Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
gpatt0n

Chairman claims appointment right on IBA; post commissioners divided

Disagreeing with a person is not lying.

Asserting that I'm 'bought' is a statement without proof or evidence.

every post you make makes you a bigger liar than I since you declared to the world that you'd never post again.

pubby

You know, pubby...Stradial sat in my office and defended you to me. He told me of the conversations he had with you, and how good of a person you were despite your crazy politics.

And then you turned on him. You started insulting him left and right. You repeatedly called him a racist, even though he assured you that he wasn't and asked you to stop. But you continued to call him and others (including me) a racist, because painting conservatives as racists is part of the Democratic strategy. It didn't matter that it wasn't true, it's what you do to tear down others.

You lost a friend because you put politics before people. Did a frienship not mean anything to you?

You are losing the membership of your once-great forum because you put politics before people. Do people not mean anything to you?

I agree with Stradial; you need to seek professional help. You need to reclaim your soul from the gods of politics.

• Like 4

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" - The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.

What you obviously did not hear is that I admit to harboring racist thoughts on occasion. It is a cultural thing that came from the time and place of my upbringing. I rebelled against the prevailing attitudes in the 60s but still recognize the depth of the acculturation that came from my growing up in the Jim Crow south of the 1950s and 60s.

Because I was sensitive to it at the time - particularly the subtleties and I've read on the subject - did you know that both black and white cops when put into simulators (academic studies) tend to pull the trigger quicker on an obviously 'digital' representation. We're talking judgements rendered tenths of a second quicker ... quick enough that the better judgement from determining that a 12 year old is holding a toy gun ends with a black child dead.

To me it is simply hypocritical for most white southerners to say they harbor no racial anomalies. The plain fact is that it will probably take 100-200 years for society - if it recognizes the subtleties of racism - to get to the promised land.

This doesn't mean that we've not made progress - great progress - but we're still a long way from an equal and just society in the USA and in the world. If you are blind to that then you lack what I consider a healthy dose of empathy.

pubby

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" - The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.

What you obviously did not hear is that I admit to harboring racist thoughts on occasion. It is a cultural thing that came from the time and place of my upbringing. I rebelled against the prevailing attitudes in the 60s but still recognize the depth of the acculturation that came from my growing up in the Jim Crow south of the 1950s and 60s.

Because I was sensitive to it at the time - particularly the subtleties and I've read on the subject - did you know that both black and white cops when put into simulators (academic studies) tend to pull the trigger quicker on an obviously 'digital' representation. We're talking judgements rendered tenths of a second quicker ... quick enough that the better judgement from determining that a 12 year old is holding a toy gun ends with a black child dead.

To me it is simply hypocritical for most white southerners to say they harbor no racial anomalies. The plain fact is that it will probably take 100-200 years for society - if it recognizes the subtleties of racism - to get to the promised land.

This doesn't mean that we've not made progress - great progress - but we're still a long way from an equal and just society in the USA and in the world. If you are blind to that then you lack what I consider a healthy dose of empathy.

pubby

Says the guy who tags the Scotch-Irish as generational stubborn, fight prone, backwards etc...

Why don't you go ahead and tell the rest of the world how you feel about the other "species" of human beings as you perceive them.

Start with Blacks, Jews, Native Americans, The Chinese, the French, ... hell pick any "species" that your "enlightened" intellect knows about and share it with the rest of the class. You bigot.

• Like 1

PCnative ... The information regarding Scots-Irish settlers of the Appalachian region whose history was as sheep herders comes from a Tufts University study that was published in a variety of media. As much as I would like to take credit for such work - I think a couple of Phd's got kudoos for their work in this publish or perish world - I can only cite the research and analysis as a source that seems to help explain why people do what they do here ... and do differently elsewhere.

I know it is a lot easier to look to the horoscope in the newspaper to explain things but I kind of think that is silly. Still there are things that motivate people to action and I believe one of our tasks to understand.

Know thyself as a bit of wisdom demands such effort. That idea goes back a long way and is a critical dictum of classic education. For instance Plato employed the maxim 'Know Thyself' extensively by having the character of Socrates use it to motivate his dialogues. Plato makes it clear that Socrates is referring to a long-established wisdom.

pubby

See

Says the guy who tags the Scotch-Irish as generational stubborn, fight prone, backwards etc...

Why don't you go ahead and tell the rest of the world how you feel about the other "species" of human beings as you perceive them.

Start with Blacks, Jews, Native Americans, The Chinese, the French, ... hell pick any "species" that your "enlightened" intellect knows about and share it with the rest of the class. You bigot.

PCnative ... The information regarding Scots-Irish settlers of the Appalachian region whose history was as sheep herders comes from a Tufts University study that was published in a variety of media. As much as I would like to take credit for such work - I think a couple of Phd's got kudoos for their work in this publish or perish world - I can only cite the research and analysis as a source that seems to help explain why people do what they do here ... and do differently elsewhere.

I know it is a lot easier to look to the horoscope in the newspaper to explain things but I kind of think that is silly. Still there are things that motivate people to action and I believe one of our tasks to understand.

Know thyself as a bit of wisdom demands such effort. That idea goes back a long way and is a critical dictum of classic education. For instance Plato employed the maxim 'Know Thyself' extensively by having the character of Socrates use it to motivate his dialogues. Plato makes it clear that Socrates is referring to a long-established wisdom.

pubby

See PC Native, you can't possibly know the wisdom Pubby spills forth on this page, you are not worthy. Especially if you really are a PC Native, it automatically makes you lesser class and quite dumb. (yes I'm being sarcastic)

WTG GPH, you've mastered the "I'm better than you", meme. :D

Tundra:

If PCnative wasn't worthy, I wouldn't have posted. Hell, I wouldn't have started the site in the first place.

Tell you what Tundra, why don't you stop trying to tell other folks what I think because you don't have a clue.

pubby

pubby

"A man's gotta know his limitations..."- John Wayne

You exceedingly surpass your limitations.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this "study"? Insert another minority groups name in the place of the Scots- Irish and you and your left leaning comrades would have banned them from campus and been so butthurt that you would have had endless protests.

"Some folks are educated beyond their mental capacity..." unknown- but wiser than most

Being primarily of Scots Irish descent and growing up in a place adjacent to the location these authors described as Appalachian region - I grew up in the Old South - I had always wondered why those in the mountains in Georgia and the Ozarks in Arkansas and even the entire place we now call West Virginia, chose to align with the Union in the Civil War.

The individualism and culture that is dominant (not universal) in the Appalachian cultural region seemed to address that question and lent credibility, in my mind, to the thesis of the authors.

It also helps explain some of the other history such as the feud of the Hatfields and McCoys and even the vindictiveness of some of the folks around here.

We all know, for instance, that child molestation or even brutality aimed at children, is often a family affair. Culturally similar things happen.

You can say and think what ever you wish but I find your analysis of education and its benefits a little quaint. We all live our lives the way we choose. Certainly there is much happiness to be found in less academic pursuits as captured by that eternal truism - Ignorance is bliss.

pubby

pubby

Obviously I wasn't the only one that took what you said as an insult to Southerners and "uneducated folks". "Know thyself", have you ever participated in a self assessment? Perhaps you need to.

Oh and for the record, how much "formal" education did our first President, George Washington, have?

Edited by tundra
  • Like 1

Being primarily of Scots Irish descent and growing up in a place adjacent to the location these authors described as Appalachian region - I grew up in the Old South - I had always wondered why those in the mountains in Georgia and the Ozarks in Arkansas and even the entire place we now call West Virginia, chose to align with the Union in the Civil War.

The individualism and culture that is dominant (not universal) in the Appalachian cultural region seemed to address that question and lent credibility, in my mind, to the thesis of the authors.

It also helps explain some of the other history such as the feud of the Hatfields and McCoys and even the vindictiveness of some of the folks around here.

We all know, for instance, that child molestation or even brutality aimed at children, is often a family affair. Culturally similar things happen.

You can say and think what ever you wish but I find your analysis of education and its benefits a little quaint. We all live our lives the way we choose. Certainly there is much happiness to be found in less academic pursuits as captured by that eternal truism - Ignorance is bliss.

pubby

WTF are you talking about?

Edited by stradial

It is called Enculturation although you probably know it as socialization.

Enculturation is the process where the culture that is currently established teaches an individual the accepted norms and values of the culture or society where the individual lives. The individual can become an accepted member and fulfill the needed functions and roles of the group. Most importantly the individual knows and establishes a context of boundaries and accepted behavior that dictates what is acceptable and not acceptable within the framework of that society. It teaches the individual their role within society as well as what is accepted behavior within that society and lifestyle.

Obviously, we were enculturated in different places and times by different parents and hence our values and norms vary.

Hope that helps :)

It is called Enculturation although you probably know it as socialization.

Obviously, we were enculturated in different places and times by different parents and hence our values and norms vary.

Hope that helps :)

It's called transferance.

Transference is a phenomenon characterized by unconscious redirection of feelings from one person to another.

You really need to quit putting your white guilt and your emotional and mental issues on the rest of society.

Hope that helps.

Edited by stradial
  • Like 1

Considering that their are still some people that have yet to get over the South losing the Civil War I'm going to say their maybe some validity to your theory.

Honkey, please!!

:rofl:

Not sure where you read that or who told you that, but it is not the way I learned it. The full senate approves the supreme court justices. That point he was making is that justices are not up for popular vote and the president gets to make the call. Same with who the chairman names to the authority. That's how it was explained to me. May be wrong.

My point being if the senate doesn't approve them they don't get appointed. The people that get to do the approving are indeed elected officials, representing the people. The President doesn't get to make the call, he can only make the suggestion. Checks and balances.

"Twenty-nine nominees (including one nominated for promotion) have been unsuccessful on at least the first try." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsuccessful_nominations_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States

They are insurgents, Stradial. They are making a power grab on a board that has traditionally been a strong chairman form of government.

That said, it is you that it is turning it personal Why don't you argue that the law, written in 1962, forsees the board of commissioners at five men and asserts that there is an advise and consent appointment procedure written into the law creating the county ... I don't believe there is but maybe there is some clause in the enabling legislation for the county that might infer that.

But no, you try to win by turning from a reasonable discussion into a personal attack.

... and blame it on me ...

Personally, I think it is because you don't have enough knowledge about the issue and make your decisions in order to conform to uninformed opinions of the crowd you run with.

pubby

Insurgents.............I've heard that before. Yes, why yes, it happened in Boston because of TAXATION without REPRESENTATION. Then we fought for our independence from a government that didn't care about it's citizens. Silly people thinking they should be represented by someone that collects their hard earned money.

My point being if the senate doesn't approve them they don't get appointed. The people that get to do the approving are indeed elected officials, representing the people. The President doesn't get to make the call, he can only make the suggestion. Checks and balances.

"Twenty-nine nominees (including one nominated for promotion) have been unsuccessful on at least the first try." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsuccessful_nominations_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States

Insurgents.............I've heard that before. Yes, why yes, it happened in Boston because of TAXATION without REPRESENTATION. Then we fought for our independence from a government that didn't care about it's citizens. Silly people thinking they should be represented by someone that collects their hard earned money.

The issue in the revolutionary war was taxation WITHOUT REPRESENTATION. They petitioned the crown for representation but were rebuked and the house of commons continued levying taxes.

The whole idea of modern representative democracies is that process is established and adhered to. If you want to change the process, you don't just declare that the process is changed.

I'm afraid Todd's effort to grab power by trying to turn a consent agenda item into a formal requirement to approve the Chairman's appointees will end in defeat.

Regardless of Todd's assertion of rights that don't exist in law, your political support for his position doesn't make any difference at all, tundra.

This whole thing, where you assert you are right and then assert that others are wrong all based on your belief that you are always right. Makes no sense.

pubby

This whole thing, where you assert you are right and then assert that others are wrong all based on your belief that you are always right. Makes no sense.

pubby

Well, hell. It works for Obama.

• Like 3

Not sure how a duly elected, not once, but twice, public servant can be called an insurgent?

You remember elections, don't ya Pubby?

That is where the citizens of a selected area, vote (or in effect, voice by ballot) what individual they like, agree with and think will make a good leader of that selected community.

I'm sure you remember what elections are.

That is where over 70% of the people who voted in the Democrat primary said they didn't like, agree with or think you would make a good leader.

So perhaps your thinking that the person, that the community did say they liked, agreed with and thought would make a good leader of that selected community, is an insurgent, is just another example of what the majority of people found they didn't like about you.

Just trying to help.

• Like 3

The issue in the revolutionary war was taxation WITHOUT REPRESENTATION. They petitioned the crown for representation but were rebuked and the house of commons continued levying taxes.

The whole idea of modern representative democracies is that process is established and adhered to. If you want to change the process, you don't just declare that the process is changed.

I'm afraid Todd's effort to grab power by trying to turn a consent agenda item into a formal requirement to approve the Chairman's appointees will end in defeat.

Regardless of Todd's assertion of rights that don't exist in law, your political support for his position doesn't make any difference at all, tundra.

pubby

Get over having your arse handed to you in the primary. Nor, you can't deny a couple of years ago it basically was a rubber stamp commission.

pubby

And there you have it!! The airport authority (PCAA) has the ability to obtain bonds that indeed will raise our taxes, Pubby and Chairman Austin think it's a courtesy to allow the post commissioners that represent their district to have a say in who gets appointed. If you think this is not taxation without representation, I guess you missed the whole point of the Boston Tea Party.

Todd Pownall has always tried to do what his constituents want. He actually goes out and talks to them. 74% of the people in Post 2 DO NOT want a commercial airport with scheduled passenger service. See, that's why Todd keeps winning elections. Oh and believe you me, getting that 1962 and 1972 legislation changed is a priority for many in Post 2. In the meantime, we will continue to point out only Austin has decided to withdraw the "courtesy" extended by other commissioners.

Moving a consent agenda item to new business is not something new, it happens all the time. I've attended many BOC meetings where that has happened. You notice the chairman didn't offer any resistance, because that's how it's supposed to be done. He tired to slide it in hoping it wouldn't be noticed. (hahahaha)

I will continue to support any candidate that puts the voters first. We are a representative "REPUBLIC", not a representative democracy.

The more things change, the more things remain the same. David Austin's father was the Chairman of the Paulding County Democratic Party, David was a Democrat himself for many years, no wonder Pubby thinks Austin's way of doing things is more than acceptable.

Edited by tundra
  • Like 2

Not sure how a duly elected, not once, but twice, public servant can be called an insurgent?

You remember elections, don't ya Pubby?

That is where the citizens of a selected area, vote (or in effect, voice by ballot) what individual they like, agree with and think will make a good leader of that selected community.

I'm sure you remember what elections are.

That is where over 70% of the people who voted in the Democrat primary said they didn't like, agree with or think you would make a good leader.

So perhaps your thinking that the person, that the community did say they liked, agreed with and thought would make a good leader of that selected community, is an insurgent, is just another example of what the majority of people found they didn't like about you.

Just trying to help.

Because Paulding's commission form of government is a strong-chairman form. The chairman has traditionally been the leader. Post commissioners seeking to ursurp the powers reserved to the chairman are by definition insurgents.

Why do you try to personalize the discussion?

Get over having your arse handed to you in the primary. Nor, you can't deny a couple of years ago it basically was a rubber stamp commission.

No, it was a strong chairman form of government. The post commissioners have not been particularly powerful and it was rare for them to butt heads, much less, obstruct the efforts of the chairman. The only time that really happened before was when there was suspicion of direct corruption as in bid rigging and bribes.

And there you have it!! The airport authority (PCAA) has the ability to obtain bonds that indeed will raise our taxes, Pubby and Chairman Austin think it's a courtesy to allow the post commissioners that represent their district to have a say in who gets appointed. If you think this is not taxation without representation, I guess you missed the whole point of the Boston Tea Party.

Todd Pownall has always tried to do what his constituents want. He actually goes out and talks to them. 74% of the people in Post 2 DO NOT want a commercial airport with scheduled passenger service. See, that's why Todd keeps winning elections. Oh and believe you me, getting that 1962 and 1972 legislation changed is a priority for many in Post 2. In the meantime, we will continue to point out only Austin has decided to withdraw the "courtesy" extended by other commissioners.

Moving a consent agenda item to new business is not something new, it happens all the time. I've attended many BOC meetings where that has happened. You notice the chairman didn't offer any resistance, because that's how it's supposed to be done. He tired to slide it in hoping it wouldn't be noticed. (hahahaha)

I will continue to support any candidate that puts the voters first. We are a representative "REPUBLIC", not a representative democracy.

The more things change, the more things remain the same. David Austin's father was the Chairman of the Paulding County Democratic Party, David was a Democrat himself for many years, no wonder Pubby thinks Austin's way of doing things is more than acceptable.

The commission chairman - at one time not too long ago a sole commissioner - is also an elected official and is the representative of all the people. I know you plan to work hard for the election of a person you choose as do others working for the election of the person they choose.

I do like your characterization of courtesy but it hardly fits the circumstances... or my definition.

I would have assumed that David Austin's parents were Democrats and community leaders. In those days, most community leaders in Georgia were. In those days ... even up through Zell Miller ... Democrats were typically more conservative than Republicans ... but I also wonder why you try to make this 'personal'.

pubby

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.