Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
dawneykids

I'm denouncing the Speed Queen brand.......

As many of you know, I researched and researched and finally bought a SQ washer and dryer less than three years ago. It started out great but the washer motor burned out after 18 months and the heating element and thermostat went out twice on the dryer. All was fixed under warranty but because of an electrical problem with the last part replacement in March, the dryer caught fire and burned the downstairs of our relatively new house that we worked on for a solid month. All he work we did is now out in the driveway as of Saturday when we were displaced from our home.

Fires are scary. Ins adjusters are scary. Fire investigators are scary. And having a million people tromping in and out of your house for clean up, estimates, taking every fabric thing we own for cleaning, seeing our burned things out in the rain.....it's all a lot to take in.

Optimistically, we'll be in a hotel for 5 weeks, but the ins company is saying 8 weeks. The ins company has been great, by the way, Thank you CapedCrusader for such a great policy.

I do realize that the most important thing is that we are all safe, but it's still nerve wracking and upsetting.

We have soot and smoke damage upstairs, but everything is still intact. Hopefully a good cleaning by professional restorers will take care of that.

The investigator is 99% sure of the cause and so there are no worries there, but GEEEEZZZZ.

SPEED QUEEN can suck it and I'm going to make sure everyone I know never invests in this fire hazard.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear about a fire. And yes, it is scary.

I know how hard y'all have worked on this house and I'm sorry to hear about the damage and displacement.

Is there anyway to prove and sue Speed Queen, I assure you, I would if I could.

Good luck and hotels suck after a week. Hopefully you'll get back in your home sooner than later.

• Like 1

oh man that sucks!

So sorry to hear about the fire.

Hope it all gets cleaned up very soon and you are able to get back to "normal".

best wishes to you and yours!

I have never heard of this brand and looked it up, they are expensive. They sure dont build appliances look they used to. An appliance repair man said you are good if you can get more than 7-8 years out of a washer/dryer or refrigerator these days.

I have never heard of this brand and looked it up, they are expensive. They sure dont build appliances look they used to. An appliance repair man said you are good if you can get more than 7-8 years out of a washer/dryer or refrigerator these days.

I agree

I stand by Whirlpool. The set I've got is about 12 years old. Had Whirlpool before that for about 12 years.

And I agree nothing is built to last anymore. I dread it when I have to get another set.

The best set I ever had was real Kenmore and the set must have lasted 20 years.

• Like 2

I do not like the ones that they make now. they are more transmission droven then the old style.

So sorry to hear about the fire, but glad you made it out safe. And when we bought our fridge from Lowe's last year the sales assoc. was up front and told us it would probably only last 7 years. Pathetic.

I bought a USED Whirlpool set in the early 80s that I got almost 20 years out of myself. No, they don't make anything like they used to.

I imagine if there is a good chance of recovering anything from the manufacturer, the insurance company will be all over that.

I hate that you are having to deal with this. A house fire is one of those things you have to experience in order to understand how traumatizing it can be.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and I'm very glad to hear everyone is safe!!

Thank you for the warning as we were at one time considering the Speed Queen brand.

We will NOT consider them any longer.

Wow, how awful momof3. I'm so glad you're all okay but what a shame that you have to go through this. I hope you can get back to some kind of normalcy sooner than later.

• Like 1

I had a speed queen washer... actually worked pretty well. The ex-wife ended up keeping it. I have an old kenmore now, it works okay but the spin cycle doesnt work too well, luckily i have a spin dryer so its no biggy.

OH, NO!!! I'm just now seeing this, but geez...how awful!!! I am so sorry...what you are going through is miserable. If I were there, I'd give you a big ol' hug. DANG. Just dang. :(

• Like 1

Please have your dryer vent checked and replaced if needed. I think there's a very stong possibility it's restricted and could have had lint build up in it.

UGH. I'm so sorry. I have a Kenmore set that I've had since the 90's and it still works great, despite a little squeaking from the dryer (knock on wood). I'm so scared of when it dies.

We had a house fire in 1997 from a lightening strike to the attic. It burned most of our split level home down. It is miserable tromping through piles of black, sooty, wet, smelly piles of your belongings and seeing everything ruined. I KNOW the feeling. We were fortunate to live in a rental house while they rebuilt our home. Make sure that you get the same quality of stuff that you had in the first place. They gave us cheaper carpet, cheaper everything. Just know that you DO recover from it and things will get better.

• Like 2

UGH. I'm so sorry. I have a Kenmore set that I've had since the 90's and it still works great, despite a little squeaking from the dryer (knock on wood). I'm so scared of when it dies.

We had a house fire in 1997 from a lightening strike to the attic. It burned most of our split level home down. It is miserable tromping through piles of black, sooty, wet, smelly piles of your belongings and seeing everything ruined. I KNOW the feeling. We were fortunate to live in a rental house while they rebuilt our home. Make sure that you get the same quality of stuff that you had in the first place. They gave us cheaper carpet, cheaper everything. Just know that you DO recover from it and things will get better.

RE: same quality - that depends on what kind of insurance you have. I forget the terms (Caped Crusader could tell us) but one replaces what you lost at its original value, and one replaces what you lost at today's value. I have the today's value one.

Also, nothing to do with this discussion, but if you add on/renovate, you need to make sure you update your coverage as well. I remember a LOT of people in the wake of Hurricane Katrina who weren't paid for much of the value of their homes because they had added on or whatever, but hadn't updated their coverage.

• Like 2

RE: same quality - that depends on what kind of insurance you have. I forget the terms (Caped Crusader could tell us) but one replaces what you lost at its original value, and one replaces what you lost at today's value. I have the today's value one.

Also, nothing to do with this discussion, but if you add on/renovate, you need to make sure you update your coverage as well. I remember a LOT of people in the wake of Hurricane Katrina who weren't paid for much of the value of their homes because they had added on or whatever, but hadn't updated their coverage.

The house was actually my parents' so I have no idea what type of coverage they had. But that is good information to know. Also... never purchase the tallest house in the neighborhood. We learned the hard way. That is the house most likely to get hit during a lightning storm. We found out during the fire from one of the neighbors that our house had been hit before, although there was no damage in that case. The house that we just bought is a small ranch surrounded by much larger, taller 2-story homes, and I am perfectly okay with that! LOL

The house was actually my parents' so I have no idea what type of coverage they had. But that is good information to know. Also... never purchase the tallest house in the neighborhood. We learned the hard way. That is the house most likely to get hit during a lightning storm. We found out during the fire from one of the neighbors that our house had been hit before, although there was no damage in that case. The house that we just bought is a small ranch surrounded by much larger, taller 2-story homes, and I am perfectly okay with that! LOL

I didn't know that, but good advice! ;)

• Like 1

OH, NO!!! I'm just now seeing this, but geez...how awful!!! I am so sorry...what you are going through is miserable. If I were there, I'd give you a big ol' hug. DANG. Just dang. :(

If you were here, I'd take that big hug!!!

Please have your dryer vent checked and replaced if needed. I think there's a very stong possibility it's restricted and could have had lint build up in it.

Nope, it wasn't the dryer vent or a lint fire. The fire investigator took all the vent pipe and it was completely clear and they dryer had no excess lint. He siad it was the heating element.

Luckily, we have full replacement coverage thanks to CC.

Hallelujah on the coverage!!! CC did you good. I'm just so sorry you're having to go through this. And after all that researching and hunting for the right washer/dryer, too. Dang it!!!

:cray: