10 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Yahoo would soon be known as Altaba. That is if Verizon buys the company.

http://n.pr/2jftYiu

I feel bad for Marissa Mayer, the current Yahoo boss. Maybe Google will rehire her?

If any of you have Yahoo accounts, you might want to back up, forward your email messages or whatever before Verizon does something about it.

#2 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

They used to be a good brand but they got stuck in 1999 and never came out. That was my first email address as a college student.

• Brian likes this

#3 cptlo306

cptlo306

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I deleted my Yahoo account a few weeks ago.  I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

This post is sarcasm.  Unless it's not.

#4 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

I think att uses yahoo. This should be a great nightmare.
  • The Sound Guy and September like this
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#5 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

I think att uses yahoo. This should be a great nightmare.

Yep.  It's still a Bellsouth.net address but the server is Yahoo.  They make no money off of us as my wife uses a POP client to pull the emails, so no ad revenue.   I have no idea why they thought taking over AT&T's email was a good idea.  If it made money, AT&T would have kept it.  :80

I had Yahoo Search as my home page for years, but got tired of waiting for it load as they put more an more crap on their search page and cluttered it up.  Google had a fast loading (even over a modem) clean looking search page and was smart and put the ads on the RESULTS page where you were actually looking. I changed my home page to Google and never went back.

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#6 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,060 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

I've had my yahoo email address since 1998. I don't want to change.

I have a Google, a COMCAST, a Hot Mail and something else but I don't use them.

I like yahoo!

#7 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

We've had our AOL accounts since Feb 1998. We have gotten used to it and we don't like change. Shoot, we've had Dish Network for 15 yrs. We've had soooo much problems with the AT &T modem/router and they changed it out like 3 times and we were still having issues. So, I called them up again and told them that I was tired of paying a bill for Internet and wasn't getting the service, that we're paying for. The customer service rep said he could get us a cheaper phone rate AND cheaper Internet for about $65 a month, as opposed to the $125 that we were paying!! Needless to say that this man did NOT tell me that our phone was going to be disconnected from AT & T and it would be VOIP phone. Boy, was I pissed for real!!!! Anyway, they finally got it straight. No issues since!! But, I loathe AT & T as a whole. The Internet is NOT faster at least our phone bill was cut in half!!!
  • Dana, OSU and october like this
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#8 Domestic Violence by Proxy

Domestic Violence by Proxy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Yep.  It's still a Bellsouth.net address but the server is Yahoo.  They make no money off of us as my wife uses a POP client to pull the emails, so no ad revenue.   I have no idea why they thought taking over AT&T's email was a good idea.  If it made money, AT&T would have kept it.  :80

I had Yahoo Search as my home page for years, but got tired of waiting for it load as they put more an more crap on their search page and cluttered it up.  Google had a fast loading (even over a modem) clean looking search page and was smart and put the ads on the RESULTS page where you were actually looking. I changed my home page to Google and never went back.

Isn't yahoo a subsidiary of sbc communications? If I recall correctly, they bought AT&T and kept the AT&T brand over their own.

Violates%20Constitution_zps0ivtnyqn.png

#9 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

SBC/AT&T did not own Yahoo. They are not the only company using Yahoo's services.

Verizon is one of them, see their site: Verizon Yahoo

Frontier Communications (now owned by Verizon): Frontier Yahoo

British Telecom (BT): BT Yahoo

Rogers Communications: Rogers powered by Yahoo

#10 Domestic Violence by Proxy

Domestic Violence by Proxy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:40 AM

SBC/AT&T did not own Yahoo. They are not the only company using Yahoo's services.

Verizon is one of them, see their site: Verizon Yahoo

Frontier Communications (now owned by Verizon): Frontier Yahoo

British Telecom (BT): BT Yahoo

Rogers Communications: Rogers powered by Yahoo

I stand corrected. Thanks. :)

Violates%20Constitution_zps0ivtnyqn.png

#11 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

If Google's "Business Model" is the same as other major companies', they won't rehire Marissa Mayer. Why sink more money  benefits/bonuses, etc. into someone who's left your employ once already?

Of course Google isn't really known for the "normal" way of doing business, are they?

"We domesticated them, which makes us responsible.".... Me, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics