Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
JSC

Windows 10

I am at 22% installing it on my children's computer.

ok, well, please let us know what you think. I've about gotten used to W8.1 now.

Has anyone else seen the TV commercials for it?

I upgraded my main laptop this morning. It's working fine as I type this. I like it much better than 8/8.1. Cortana works pretty well too. It only took about 30 minutes for the upgrade.

The commercials look amazing. I have had Windows 8 almost 3 years, and we still haven't bonded. It is installed and I like the new browser. I love that I can put my notes directly on the webpage.

How does 10 compare to 7.0? I hated 8, so I've only been using our laptops and computers that have 7. Is 10 easier to use than 7 or better in anyway? Is the menu similar to 7 or does it give the option to have a menu setup like 7?

• Like 1

How does 10 compare to 7.0? I hated 8, so I've only been using our laptops and computers that have 7. Is 10 easier to use than 7 or better in anyway? Is the menu similar to 7 or does it give the option to have a menu setup like 7?

The start menu is more like 7 than 8. By default, apps launch in windows like 7 not full screen like in 8.

• Like 2

I upgraded my main laptop this morning. It's working fine as I type this. I like it much better than 8/8.1. Cortana works pretty well too. It only took about 30 minutes for the upgrade.

I've only had my Win 8.1 desktop for a year. I reserved my copy of Win 10 but was going to wait. My worry is losing any programs or files/pics on my pc. Did you have any issues, or did you just copy everything to an external hard drive before you upgraded to the Win 10? Thanks.

I've only had my Win 8.1 desktop for a year. I reserved my copy of Win 10 but was going to wait. My worry is losing any programs or files/pics on my pc. Did you have any issues, or did you just copy everything to an external hard drive before you upgraded to the Win 10? Thanks.

I did the upgrade option and didn't have any issues. All my files and applications are just as they were before.

• Like 2

I purposely bought a refurbished desk top last year because I did not want Windows 8. The company I work for--most of their programs will not even work on Windows 8.

So, I guess I will do like I did with XP--wait until they make me change!! LOL

Took the plunge and downloaded the MSI install file so I could do both my laptops. I never did like Windows 8 on a laptop it is designed more for a tablet.

Install was quick and easy and the look is a lot like Windows 7.

Interesting "feature" of W10 to be aware of:

Wi-Fi Sense allows you to automatically log your friends onto your Wi-Fi network without ever giving them your password. It's a convenient solution to the awkward "what's your Wi-Fi password?" conversations.

In turn, you can use Wi-Fi Sense to automatically connect your Windows 10 PC to your friends' Wi-Fi networks without knowing their passwords.

Sounds safer than telling them your password, which you probably use for your bank and email accounts, right?

Microsoft enables Wi-Fi Sense by default on Windows 10, but it doesn't share your networks by default. You have to actively choose to share your Wi-Fi network by clicking a box that says "Share network with my contacts" when logging in.

When you share your network, all of your Facebook (FB, Tech30) friends as well as your Skype and Outlook.com contacts will be able to automatically log onto your Wi-Fi network when their Windows 10 PCs are in range. With Wi-Fi Sense, they don't need to enter a password to log on (if they have a Mac, iPhone or Android device, you'll still have to give up your password).

And when your friends connect via Wi-Fi Sense, they won't then, in turn, be able to share your network with their friends.

Wi-Fi Sense stores your Wi-Fi network password on a Microsoft server. It's encrypted, so if a hacker were to break in, your password would appear as garbled text. And Windows 10 does not allow you to share access to corporate Wi-Fi networks that use special security protocols.

So if you activate this for your home network, be aware that you are opening up your network to everyone on your "friends" list.

Interesting "feature" of W10 to be aware of:

So if you activate this for your home network, be aware that you are opening up your network to everyone on your "friends" list.

If your friends on your "

friends" list are local they probably already have your wifi password anyway.

I'm glad you didn't have any problems. I am scared to update as I have heard some people saying it is taking an eternity to upgrade. I'm glad to hear you say it only took about 30 minutes.

I heard on the radiotoday that if you have windows 7 or 8 that you can upgrade to windows 10 for free, is that true?

Yep! For one year.

I heard on the radiotoday that if you have windows 7 or 8 that you can upgrade to windows 10 for free, is that true?

There is an icon on my lower right screen - near the speaker, power, and printer icons for windows 10. It looks like the windows symbol & is on both of my windows 7 & 8 computers.

Yep! For one year.

To clarify, you have one year to do a free upgrade after which you would have to purchase a windows 10 license if you wanted to upgrade.

Some people might be confused and are thinking the upgrade is only good (works) for one year then you have to buy it but that is not true. It is good for as long as you own that computer.

• Like 2

I'm glad you didn't have any problems. I am scared to update as I have heard some people saying it is taking an eternity to upgrade. I'm glad to hear you say it only took about 30 minutes.

It does that to some because you cannot upgrade unless all of the available updates are installed for your current system.

How to remove the windows 10 from taskbar.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6596-get-windows-10-icon-remove-taskbar-windows-7-8-1-a.html#option4

I uninstalled the update and then hide it in updates so it won't come back. I will not update to 10.

I will go to linux first.

You don't know what you're missing. I downloaded a couple of days ago and after a brief time to get familiar with it and filter through the privacy settings I gotta say I like it,- a lot of really nice features- and I am not someone that embraces change. And if you don't like it you have 30 days to go back to your old operating system.

You don't know what you're missing. I downloaded a couple of days ago and after a brief time to get familiar with it and filter through the privacy settings I gotta say I like it,- a lot of really nice features- and I am not someone that embraces change. And if you don't like it you have 30 days to go back to your old operating system.

That's good to know.

The technical review versions early testers had did include a keylogger.

The current version does involve some privacy invasion tools installed as a default if you link the version to a microsoft account. (I don't have one) The 'assistant' cortana is one of the tools that works (as well as the new browser Edge) to collect information that is used in the same way that google does.

I've not upgraded as of this moment but I do intend to install additional browsers and not opt for Cortana or use edge or the included microsoft email client.

Here is an article in the WSJ (blog) that details the issue: http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/08/05/windows-10-isnt-spyware-but-it-wants-your-data/

pubby

If you are currently running Windows 8, upgrading to 10 is a major improvement.

Windows 7 was very good, so upgrading from there is probably a matter of taste. Just keep in mind that given their previous trends; Microsoft will probably start dropping support for Windows 7 in 2-3 years. So if you upgrade to 10 now, that will give you some more time.

I will still use Firefox for most of my browsing, so the spying issues don't concern me so much.