4 replies to this topic

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,170 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Here are the raw story headlines for today.

Kinda funky, wouldn't you say.

‘That is your job!’: McCaskill hammers Treasury pick Mnuchin for being clueless about Trump’s foreign ties

Ellen DeGeneres’ moving tribute to the Obamas may leave you in tears

Trump supporters ‘spit on’ migrant children visiting DC for inauguration: Dem. lawmaker

Olbermann: Dems are right to skip inauguration of 'racist, seemingly psychotic Russian plant' Trump

Internet rips Trump ‘headliner’ Jon Voight: ‘Sh*t, I thought he was dead’

Donald Trump wants to eliminate The National Endowment for the Arts

Chicago bar hosting ’Trump-Free Friday' will donate drink sales to Planned Parenthood

Lawsuit alleges blacks were barred from Graceland because of race

California teacher who said equality meant hanging all black people investigated for Confederate flag

Robert Reich on Trump’s swearing in: ‘A sickening event… and a tragedy for America and the world’

Trump advisers: President dancing with Caitlyn Jenner at inauguration would ‘heal’ the LGBTQ community

Trump spokesman points to Ben Carson when asked about lack of Hispanics in cabinet

Sean Spicer turns first press conference into ad for Trump hotel: ‘I encourage you to go there’

'And now the end is near': Nancy Sinatra trolls Trump with opening lines of 'My Way'

The ‘great, big, beautiful’ list of everything Trump promised he’d do on ‘day one’ — whenever that is

‘The Boss’ plays a private show for Obama after Springsteen cover band backs out of Trump inauguration gig

Noam Chomsky: Obama’s presidency was no ‘failure’ — despite ‘racist reaction to him’

The first step in resisting President-elect Trump

GOP senator tells Democrat to ‘take a Valium’ during testy Treasury confirmation hearing

Trump’s Homeland Security will likely expand biometric surveillance and facial recognition technologies

Why Kanye West wasn't asked to play Donald Trump's inauguration

Lewis Black brutally mocks Trump’s inauguration: Famous musicians died in 2016 to avoid performing

Disgraced Iowa Republican’s family hurls obscenities after he’s sentenced to prison for corruption

Elijah Cummings: ‘If the public knew what Congress knows’ they would boycott the inauguration too

Decoding Trump’s bizarre inaugural speechwriting photo

At least one Democratic congressman is already preparing to impeach Donald Trump

Samantha Bee hammers Trump’s ‘omnipresent spokes-cobra’ Kellyanne Conway

Van Jones: Obama fixed what Bush broke — now Trump wants to break what Obama fixed

CNN’s Chris Cuomo hammers Rick Santorum on DNC hacks: 'I don’t get why you’re sheltering Russia'

Bill Maher issues warning to anyone who interviews Trump: ‘Don’t let him use you’

BUSTED: GOP legislative aide fired for running fake news site that hyped bogus ‘voter fraud’ stories

Rick Perry ‘regrets’ calling for elimination of the Energy Department now that he knows what it does

‘Those Women are Liars’: Stephen Colbert suggests alternate campaign slogans for Trump 2020

#2 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Fitting fan mail for Donald Trump.

nixonlettertotrump-1024x574.jpg

http://www.theblaze....litical-office/

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#3 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

New bug named after Donald Trump.

https://www.yahoo.co...-193301223.html

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#4 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

Here are the raw story headlines for today.

Kinda funky, wouldn't you say.

I know you don't do facebook.  These are very common. A few of these sites disappeared right after the election. Many people believe them. You don't even have to be on FB the links are shared through email too. Some of us understand how easy it is to publish a website or blog, we know that there is no vetting or oversight for factual publishing. There are millions that don't. How many times have we seen outrage over an Onion article? I am on the fence about forcing FB to vet some of these things. On the other hand I just watched the 1% take over the world and I am pretty sure FB and Fox news along with right wing pundits are to blame.

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#5 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,170 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

I know you don't do facebook.  These are very common. A few of these sites disappeared right after the election. Many people believe them. You don't even have to be on FB the links are shared through email too. Some of us understand how easy it is to publish a website or blog, we know that there is no vetting or oversight for factual publishing. There are millions that don't. How many times have we seen outrage over an Onion article? I am on the fence about forcing FB to vet some of these things. On the other hand I just watched the 1% take over the world and I am pretty sure FB and Fox news along with right wing pundits are to blame.

Actually, while Rawstory does have a definite lean leftward, the factual content is generally well sourced.  For instance, the bit on Kanye West not being asked to play came from newsweek and the bit on Lewis Black suggesting that musicians died to avoid playing at Trump's inauguration simply highlighted a comedy bit on the Daily Show.  I've seen some bits from alternet but as often as not they're just highlighting exchanges on cable news between pundits.

They may include an onion  piece - usually designed to show the gullibility of some ignorant individual like Kim Jung Il of N. Korea who was punked by the piece (recognized it officially) - but sources include things like:

Intercepted communications suggest three Trump advisors directly linked to Russia: report

was sourced to a NYtimes.com article.

The purpose of presenting the headlines was two fold.  First, they were indicative of the general feeling of a significant portion of the population in regard this administration.  Second, I had taken a bit of a break and wanted a location that I could use to pick and choose the articles to read.

Let me say this, though.

I think that the consternation being shown by these articles and headlines, despite their negative tone, are milder than the one's we would be reading if Trump had lost.  I would imagine the wackos from the paramilitary right protesting over the 'rigged' election.  More and more unfounded allegations of child sex rights, satanic worship, Muslim connections ... you know after all, one of the rips was that Hillary and Barack were founders of ISIS. 

In comparison, these articles have both feet in reality whereas the articles that came from the right were outrageously fake in the runup to the election and, given the level of concern for truth by the right, we might expect them to be even more outrageous.

I think Charles Blow's NYTimes editorial which detailed the radical change in US foreign policy and the risks that entails, is at the root of the concerns.

In short that column said we built an international system of trade and the policies, which includes punitive acts toward the Chinese and to Europe and an corresponding embrace of Russia and oil, coupled with Trump's inaugural address which basically reverted to the old sphere of influence politics that considered colonialism and empire the goal.  That style of world order notably led two numerous wars including two world wars.

To me this is not just a bad idea, but an immensely bad idea.

pubby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics