from the right. 

But just as I wouldn't confuse a gay couple getting married with bank-robbing revolutionaries, I wouldn't confuse them with groups like the KKK or stormfront.

pubby

#4 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:55 AM

Is this different than the couple that owned a bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple?

And how does this weigh in with the gym owner who refuses memberships to police & military?

I think radicals on all sides need to take a chill pill.

I worked 30+ years in concrete and pumping. I can only remember us refusing to do jobs for those who had proven they had not paid us in the past, or were known credit risks.
Retired. I only work 12 noon to 1pm.
Most days I take an hour lunch break.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#5 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,391 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

One of the elements of my privacy policy says that I will go to extremes to protect your privacy ... as long as I'm of the opinion that in doing so, you will make me party to a crime or criminal conspiracy.  In fact, if you read the privacy policy, you'd see that if I got that idea, I would reserve the right to rat your silly butt out to authorities without them even having to ask.  (Note, such a rattery would not necessarily result in the suspension of your services or any outward restrictions or notifications ... i.e. you would probably be advantaged if I or in the context of the topic, these national services were to simply ban your use of the service rather than collude in a sting operation.)

The point here is that if you're spooked about the actions of a particular customer, and this goes for brick and mortar outfits as well, sometimes you just discourage their participation and other times, you put a wire on them.

pubby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics