Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
newhopemom

Lawnmowers

I was in Sam's Club on Monday and looked at the Black Max - if you are only using for basic homeowner use - 12-15 uses per season then I think this one will last the usual 3-5 years. I would not keep it outside. I have seen others with this same "front pivot wheel" design rust prematurely at the frame welds for the front wheels. This one is made by MTD - maker of most brands out there today.

The best mowers that I have ever used are the old lawn boy 2 cycles - we still have two ('93 and '98 models) that my sons use for their lawn business still in use. I'm guessing they will outlive me unless the EPA shuts us down.

• Like 1

Most anything from that long ago will last because they weren't made to be disposable.

It's almost embarrassing to think that we put up with that crap, considering how 'technologically advanced' we are supposed to be. Can't/won't build decent appliances/mowers/automobiles etc. yet they cost many times more now than when they would last half your life.

Or maybe this is what you get when you want machines to do all your work for you...whatever it is, it's certainly frustrating.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk
  • Like 1

"Or maybe this is what you get when you want machines to do all your work for you...whatever it is, it's certainly frustrating."

Or maybe this is what you get when you want everything to be as cheap as possible. And I am just as guilty as the next guy.

• Like 2

"Or maybe this is what you get when you want machines to do all your work for you...whatever it is, it's certainly frustrating."

Or maybe this is what you get when you want everything to be as cheap as possible. And I am just as guilty as the next guy.

Yep. I've been burned so many times buying cheap you'd think I'd learned by now... but no...

I just hate that buying the "upgraded" version now seems to mean you get a lot of cheap "features" that aren't worth much vs getting any more quality in the build unless you go *real* expensive.

For hand held items - Stihl has been our best long-term performer. Biggest grip with Stihl is that their have dealer only parts so no discounts available online.

I have a 25 year old Toro Professional self-propelled that still runs like a champ. Still starts on first or second pull, magnesium deck so no rust, very quiet, blade clutch instead of engine kill, even still using the original spark plug and bagger.. Some wear on the tires is the only way you can tell how much use is on it.

Yes, it was $600 25 years ago. But worth every penny.

Have you checked with Subby? He usually has some fine reconditioned mower. He had a Toro like mine awhile back.

Things are not made the way they use to be, they are made cheap, and just thrown together, also things last longer if the yare taken care of. oil changed, tune ups, ect....

Things are not made the way they use to be, they are made cheap, and just thrown together, also things last longer if the yare taken care of. oil changed, tune ups, ect....

She is so right!! One word for the NEW crap that comes into my shop....JUNK!!! Totally disposable scrap metal. But it's hard for me to sell an older REBUILT mower because most consumers are taken in by pretty colors and shiny things.....like a bass. Lol..

She is so right!! One word for the NEW crap that comes into my shop....JUNK!!! Totally disposable scrap metal. But it's hard for me to sell an older REBUILT mower because most consumers are taken in by pretty colors and shiny things.....like a bass. Lol..

Yep. I was reading the manual for a blower I bought from Sears (yea, I'm that weird) and looked at the engine specs. The blower engine was rated for 50 (that's five zero, fifty) hours of operation. That's it. Use it for an hour a week and it's gone within a year. Junk.

Yep, it's all crap that is trying to get the lowest price they can because we've proved we as a nation prefer cheap Chinese carp.

Regarding mowers, Snapper always comes to mind as being the Die Hard out of the bunch. I still service these mowers that were purchased in the 70s!! Some are on their 4th and 5th engines they last so long.

Regarding mowers, Snapper always comes to mind as being the Die Hard out of the bunch. I still service these mowers that were purchased in the 70s!! Some are on their 4th and 5th engines they last so long.

Subby my FIL who has past away now swore by Snapper Comets. He had an old Comet that he had put like a 14 h.p. motor on and that sob hauled the mail. It was the most dangerous mower on earth but I can still see him hauling butt on the side of a mountain in Hiawassee where we own a cabin. The women folk would go inside because they were sure one of us was going to get killed. We totally abuse that mower and it never gave up. Good times, precious memories. I miss the man everyday of my life.

• Like 1

Subby my FIL who has past away now swore by Snapper Comets. He had an old Comet that he had put like a 14 h.p. motor on and that sob hauled the mail. It was the most dangerous mower on earth but I can still see him hauling butt on the side of a mountain in Hiawassee where we own a cabin. The women folk would go inside because they were sure one of us was going to get killed. We totally abuse that mower and it never gave up. Good times, precious memories. I miss the man everyday of my life.

What a great story. Thanks for the smile.