2 replies to this topic

#1 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:28 AM

On the desert mesa of New Mexico, miles from the nearest town of Taos (pop. 5,700), Star-Wars-like shelters rise from the earth, half-buried and covered in adobe. Called “Earthships” - brainchild of architect Mike Reynolds in the 1970s- they’re nearly completely self-sufficient homes: no electrical grid, no water lines, no sewer.

The Greater World Earthship Community, about 70 passive solar homes built from earth and trash on 633 acres, had a rough start; they were shut down as an illegal subdivision in 1997 and it took them 7 years to come to compliance. Though today, the county fully cooperates with Reynolds and his Earthship Biotecture operation to turn trash (tires, cans, glass bottles) into shelters and has even given them 2 acres to experiment with housing in anyway they like (they also provide their recycling).

Sixteen years ago, Tom Duke had just finished over a decade on the pro volleyball circuit when he bought a bit of land here with his wife and began to build a tiny Earthship the size of a storage shed. When their first son was born they built their dream house on the property, a two bedroom that, like other Earthships, collects rainwater, uses its water four times (the plants in the indoor greenhouse filter the greywater) and even processes its own sewage.

In this video, Tom takes us on a tour of his home, his original “Earthship survival pod”, the “nest” ($50,000 studio apartment), the “Simple Survival Earthship” (aimed mainly at the developing world), a custom home designed to feed a family of four (including a tilapia pond in the greenhouse) and the “BMW of Earthships”, the “Global" (aimed at the typical American family).

Earthship Biotecture: earthship.com

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

#2 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

Been here many times, my father in law's Taos house is about 5 miles or so from the Earthships.

I have a gun, bag, shovel & 10 acres. No one will miss you.

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
You must have been out your mind

#3 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

Been here many times, my father in law's Taos house is about 5 miles or so from the Earthships.

Hey, chickie!  Ain't seen you in awhile.  :friends:

New Mexico (including Taos) is one of my favorite places on earth.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics