Paulding.com

Former airport director recalls 'disengaged' Paulding commissioner

Former airport director recalls 'disengaged' Paulding commissioner before 2013 announcement

I ran across this yesterday and it had me wondering why now?

I have been gone most of the last year, so I missed a lot of the politics leading up to the commissioners race. I could see this coming out before the vote, but why now?

Is it just setting the record straight because Blake is no longer employed by the county and can say what he wants? But he is not the only one giving statements for the article so help me out here.

It is a very long article so you will need to click through to read it all.

The former Paulding airport director says a commissioner was “completely disengaged” from issues at the county airport in his district before a major project was announced in 2013.

Meanwhile, the commissioner maintains he was intentionally misled about the airport project and other county economic development plans before a controversy erupted which changed Paulding's political direction.

Commissioner Todd Pownall and former airport director Blake Swafford recently recalled events leading up to the October 2013 announcement the Paulding County Airport Authority contracted with a company to recruit a commercial passenger airline to Silver Comet Field airport near Dallas.

The airport authority is seeking a replacement for Swafford, who was airport director from its construction in 2007 until May of this year. The authority recently appointed one of its members, Paulding resident and former Georgia Tech aerospace engineer Terry Tibbitts, as interim director while it searches for a permanent replacement.

Pownall said there was “no doubt” he and Swafford “butted heads” between the announcement about the proposed addition of commercial service and Swafford’s departure in May of this year.

Swafford, who headed the county airport department, “wasn’t honest with me” during the months leading up to Propeller’s announcement, Pownall said.

“He never let me know about it,” Pownall said. “That’s not what you do to your elected officials that are supposed to be supporting the issues and supporting [the airport department]. He worked for the board of commissioners.”

He said he believed Swafford “made a lot of decisions on his own” in working to move the deal forward.

“[swafford] kind of put the wheels in motion and then shared it with people,” Pownall said.

1,050 days we've been hearing the same old song and dance routines on the airport.

The Pro-139'ers are sticking to their story and the Anti-139'ers are sticking to their's. Both side still claim they represent the will of the vast majority of citizens.

I think I've moved to the group that best represents most of the citizens. "I Am Tired Of Hearing The Same Old Anti & Pro-139 Story's. Let The Courts Decide And Let's Embrace The Decisions And Move On".

I don't care if the courts decide General Aviation or Commercial, let's embrace the decisions and move on to make it a successful airport. At this point there are NO winners... We ALL are losers.

• Like 4

1,050 days we've been hearing the same old song and dance routines on the airport.

The Pro-139'ers are sticking to their story and the Anti-139'ers are sticking to their's. Both side still claim they represent the will of the vast majority of citizens.

I think I've moved to the group that best represents most of the citizens. "I Am Tired Of Hearing The Same Old Anti & Pro-139 Story's. Let The Courts Decide And Let's Embrace The Decisions And Move On".

I don't care if the courts decide General Aviation or Commercial, let's embrace the decisions and move on to make it a successful airport. At this point there are NO winners... We ALL are losers.

Is that why this article is out now? It just seems like an election cycle article. Maybe it is just Blake clearing the air before he goes? IDK That is why I posted it, this is somewhat of an expose' . Or this is how it really was.......

Former airport director recalls 'disengaged' Paulding commissioner before 2013 announcement

I ran across this yesterday and it had me wondering why now?

I have been gone most of the last year, so I missed a lot of the politics leading up to the commissioners race. I could see this coming out before the vote, but why now?

Is it just setting the record straight because Blake is no longer employed by the county and can say what he wants? But he is not the only one giving statements for the article so help me out here.

It is a very long article so you will need to click through to read it all.

The former Paulding airport director says a commissioner was “completely disengaged” from issues at the county airport in his district before a major project was announced in 2013.

Meanwhile, the commissioner maintains he was intentionally misled about the airport project and other county economic development plans before a controversy erupted which changed Paulding's political direction.

Commissioner Todd Pownall and former airport director Blake Swafford recently recalled events leading up to the October 2013 announcement the Paulding County Airport Authority contracted with a company to recruit a commercial passenger airline to Silver Comet Field airport near Dallas.

The airport authority is seeking a replacement for Swafford, who was airport director from its construction in 2007 until May of this year. The authority recently appointed one of its members, Paulding resident and former Georgia Tech aerospace engineer Terry Tibbitts, as interim director while it searches for a permanent replacement.

Pownall said there was “no doubt” he and Swafford “butted heads” between the announcement about the proposed addition of commercial service and Swafford’s departure in May of this year.

Swafford, who headed the county airport department, “wasn’t honest with me” during the months leading up to Propeller’s announcement, Pownall said.

“He never let me know about it,” Pownall said. “That’s not what you do to your elected officials that are supposed to be supporting the issues and supporting [the airport department]. He worked for the board of commissioners.”

He said he believed Swafford “made a lot of decisions on his own” in working to move the deal forward.

“[swafford] kind of put the wheels in motion and then shared it with people,” Pownall said.

I think I may have found the answer to my question!

Wake up Paulding FB page

Things that Make you Hmmm…

Is Todd Pownall considering a write-in campaign?

There has been some chatter recently about a write in campaign candidate from anti-commercialization activists for BOC Chairman. Yes, it is technically not over yet! Mid September is the deadline for declaring yourself a write-in candidate. Wake Up Paulding County assumes, but has not verified that if a write in candidate declares, their name would appear on the November presidential ballot alongside Carmichael’s in the county general election, just as if there had been a Democrat primary winner for the BOC Chairman.

At the August 9th BOC meeting Todd Pownall states, “It won’t be the same conversation (referring to a tax increase for next year) coming from this seat if the Lord still has me sitting here next year.”

Is this a HINT that Todd Pownall is considering a write in campaign for BOC Chairman?

Wake up Paulding FB page

There has been some chatter recently about a write in campaign candidate from anti-commercialization activists for BOC Chairman. Yes, it is technically not over yet! Mid September is the deadline for declaring yourself a write-in candidate. Wake Up Paulding County assumes, but has not verified that if a write in candidate declares, their name would appear on the November presidential ballot alongside Carmichael’s in the county general election, just as if there had been a Democrat primary winner for the BOC Chairman.

At the August 9th BOC meeting Todd Pownall states, “It won’t be the same conversation (referring to a tax increase for next year) coming from this seat if the Lord still has me sitting here next year.”

Is this a HINT that Todd Pownall is considering a write in campaign for BOC Chairman?

This is not happening. Those folks just like stirring the pot. Carmichael will be Chair and I welcome him. He won and Congratulations to him.

Wake up Paulding FB page

I think that hint was aimed at David Austin, as in he will not be there next year, Todd keeps repeating himself during these meeetings * Mr. Austin your last day is Dec 31*, I have heard him say that so much until i am sick of it... we all know when David Austins last day is.... I do not care for Todd Pownall... or Vernon Collet.... and that for matter Ron Davis... I have never met any of them, and no one has told me anything about any of them... I have watched all the BOC meetings.... and those 3 seem to just rub me the wrong way for some reason.

• Like 6