Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
oneijack

Yet another internet provider question.

So I discovered I can get AT&T's Uverse GigaPower at my house now which offers up to 1Gbp speed up and down for $70 a month, price locked for 3 years. But before I jump on this I wondered if anyone else has yet. I'm not a huge fan of ATT but I have no love for Comcast either. Oh and the data cap is 1 terabyte a month which also got my attention. I read a few horror stories online about GigaPower but it was other states and over a year ago. So not wanting to be a guinea pig I wanted to ask around.

I had the package that's below 1Gbp because at the time I didn't want to pay more a month and my package included unlimited data when I first signed up. However, I loved my Uverse and had less problems with it in 4 years than I've had with Comcast in 6 months. I know if they would offer it at my house now, I'll switch over immediately.

I'd love to get GigaPower and wouldn't hesitate to switch from Comcast. Both suck with account management, billing, and customer service. I tried Uverse a few years ago and it didn't work well. 1TB of monthly data is quite a bit. I think I get 300GB with Comcast now and never even come close to using half. If you watch alot of Netflix and other online videos it'll eat it up but 1TB is still quite a bit.

Ok so I pulled the trigger and ordered the GigaPower plan. It is going to be installed next Saturday. I guess I will update with a review if anyone is interested about it.

• Like 1

Ok so I pulled the trigger and ordered the GigaPower plan. It is going to be installed next Saturday. I guess I will update with a review if anyone is interested about it.

Please update , I'm interested. TIA

Another perk of this new service is the "Gateway" their fancy name for the router. It is a 802.11ac so even my wireless is ridiculously fast (have a few devices that are ac compliant) and there is no monthly equipment charge for that so ... woot.

So far so good. One fun fact I learned from the tech is with fiber you don't share any of your bandwidths with any of your neighbors, unlike cable. So there are never any slowdowns at any time of the day.

Oh and I had to laugh. I called Comcast to cancel and they insulted me because they couldn't offer me a better deal (I didn't even ask for one) The lady got kinda rude after I told her I already switched and it was only $70. She was like we could have given you a plan for $99 but its better blah blah blah. I said ummm I'm at almost a full gigabit and nothing in my house could handle anything faster anyway so how can it be better? She got off the phone quickly after that. lol

Edited by oneijack

I live in New Hope and that service is not available at my home. What part of the county do you live in?

I'm lucky to even have internet out here.

I live in New Hope and that service is not available at my home. What part of the county do you live in?

I'm just off Graham Rd. Which is back behind the old hardware store on Merchants Dr. There are lots of subdivisions back in here so ATT spent the money to run fiber all through this area. The funny part is I'm the only one that has it installed now in my neighborhood according to my service tech.

ATT was out on friday on nebo installing a lot of new service for cable/internet... I think they had a bundle speacil going....

The service tech told me ATT is planning on running a lot of fiber around Paulding but I think they are trying to hit the densest populated neighborhoods first. They are trying to fend off Google fiber and put a hurting on Comcast.

The service tech told me ATT is planning on running a lot of fiber around Paulding but I think they are trying to hit the densest populated neighborhoods first. They are trying to fend off Google fiber and put a hurting on Comcast.

They need to.. The upload speed of the DSL based UVERSE services is awful. My son likes to upload video and a single one can take all night at 1.5 mbs. Did they give you any idea what the Giga rate would be after the three years?

They need to.. The upload speed of the DSL based UVERSE services is awful. My son likes to upload video and a single one can take all night at 1.5 mbs. Did they give you any idea what the Giga rate would be after the three years?

Well as long as Google is offering fiber for $70ish and next Comcast tries to catch up I don't see the price jumping too much. It's hard to say but the next tech we will be seeing is large scale wifi similar to cellular but much higher (gigabit range) speeds.

wanted to speak out about switching to comcast. so far it is good. no pixels at night or losing tv viewing .u-verse was getting worse and worse by the day---and night.

it took hubby a few hours to download games for his x-box on u-verse. no problem with comcast-a few minutes and it was done. he is happy.

install was quick and efficient , done by derrick, signed up for auto-pay . all family members can watch television or play on internet with no disruptions night and day . we live off mcclung and u-verse was fed out of box on cochran ridge-not good .Thanks Comcast for the great service so far and the family harmony you have provided .

• Like 1