3 replies to this topic

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,670 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

Paulding BOC explores the sometimes strange past in marathon work session that promises to exacerbate the divisions

This was just posted on Youtube and I've not had an opportunity to view it as of yet.  I will say the chatter in the hall after the meeting suggested that personal lawsuits may insue from the statements of commissioners. 

The justification of the county thwarting the transfer of the 168 acres purchased from the city of Atlanta for the airport is also a point of contention that in one breath is a no-brainer, in another may  ...

Well, let me quote pcom member Glassdogs, who commented on the experience of sitting through this meeting - "It was embarrassing to sit there."  You can read the rest of his comments here or view this meeting and leave your's in this topic.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

#2 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,670 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

It is a long video - almost three and a half hours - and I've not gotten through it yet. 

Here is a bit of the low-lights (can't call them highlights).

At about the 36-minute mark, Post 2 commissioner Todd Pownall interrupts the proceedings to call for an executive session to discuss litigation.  This is immediately before Terry Tibbits is scheduled to speak and Todd obviously doesn't want him to speak.  The chairman suggests that he sets the agenda and figuring it is Tibbits appearances - Tibbits is the interim airport director - that has Pownall spooked, pushes back on Pownall ... but Pownall is insistent and considering that he has three votes and no one backs the chairman on the board; Pownall again asserts his power over the elected chairman and the commission goes into executive session with a 4-1 vote.

When they return to open session, it becomes obvious the reason for the executive session (this is roughly at the 40-minute point) as Tibbits goes through the 'case' the airport has backing its 'ownership' of the property that the City of Atlanta transferred to the County with a quit-claim deed in 2007.   Coupled with the intergovernmental agreement, and a couple of other documents, the point of the presentation was that the transfer to the Airport authority in a closing at Talley, Richardson and Cable on December 30, 2016 was for all intents and purposes legal. 

Needless to say the four anti-airport commissioners elected since the project was announced in October 2013 have amassed a string of public objections including letters they've sent to the FAA in the interim that opponents argue are enough to block the transfer.

Those who look at the situation from a legalistic point of view tend to walk away with the conclusion that a contract is a contract and while there may be litigation surrounding the issue to confuse it, all together they don't amount to a hill of beans. 

This element of the dispute lasts until about 1:26 on the video.

#3 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

4-1 does not appear to be a divided commission. It should read "Lone hold out keeps Airport a volatile issue". We all know this site is all about fair and balanced reporting. Your welcome for the advice.
  • watcher likes this

#4 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

I voted for Mr. Carmichael to oppose the four folks who, to me,  seem to represent the citizens of Atlanta more than they do the citizens of Paulding.

pubby

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BOC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics