Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
PatriotBandMom

Myasthenia Gravis - does anyone have this disease?

My mom was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis February 1st. After suffering with double vision that started January 16th, 3 opthomologist appointments, trip to the er, ct scan, mri. Finally a diagnosis was made by a Neurologist. She was put on medication, after one pill the double vision went away. Second pill, she had an allergic reaction. Put on another medication and steadily declined.

By last Monday, February 22, she could no longer hold her head up right, walk, both eyes closed, having hard time breathing and swallowing. She has been in Northside Hospital ever since. She is now having what is called plasmapheresis. Where her plasma is taken from her blood and good plasma put back in. She will have 4 treatments. She is improving daily. She has had 2 treatments so far.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there suffers from this disease. We knew nothing about it and have been educated in a hurry. The people who have this are called 'snowflakes' because no two treatments or symptoms are the same. We think she has had this for a long time and just caught it when her eyes went.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to me. My mom is 74 years old. My dad is 82 and this has been hard on him.

It has been, it has been a roller coaster. For years she has had shortness of breath and the Dr's could never find the cause. She also had neck pain, and general limb weakness.

Ari Onassis had it as well. I had a friend that I lost track of several years ago. She suffered from it. I remember that she could barely keep her eyes open. She had eye surgery in Augusta at the hospital attached to the medical college and it helped her tremendously.

I have neevr heard of this.... I hope your mom can recovery from this.

Mom got out of Northside after 12 days. Now she is back in with pneumonia.

I'm so sorry your mama is going through this. My prayers are with her, you and everyone who loves her. Please keep us posted. :wub: