3 replies to this topic

#1 ericschief

ericschief

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

I have been trying to do research into apprenticeship programs for trades/careers for aspergers (autism) kids. There are a lot of web sites, but I'm not sure where to start. Anyone else with experience or knowledge of how, what, when & where these programs are in our area? Our "kid" is a young adult now and needs a future where he can support himself. Tried Wally World (no go), tried temp services for employment (nothing yet), even when thru GA Rehab/Vocational Agency (some help, mostly disappointing). Kid has GED/Drivers License, etc. the basics and is willing to work and learn a trade. Enjoys hands on work, not set in classroom (tried West GA Tech - requires those college courses just to get a welding certification). 

#2 grumps

grumps

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

I have been trying to do research into apprenticeship programs for trades/careers for aspergers (autism) kids. There are a lot of web sites, but I'm not sure where to start. Anyone else with experience or knowledge of how, what, when & where these programs are in our area? Our "kid" is a young adult now and needs a future where he can support himself. Tried Wally World (no go), tried temp services for employment (nothing yet), even when thru GA Rehab/Vocational Agency (some help, mostly disappointing). Kid has GED/Drivers License, etc. the basics and is willing to work and learn a trade. Enjoys hands on work, not set in classroom (tried West GA Tech - requires those college courses just to get a welding certification). 

Have you looked at chattahoochie tech they have welding and other blue collar type classes

#3 GGinGA

GGinGA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

I have been trying to do research into apprenticeship programs for trades/careers for aspergers (autism) kids. There are a lot of web sites, but I'm not sure where to start. Anyone else with experience or knowledge of how, what, when & where these programs are in our area? Our "kid" is a young adult now and needs a future where he can support himself. Tried Wally World (no go), tried temp services for employment (nothing yet), even when thru GA Rehab/Vocational Agency (some help, mostly disappointing). Kid has GED/Drivers License, etc. the basics and is willing to work and learn a trade. Enjoys hands on work, not set in classroom (tried West GA Tech - requires those college courses just to get a welding certification)

My son has Aspergers and he also tried West GA Tech for welding.  He quite after about 6 weeks, saying it was too much like high school.  He went to Georgia Trade School in Kennesaw (they just moved to Acworth I think) and has done very well.  He graduated with 4 welding certificaitons and was hired on at Caterpillar after graduation.  (He hated it and quit but that's another thread).  He works full time as a certified welder.  It is an awesome school with awesome teachers.  

• jenilyn likes this
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

If stress burned calories, I'd be a supermodel.

The Water Giver: "Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you'd have. It's about understanding he's exactly the person he's supposed to be. And if you're lucky, he might be the teacher who turns you into the person you're supposed to be."

#4 ericschief

ericschief

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Thank you. That's exactly what we've been looking for.  I'll look into that for him.

• GGinGA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics