101 replies to this topic

#41 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

I find it fascinating you want to turn over the administration from a board that included pilots and others directly involved in economic development to an elected board that contains, at most, one person with more than a high school diploma ...  because the airport board lacks expertise.

You point out that there is nothing in the EA or other document that says that commercial will be any more successful than a general aviation airport ... and they shouldn't.  The Environmental Assessment was there to determine if there was a substantial change in the environmental footprint of the facility as it is because of commercial activity and the reading was the runway stays the same, the terminal, for the most part, stays the same, and the addition of a fire station, fence and control tower - the key additions - don't have much environmental impact.

The issue remains, what is wrong with people as cargo ... or what's wrong with people?  We've got plenty of people but we don't have plenty of industry ... and it would be industry that would be air-freighting toxic chemicals and other substances that might be much more dangerous to the population than people.

Indeed, I was puzzled that you folks are not  up in arms about the rail road industry.  They come through town and all around carrying tons of toxic substances including those that can explode and take out an entire town and they blow their loud horns at all hours of the day and night and not a peep out of you regarding that. 

I mean the reasons  you state as your objections seem silly in comparison to the risks we face normally every day and then you object to people as cargo as if they threaten your life.  I just don't get it.

pubby

Have you ever seen a train do to a town what Hartsfield Jackson Airport did to Clayton County? Heck they even piped the Flint river through that airport, and bridged two major interstates, Drove up the taxes in the county among the highest in the State

Pubby its not the cargo that the planes carry , its the tens of millions of passengers that will be trying to get around Paulding County once they get the major hub set up.

Pubby it is the secret meetings that the Airport Authority continues today, For instance the past two regular meetings last about ten minutes each and the rest of the meeting is done behind closed doors, and it is rare when they come out of closed session and report of any action taken.

The people cargo is a target for the terrorist therefore all kinds of special security has to be available for a airport as opposed to a train

When you have a major hub (like what is secretly planned here) It will do the sane here that it did in Riverdale and College Park, Crime will soar, our taxes will soar ,along with corruption traffic congestion And Paulding County will have to deal with that not the Airport Authority

Who do you think is going to pay for the extra sheriffs, Marshall's, firemen,  maintenance etc.???

Are you back on the PAYROLL????

• mojo413 and radiohead like this
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has Margaret Mead

I oppose the airport expansion

http://www.savepauldingco.com/blog/

"And believe you me, if there was going to be airliners I would not be a part of this, never ever would I be a part of this"

#42 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

I see, your three high school grads sitting on the BOC are going to do that with the GA airport because of their deep experience in economic development. 

Where's that business plan?  

The real reason that the FAA is even considering the 139 is because they are at loggerheads with HJ and not a little pissed that folks like Delta have turned up their nose at subsidies the FAA is giving to smaller city airports to arguably the biggest hub in the world ... thus crippling commercial air transportation system.  Why?  Because they can make more money on international flights and other flights and there isn't the capacity at HJIA for those flights and the regional ones. 

Why don't you do an open records request from the FAA on how many millions in subsidies for smaller airports goes unallocated because the major airlines cut service to smaller airports in the country meaning you 'can't get there from here.'  

Further, the silly part is that you say out of one side of your mouth, there is no market and this will be an abject failure and then,  out of the other side your mouth, we can't have commercial traffic at Silver Comet because of the overwhelming noise from so many travelers coming here.  Do you not the inconsistency?

And, considering all, do you not see the inconsistency when you refuse to let the market determine if it can be successful?   Instead you want government to decide based on what at best can be determined the Not in my Back Yard public sentiment.

Again, what is wrong with serving people?  What do you have against people?   Why would you prefer non-commercial aircraft that can a much wider variety of items including potentially toxic items over planes that restrict such cargo because they are carrying PEOPLE?

I still don't get what you have against people?

pubby 

So now the three commissioners who graduated from high school are not smart enough to do economic development.. Wow... Funny all three have pretty good businesses going here in the County and do employ more folks than you do, as a college grad.

Todd Pownall was smart enough to vote against the film studio  And all the Grads on the IBA Board and the chamber of commerce, and yes even the Commission Chairman was in 100% support of making  Paulding County the Hollywood of the South, Oh and the director of the AA with all of his credentials could not even build or design a corporate hanger without it collapsing and killing workers.  And just so you know the richest person in the USA is not a college graduate.

It is no wonder that P.Com  is a failure with your attitude toward folks who are simply a high school graduate!!!!!!

Pubby sometimes a little common sense goes a lot further that a college education.

• fordtech, radiohead and tundra like this
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has Margaret Mead

"And believe you me, if there was going to be airliners I would not be a part of this, never ever would I be a part of this"

#43 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

Austin works as chairman full-time, does he not? I'm sure there are a lot of things he does in the process of day-to-day operations as chairman that he doesn't report to the commissioners.

And while you see him getting a legal opinion from someone with "no knowledge," I'm seeing that he's getting an opinion from an independent attorney — one that doesn't get a paycheck from the county — and I'd venture a guess that Barnes has a bit of legal knowledge, or at the very least, some knowledge of how government works, from, you know, actually serving in government.

There  you go again, Roy did not write the report, I KNOW I KNOW the chair dude said he got it from Roy Barnes the letter plainly states who made the decision and that Roy Barnes was only cc:

#44 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

There  you go again, Roy did not write the report, I KNOW I KNOW the chair dude said he got it from Roy Barnes the letter plainly states who made the decision and that Roy Barnes was only cc:

Then who signed the opinion Whitey?
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#45 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'm not an attorney, nor have I talked to the airport attorney about the hold up.  I'm sure you have.  Hundreds of times.  Of course no matter what answer is given to you, it will never be good enough or agreeable with your point of view just as the numerous explanations about Dave Carmichael resigning haven't stopped you from spewing out nonsense and ugliness about the man.

As for "transparency and honesty" that you claim David Austin doesn't have, I think you should look in your own circle at the people you support who wouldn't know what that is if it bit them in the ass.  And after attending several meetings now, all I see is a juvenile behavior and spiteful insinuations that do nothing to serve the citizens of Paulding County.

You want justice you say?  Sorry, but I don't see "do it my way or take the highway" as any kind of justice and that's the only way you see it.

I have not talked to the attorney representing the Airport Authority about the Ultra Vires law suit.

I have attended every hearing they have had in Paulding County, and listened intently at the proceedings.

That does not make me smarter than you, but it does make me more informed than you since I do try to find out what is happening in Paulding County  that directly affects me and my family

Dave Carmichael QUIT his post mid term and as a result the people in post # 1  do not have any representation on the commission until at least Mid to late March

Dave knew or should of known that all the appointments for the following year are always done in December as a result of Dave quitting his post the folks in post one do not have any representation on several important  boards such as the water and sewerage board which spent $15,000,000 this past meeting to replace some main  water lines (even though we can't spend a few thousands to provide water to a church,

The planning and zoning board is another major board  that has no representation from post one with major issues going on right now that affects many residents of post # 1 again no commissioner to resolve the issues there

I have never heard of a commissioner resigning almost six months prior to the election to run for another job, They always resigned if they qualified for another job, fact is I have never see anyone announce that far in advance of the primary election.

Finally Jane Ty you can open your eyes and see that David was going to appoint the folks for post #1 and got caught red handed doing and acted dumb about it and the County attorney told him that it couldn't happen that way

What really gets me though is the resigning to allegedly save a few thousands dollars..... Really.... Dave resign to save a few thousand dollars on a special election and the two running mates you are hanging with were involved in TWO SPECIAL ELECTIONS costing more that Dave supposedly saved........ Tell Geof that Dave could of QUIT of February 10, 2016 with the same results and old Dave could of represented the folks in post #1 until that date

I wonder why Dave was not interested in saving Millions on the airport when he was secretly meeting on the commercialization of the airport after he was elected to the commission funny how David allowed him to stay on both jobs yet others had  to quit their jobs in order to run

#46 rockster

rockster

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

As I understand it, and I certainly may not understand it correctly, but as I understand it, no lawsuit has been filed against the county of Paulding, at least not the original lawsuit by the 6 plaintiffs, you know, the one everyone says Delta is financing.

The lawsuit has been filed against Airport Authority and, I'm not sure about this, the IBA.

If my understanding is correct, then there is a major lawsuit (possibly financed by a company that has more money than Paulding county) against a government entity, that we the tax payers, who are paying for the defense of this lawsuit, have no say so over that government entity.

To put it simply (and this is my understanding, it could be wrong), since the AA and IBA have been moved out from under the Board of Commissioners control, we the taxpayers have no elected representation, by our elected district commissioner, over the AA or the IBA.

BUT, we the tax payers are on the hook for the cost of defending the lawsuit, no matter how long it takes or the cost for the lawyers.

Isn't that kinda what we dumped some tea into a harbor and fought a war against?

Since it is the AA, and possibly the IBA, that is being sued, not the actual county of Paulding, and since these entities do not come under the control the Paulding BOC, then the BOC has no say so in how to handle the lawsuit against the AA and/or the IBA.

Is that basically correct? 

I'll say it again, based on what I understand is government's (most all governments) normal reaction to a lawsuit, which is to delay, delay, delay and delay some more, hoping to run the plaintiffs out of funds, thus causing the lawsuit to be dropped or easily defeated.

You better hope it ain't Delta, cause Paulding will go broke before Delta will. 

LOL. Yeah, no knowledge of who is funding the plaintiff's legal fees. But if it's Delta or the City of Atlanta...they could buy and sell Paulding County in a heartbeat. 

• WHITEY and NewsJunky like this

#47 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

Some of the comments by Supporters of 139 have been entertaining.

I tend to lean towards the known facts. Some of these are;
• Surely the business conducted by the IBA & PCAA are illegal, or their attorney's would be rushing to have 2) now old cases heard.
• Surely Propeller has never had a business plan.
• Surely the voters have spoken and will continue to speak at the ballot box.
• Surely after 800 days (since the public announcement) we should all agree our wagon is stuck in the ditch and our wagon will most likely rot & rust away before it's recovered.

And Pubby, your elementary school yard bullying tactic of degrading 3 of the Commissioners education level... Look in the mirror and ask yourself "who got more votes?" It might be interesting research project for me to someday study who holds the all time record for lowest vote getter in a Paulding County BOC Primary or election?

I continue to stand by my statement "I always enjoy listening to you more than reading you".
  • WHITEY likes this
Retired. I only work 12 noon to 1pm.
Most days I take an hour lunch break.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#48 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

Then who signed the opinion Whitey?

The GUIDANCE was signed by W Mstthew Wilson

• mojo413 likes this

#49 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

Some of the comments by Supporters of 139 have been entertaining.

I tend to lean towards the known facts. Some of these are;
• Surely the business conducted by the IBA & PCAA are illegal, or their attorney's would be rushing to have 2) now old cases heard.
• Surely after 800 days (since the public announcement) we should all agree our wagon is stuck in the ditch and our wagon will most likely rot & rust away before it's recovered.

And Pubby, your elementary school yard bullying tactic of degrading 3 of the Commissioners education level... Look in the mirror and ask yourself "who got more votes?" It might be interesting research project for me to someday study who holds the all time record for lowest vote getter in a Paulding County BOC Primary or election?

I continue to stand by my statement "I always enjoy listening to you more than reading you".

I wasn't degrading their educational status ... I was stating fact.

As far as more votes in this, that is comparing apples to oranges. 

Now, as far as your facts ... I would suggest they are opinions.

Pure supposition

That is almost absurd to state and definitely an opinion ...  such business plans are considered corporate secrets, at least in my experience.

A small percentage of voters have spoken - somewhere in the neighbor hoot of 4 percent of the registered voters as the May 2014 primary in Paulding had but 5004 ... or was it 5020 votes cast from a registered list of over 78,000 eligible voters ... and I don't consider such a low turnout a mandate.

From what I've gathered from the attitudes of local tea party folks who don't believe in government, don't believe government can do anything and that government, and therefore elected officials, should really be  paid to do nothing ... I'd say they are have no real, genuine interest in the wagon being recovered.  All they want is to do is the absolute minimum because that is what small government does.

They, IMO, seek the office and make the effort because they want to be paid to do nothing; figuring that is the best job around.

pubby

#50 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Ghost Airport's sound familiar ?

http://uverse.com/uv...0660326?ref=yfp

• WHITEY and tundra like this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#51 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Mid-America is in the St. Louis area and is across the river in Illinois.  It is a failure, for sure.

Given the relative ratios and assuming that Silver Comet is as bad at attracting passengers as Mid-America Airport; the relative size of the markets would be the deciding factor.

The math of ratios would be based on the 12.4 million passengers at St. Louis' Lambert Field vs. the 27,000 passengers at Mid-America Airport.  That represents the market share of Mid-America Airport at somewhere less than 1/4 of a percent (.22% market share.)

So what would a .22% of a percent of the Atlanta passenger market be?   215,500 passengers/yr.

Obviously the same market share as this failed airport in St. Louis would represent a  very successful venture in the Atlanta area.

pubby

#52 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

Mid-America is in the St. Louis area and is across the river in Illinois.  It is a failure, for sure.

Given the relative ratios and assuming that Silver Comet is as bad at attracting passengers as Mid-America Airport; the relative size of the markets would be the deciding factor.

The math of ratios would be based on the 12.4 million passengers at St. Louis' Lambert Field vs. the 27,000 passengers at Mid-America Airport.  That represents the market share of Mid-America Airport at somewhere less than 1/4 of a percent (.22% market share.)

So what would a .22% of a percent of the Atlanta passenger market be?   215,500 passengers/yr.

Obviously the same market share as this failed airport in St. Louis would represent a  very successful venture in the Atlanta area.

pubby

Who was the initial carrier, that pulled out and 2 years later is trying it again?  Do you really believe we're going to pull .22% of the market share from the busiest airport in the world that already has at least three discount carriers?  Really?. 

• mojo413 likes this

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#53 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

Who was the initial carrier, that pulled out and 2 years later is trying it again?  Do you really believe we're going to pull .22% of the market share from the busiest airport in the world that already has at least three discount carriers?  Really?. 

I certainly don't think we could do worse than Mid-America Airport and I suspect we would do much better.  The reason is that St. Louis is not much of a hub whereas Atlanta is. 

From the consumer's point of view; if you flew into Mid-America airport, about the only place you can go from there is St. Louis... even if you drove the 50 miles to Lambert field.  If you landed at SCF ... you'd be within 35 miles of HJIA ... and you'd still spend more time at HJIA getting to your plane than you would from SCF to HJIA (except between 7a and 10a MF).

pubby

#54 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

The more things change, the more they remain the same.  This is the same group that gave us the General Aviation airport, that has been a complete failure, the film studio that has been a complete failure and you want us to believe this is the "ONE"? 

Sorry we tried to tell you about the airport, before it was built, they were told about the film studio before it was built.  How many more failures are you the taxpayers willing to back?

This is just one of many threads on these matters.  Pay attention to who has always supported these failed projects.  paulding.com/forum/topic/275256-pcoms-story-on-the-atlanta-film-studios/?hl=%2Bfilm+%2Bstudio

• WHITEY and mojo413 like this

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

#55 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Here's another one, some more comparison to the failed airport, before commercialization was even dreamed up, supposedly. 

http://paulding.com/...l=+film +studio

Hate to say it but they were told. That stupid trouble maker Tom Millenase.  Wasn't Roy Sparks a good friend of his, too.  Troublemakers, I tell you!!   

Edited by tundra, 11 December 2015 - 03:43 PM.

• mojo413 likes this

#56 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

Here's another one, some more comparison to the failed airport, before commercialization was even dreamed up, supposedly. 

http://paulding.com/...l=+film +studio

Hate to say it but they were told. That stupid trouble maker Tom Millenase.  Wasn't Roy Sparks a good friend of his, too.  Troublemakers, I tell you!!   

Troublemakers ... naw ... ideologues ... that I can buy.

pubby

#57 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Troublemakers ... naw ... ideologues ... that I can buy.

pubby

Pubby, you've batted zero.  Why don't you just move out of the way and let the movers and shakers show you how it's supposed to be done.  Let the troublemakers speak the truth, as they always do. 

#58 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

Yep, batted zero :) I haven't gotten a simple answer to some simple questions.

For instance, if the only substantive difference between SCF with and without a 139 is that they can have scheduled passenger flights, what is wrong with serving people?  Nor have you said why you don't want the market to decide.

Two very basic tenants of our free enterprise system.

All I've heard are complex, convoluted comments that conjure conspiracy theories that put any of mine to shame.

pubby

#59 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

No139!! PropellerGoHome!!

#60 Nice Green

Nice Green

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

Bottom line, the county owns the airport........... that was until Austin and Company, a lame duck BOC, gave it to an unelected board to circumvent an election he didn't like the results of. 

Did you ever elect any Supreme Court justices? I guess their decisions should be rendered moot because no one ever elected them to the job.

I just love it when the tired ol' "unelected board" line gets pulled back out again.

Don't forget "lame duck," too, because elected officials should never get to serve for their full terms, or do anything of substance after a primary or general election. Heck, let's just have elections right after the new year so politicians can just sit on their hands for a year and not do anything we don't like.

#61 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

Did you ever elect any Supreme Court justices? I guess their decisions should be rendered moot because no one ever elected them to the job.

I just love it when the tired ol' "unelected board" line gets pulled back out again.

Don't forget "lame duck," too, because elected officials should never get to serve for their full terms, or do anything of substance after a primary or general election. Heck, let's just have elections right after the new year so politicians can just sit on their hands for a year and not do anything we don't like.

Now that is one proposal I can get behind!   :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  

The most dangerous time to be a Georgian is when the GA Legislature is in session.

The same holds true for most all other elected positions.

Edited by stradial, 12 December 2015 - 12:05 AM.

• mei lan likes this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#62 rockster

rockster

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:39 AM

Although not directed for a response from me, I'll tune in. Apples vs Oranges re: Supreme Court Justices. Yep, highly respected educated folks. That have been appointed and have a very stressful mindset, yet they do not have the ability to issue bonds on the taxpayers.

Quite obvious an elected official bailed way b4 he should have. Can't argue there can you? The community, IMO, has gooten involved and taking notes. I just wish the division of the community would come to peace if the two current pending cases would be heard. Typical, it's the COUNTY not wanting to go to court.

#63 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

Although not directed for a response from me, I'll tune in. Apples vs Oranges re: Supreme Court Justices. Yep, highly respected educated folks. That have been appointed and have a very stressful mindset, yet they do not have the ability to issue bonds on the taxpayers.

Quite obvious an elected official bailed way b4 he should have. Can't argue there can you? The community, IMO, has gooten involved and taking notes. I just wish the division of the community would come to peace if the two current pending cases would be heard. Typical, it's the COUNTY not wanting to go to court.

But the SCOTUS the ability to order busing, building of prisons, and affirm awards by lower courts, and, among other things, said income taxes were constitutional.

As far as who wants to go to court and who doesn't ... typically plaintiffs want to go to court and defendants don't.  So what else is new.

pubby

#64 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

I know that when I think of the Supreme Court of the USA, I also immediately think, huh, same thing as a county commissioner.

Supreme Court Judge...County Commissioner...Supreme Court Judge...County Commissioner...Supreme Court Judge...County Commissioner

Exactly the same thing.

• lowrider, watcher and mei lan like this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#65 Nice Green

Nice Green

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

I know that when I think of the Supreme Court of the USA, I also immediately think, huh, same thing as a county commissioner.

Supreme Court Judge...County Commissioner...Supreme Court Judge...County Commissioner...Supreme Court Judge...County Commissioner

Exactly the same thing.

My point is that even at the highest level of one branch of government, those people are appointed — unelected. To keep referring to the fact that an authority is unelected in an argument against its actions is ridiculous. Our governments are filled with boards and authorities whose members are appointed or automatically named a part of said group (i.e. a mayor getting a spot on a board).

And in my Supreme Court example, one does not even have to have ANY judicial experience in order to be named a justice. A president may not be likely to appoint someone without such experience, but they very well could and indeed have the ability to do so.

#66 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

My point is that even at the highest level of one branch of government, those people are appointed — unelected. To keep referring to the fact that an authority is unelected in an argument against its actions is ridiculous. Our governments are filled with boards and authorities whose members are appointed or automatically named a part of said group (i.e. a mayor getting a spot on a board).

And in my Supreme Court example, one does not even have to have ANY judicial experience in order to be named a justice. A president may not be likely to appoint someone without such experience, but they very well could and indeed have the ability to do so.

You forget one thing, they have to be "confirmed" by the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Pesky little thing there, approval by an elected body.  Yes, why yes they do. 

David Austin thinks he's king and needs no approval from anyone.  He just does as he pleases. 

• radiohead likes this

#67 Peaches

Peaches

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

You forget one thing, they have to be "confirmed" by the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Pesky little thing there, approval by an elected body.  Yes, why yes they do. 

David Austin thinks he's king and needs no approval from anyone.  He just does as he pleases. 

Not sure where you read that or who told you that, but it is not the way I learned it. The full senate approves the supreme court justices. That point he was making is that justices are not up for popular vote and the president gets to make the call. Same with who the chairman names to the authority. That's how it was explained to me. May be wrong.

• Nice Green likes this

#68 rockster

rockster

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:07 PM

Snap

Attached Thumbnails

• 12373239_10201073153148219_4088335985566441101_n.jpg

• Gone, WHITEY, mojo413 and 1 other like this

#69 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

Actually there is precedent for the chairman having the exclusive right to appoint members to the IBA.

First, The IBA was created in 1962. In 1962 there was but one elected county leader - called an ordinary.  He was in effect the county superintendent and that elected official was given the power to appoint specific members of the IBA ... and serve on the board along with the mayors and other named individuals.

Paulding did not get a three man board of commissioners until the 1980s and it wasn't expanded to five commissioners until 1998 (If memory serves.)

The law creating the IBA - by the legislature - has not been amended to give the remainder of the board the right to confirm, much less name the county's delegation on the IBA board.  By the letter of the law it remains lodged in the seat of the county commission chairman.

That the appointments were passed on by the entire board, typically as a consent, agenda item is and has been a custom.  By its very nature consent agenda items were never voted on but just accepted by the board.  Appointments typically fell under this per-forma activity.

When Todd and the two other 'insurgent' commissioners sought to bring the appointments to the general agenda for an up or down vote ... and when they sought to force the resignations of several of these same board members, they were arguably engineering a power grab from the traditional powers of the commissioner.

I'm really kind of surprised that the chairman didn't rebuke them further when they first brought up the notion they had a say at all.

I think the insurgents had best be making plans to have the IBA charter changed ... but good luck with that as the General Assembly tends to fail when it comes to deciding local issues by legislation... at least last year they ran for cover and ducked.

pubby

#70 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Everyone talks about bringing the people of this county back together and missing the old pcom.
Yet the delusional paranoid guy who owns and runs this site refers to a majority of the legally elected board of commissioners as, insurgents.

Way to help bring people together and run more patrons off.
  • SOLO and mojo413 like this

#71 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

They are insurgents, Stradial.   They are making a power grab on a board that has traditionally been a strong chairman form of government.

That said, it is you that it is turning it personal  Why don't you argue that the law, written in 1962, forsees the board of commissioners at five men and asserts that there is an advise and consent appointment procedure written into the law creating the county ... I don't believe there is but maybe there is some clause in the enabling legislation for the county that might infer that.

But no, you try to win by turning from a reasonable discussion into a personal attack.

... and blame it on me ...

Personally, I think it is because you don't have enough knowledge about the issue and make your decisions in order to conform to uninformed opinions of the crowd you run with.

pubby

#72 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

They are insurgents, Stradial.   They are making a power grab on a board that has traditionally been a strong chairman form of government.

That said, it is you that it is turning it personal  Why don't you argue that the law, written in 1962, forsees the board of commissioners at five men and asserts that there is an advise and consent appointment procedure written into the law creating the county ... I don't believe there is but maybe there is some clause in the enabling legislation for the county that might infer that.

But no, you try to win by turning from a reasonable discussion into a personal attack.

... and blame it on me ...

Personally, I think it is because you don't have enough knowledge about the issue and make your decisions in order to conform to uninformed opinions of the crowd you run with.

pubby

You are a liar, a hypocrite and either a paid shill or a coward.
  • WHITEY likes this

#73 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

Are you trying to bully me Stradial?  As far as lying, don't I remember you saying that you would never ever post here again?   What did you do, send your logon credentials to die hard?

pubby

#74 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

Are you trying to bully me Stradial?  As far as lying, don't I remember you saying that you would never ever post here again?   What did you do, send your logon credentials to die hard?

pubby

Nope.
Just calling a liar a liar.

Yeh, I did say that.
But then I see your out and out lies, things I heard from your own lips and yet you deny them.

What's wrong Pubby, you afraid that people will find out you are a liar and a coward?

#75 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

I'm just pointing out that every post you make makes you a liar and a hypocrite.

pubby

#76 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

pubby

Die hard, yeh, that was his name.
I defended you when he told me you were a liar and could be bought.
In fact, I defended you so much that he got mad at me and cut off communication with me.
Well I look pretty silly now, don't I?
Turns out he knew the real Pubby.

I'm just pointing out that every post you make makes you a liar and a hypocrite.

pubby

Pubby, I mean this sincerely, get professional help.
ETA, your post makes no sense

Edited by stradial, 12 December 2015 - 11:09 PM.

#77 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

Disagreeing with a person is not lying.

Asserting that I'm 'bought' is a statement without proof or evidence.

every post you make makes you a bigger liar than I since you declared to the world that you'd never post again.

pubby

#78 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

Disagreeing with a person is not lying.

Asserting that I'm 'bought' is a statement without proof or evidence.

every post you make makes you a bigger liar than I since you declared to the world that you'd never post again.

pubby

Seek professional help.

#79 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,546 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

Every post you make makes a bigger liar than I ever was.

pubby

#80 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

Every post you make makes a bigger liar than I ever was.

pubby

Seek professional help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BOC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics