15 replies to this topic

#1 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Over the last couple of years or so there's been more an more families of crows moving into the neighborhood. They'd get loud every once and a while, but pretty much kept to themselves. The numbers keep going up and there pushing into yards and out of the woods. These things are getting constantly more aggressive.

They'd scream at the old cat from the woods or the edge of the yard. But he wasn't interested in much but the porch, so they reached a balance.  It was even funny sometimes. There'd be crows screaming at him, just stressing out from the trees in the front, while he'd sit with his front paws hanging off the top step with his face towards the sun and his eyes closed, half asleep. 

Now they're chasing the kitten all the way onto the porch. They'll even sit and eyeball me when I come out to chase them off like they're making up they're minds whether or not they can take me. There is no choice as I see it. When the race is over I'm seeing a trip to Academy to purchase an air rifle. We're gonna start out with bb's as a discouragement, if that don't work we start dropping black feathered carcasses.

I didn't start it, but.......

Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#2 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Just had a couple of crows destroy a robin's nest on our front porch.

They are annoying critters.

Just be aware that GA actually has a crow season, it was November 5 2016 - February 28, 2017.  

<  Why you ask?  Because our idiot lawmakers in Washington keep insisting on writing laws on stuff they know nothing about.   So they wrote a "Migratory Bird" protection law trying to protect ducks, which actually ended up protecting Crows as well.   Idiots. >

From the GA Wildlife Crow Page:

NUISANCE

Crows have a reputation as agricultural pests and predators on songbirds and various other wildlife species. In this regard humans have often attempted to control their numbers. However, crow populations have remained stable and even increased in many areas, which is a testament to their adaptability. At present in Georgia crows can be controlled by lethal means anytime they are causing damage to agricultural crops.

UTILIZATION

Crows are a migratory game species in Georgia and can be legally taken as specified in the state hunting regulations. They are typically hunted in a manner similar to waterfowl using mouth calls and decoys. They are a challenging and sporting game bird and also provide excellent table fare when properly prepared.

So you might want to put some tomatoes in a pot or two on the front port before continuing. 

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#3 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

We've had an increasing amount of crows over the past few years. Last year I saw one pluck a baby bird right out of its nest and fly away. They're big meanies!!
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#4 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

"So you might want to put some tomatoes in a pot or two on the front port before continuing."

Absolutely "Sound" advice. Yeah ...that's bad......I'm leaving it in anyway.

Call me a rebel, a scofflaw, or just a crotchety old guy, but any animal that walks up, crawls up, slithers up or flies up onto my porch and is willing to sit, stand or lie there in a manner that challenges my right of supremacy on said porch (without a badge, even then it best be respectful) has, in my opinion (and for those few seconds that WILL be the only opinion that matters) forfeited any rights to protections afforded to them by any authority.

PS: (Just while writing this I had to get up and run them off. The cats a nervous wreck and I'm over it.)

Edited by Blunt Trauma, 24 April 2017 - 01:14 PM.

Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#5 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

We've had an increasing amount of crows over the past few years. Last year I saw one pluck a baby bird right out of its nest and fly away. They're big meanies!!

I've always had the impression that y'all were probably pretty close to being a neighbor. Just from reading posts. It may even be the same murder of crows, (yep, that's what a bunch of crows is called) that we're talking about.

• jenilyn likes this

#6 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

LOL, I gotcha covered!!   

This is a pretty good site on dealing with Crows:

CrowBusters!

Also includes jokes that are will fit right in with what is obviously the same sense of humor we both have:

What is an albino crow called?

A Caw-casian!

Where do crows hang out after work?

The Crow Bar!

Why should you never let a crow use your phone?

They make too many long distance caws!

crowjokes.gif

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#7 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,260 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Crows are a nuisance and aggressive. We have stupid neighbors that feed them. But then I know someone who shoots them.

We have a lot of blue bird nests, as well as red birds, robins, sparrows etc etc.

It seems like they have been genetically modified. They're huge. Must be all the GMO's. LOL

I'm say shoot 'em

Edited by lowrider, 24 April 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#8 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:15 AM

I have no idea they could be huge. Whenever I saw one, I assume they were buzzards.

My dog (an indoor dog) does not like them and will bark whenever she saw them in the trees or sky.

• october likes this

#9 OSU

OSU

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

Over the last couple of years or so there's been more an more families of crows moving into the neighborhood. They'd get loud every once and a while, but pretty much kept to themselves. The numbers keep going up and there pushing into yards and out of the woods. These things are getting constantly more aggressive.

They'd scream at the old cat from the woods or the edge of the yard. But he wasn't interested in much but the porch, so they reached a balance.  It was even funny sometimes. There'd be crows screaming at him, just stressing out from the trees in the front, while he'd sit with his front paws hanging off the top step with his face towards the sun and his eyes closed, half asleep. 

Now they're chasing the kitten all the way onto the porch. They'll even sit and eyeball me when I come out to chase them off like they're making up they're minds whether or not they can take me. There is no choice as I see it. When the race is over I'm seeing a trip to Academy to purchase an air rifle. We're gonna start out with bb's as a discouragement, if that don't work we start dropping black feathered carcasses.

I didn't start it, but.......

we feed 3 crows that come to our yard..they even call out to us to remind us if we forget...they have not bothered our cats yet, and we have been feeding them for a few years now....we feed all kinds of birds and we look at crows as just a big black bird lol..and really they are very smart...hope yours calm down ..good luck

Crows are a nuisance and aggressive. We have stupid neighbors that feed them. But then I know someone who shoots them.

We have a lot of blue bird nests, as well as red birds, robins, sparrows etc etc.

It seems like they have been genetically modified. They're huge. Must be all the GMO's. LOL

I'm say shoot 'em

I feed crows ..but I dont think I am your neighbor

• october likes this

#10 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,260 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

No I don't think you are either.

My granddaddy used to raise a crow from a baby. He always had one. He would split their tongue and teach them to talk. He would also feed them cornbread and milk from a spoon. This was over 60 years ago when I lived with them on a farm.

But the crows we have around our house are huge and they have become aggravating.

#11 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

But the crows we have around our house are huge and they have become aggravating.

Now she's close enough to be testifying about the same larger family of crows as me. I neglected to comment on the size of these fat bastards. These things are as long or longer than your average small dog. Standing I'd say they can get close to a foot tall. The numbers went from annoying to the trees almost seeming to be full.
The smaller birds have been fighting me to build nests under my porch roofs and other covered areas for about 3 or 4 years. Mainly, it seems, looking for some protection due to the aggression of these things. Homey don't play with a porch covered in bird droppings.

#12 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

Now she's close enough to be testifying about the same larger family of crows as me. I neglected to comment on the size of these fat bastards. These things are as long or longer than your average small dog. Standing I'd say they can get close to a foot tall. The numbers went from annoying to the trees almost seeming to be full.
The smaller birds have been fighting me to build nests under my porch roofs and other covered areas for about 3 or 4 years. Mainly, it seems, looking for some protection due to the aggression of these things. Homey don't play with a porch covered in bird droppings.

Won't do them any good.   Our robin's nest is (was) on the downspout at the end of the porch, she was there on Sat, yesterday morning I noticed she was gone and an egg sitting on the downspout.  Saw the crows in the yard and chased them off.  An hour later, the egg is gone. Mama hasn't been back.  

They get near my tomatoes and I can get the gun or crossbow on them, then they will be be gone. 

• lowrider likes this

#13 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

We have a lot around here too.

If I don't egg hunt early, the crows will get them.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#14 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

I seem to remember that purple martins are crows worst enemy when in flight.  The Martins, capable of adjusting their flight to pick off multiple mosquitoes in flight, attack the larger birds in a convincing manner much like a big brother pokes his little brother incessantly with his finger to reduce the tyke to the ground in a ball of giggles ... except the martin's beak is sharper as is the pain. 

This discussion peaked my interest. Here is a documentary entitled "murder of crows" ...

pubby

#15 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

If they're really big, what you may have are ravens.

If you want to know what kind of intelligence with which you're dealing, check out this video on how a juvenile raven stole the dog food.

pubby

#16 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

Be Ye Crow or Raven, 

sitting in my tree.

Cawing and swooping,

it matters not to me.

Hark ye now and listen,

as I say unto the,

Never More.

• The Sound Guy, mrshoward, Blondiega1 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics