Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Raider

3-year-old killed in accidental shooting in Paulding County

Authorities in Paulding County are investigating a shooting involving a child.

Police say a 3-year-old got ahold of a gun and it went off, killing him. The shooting happened on Camp Circle and Dallas Acworth Highway around 7:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Police say the boy got a hold of the gun and it went off.

We have a crew on the way to the scene – Watch Channel 2 Action News at Noon for updates.

How does a 3 year old get their hands on a loaded gun? Yet another case of irresponsible gun ownership.

Heartbreaking.

• Like 6

This makes my heart hurt. I saw and heard the helicopter this morning - it always makes me sad to see those as you know someone is in serious trouble.

My heartfelt prayers go out to this precious angel's family and friends.

• Like 1

People have guns because they've been sold on the idea they provide protection.

For them to perform that function, they can't be in a locked vault with a trigger lock and ammunition in another secure location. There is just no way that firearm can be assembled in time to effectively deal with an intruder. If proper care is taken to keep them from kids, they are useless.

The point is that if you have children, you probably ought not have loaded guns as they are about 100 times more likely to get a hold of your gun than you are to face an intruder. Fortunately, a tragedy doesn't happen every time but tragedies happen at least ten times more often than home invasions.

If your fear of an intruder remains, a good alternative is a baseball bat or even a crossbow that you would have to cock and load with an arrow if an intruder comes in. Hell, put baseball bats behind every door.

I think folks, especially those with small children, should look at the Home Alone movie series as perhaps it will give them the personal confidence that a few well-placed items can be effective tools. One of my favorites is a heavy object, such as the bowling ball, at the head of the stairs. Physics is your friend.

Even a properly charged air pistol would likely dissuade all but the most determined home invader if you hit him/her in the face with a .177 cal pellet.

I know when I was growing up the 'conventional wisdom' was that you didn't have loaded firearms in the house ... if you had firearms at all.

But the real point is that you are not nearly as likely to be the victim of a home invasion as you've been led to believe ... and about the only people I've ever encountered who may actually need a loaded firearm at the ready in their home were those I suspected might be dealing drugs. Now I've known a lot of people who kept loaded firearms around who weren't drug dealers and of them, the one who I felt was justified, was an assistant district attorney who was racking up a few enemies through his official job.

pubby

Sadly it isn't just small children who "play" with guns. A neighbors teenage granddaughter did the same thing about 3 years ago and died instantly while showing it to friends. I think that not having a gun is a good idea. Like Pubby alluded to; I have a gun hidden; and ammunition hidden in another spot. I would have to ask the intruder to wait a minute in order to get it all together.

Such a tragedy.

• Like 2

My thoughts and prayers for the family.

I can't even imagine what they're going through. :(

• Like 1

This could so easily have been avoided. Parents have to learn to keep guns out of the reach of their children. It is so sad!! RIP little one!

• Like 1

Very sad.

This was the reason I sold every revolver I had when my first was born. My automatics were kept on an empty chamber. Until the child is much older they don't have the strength to force an automatic to cycle by hand. (They were also kept on the top closet shelf away from little hands)

I can get to it plenty fast yet much safer. By they time they might could get to it and have the strength to cycle it, I had made sure they understood to stay away from it if I wasn't there to be with them.

• Like 2

Very sad.

This was the reason I sold every revolver I had when my first was born. My automatics were kept on an empty chamber. Until the child is much older they don't have the strength to force an automatic to cycle by hand. (They were also kept on the top closet shelf away from little hands)

I can get to it plenty fast yet much safer. By they time they might could get to it and have the strength to cycle it, I had made sure they understood to stay away from it if I wasn't there to be with them.

Good ideas but WSB describes the handgun as a small semi-automatic. Of course if you had done like Putsy said in his really out of touch post you should just have a sharp stick hid in a closet of course. Don't underestimate a feather duster when a geeked up meth head breaks in your house when your wife or child is at home alone.

Edited by Stonewall
  • Like 2

Yes, the typical gun safe cannot be accessed quickly in the event of an intruder. HOWEVER, today some gun safes are made with a fingerprint reader. All it takes is the swipe of the programmed fingerprint to open the safe to a loaded firearm. If you need to keep your firearms locked away, but want to keep one out and loaded "just in case", then I would suggest investing in this type of gun safe and keeping it close at hand. We do not have children in our home, so we keep them loaded all over the house.

I hate to see that someone has lost such a beautiful child. The family will be in my prayers for peace and comfort.

Edited by MsGaStorm
  • Like 2

there is a saying....there but for the grace of God go I. what this poor family needs are our prayers for strength to survive this horrible accident. not our Monday morning quarterbacking comments. and so I will pray for them and keep my unnecessary, unwanted and uncalled for comments to myself. that is why this is being called a horrible accident, because it is.

• Like 13

Yes, the typical gun safe cannot be accessed quickly in the event of an intruder. HOWEVER, today some gun safes are made with a fingerprint reader. All it takes is the swipe of the programmed fingerprint to open the safe to a loaded firearm. If you need to keep your firearms locked away, but want to keep one out and loaded "just in case", then I would suggest investing in this type of gun safe and keeping it close at hand. We do not have children in our home, so we keep them loaded all over the house.

I hate to see that someone has lost such a beautiful child. The family will be in my prayers for peace and comfort.

Beautifully said, my dear. My heart goes out to this devastated family.

• Like 4

They are Believers and have a strong faith. Pray that God would protect their marriage cuz satan is gonna throw everything he has at them.

I know the mom and know how this happened. They were responsible with it, it was just the 60 seconds it was unguarded that the unthinkable happened. This is NOT the time for judgemental, harsh opinions and tirades from anybody. This family needs our prayers and love. All I can picture is Haley on her knees, covered in her son's blood, administering CPR and praying. It's hard losing a patient if you're unsuccessful with CPR, I can't even beging to imagine how hard it is to lose your own child, your only son, when it's your job to keep them safe and to take care of people. All any of us can do for them right now is to pray and love them. These parents have to tell their 2-year-old daughters that their brother won't be back. They have to live with this for the rest of their lives. Please, save the gun debate for a different time, a different thread. At least let them bury their child before telling them what they did wrong.

• Like 14

I know the mom and know how this happened. They were responsible with it, it was just the 60 seconds it was unguarded that the unthinkable happened. This is NOT the time for judgemental, harsh opinions and tirades from anybody. This family needs our prayers and love. All I can picture is Haley on her knees, covered in her son's blood, administering CPR and praying. It's hard losing a patient if you're unsuccessful with CPR, I can't even beging to imagine how hard it is to lose your own child, your only son, when it's your job to keep them safe and to take care of people. All any of us can do for them right now is to pray and love them. These parents have to tell their 2-year-old daughters that their brother won't be back. They have to live with this for the rest of their lives. Please, save the gun debate for a different time, a different thread. At least let them bury their child before telling them what they did wrong.

Amen!!!!

• Like 1

:cray:

The loss of a precious child is so very difficult. That loss being the result of negligence is even harder. I cannot imagine the guilt involved. I do not know how anyone can get over that.

The fact is that a gun owner is responsible for that weapon, no one else. When you have children, you are responsible for their safety.

Everything I have heard about this little boy, it is mentioned how active and full of energy he was.

If this tragedy helps people to be more aware of the responsibility they have, maybe it can help prevent additional tragedies.

My heart breaks for everyone this touches.

Please, everyone just take a minute every day to think about how you can make things safer for everyone around you. It may not be anything more than pick up that bottle and put it in the trash. It could be holding the door for someone. Slowing down as you drive through a neighborhood or near a school. STOP a little further back for that school bus. Be aware of what's behind you before you put on those brakes. Make eye contact with the driver before you step into that crosswalk in front of them. Look twice before backing up. Smile more, it might just help someone feel better. (including yourself)

• Like 3

well said...

The loss of a precious child is so very difficult. That loss being the result of negligence is even harder. I cannot imagine the guilt involved. I do not know how anyone can get over that.

The fact is that a gun owner is responsible for that weapon, no one else. When you have children, you are responsible for their safety.

Everything I have heard about this little boy, it is mentioned how active and full of energy he was.

If this tragedy helps people to be more aware of the responsibility they have, maybe it can help prevent additional tragedies.

My heart breaks for everyone this touches.

Please, everyone just take a minute every day to think about how you can make things safer for everyone around you. It may not be anything more than pick up that bottle and put it in the trash. It could be holding the door for someone. Slowing down as you drive through a neighborhood or near a school. STOP a little further back for that school bus. Be aware of what's behind you before you put on those brakes. Make eye contact with the driver before you step into that crosswalk in front of them. Look twice before backing up. Smile more, it might just help someone feel better. (including yourself)

I agree with your sentiments and this tragedy did prompt

another serious talk with my young child about gun safety.

The comments directed toward this family online

in other places were inexcusable and inhumane.

They remain in my deepest prayers...

• Like 5

If any of you knew this family, you would be heart broken for them. They are fabulous parents and truly good people. As said earlier, if not for the grace of God.............

• Like 6

Good ideas but WSB describes the handgun as a small semi-automatic. Of course if you had done like Putsy said in his really out of touch post you should just have a sharp stick hid in a closet of course. Don't underestimate a feather duster when a geeked up meth head breaks in your house when your wife or child is at home alone.

Unless you live off Bankhead Highway in Fulton County, that is not a likely event. Still, I know this type of event is possible and for those who are inclined toward fear, it is a great selling point justifying getting a gun 'for personal protection.'

I too hate to see anyone lose a child. Part of my outspokeness comes from the loss of my best friend when I was a kid to such a senseless accident to a gun kept close for personal protection.

Your gun safe idea actually does have merit. Indeed, it is possible to make firearms that can be fired only by the owner. The electronics in small quantities would be comparatively expensive to produce but if such personalization of firearms were mandated across the board, the cost would be minimal. Of course the NRA, because they are spokesmen for the arms industry, oppose such 'smart gun' technology. Why?

I've buried dear, dear friends. Every time I hear of such a tragedy, I relive those moments. This is the way that I deal with it; by calling out not the parents ... they were being, as you say, responsible and I know they were. This happens because there is a manner of thinking about guns that makes it impossible to achieve the perfection necessary to avoid such accidents. It isn't their fault; it is the way this culture thinks about guns and that way of thinking has been manipulated by the corporate interests behind the industry.

If any of you knew this family, you would be heart broken for them. They are fabulous parents and truly good people. As said earlier, if not for the grace of God.............

that is so true ... if not for the grace of God ... and I am heart broken every time I hear or read of such a tragedy ... and then am confronted by those who don't want to point the finger at the sobs that make this all too common a reality by marketing, if you will, fear.

pubby

My wife and I are very likely alive today because we had a handgun within arms reach one time. I didn`t have to use it. Only produced it. My prayers go out to this family. We go to great lengths to keep weapons away from visiting grandkids. We lost a sweet little nephew once due to drowning in a YMCA swimming pool. There were lifeguards present. I feel the sorrow of the Cole family. We don`t know why these things happen.I can`t blame the lifeguards,the parents,or the owners or makers of the swimming pool. I don`t blame God,either. A beautiful child went to be with Him.

• Like 3