Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
gregaperry

New Thrift Store?

I'm probably a little behind everyone, as I just noticed that the Phoenix Bar is now a thrift store. I was just thinking the other day that, what Paulding needs is another junk store.

I think our county motto should read something like, "Paulding County, Georgia's Yard Sale". Would look good on our signs entering the county.

Rant over. I'll wait now for the first "maybe you should just move" comment.

Edited by Newbie in New Hope
  • Like 2

I agree...we don't need more thrift stores....along with that we need fewer "buy here - pay here" junky used car lots, check cashing stores, pawn shops and Title Pawns, tattoo parlors, etc. Merchants Drive is starting lo look like Hollowell Parkway. Vacant Buildings, folks walking back and forth to the liquor stores 7 days a week, homeless folks wandering around holding signs up needing food (aka... money for booze and cigarettes). Businesses that won't keep the grass cut and buildings painted who store all manner of junk and trash on the lot. For goodness sakes, don't complain to the Marshal office either. They're pathetic.,

We need to attract "good" businesses, manufacturing and so forth, not the kind of stuff previously mentioned that brings an area down.

vent over

• Like 2

I ask this out of ignorance. Why can Cartersville, with fewer residents than Paulding, have such a great downtown with restaurants, retail and nightlife, but neither Hiram nor Dallas can?

Paulding has 40,000 more people than Bartow, similar demographics and a higher median income. On paper, we should have the better restaurants, stores and things to do. What are they doing that we aren't?

• Like 4

I ask this out of ignorance. Why can Cartersville, with fewer residents than Paulding, have such a great downtown with restaurants, retail and nightlife, but neither Hiram nor Dallas can?

Paulding has 40,000 more people than Bartow, similar demographics and a higher median income. On paper, we should have the better restaurants, stores and things to do. What are they doing that we aren't?

That's easy. This and any other comparison of the two where we come out on the losing end is a two word answer as to why.

Interstate Highway

• Like 1

Interstate makes sense for the stores and retaurants along the I-75 corridor. I can't imagine, however, that all the folks I saw in the downtown part of Cartersville yesterday drove over from the interstate. The stores and restaurants were bustling. It was hard to find a place to park, and it was 7:00 at night. If you're walking on Main St in Dallas at 7:00, someone will call the police to report a "suspicious person".

• Like 2

Interstate makes sense for the stores and retaurants along the I-75 corridor. I can't imagine, however, that all the folks I saw in the downtown part of Cartersville yesterday drove over from the interstate. The stores and restaurants were bustling. It was hard to find a place to park, and it was 7:00 at night. If you're walking on Main St in Dallas at 7:00, someone will call the police to report a "suspicious person".

Dallas is a whole different animal. On the surface it just seems that the City does everything it can to discourage the sort of things your talking about. The answer to that "why" is beyond me. I've always chalked it up to a "bible belt" set of values taken to an extreme. But if that's what the people of the City want then more power to them. To each there own.

Kind of like the movie Footloose, which carries a whole 'nother level of irony.

• Like 5

Dallas is a whole different animal. On the surface it just seems that the City does everything it can to discourage the sort of things your talking about. The answer to that "why" is beyond me. I've always chalked it up to a "bible belt" set of values taken to an extreme. But if that's what the people of the City want then more power to them. To each there own.

This is my take on the matter as well.

Interesting point of view. I hope you're not correct, but suspect that you are.

If that's the case, in efforts to maintain a "Bible Belt", we've created Cobb County's trailer park.

• Like 1

Yes Downtown Dallas is going to have a Johnnie Maccrackens pub/brewery ..they have been working on it for a few months

they installed signs last week

post-6720-0-67174900-1477918591_thumb.jpgpost-6720-0-67174900-1477918591_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That is a vast improvement over the vacant building. Hopefully you won't get a public drunk ticket for drinking and walking to the nearest parking lot

• Like 1

They hite better politivians and leadership on general.

• Like 1

They hite better politivians and leadership on general.

Interesting. I honestly don't know to what extent local politicians effect the supply and demand of nightlife and retail therapy. Is it possibly a combination of lack of political will along with a unsupportive population? In my decade here, it seems like the only restaurants and stores that get local support are the big chains. Open a Waffle House or Dollar General you'll be successful. Try something different, you get a vacant building. Agree, disagree? What else am I missing?

Edited by Newbie in New Hope

a lot of thrift stores in paulding... because that is where a lot of people shop now days... but to be honest.. some of the thrift stores are more expensive then regualr shopping malls...

• Like 2

I get the whole supply and demand mentality, I really do. But unless we are using Austell and Mableton as our guide for commerce, we might want to cool it on the thrift stores. Take a drive through Cartersville, Rome, Elijay, Blue Ridge or any other rural town on a Saturday and you realize just what we "could" be. I for one like to see Paulding County money stay in Paulding County. But when the only places to eat are for the most part corporate chains with warmed up microwavable food where my dollars go across the country, it's an easy choice to go elsewhere. It's not something I have to think about very much when deciding on where to go for Saturday afternoon. Gee, do the thrift store tour and then head to a chain restaurant for some food that I get in the frozen section at WM. Or ride up to Cartersville to get a meal from a family owned business and check out the interesting shops. Yes we have some locally owned restaurants and we need more LOCALLY owned establishments. We need more locally owned shops that sell a variety of goods. Establishments that are not a brick and mortar yard sale. I could go on, but the point I am making is that there is more disappointment in what we could be than what were are as of right now. The two factors I see standing in the road of progress are the leadership and the consumers themselves. It's all in what you want to be vs what you could be. Complacency is the mantra of many of our leaders, so that is an uphill battle. The consumers hopefully will realize that there are other businesses that may be great for our county other than thrift stores and chain restaurants.

• Like 2

If I remember when the fight was going on with the Mexican place and they left and whether drinks could be served in Dallas proper, the residents don't want anything new, no noise, no traffic, no nothing.

That's why we don't have anything in such a pretty town square with beautiful fountains.

• Like 3

I go out town because it is a escape from every day life. I can go downtown Dallas, Hiram, Douglasville , Cartersville, Marietta ,etc any time.

Edited by october

Villa Rica also has a nice downtown. A variety of resturants, shops and they often have concerts and events.

I agree... we go to a lot of events there...... they always have something going on and most of the time it is free...

• Like 2

If I remember when the fight was going on with the Mexican place and they left and whether drinks could be served in Dallas proper, the residents don't want anything new, no noise, no traffic, no nothing.

That's why we don't have anything in such a pretty town square with beautiful fountains.

I've often wondered WHY the Mexican Restaurant that was on the Square, left Town. I have a GRUDGE against the former Judge Tony Beavers. Kinda sorta related to this very issue.

Also, why did the City of Dallas, tear up the round flat fountain on the Square and put in that "traditional" looking fountain???

Maybe because it wasn't fancy enough? You couldn't tell it was a fountain from the street? They had some money they had to spend? Who knows.

• Like 2

Maybe because it wasn't fancy enough? You couldn't tell it was a fountain from the street? They had some money they had to spend? Who knows.

No, there was so kind of issue going on with an Attorney (nearby) that didn't want it there. Let me do some digging. Hopefully it's not been deleted!!

Sometimes it seems the only time Paulding county is mentioned it's negative. It has the potential to be a nice place, but that's the problem some just don't want growth or change.

Edited by OSU
  • Like 1

so anyone checked this new store out? what is the name of it?

We went in a couple of weeks ago, lots of tools, some baby things and artificial trees. Hubby loved it! I got a new iron and a paper shredder. They had lawn mowers. Not clothes, shoes or usual thrift store fare.

Edited to add: Endless Yard Sale at Paulding Plaza is closing after Christmas.

We went in a couple of weeks ago, lots of tools, some baby things and artificial trees. Hubby loved it! I got a new iron and a paper shredder. They had lawn mowers. Not clothes, shoes or usual thrift store fare.

Where is the store?

In front of Hiram Station/Farmers Furniture strip mall in Hiram at 120 & 278.

S

In front of Hiram Station/Farmers Furniture strip mall in Hiram at 120 & 278.

So their selling old used stuff in the building were the bar was. Goes to show......the more things change............the more..........well.

Somehow I got the idea that the fountain change was somehow related to the movie they were filming at that time? I am probably wrong and just assuming so because of the timing. I didn't like the new fountain, but then Halloween it was lit with constantly changing colors and I thought it was much nicer, then next time I saw it at dark it was just a white light, and shortly after not running at all. Neither is the fountain by the First Baptist Church. This is my argument against the SPLOST - seems to me it is just money to waste on pretty stuff that either doesn't work properly or is of little use to the people who pay for it (us).

Because Dallas won't allow restaurants in its downtown area. Start allowing restaurants - the rest will follow. Very frustrating.

I can't remember the last time I was in downtown Dallas since we moved to the new hospital. There is a BBQ place near the stop light that has good brisket. Of course, the BBQ across from the old hospital is really good. That's about all I can think of that is there.

Good memory. The Mayor of Dallas and a local Lawyer ran that business off. IMO, dang fine food. What a shame after the renovation in the courtyard, that the city would run a business off.

• Like 1

Somehow I got the idea that the fountain change was somehow related to the movie they were filming at that time? I am probably wrong and just assuming so because of the timing. I didn't like the new fountain, but then Halloween it was lit with constantly changing colors and I thought it was much nicer, then next time I saw it at dark it was just a white light, and shortly after not running at all. Neither is the fountain by the First Baptist Church. This is my argument against the SPLOST - seems to me it is just money to waste on pretty stuff that either doesn't work properly or is of little use to the people who pay for it (us).

Just FYI -- The fountains are not allowed to run due to the drought.

i think they had to cut the fountains off during the water ban.

The Endless yard sale was sold to someone else, and yes they have decided to close it after christmas. when Mary owned it, i liked going in there, her prices were good, things changed when the owner took over.

:o

so anyone checked this new store out? what is the name of it?

I went in. I do not remember the name of it. They are more of a closeout store and had really good prices.