57 replies to this topic

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Unity strained as commission fires county's long-term law firm in special called meet

Talley, Richardson and Cable law firm was fired by a 4-1 vote in a special called meeting Wednesday and the county then hired as the interim county attorney, Lani Skipper whom the county requested separate from the law firm.

It is unclear how long Ms. Skipper will be in the interim position but Commission Chairman Dave Carmichael said it was important that the county have someone up to speed in the post as the level of activity was high.

The motion separating the firm from the county - the firm has been representing the county close to 30 years if not longer - called for them to deliver the legal documents in the possession of the firm to the county no later than today (March 10.)

Chairman Carmichael, who voted against the resolution firing the firm, opened the meeting with a statement saying he was unaware of the purpose of the called meeting. Citing state law regarding the commission, Carmichael stated that the meeting was called by request of the four post commissioners who raised their hands in the affirmative to acknowledge it was their desire.

The meeting went into an extended closed session for the purpose of 'litigation and personnel matters' and emerged with the two resolutions; one to fire the firm and the second to request that Ms. Skipper resign from the firm and serve as interim legal counsel for the county.

The firm, as a leading institution in the county, has separate contracts with the Industrial Building Authority, School Board, Airport Authority and possibly other boards or commissions associated with local county government.  It does not appear that the firing will include these entities which have independent contractural agreements.

In any case, the public discussion of the firing, which post commissioner Todd Pownall said was not the surprise Chairman Carmichael asserted, did not include discussion of how much of the county's overall business was included.

The four post commissioners, influenced by the anti-airport forces, have long had removal of the law firm in its sights.   

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

#2 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

YES!!!! I love it.  

I think Lani Skipper should have been fired too though. 

• mach4, FreeBird, NewsJunky and 1 other like this
I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely.
(Rhett Butler speaking to Miss Scarlett)

#3 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

"and the second to request that Ms. Skipper resign from the firm and serve as interim legal counsel for the county."

Resign from a firm to accept an interim position? Nope. There's about to be a new law firm in the county. I expect they have a client already lined up.

• Captain Rhett Butler likes this
Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#4 grumps

grumps

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

channel 5 said the reason for firing them is that they signed off on David Austins,s last little deal while in office.  He tried to deed over a 100+ acres of the county to the airport authority.

#5 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

The four post commissioners, influenced by the anti-airport forces, have long had removal of the law firm in its sights.

First there are no "anti-airport" forces.  General Aviation is fine, it's no "commercial passenger service".  Get it right, please. 

Second, Carmichael was well aware of the land transfer shenanigans, but he chose not to let the other commissioners know. So much for "Unity", huh?  He knew exactly why that meeting was called and sat there and lied about it.

"The law firm" is deeply entrenched in every arm of government in this county.  They have some of the best of the best.  Most of our superior court judges have come from that firm.  They are, for the most part, strong, upstanding, community oriented, citizens of Paulding County. However, there are some rogue partners that somehow think taking the voice of the people away is a good thing.

This is an ugly stain on a wonderful community, one of many fueled by unelected people and boards that seem to think citizens are a problem. 

• lowrider and secondhandsmith like this

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#6 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

First there are no "anti-airport" forces.  General Aviation is fine, it's no "commercial passenger service".  Get it right, please. 

Okay, I get it, you're all for airplanes and wealthy corporate jets, it is just people - commercial airline passengers - you hate.

Second, Carmichael was well aware of the land transfer shenanigans, but he chose not to let the other commissioners know. So much for "Unity", huh?  He knew exactly why that meeting was called and sat there and lied about it.

"The law firm" is deeply entrenched in every arm of government in this county.  They have some of the best of the best.  Most of our superior court judges have come from that firm.  They are, for the most part, strong, upstanding, community oriented, citizens of Paulding County. However, there are some rogue partners that somehow think taking the voice of the people away is a good thing.

This is an ugly stain on a wonderful community, one of many fueled by unelected people and boards that seem to think citizens are a problem. 

So the county was transferring land at the airport to the airport authority which kind of makes sense ... unless you're the county and you don't want the airport authority to have an asset it can use to do something that you might not like; you know, like exist.

I don't know the whole story but since they were so quiet about it in the meeting - the discussion of public business was not apparent if this is the rub - I just find that I don't trust Todd and his minions ... and that goes back a long way.  I guess I need to find out.

pubby

#7 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

I am still trying to sort all of this out. This land was the land voted on for transfer by the BOC through IGA just before new members were seated a couple of years ago.  I thought there was an order not to do anything with the land officially until the court ruled on the lawsuits or was it the FAA. What am I missing?

• mach4 likes this

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.........

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."~~ Edward R. Murrow   

#8 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

So much for the unity.  I new it would not last.  New all the time Carmichael was an Austin fan.

Austin is probably telling every move he makes.

Edited by Greatma, 11 March 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

I trust Todd to do the right thing. At one time, I trusted David to do the right thing, but got burnt badly.

I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely.

#10 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

We also need to lobby the school board to fire them as well.  

#11 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

http://www.fox5atlan...240833082-story

#12 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

As I understand it, the law firm had recused themselves from this 'deal' and that another Atlanta attorney that was independent of both the county commission and airport authority - possibly representing the FAA which has some interest in the property at the airport having funded the majority of the construction, was the authority who was operating under the purview of the court.

In other words, the Talley, Richardson and Cable only involvement in the transaction cited in their firing was they provided a conference room for the closing ... the principals didn't even attend the meeting.

The story, I understand, will be told at the commission meeting tomorrow morning during the work session and the charges the law firm were involved in this transaction are simply a convenient lie used by the gang of four to justify the firing.

Personally, if  I were considering replacing the law firm or write a new legal services paradigm for the county, among the last things I would do is manufacture a 'scandal' forcing what amounts to an upheaval in the administration of the county. 

The point is there is no plan on how to get competent legal services for the county.

It is really is sad.

pubby

#13 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

They needed to change firms. Period!

• Captain Rhett Butler likes this

#14 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Why did they also relieve the County Clerk (Pat Tibbitts)  of her duties?  I'd like to know what part she played in all this. 

#15 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

As I understand it, the law firm had recused themselves from this 'deal' and that another Atlanta attorney that was independent of both the county commission and airport authority - possibly representing the FAA which has some interest in the property at the airport having funded the majority of the construction, was the authority who was operating under the purview of the court.

In other words, the Talley, Richardson and Cable only involvement in the transaction cited in their firing was they provided a conference room for the closing ... the principals didn't even attend the meeting.

The story, I understand, will be told at the commission meeting tomorrow morning during the work session and the charges the law firm were involved in this transaction are simply a convenient lie used by the gang of four to justify the firing.

Personally, if  I were considering replacing the law firm or write a new legal services paradigm for the county, among the last things I would do is manufacture a 'scandal' forcing what amounts to an upheaval in the administration of the county. 

The point is there is no plan on how to get competent legal services for the county.

It is really is sad.

pubby

Just like in the last 3-1/2 years, this meeting will make for some interesting viewing then reading.
Retired. I only work 12 noon to 1pm.
Most days I take an hour lunch break.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#16 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,520 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Why did they also relieve the County Clerk (Pat Tibbitts)  of her duties?  I'd like to know what part she played in all this. 

I would venture to say:

Pat Tibbitts was not the county clerk.  She was David Austin's administrative assistant. 

I would guess that Carmichael could hire her back, but then I would also guess Pubby's Gang of Four could fire her.

Austin lied thru his teeth to us over and over and over again, and stood by and watched his Robber Baron Mega Developers buds get away with stomping us into the ground, knowing what they were doing was wrong.  Stealing is stealing. Cut and dried.  They stole 12-1/2 feet by 208 feet of our property and gave it to the developer and told us too bad when we complained.  The developer needed it to have enough land to get double rows of lots.

And then went broke before he could finish Palisades and never built anything to the North or West of us as a result.  Austin could have done what was right but chose to do what his developer buds asked instead.

So I certainly will not feel any pity for the door slamming him in the ass on his way out.

When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#17 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,520 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

It is really is sad.

pubby

The county can obtain competent legal services the same way most governmental agencies and entities do......they hire a lead attorney, and assistant, and a couple of para-legals and secretaries.

And save half a million dollars a year in the process while getting Just and Fair representation from the county legal office.  Something we have NEVER gotten from the crooks at THE FIRM.  They have all been paid well over the years by the Robber Barons, and they may just end up in the Food Stamp line to eat as well in the future.

THE FIRM has eaten high on the HOG for close to 30 years.  Without deserving such an honored seat at the table.  Members of the firm who sat on various boards and elected office have left, and or will be leaving in disgrace. 

I would guess we will see THE FIRM gone from the Airport Authority, The School Board, and every other governmental sanctioned position they held, and it is about time to clean the mess up.  The Robber Barons will loose their standing, and maybe, just maybe things will improve,

It is just sad that it has taken so long to start setting things straight.

And for me, I say KUDOS to the Gang of Four for having the nads to do what's right. Three cheers for the Gang of 4.

Anyone betting seriously on commercial flights at the airport I am afraid will come up short.

• Mrs G likes this
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#18 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,218 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

who actually fired  the Law Firm?  

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#19 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

who actually fired  the Law Firm?

From what I've read, it was a 4 to 1 vote of the county commissioners that got them fired. I wonder how many cases they had in house, other than of course the airport mess.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#20 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

+The board of commissioners by a vote of 4-1 - The Chairman being the one - actually fired the law firm.  The commission then hired the lawyers who was the representative of the law firm (Lani Skipper) to be the interim county attorney. 

It is not determined at this point if Ms. Skipper will become an employee of the county, which would entail having to hire a staff for the 'legal department'  or whether she will instead counsel the county to develop a contract between her (presumably soon to appear) law firm/partnership/LLC and the county.

The above approach, which does not seem to be long on transparency - from the original video (above) you get the impression this was a forced crisis that the four post commissioners, over the objection of the chairman, just pulled the trigger on the firing.  One suggestion I heard was that the change to Ms. Skipper may have been in the works behind the scenes going on since before the voters selected David Carmichael as Chairman. 

The proper way to handle a change of this magnitude is to first vote to cancel the legal services contract at some time in the future; develop a request for proposal for legal services (once you've made the determination to replace the law firm with another.) If the choice instead involves bringing the business in-house you would go through the selection process that would include defining the job, the staff for that job, and a recruitment strategy.)

Of course there is none of this because the current powers that be in the courthouse - the gang of four - are shooting from the hip; totally.

We saw this again today.  We should have a story on it with video later tomorrow.

pubby

#21 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

It is really is sad.

pubby

I guess you found out today that Tom Cable was indeed present at the signing of the land transfer.  They didn't just use their office conference room. 

Yes I did a screen shot of your original post. 

More Fake News. 

Edited by tundra, 14 March 2017 - 08:34 PM.

• tbird and Mrs G like this

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#22 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

I had a doctors appointment and missed the meeting.

I hope to review the video of the meeting tomorrow morning. I'll give my own eyes an opportunity to see who is shooting the straightest.  Obviously, I was passing along what I was told by someone with greater credibility.

Judging from what I saw in the afternoon meeting - I mean tundra - was Todd not calling the Chairman a liar from the first time he insisted that he second the motion? I mean I was embarrassed just sitting there.  If I were Carmichael I'd have told Todd that he gets one or the other.  If you insist that I second the motion, then you can bet that I'll vote against it.  Now I've told you once that I was going to vote for the measure to hand the IBA over to you guys and if you insult me again, I'll do just what I said; second it and vote against it.

What a silly, stupid, petty move on the guys part to try and  force the chair to second something that he is at best reluctantly approving as he tries to get along with Toad.  I was embarrassed to sit there and dick around with that stuff for over a half-hour and was actually thankful to Tony  to second the motion.

And that was just in the afternoon session.   I only heard a little bit about the marathon morning session.

pubby

#23 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

I only heard a little bit about the marathon morning session.

pubby

It was embarrassing to sit there.  

Davis, Pownall, and Collett make the 3 stooges look like Rhodes scholars.

Terry Tibbits (from PCAA) made Pownall look totally stupid.  (I realize that isn't much of an accomplishment. 8) )  There is a signed, legal document that says the BOC WILL transfer by deed to the PCAA some 168 acres of property purchased from Atlanta/HJIA.   Now, the dumbass Post Commissioners are saying that the land can't be transferred because somebody (Shearin?) "promised" Mayor Campbell/Franklin that "the land will not be used to build an airport on".   Nothing in writing, no documentation,  just more bullcheese from 3 morons that make Nancy Pelosi and Chuckie Schumer appear normal.

The IGA of 2007-8? says that the land will be transferred by deed to the PCAA.  There are no restrictions on who the attorneys were to be or what law firm's offices were to be used.  Only that it has to be done.  Not sure what part of that signed, binding contract the Chicken World 4 think they are exempt from?  

They need to grow the hell up and stop banging their spoons on their highchairs.  

• The Sound Guy and Beach Bum like this

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

I guess you haven't been to Detroit recently?  Or, Newark or East St.Louis or Gary, IN, or Stockton, CA?

You know, those bastions of liberal Democrat government that have been so successful in attracting wealthy, educated leaders and businesspeople.  Progressive people,  who have uplifted the poorer of their brethren, so their city can be that bright example of how well Socialism works.

#24 Newbie in New Hope

Newbie in New Hope

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

I'm trying to imagine why any reputable business would ever enter into a contract with Paulding County?  Let's say I want to build a bridge.  I sign the contract with the county, buy the material, hire the labor and rent the equipment.  After that, a group decides that the bridge I've been hired to build might lean towards the progress side of thing, then gets a group of anti-bridge commissioners elected to fight the contract that the board before signed.  There is no way in the world I would put any stock into doing business with this county.

• PUBBY, The Sound Guy, mojo413 and 1 other like this
"THOSE WHO EXPECT TO REAP THE BLESSINGS OF FREEDOM MUST, LIKE MEN, UNDERGO THE FATIGUE OF SUPPORTING IT."
THOMAS PAINE

#25 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I'm trying to imagine why any reputable business would ever enter into a contract with Paulding County?  Let's say I want to build a bridge.  I sign the contract with the county, buy the material, hire the labor and rent the equipment.  After that, a group decides that the bridge I've been hired to build might lean towards the progress side of thing, then gets a group of anti-bridge commissioners elected to fight the contract that the board before signed.  There is no way in the world I would put any stock into doing business with this county.

I was part of the Anti-139 movement till I finally realized the true damage the No-139 movement is actually costing our community. While I still don't like how 139 was birthed, I now have moved to a position of "enough is enough". I would like to see all the different issues resolved in court and us move forward as a community. That is probably a fantasy on my part, because as soon as a decision is handed down, here comes another appeal.

I now feel we are fools to think we have any opportunities for economic development till the 139 issue is resolved.

Edited by mojo413, 15 March 2017 - 07:11 PM.

• The Sound Guy, Lady Raider, lowrider and 4 others like this
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#26 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

I was part of the Anti-139 movement till I finally realized the true damage the No-139 movement is actually costing our community. While I still don't like how 139 was birthed, I now have moved to a position of "enough is enough". I would like to see all the different issues resolved in court and us move forward as a community. That is probably a fantasy on my part, because as soon as a decision is handed down, here comes another appeal.
I now feel we are fools to think we have any opportunities for economic development till the 139 issue is resolved.

1000 likes!
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#27 Newbie in New Hope

Newbie in New Hope

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Meanwhile, Cobb, Douglas and Bartow Counties keep adding jobs while exporting their poverty to Paulding. If this ship isn't turned soon, we'll simply be Atlanta's section 8 trailer park.
  • lowrider, Glassdogs, LPPT and 1 other like this
"THOSE WHO EXPECT TO REAP THE BLESSINGS OF FREEDOM MUST, LIKE MEN, UNDERGO THE FATIGUE OF SUPPORTING IT."
THOMAS PAINE

#28 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Meanwhile, Cobb, Douglas and Bartow Counties keep adding jobs while exporting their poverty to Paulding. If this ship isn't turned soon, we'll simply be Atlanta's section 8 trailer park.

But, by golly, we'll have an airport.  

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

I guess you haven't been to Detroit recently?  Or, Newark or East St.Louis or Gary, IN, or Stockton, CA?

You know, those bastions of liberal Democrat government that have been so successful in attracting wealthy, educated leaders and businesspeople.  Progressive people,  who have uplifted the poorer of their brethren, so their city can be that bright example of how well Socialism works.

#29 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

With a toll gate on the runway where the airport property ends and the county  property begins ... cause Todd said so.

pubby

#30 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

With a toll gate on the runway where the airport property ends and the county  property begins ... cause Todd said so.

pubby

maybe they could put a Peach Pass on the aircraft?  

#31 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

With no commercial air traffic to help pay the bills.

#32 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

The difference between these counties is access to the Interstates. A hundred airports will not correct that issue. Like it or not air travel/cargo is faster and more "glamorous" but the vast majority of commerce travels on tires.

#33 Newbie in New Hope

Newbie in New Hope

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

Stonewall, I don't disagree nor am I "all in" on this stupid airport. I do know that this has served as a single issue distraction for years now. While we are standing still and commissioners are playing theater to their worshippers, surrounding counties are experiencing smart growth. We get to celebrate a new Wendy's or Dairy Queen.
  • lowrider, LPPT and jenilyn like this
THOMAS PAINE

#34 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Stonewall, I don't disagree nor am I "all in" on this stupid airport. I do know that this has served as a single issue distraction for years now. While we are standing still and commissioners are playing theater to their worshippers, surrounding counties are experiencing smart growth. We get to celebrate a new Wendy's or Dairy Queen.

I agree there has never really been a viable growth plan for the county.

#35 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

There is a viable growth plan for the county. It has been in place for more than 20 years.

It is home construction and real estate. There have been millions upon millions made on it, mostly by locals for over 20 years.

They may have been hurt by the recession, but not destroyed. The companies are back, many under different names.

It has been business as usual. Parks, schools, fast food, you name it, it has been building. You will still be hard pressed to find any shakers, movers or politicians that won't find profit in that industry here.

Commercial airport means noise and congestion that kills many areas for housing development.

If you look at this county through the lens of what promotes or harms housing it all makes sense.

Industrial development was a pipe dream to make us feel like someone cared about high taxes on us.

I saw through it a long time ago. Even the reservoir was always about more housing.

Whenever you ask why about anything in this county you will find the answer in housing development.

The way you make that airport successful is to make it a boutique airport. You develop 5-10 acre estates around it and market it as a weekend fliers paradise. I would not be surprised if someone was already waiting for the legal issues to be resolved.

All this brings in higher taxes, but if you are defining your market this way it can be done. Those that are looking for this aren't especially bothered by high taxes.

The booming housing market is a guarantee of higher taxes in the future. The largest problem we will face in the future is affordable housing for those working in the service industry. We know that it will explode with growth.

The bigger question, is this commission ready to address the future issues of the path we are taking.

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#36 october

october

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

:bad:

#37 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

There is a viable growth plan for the county. It has been in place for more than 20 years.

It is home construction and real estate. There have been millions upon millions made on it, mostly by locals for over 20 years.

They may have been hurt by the recession, but not destroyed. The companies are back, many under different names.

It has been business as usual. Parks, schools, fast food, you name it, it has been building. You will still be hard pressed to find any shakers, movers or politicians that won't find profit in that industry here.

Commercial airport means noise and congestion that kills many areas for housing development.

If you look at this county through the lens of what promotes or harms housing it all makes sense.

Industrial development was a pipe dream to make us feel like someone cared about high taxes on us.

I saw through it a long time ago. Even the reservoir was always about more housing.

Whenever you ask why about anything in this county you will find the answer in housing development.

The way you make that airport successful is to make it a boutique airport. You develop 5-10 acre estates around it and market it as a weekend fliers paradise. I would not be surprised if someone was already waiting for the legal issues to be resolved.

All this brings in higher taxes, but if you are defining your market this way it can be done. Those that are looking for this aren't especially bothered by high taxes.

The booming housing market is a guarantee of higher taxes in the future. The largest problem we will face in the future is affordable housing for those working in the service industry. We know that it will explode with growth.

The bigger question, is this commission ready to address the future issues of the path we are taking.

I thought this was a serious topic and here you go joking :)

The plain fact is that the four folks on the commission who seem to vote in unison behind the leadership of Todd seem to lack, what most folks call common sense.

To wit:  They are complaining because the former chairman did the housekeeping act of transferring the property that the airport was built upon to the folks who own the majority of the property that the rest of the airport is built upon so the Federal Government can't come back and sue us for reneging on the deal we made with them to build the airport in the first place.

I mean, what do the four commissioners think the county can do with the property besides use it as part of an airport?  Are they going to put a landfill on it?  Or dig a hole and put in another reservoir?   Or maybe they want to rent it to some folks to chant Hare Krishna as an outdoor meditation area.

The point is that these folks KNOW that the property belongs to the airport authority and the only thing ... and it came out of Vernon Colletts' mouth - that what they are worried about most is some unwritten, informal promise that a former commissioner made to a former Atlanta mayor ten years ago to not compete with Hartsfield-Jackson and they will stay true to that promise, of which they are not a party, and reject the written, public, contract voted on by the commission (the Intergovernmental agreement) that was the word of five or more commissioners over the past decade.

Some how I think that the Paulding Commissions that took the city of Atlanta to task for not paying taxes on the 10,000 acres that the city owned Hartsfield-Jackson airport owns in the county are infinitely more loyal to the taxpayers of Paulding than these four who appeared to have sold out all previous commissioners in favor of the city of Atlanta.

pubby

#38 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

I thought this was a serious topic and here you go joking :)

The plain fact is that the four folks on the commission who seem to vote in unison behind the leadership of Todd seem to lack, what most folks call common sense.

To wit:  They are complaining because the former chairman did the housekeeping act of transferring the property that the airport was built upon to the folks who own the majority of the property that the rest of the airport is built upon so the Federal Government can't come back and sue us for reneging on the deal we made with them to build the airport in the first place.

I mean, what do the four commissioners think the county can do with the property besides use it as part of an airport?  Are they going to put a landfill on it?  Or dig a hole and put in another reservoir?   Or maybe they want to rent it to some folks to chant Hare Krishna as an outdoor meditation area.

The point is that these folks KNOW that the property belongs to the airport authority and the only thing ... and it came out of Vernon Colletts' mouth - that what they are worried about most is some unwritten, informal promise that a former commissioner made to a former Atlanta mayor ten years ago to not compete with Hartsfield-Jackson and they will stay true to that promise, of which they are not a party, and reject the written, public, contract voted on by the commission (the Intergovernmental agreement) that was the word of five or more commissioners over the past decade.

Some how I think that the Paulding Commissions that took the city of Atlanta to task for not paying taxes on the 10,000 acres that the city owned Hartsfield-Jackson airport owns in the county are infinitely more loyal to the taxpayers of Paulding than these four who appeared to have sold out all previous commissioners in favor of the city of Atlanta.

pubby

Yes.  Exactly.  

Now,  if only you would come to your senses about other things political.   8)

#39 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,652 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Yes.  Exactly.  

Now,  if only you would come to your senses about other things political.   8)

You mean I should start calling you 'comrade' and change my opinion of Putin from a crooked kleptocrat to savior of the western world because of his staunch support for white people against the Muslim throngs?

I might suggest that if only you came to your senses, dogs :)

pubby

#40 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

I've come to the realization the issue is not the AIRPORT. The real issue is POWER. Power to control the county budget, power over every board, power over how every dollar of taxpayer money is spent. And the enemy is not the 5 Commissioners or those at the state level or federal levels. The enemy is those who are whispering in the elected offical's ears when no one is looking. I do not think any of our elected offical's are intentionally evil. But I think they would do much better if they were to build walls around themselves and block out those who are evil and whispering in their ears.
  • The Sound Guy likes this
John Hyden
770-366-1552

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics