Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
WHITEY

THE REAL FACTS ABOUT THE AIRPORT

Paulding County Citizens,

I spent the past couple of hours reading the various post on the support airport Facebook page, and a few things became quite apparent.

First, almost a majority of the folks on that page who are belittling the citizens of this county do not live in this county, nor do they pay property taxes in this county. And most of all they do not have a vote in this county as to who will be representing the citizens of this county. Therefore their bitches, gripes, complaints, etc. are unfounded and will have no bearing as to whether the airport will be a commercial airport or a General Aviation.

Moreover, since they have not had access to all the events that surround the airport, they have formed a bias opinion based simply on what has been spoon fed to them on the support Facebook page, and some have worked themselves in to frenzy to the point of really using some abusive and misguided comments toward fellow citizens of our County.

The Stop Airport Expansion Group has held three meetings in Paulding County, sort of informational type/town hall meeting type in which facts were laid out in easy to understand formats, along with elected officials (Commissioners) who answered questions from those present and were even broadcasted live .

At the anti-airport “Meet the Candidates” meeting prior to the election, all candidates for the upcoming election were invited to attend and were given ample time to talk with the citizens present both during the meeting and after. All but one candidate (pro-airport) candidate attended and he was soundly defeated. Three other pro-airport candidates were also soundly defeated in landslide fashion. One candidate even defeated two challengers without a run off!!! Another commissioner was elected by the highest vote total EVER amassed by a commissioner that I know of in the past twelve years. So, that certainly is not what you have been led to believe now is it???

I am amazed at some of the folks that are spewing out misinformation. People who I consider friends, a well-educated person who works as a Paralegal in a well-respected law firm here in the county, and others who have various different businesses in this county, who have allowed their names to be placed on full page ads supporting something that a majority of the citizens have NEVER supported in this county and never will.

The anti-airport group has urged the leadership of this county from day one to hold town hall type meetings, then have a vote and let the citizens decide if they want a commercial airport or a General Aviation airport, yet we have been rebuked at every turn, because a small group of elected and appointed folks (less than ten) are determined to cram this down the throats of the citizens.

Folks, here is the cold hard facts and if you doubt this attend the August 11, 2015 Board of Commissioners meeting. David Austin has proposed to collect another $6,000,000 from the citizens of Paulding County through the increase of the tax digest and property reevaluations over and above last year. In addition, Chairman Austin has proposed AGAIN THIS YEAR to use the reserve fund to balance the budget by using millions to pay for capital improvements and equipment that is proposed in this year’s budget, which should be budgeted and paid for out of the General fund.

If this continues we will see our credit worthiness plunge, and we will be required to pay higher bond rates to secure money for any major project.

Millions of dollars have been poured into the airport to provide sewer, water tank, corporate hanger, terminal building, fuel farm, Air Shows, crash truck, roads, maintenance and operations, salaries and benefits for two of the three jobs that have been created there. All of these items were either paid out of SPLOST Taxes, the General fund, or through a Bond issued by the IBA. Heck, we are in debt for $6,000,000+ for the sewer line to the airport! Another bond issued by the IBA for the corporate hanger is $ 2,000,000 plus another bond by the IBA for $1,200,000 for the water tank. The IBA issued another bond for $6,000,000+ for the film studio. None of this will be refunded by the FAA in any shape form or fashion regardless of what the folks on the support page say. Your taxes are going up this year to help pay for these bonds and purchases which include cost associated with the expansion of the airport to provide commercial passenger service.

Want to know the facts first hand… send an e-mail to David Austin, Boyd Austin, Dave Carmichael, Tabitha Pollard or any commissioner you feel comfortable with, and request all of the information below to be forwarded to you under the provisions of the Open Records Act of the State of Georgia.

It is past time for the truth to be known on the critical issues that is dividing our county. Get involved and get the truth and please allow the citizens of Paulding County to resolve this issue!

Address the following request to Boyd Austin, Mayor, City of Dallas Georgia

Boyd Austin, Chairman of the Industrial Building Authority

Dear Sir,

I respectfully request the following information that pertains to Bonds that have been issued by the City of Dallas through the Industrial Building Authority, and other bonds that were issued by the Paulding County Government through the IBA on these specific projects that directly affect the Paulding County Airport and the Film Studio.

Please provide the cost of each item and the party/parties responsible for the payment of these bond issues, and any reimbursement from the Federal Aviation Administration that may be applicable.

1 -The extension of the sewerage line from the Vista Lake Subdivision to the East end of the Paulding County Airport property.

2-Fuel Farm and Jet Center for Paulding County Airport

3- Corporate hanger, Paulding County Airport/

4-Terminal Building, Paulding County Airport

5- Water tank, Paulding County Airport

6- Road from Highway 278 to the Paulding County Airport

7-Taxi way and runway extension

8- Any other bonds by the IBA through the City of Dallas and/or Paulding County for the purpose of building or expanding and the maintenance of the Paulding County Airport.

9-Bond for the Film Studio

10- Financial statement indicating the inability to pay the Bond debt on the Film Studio, water tank, and the corporate hanger which was due on August 1, 2015 and was required to be paid out of the general fund.

Please provide this information electronically to avoid any coping cost.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation

Name

Address

Phone number

E-mail address

Send this request to tclark@Dallas-ga.gov.

Cc Yolanda.Newell@pauldingairport.com

To further clarify the total cost to the tax payers of the County for the maintenance and construction of the airport, you may want to send the following request to David Austin Chairman of the Paulding County commissioners and ask the following questions

Pursuant to the open records act of the State of Georgia, I respectfully request the following information:

What is the total cost spent on the airport to date? This includes all construction cost, and the maintenance and operations of the facility. How many millions of tax dollars has been spent on the construction and maintenance and operations that will not be reimbursed by the FAA?

Send this e-mail to

commissioners@paulding.gov Attention: David Austin

rebecca.merideth@paulding.gov Attention: David Austin

Name

Address

Phone #

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Paulding County Citizens, if you will do these two things you will see which Facebook group has been truthful in the information being provided to you.

Most important, though the Industrial Building Authority is totally out of control and has amassed a bond debt of millions, some estimates are $27,000,000 dollars that can only be repaid through higher fees and taxes, time to take action – attend the August 11 2015 Board of Commissioners Meetings!

• Like 2

Paulding County Citizens,

I spent the past couple of hours reading the various post on the support airport Facebook page, and a few things became quite apparent.

First, almost a majority of the folks on that page who are belittling the citizens of this county do not live in this county, nor do they pay property taxes in this county. And most of all they do not have a vote in this county as to who will be representing the citizens of this county. Therefore their bitches, gripes, complaints, etc. are unfounded and will have no bearing as to whether the airport will be a commercial airport or a General Aviation.

Moreover, since they have not had access to all the events that surround the airport, they have formed a bias opinion based simply on what has been spoon fed to them on the support Facebook page, and some have worked themselves in to frenzy to the point of really using some abusive and misguided comments toward fellow citizens of our County.

The Stop Airport Expansion Group has held three meetings in Paulding County, sort of informational type/town hall meeting type in which facts were laid out in easy to understand formats, along with elected officials (Commissioners) who answered questions from those present and were even broadcasted live .

At the anti-airport “Meet the Candidates” meeting prior to the election, all candidates for the upcoming election were invited to attend and were given ample time to talk with the citizens present both during the meeting and after. All but one candidate (pro-airport) candidate attended and he was soundly defeated. Three other pro-airport candidates were also soundly defeated in landslide fashion. One candidate even defeated two challengers without a run off!!! Another commissioner was elected by the highest vote total EVER amassed by a commissioner that I know of in the past twelve years. So, that certainly is not what you have been led to believe now is it???

I am amazed at some of the folks that are spewing out misinformation. People who I consider friends, a well-educated person who works as a Paralegal in a well-respected law firm here in the county, and others who have various different businesses in this county, who have allowed their names to be placed on full page ads supporting something that a majority of the citizens have NEVER supported in this county and never will.

The anti-airport group has urged the leadership of this county from day one to hold town hall type meetings, then have a vote and let the citizens decide if they want a commercial airport or a General Aviation airport, yet we have been rebuked at every turn, because a small group of elected and appointed folks (less than ten) are determined to cram this down the throats of the citizens.

Folks, here is the cold hard facts and if you doubt this attend the August 11, 2015 Board of Commissioners meeting. David Austin has proposed to collect another $6,000,000 from the citizens of Paulding County through the increase of the tax digest and property reevaluations over and above last year. In addition, Chairman Austin has proposed AGAIN THIS YEAR to use the reserve fund to balance the budget by using millions to pay for capital improvements and equipment that is proposed in this year’s budget, which should be budgeted and paid for out of the General fund.

If this continues we will see our credit worthiness plunge, and we will be required to pay higher bond rates to secure money for any major project.

Millions of dollars have been poured into the airport to provide sewer, water tank, corporate hanger, terminal building, fuel farm, Air Shows, crash truck, roads, maintenance and operations, salaries and benefits for two of the three jobs that have been created there. All of these items were either paid out of SPLOST Taxes, the General fund, or through a Bond issued by the IBA. Heck, we are in debt for $6,000,000+ for the sewer line to the airport! Another bond issued by the IBA for the corporate hanger is $ 2,000,000 plus another bond by the IBA for $1,200,000 for the water tank. The IBA issued another bond for $6,000,000+ for the film studio. None of this will be refunded by the FAA in any shape form or fashion regardless of what the folks on the support page say. Your taxes are going up this year to help pay for these bonds and purchases which include cost associated with the expansion of the airport to provide commercial passenger service.

Want to know the facts first hand… send an e-mail to David Austin, Boyd Austin, Dave Carmichael, Tabitha Pollard or any commissioner you feel comfortable with, and request all of the information below to be forwarded to you under the provisions of the Open Records Act of the State of Georgia.

It is past time for the truth to be known on the critical issues that is dividing our county. Get involved and get the truth and please allow the citizens of Paulding County to resolve this issue!

Address the following request to Boyd Austin, Mayor, City of Dallas Georgia

Boyd Austin, Chairman of the Industrial Building Authority

Dear Sir,

I respectfully request the following information that pertains to Bonds that have been issued by the City of Dallas through the Industrial Building Authority, and other bonds that were issued by the Paulding County Government through the IBA on these specific projects that directly affect the Paulding County Airport and the Film Studio.

Please provide the cost of each item and the party/parties responsible for the payment of these bond issues, and any reimbursement from the Federal Aviation Administration that may be applicable.

1 -The extension of the sewerage line from the Vista Lake Subdivision to the East end of the Paulding County Airport property.

2-Fuel Farm and Jet Center for Paulding County Airport

3- Corporate hanger, Paulding County Airport/

4-Terminal Building, Paulding County Airport

5- Water tank, Paulding County Airport

6- Road from Highway 278 to the Paulding County Airport

7-Taxi way and runway extension

8- Any other bonds by the IBA through the City of Dallas and/or Paulding County for the purpose of building or expanding and the maintenance of the Paulding County Airport.

9-Bond for the Film Studio

10- Financial statement indicating the inability to pay the Bond debt on the Film Studio, water tank, and the corporate hanger which was due on August 1, 2015 and was required to be paid out of the general fund.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation

Name

Address

Phone number

E-mail address

Send this request to tclark@Dallas-ga.gov.

Cc Yolanda.Newell@pauldingairport.com

To further clarify the total cost to the tax payers of the County for the maintenance and construction of the airport, you may want to send the following request to David Austin Chairman of the Paulding County commissioners and ask the following questions

Pursuant to the open records act of the State of Georgia, I respectfully request the following information:

What is the total cost spent on the airport to date? This includes all construction cost, and the maintenance and operations of the facility. How many millions of tax dollars has been spent on the construction and maintenance and operations that will not be reimbursed by the FAA?

Send this e-mail to

commissioners@paulding.gov Attention: David Austin

rebecca.merideth@paulding.gov Attention: David Austin

Name

Address

Phone #

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Paulding County Citizens, if you will do these two things you will see which Facebook group has been truthful in the information being provided to you.

Most important, though the Industrial Building Authority is totally out of control and has amassed a bond debt of millions, some estimates are $27,000,000 dollars that can only be repaid through higher fees and taxes, time to take action – attend the August 11 2015 Board of Commissioners Meetings!

I'm enjoying a wonderful Saturday afternoon with family and someone called me and told me that you might possibly be speaking about me in the above bolded portion of your post I don't mean to be presumptuous; however, if you are speaking of me, I feel obligated to clear up a few things

Yes Whitey, I do consider you a friend even though you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the Airport as well as various other issues If you will recall, we have also agreed on several political issues in the past and I'm sure there will be more we agree on in the future I actually have a few friends that are anti-airport and I wouldn't trade those friendships for anything in the world One that comes to mind specifically has been a friend of mine for over 20 years and I love he and his family dearly

As for my employment, I have been employed as a Paralegal for about 35 years now I have worked with 2 very large firms in Atlanta, two wonderful firms in Paulding County and have assisted many of my attorney / friends who have firms in Paulding, Cobb, and Bartow Counties whenever they needed assistance on special projects, etc Some history: my husband has been with his employer for 36 years During the time our 3 children were growing up, they never made him go work out of town as they knew that he was vehemently opposed to that He promised them as soon as we got our children through college, he would go where they wanted My husband's company fulfilled their end of the bargain and my husband is fulfilling his. After my husband started traveling to other areas of the country for work, he wanted me to be with him. We knew that it would not be feasible for me to work on a full-time permanent basis and would not be fair to employers as we never knew when we might have to relocate temporarily for him to work on an out of town project.

So when we went to Houston, TX a couple of years ago for my husband to build a high rise building, I got bored as we had no family in the area I sought a job in the Houston area and was fortunate enough to find a job as a Paralegal with a large Houston firm. They knew we were only there temporarily but thankfully, hired me anyway. When it came time for us to leave Houston, they offered me a Contract position to continue working for them from home. So, the moral of the story, I am not working for any local law firms, I am working full time from home for the firm in Houston, TX and I dearly love the job and love them It is a perfect situation for me in that the job is "portable" so anywhere my husband has to work The world of technology has many, many advantages :)

I understand that the above couple of paragraphs were lengthy and not of any interest to anyone; however, you sort of put me in the position of having to explain my employment and to set the record straight.

I will say this, I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe is right. I don't have anything to gain financially or personally with the Airport other than it having the distinct possibility of making our community stronger, more self-sufficient and providing economic development and job opportunities for our future generations. Our generation needs to act responsibly and "set the stage" for our future generations' well being. We have an amazing, very valuable asset that is already in place with our Airport - why would we not use it to its fullest potential?

Paulding County is quite unique. Even though it is considered a part of the Metropolitan Atlanta area, we don't have even one interstate running through our area. We don't have natural attractions, i.e., large rivers or lakes, etc. We are relatively close in proximity to the busiest airport in the world. That in itself allows us a huge advantage as to commercial air travel. I truly with all my heart believe this airport will be our greatest chance in attracting new businesses and job creation. We desperately need something to stimulate economic growth in our community. The airport is here and is not going anywhere - why don't we make the best of it?

Whitey - I respect you and your opinion. I hope that you will realize that I, along with many others, have an opinion that happens to differ with yours on this issue. Just like you, I have a right to my opinion and I have a right to stand up for it.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying a wonderful Saturday afternoon with family and someone called me and told me that you might possibly be speaking about me in the above bolded portion of your post I don't mean to be presumptuous; however, if you are speaking of me, I feel obligated to clear up a few things

Yes Whitey, I do consider you a friend even though you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the Airport as well as various other issues If you will recall, we have also agreed on several political issues in the past and I'm sure there will be more we agree on in the future I actually have a few friends that are anti-airport and I wouldn't trade those friendships for anything in the world One that comes to mind specifically has been a friend of mine for over 20 years and I love he and his family dearly

As for my employment, I have been employed as a Paralegal for about 35 years now I have worked with 2 very large firms in Atlanta, two wonderful firms in Paulding County and have assisted many of my attorney / friends who have firms in Paulding, Cobb, and Bartow Counties whenever they needed assistance on special projects, etc Some history: my husband has been with his employer for 36 years During the time our 3 children were growing up, they never made him go work out of town as they knew that he was vehemently opposed to that He promised them as soon as we got our children through college, he would go where they wanted My husband's company fulfilled their end of the bargain and my husband is fulfilling his. After my husband started traveling to other areas of the country for work, he wanted me to be with him. We knew that it would not be feasible for me to work on a full-time permanent basis and would not be fair to employers as we never knew when we might have to relocate temporarily for him to work on an out of town project.

So when we went to Houston, TX a couple of years ago for my husband to build a high rise building, I got bored as we had no family in the area I sought a job in the Houston area and was fortunate enough to find a job as a Paralegal with a large Houston firm. They knew we were only there temporarily but thankfully, hired me anyway. When it came time for us to leave Houston, they offered me a Contract position to continue working for them from home. So, the moral of the story, I am not working for any local law firms, I am working full time from home for the firm in Houston, TX and I dearly love the job and love them It is a perfect situation for me in that the job is "portable" so anywhere my husband has to work The world of technology has many, many advantages :)

I understand that the above couple of paragraphs were lengthy and not of any interest to anyone; however, you sort of put me in the position of having to explain my employment and to set the record straight.

I will say this, I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe is right. I don't have anything to gain financially or personally with the Airport other than it having the distinct possibility of making our community stronger, more self-sufficient and providing economic development and job opportunities for our future generations. Our generation needs to act responsibly and "set the stage" for our future generations' well being. We have an amazing, very valuable asset that is already in place with our Airport - why would we not use it to its fullest potential?

Paulding County is quite unique. Even though it is considered a part of the Metropolitan Atlanta area, we don't have even one interstate running through our area. We don't have natural attractions, i.e., large rivers or lakes, etc. We are relatively close in proximity to the busiest airport in the world. That in itself allows us a huge advantage as to commercial air travel. I truly with all my heart believe this airport will be our greatest chance in attracting new businesses and job creation. We desperately need something to stimulate economic growth in our community. The airport is here and is not going anywhere - why don't we make the best of it?

Whitey - I respect you and your opinion. I hope that you will realize that I, along with many others, have an opinion that happens to differ with yours on this issue. Just like you, I have a right to my opinion and I have a right to stand up for it.

Cecila

What you need to do is call that person back and inform them that they were wrong.

Furthermore their was no need for you to write a resume for me, I do know you quite well and I am certainty aware of your many job assignments both inside and outside of Paulding County, You have posted in social media many of your numerous jobs ranging from the firm here in the County to I believe Troutman Sanders in Atlanta ( Could be wrong on this one) In any event it is good to hear from you.

Since you mentioned the airport, I have been following the conservations on the various face book pages and I am amazed at some of the comments both pro and con for the Airport by some friends of mine and I am a bit dismayed by some of the misinformation that is being posted on the Support page and the bitterness that is being displayed by some of the posters, Though I must add it appears that most of the bitterness comes from folks that are not citizens of Paulding County.

Since I have been banned from that face book page I decided to try and get the truth out in another way, since the administrator of that site refuses to allow a two way discussion between his posters and Anti commercial airport posters.

Since you are a well qualified Para Legal, I am quite sure that you are aware of the State law that allows average citizens to ask for specific information from our elected officials and they are required to answer those questions in a TRUTHFUL MANNER.

I did notice on the face book page that you frequent, quite often that on many occasions, things that are posted on there are not true at all.

I believe in an informed citizen making informed decisions that affects there well being, Too often our elected leaders stray from the truth and there is a need to rein them back in.

My challenge in this post is to get the citizens to seek the truth from the elected leaders and to post those responses on this site as well as the various face book pages.

I challenge you to do the open records request and post on the face book page of your choice the responses you get.

We all should be dealing with TRUTHFUL FACTS when we make decisions that affect the County in which we live, work and play.

• Like 2

Actually I think whitey is right about requesting the records. I'm going to and I appreciate the information on how to do it.

Imagine if just a few hundred sent in requests for records and actually became informed. And besides that it would give the county workers something to do.

• Like 5

Since you mentioned the airport, I have been following the conservations on the various face book pages and I am amazed at some of the comments both pro and con for the Airport by some friends of mine and I am a bit dismayed by some of the misinformation that is being posted on the Support page and the bitterness that is being displayed by some of the posters, Though I must add it appears that most of the bitterness comes from folks that are not citizens of Paulding County.

Since I have been banned from that face book page I decided to try and get the truth out in another way, since the administrator of that site refuses to allow a two way discussion between his posters and Anti commercial airport posters.

I did notice on the face book page that you frequent, quite often that on many occasions, things that are posted on there are not true at all.

We all should be dealing with TRUTHFUL FACTS when we make decisions that affect the County in which we live, work and play.

I bolded the part that really stands out to me personally. You know I try to stay informed and go to many sources for information. The one place that I do not consider has any credibility is the page you are speaking of on FB. They have put out some glaring misinformation and will allow no rebuttal to it. I seek my answers from the commissioners and yes even the anti page. At least there is honest debate allowed there. Just my 2 cents... Thank you for sharing Whitey.

• Like 2

I appreciate this info. As for a vote on whether the citizens want a commercial or general aviation airport,we voted NO airport at all,but it was shoved down our throats.

• Like 1

I bolded the part that really stands out to me personally. You know I try to stay informed and go to many sources for information. The one place that I do not consider has any credibility is the page you are speaking of on FB. They have put out some glaring misinformation and will allow no rebuttal to it. I seek my answers from the commissioners and yes even the anti page. At least there is honest debate allowed there. Just my 2 cents... Thank you for sharing Whitey.

NewsJunky I do appreciate your comments and I do know that you go straight to the source and get face to face with the commissioners and have a civil conversation with them and get the facts.

What has really concerned me is the number of folks on that Face Book site that lives nowhere near Paulding County and it seems that the administrator of that site incites them into saying some really horrible things about our citizens.

Hopefully a lot of folks will make the open records request and we can get the real truth out to PAULDING COUNTY CITIZENS., After all when it is all said and done they are the only ones that will matter.

AL Oker Hang in there the anti commercial passenger group has just began to fight this injustice. The first flight was suppose to depart Silver Comet field in the Fall of 2013 and about 600 days later they still have not sold the first ticket. This fight for what a majority of the folks want is far from over.

We have two Mayors elections coming up this November. they also serve on the Airport Authority and The Industrial Building Authority help us replace those two mayors who have repeatedly voted to spend millions of tax dollars to provide commercial passenger service. Lets send another message this November

• Like 1

I do live next to the airport and I have always been in favor for it. The airport is the only thing the county has ever done to try to get jobs for the people on my side of the county. The only time the airport noise bothers me is durning the air shows, but that is only for four days, and I can put up with that, no problem, sense I know it gives a lot of pleasure to the people who come and helps advertise the airport. I would like to see more use of the airport with industry and jobs comeing with it.

• Like 7

I do live next to the airport and I have always been in favor for it. The airport is the only thing the county has ever done to try to get jobs for the people on my side of the county. The only time the airport noise bothers me is durning the air shows, but that is only for four days, and I can put up with that, no problem, sense I know it gives a lot of pleasure to the people who come and helps advertise the airport. I would like to see more use of the airport with industry and jobs comeing with it.

If the Airport Authority has there way Commercial Jets will be coming and going at all hours of the day and nightwith a projected 1,000,000 passengers per year and soon will be Like Clayton County and the city of Atlanta.

I like the quite laid back atmosphere that we enjoy now, I do not want the city of Dallas Hiram and Yorkville to become like the City of Atlanta.

Too much crime, drugs, corruption, failing school system for me. Even though the City of Atlanta and Clayton County have the busiest airport in the world they have some of the highest taxes in the state. Don't swallow the chamber of commerce sales pitch about lower taxes, check the facts for yourself

Oh BTW the airport has been open since 2008 and only two jobs have been created, WHERE ARE THE JOBS!!!!