Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
efhutton

Size of Atlanta's Property in Paulding County

FACT: The City of Atlanta released an RFP in June 2015 for "ON-CALL COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE CONSULTANT SERVICES" for the "...creation and implementation of a DAP (Development Action Plan) for various airport-owned land tracts including....9,400± acres of land in Paulding County."

Question: Do you understand the size of 9,400+/- acres of land?

Answer: 14.68 Square Miles. To put that in perspective it's double the size of Dallas and Hiram combined. If developed and incorporated it would become the 44th largest city in GA just ahead of Griffin and others like...Villa Rica, Statesboro, Dunwoody, Lawrenceville, Woodstock, Kennesaw and Acworth. You get the picture...its HUGE!!!

Folks change is coming.

That's a shame. I have walked all of that land at one time or another and it really is a beautiful example of an upper Piedmont ecosystem. Not suitable for a lot of building as it is hilly and very rocky. Thats's the main reason its still undeveloped. But I guess with enough money you can make chicken salad out of chicken sh$#.

• Like 1

Calm down. They have owned that land for decades.

Getting excited now will not stop anything. It's for sure Paulding County does not have the funds to buy back any of that property.

Developing any part of it would have to be beneficial to them to regain the expense. (remarkable concept, maybe Paulding can learn from that)

Lack of access had been a deterrent to it's development for a long time. They may gain access through the section of the old railroad that was not donated for The Silver Comet Trail.

You may want to look into that.

It seems it has been mentioned here before.

Rapid rail could be a traffic solution.

FACT: The City of Atlanta released an RFP in June 2015 for "ON-CALL COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE CONSULTANT SERVICES" for the "...creation and implementation of a DAP (Development Action Plan) for various airport-owned land tracts including....9,400± acres of land in Paulding County."

Question: Do you understand the size of 9,400+/- acres of land?

Answer: 14.68 Square Miles. To put that in perspective it's double the size of Dallas and Hiram combined. If developed and incorporated it would become the 44th largest city in GA just ahead of Griffin and others like...Villa Rica, Statesboro, Dunwoody, Lawrenceville, Woodstock, Kennesaw and Acworth. You get the picture...its HUGE!!!

Folks change is coming.

:sigh:

The only thing that is for sure in this world is that change will happen.

(for those that say death and taxes are the only sure things, you don't have to pay taxes, you can go and sit in the prison and death is change...from living, to not living)

The question is not whether change is coming, the question is, what kind of change is coming.

People may not like this, but one reason I don't care if the airport goes commercial is because by the time it gets so big, if it succeeds and does get big, as to cause all the problems that Whitey and others say it will cause, I won't even be around to see them or if I am, I will be so old that they won't affect me much anyway.

But what about my kid and other people's kids?

I guess they will just have to decide if they want to stay or go.

Look, this same thing, change that is, happened in Cobb county and many people left the county because of how it had changed, in fact, many moved here.

The same thing happened in Gwinnett county with the same results.

Ditto Cherokee county and Forsyth county.

Do I think a successful commercial airport is the answer to Paulding's problems, not by a long shot.

Do I think that a successful commercial airport will change Paulding county, more than likely, although for the better or for the worse would depend on who you ask and how they have been affected by it.

Do I think that a failed commercial airport can hurt Paulding county, there is a decent chance it could.

Can Paulding county bring in jobs and grow without a commercial airport?

Abso(blanking)lutely!!

Who has ever been to Douglas, GA?

Know where Douglas, GA is? It is in the middle of nowhere S. GA.

It is about 50 miles from I-75, all on two lane roads with small towns along the way.

It is about 70 miles from I-16, all on two lane roads with small towns along the way.

(the two closest interstates)

Know what is in Douglas, GA?

One of Walmart's biggest distribution centers in GA.

Guess what is in Cartersville, GA, just about a mile up Hwy 61 after you make the right turn at the airport?

The warehouse and manufacturing plant for the company that supplies tires and wheels to the two largest manufactures of golf carts in the world, EZ-GO and Club Car.

Not to mention their business with some of the worlds largest manufactures of lawn mowing equipment.

While they may be a few miles closer to I-75, their trucks have to go through downtown Cartersville, then go south on I-75 to I-285 and go around the top end to get to I-20 to go to Augusta, where EZ-Go and Club Car are located.

Would they have located in Paulding county instead of Bartow?

Sure they would have, had there been a facility that could have handled their manufacturing and office people.

One thing that I am sick of hearing about is, driving to other counties to work.

The majority people in the metro Atlanta area, regardless of what county they live in, drive to other counties to work.

That is why Atlanta always is in the top 5 in the country for worker commutes.

That is simply life in the big city.

And guess what?

When Paulding changes and grows, with or without a commercial airport, those who live in Paulding now and like living away from the traffic and the concrete and steel, will have an even farther commute, because they will be moving to Polk or other counties away from the "growth".

I saw it in Cobb, I saw it in Cherokee, Gwinette, Cowetta, Clayton and many other metro ATL counties.

Like I said, that is life in the big city.

Edited by stradial
  • Like 2

Cousins already has a stake in that 9400 acres. They have first right of refusal along with some other folks if Atlanta wants to sell it.

I don't understand why folks are playing this game again, please get your facts straight before you start running your fingers, filling people with crazy information.

When they built this airport we were assured it would keep Atlanta from developing that 9400 acres into an airport. Then we were told we had to do this so they couldn't put a land fill in there, the city was running out of room to dump it's trash.

People wake up, the powers that be will lie to you to further their agenda...............there is no way the PCAA or Propeller will be able to limit the flights to 2 a week, 8 a week or 25 a week. If the airport gets commercial certification, there is no going back and we have to allow every single passenger carrier that might want to use it the space and a gate. True story.........

Look up Love Field and how they were told by the FAA to make room for Delta........look up what happened to Meigs Field in Chicago, the FAA would not let them close it even though every penny had been paid back. Macon doesn't have a carrier, Athens doesn't have a carrier. What's going to happen if Allegiant walks away because they can't generate enough passengers. Too many if's and too much taxpayer liability for me to be comfortable.

The article in today's AJC stated that the City of Atlanta had canceled the RFP for the development of the Paulding land and that Atlanta is going to sit on the land for the time being to see what the future brings. The airport's general manager said . “Anything that’s done with that land has to be something that preserves the natural beauty of that land…. ". It appears the City of Atlanta cares more about the citizens of Paulding than the Paulding Airport Authority and our own BOC Chairman, who only see Dollar Signs.

Edited by pcfanatic
  • Like 8

The article in today's AJC stated that the City of Atlanta had canceled the RFP for the development of the Paulding land and that Atlanta is going to sit on the land for the time being to see what the future brings. The airport's general manager said . “Anything that’s done with that land has to be something that preserves the natural beauty of that land…. ". It appears the City of Atlanta cares more about the citizens of Paulding than the Paulding Airport Authority and our own BOC Chairman, who only see Dollar Signs.

WOW... And I've been told for over 2 years the City of Atlanta and Delta are our enemies?

• Like 2

Whom ever said you can fool some of the people all the time sure had it right.

Consider that the status of the lawsuit and strategies in targeting the Environmental Assessment would become completely worthless if they proposed the previously threatened landfill or some other intensive use.

Put it this way, I won't believe they intend to leave the 9400 acres undisturbed until they legally divest it to some conservation group. The WMA designation is revocable and it has been threatened before. Besides if the city of Atlanta were dedicated to the environment, why didn't they withdraw the Dawson County property from its WMA ... and are proceeding with assessing potential uses.

Oh, it is equally true that you can't fool all the people all the time ... and these folks haven't fooled me :) I really wish the sycophants weren't so gullible ... of course they may not be so gullible.

pubby

And whomever said that some people are just plain fools, sure had it right.

"They are lying. They are lying."

Really?

Do you have proof?

"No. But you can't fool me."

I guess you can't fool a fool.

• Like 2

:) I really wish the sycophants weren't so gullible ... of course they may not be so gullible.

pubby

If they would get up off their knees from in front of chairman and quit slurping is kool aid,they could get some fresh air and look around at the destruction the airport has already caused and help the rest of us stop it.

• Like 2

Consider that the status of the lawsuit and strategies in targeting the Environmental Assessment would become completely worthless if they proposed the previously threatened landfill or some other intensive use.

Put it this way, I won't believe they intend to leave the 9400 acres undisturbed until they legally divest it to some conservation group. The WMA designation is revocable and it has been threatened before. Besides if the city of Atlanta were dedicated to the environment, why didn't they withdraw the Dawson County property from its WMA ... and are proceeding with assessing potential uses.

Oh, it is equally true that you can't fool all the people all the time ... and these folks haven't fooled me :) I really wish the sycophants weren't so gullible ... of course they may not be so gullible.

pubby

Consider you can not deny that a bunch of folks, being taxpayers and voting citizens of the County, started looking into some things when got notice of things happening at the Airport and had not been publicly known. Consider ALOT of stuff has surfaced through open records request, beyond the airport issues. Consider the leadership of the County should realize this has divided the community and go to be heard in Court. The community will have to accept any and all legal decisions set by the Court.

• Like 1

I guess Pubby missed the memo about how Atlanta wants to deal with that property. They have a plan,let's see if he can find it. :D

• Like 2

I just can't understand Pubby's failure to cover this mess as a self proclaimed journalist. Figured he would've been all over but, then again, just the votes kept him down. But bottom line as a business owner of a local media site figured he would capitalize on local issues

Edited by rockster
  • Like 2

I just can't understand Pubby's failure to cover this mess as a self proclaimed journalist. Figured he would've been all over but, then again, just the votes kept him down. But bottom line as a business owner of a local media site figured he would capitalize on local issues

Because he is part of the slurping sycophants

pubby

Let's see. My opinion can be swayed by the words of the leader of the world's biggest airport, who just happens to lead a highly successful organization who just happens to be our state's biggest economic engine, who also represents an organization who holds 9,400 acres in our community.

OR my opinion can be swayed by Pubby.

I think it's time you take Whitey up on his offer of a personal tour of Riverdale which I want to go with you. Then I'm going to treat you to a personalized tour of Atlanta's 9,400 Paulding acres.

When we bring you back to your truck be ready for my departing question... THINK MAYBE THE HJA CREW WENT ON THE SAME TOUR YOU DID TODAY? (I know they did, I remember the picture of their bus on Facebook, amazingly the Support Group took it down, I'm guessing they realized what HJA was really doing out here).

• Like 2

If you think Atlanta wants to preserve that land, your fooled. Their land is adjacent to the Paulding County Airport. Why do you think they want Pauldings Airport Closed.

They can not put an airport next to the one already there so getting ours shut down gives them open doors to move in with the bigger airport they have always wanted to put in Paulding. Why else do they own 9000 acres here.

What the previous Commissioners done was save Paulding from Atlanta putting in their bigger hub airport.

You get our small one closed mark it down Atlanta and Delta will be here with a bigger one.

If you think Atlanta wants to preserve that land, your fooled. Their land is adjacent to the Paulding County Airport. Why do you think they want Pauldings Airport Closed.

They can not put an airport next to the one already there so getting ours shut down gives them open doors to move in with the bigger airport they have always wanted to put in Paulding. Why else do they own 9000 acres here.

What the previous Commissioners done was save Paulding from Atlanta putting in their bigger hub airport.

You get our small one closed mark it down Atlanta and Delta will be here with a bigger one.

Who says they want it closed, they just don't want a 139. It still stops them from building a airport as

a general aviation airport.

• Like 2

nana, you should do your homework. Those of us that have lived here for any length of time know the city of Atlanta purchased that property as a "favor" to a friend(s), during a down time. Not an unusual move in the realm of politics. Sure they explored the possibility of putting an airport here. Why wouldn't they? But every single study since has determined Paulding is "not a feasible site" for a second "hub". If they wanted to put an airport here, it would have already been here. Again, someone is using "scare tactics" to have you believe something that is absolutely not the truth.

If 139 should somehow get granted, it would be a piece of cake for Atlanta to move in and annex that airport to the other 9400 acres they own. Propeller is NOT in this to run an airport, they are only here to make money, period. Not to mention Delta can come and go at that airport when they want and NO one will stop them. The FAA says they have to. Love Field in Dallas confirms this. I'm sure there are hundreds more examples.

Now, I'm thinking Atlanta has done a few more studies, has explored this many times and really has no desire to put an airport here or it would have already been done. They've had over 40 years, they're probably a little smarter than our previous elected officials and those that sit on the PCAA. Just sayin'.

Yes, no one wants this airport closed. It just needs someone that knows what they are doing to run a profitable General Aviation airport, like McCollum and Cartersville and Rome and Carrollton, you know those that have airport managers that know what they are doing.

Edited by tundra

I know that 3 of the above airports do have some form of passenger service. My question is are they 139 ???

No they do not have a 139 certification. They have charter service but not scheduled passenger service. The planes are below 30 passengers, perfect for sports teams. The international terminal is for corporate jets for executives flying in from the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, etc. The FBO operator actually paid for the new control tower. I guess his business has been profitable for him as well.

I would love to have all this at our airport, McCollum is dong a great job!! Cartersville is rocking and rolling, too. It's happening all around us, yet just like our Film Studio, our airport is dead.

Edited by tundra
  • Like 1