Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
NumberCruncher

esophageal cancer

my husband was diagnosed this morning. we don't know what grade or stage yet. the gastroenterologist who performed the endoscopy is putting together a team of doctors to meet with us this week.

does anyone have first or even second hand knowledge of what to expect?

i've done a ton of googling and reading, but i'm hoping for some more personal advice/knowledge.

is this what johnny j had? i remember him having trouble swallowing food.....that's what led me to schedule the test for MD.....

I'm sorry your husband has this. I just finished reading some info about it and there are two types (AC and SCC) involved. From everything I read, all sites do suggest you get a second opinion and then decide your treatment options. Most important, I'm hoping it hasn't spread.

I think JohnnyJ had throat cancer. I'm sure someone on here will know.

Good luck and prayers for you and your husband during this difficult time.

i've just heard from the STAT clinic at the Kennestone cancer center. we have an appt with Dr. Mayfield on wed at 2:30pm

they are gonna try to have the CT scan and PET scan scheduled for wed as well, before the appt with the dr...so we will know what we're dealing with.

Hey NC-17 not trying to predict anything but I do have some knowledge. My father died of EC in 1973. They have really made huge advances in treatment since then and I am sure everything will turn out all right. Please get a second opinion on every step along the way. Doctors are like imported beers some are really good and some suck. Wishing ya'll all the best.

i guess the second opinion will come from the cancer center and the CT & PET scans.

the dr we are seeing on wed seems to be a thoracic surgeon. i googled him.

not sure where the oncologist will come in to play...

also. all imported beers suck.

i'm a coors light girl....

• Like 1

:::POSITIVETHOUGHTS:::

just remember that all cancer treatments have come a long way and most are treatable.

look into alternative medicines for helping to deal with symptoms and into a nutritionist for helping as well. both help during and after treatments (radiation and/or chemo)

:::POSITIVETHOUGHTS:::

• Like 1

My FIL had it 15 years ago. It was caught very early. He had outpatient surgery and took oral chemo. Everything worked out great. His only life changes are that he no longer is able to hang out in smokey pool halls and he has a throat check every 6 months. He is very cautious and goes to the Dr. every time he gets a sore throat but who could blame him?

I'll raise a beer to the hope that your husband has not the same, but an even better experience.

Keep your head up.

• Like 1

My FIL had it 15 years ago. It was caught very early. He had outpatient surgery and took oral chemo. Everything worked out great. His only life changes are that he no longer is able to hang out in smokey pool halls and he has a throat check every 6 months. He is very cautious and goes to the Dr. every time he gets a sore throat but who could blame him?

I'll raise a beer to the hope that your husband has not the same, but an even better experience.

Keep your head up.

this is very encouraging news. thank you!

I am very sorry to hear this.

My mom has been dealing with Stage 3 anal cancer since Feb. She finds out on Wed if the cancer is gone or not. She also went to the cancer center at Kennestone and had very good treatment there. DH will be in good hands.

The PET scan will give the docs all/most of the info they need to set forth a plan. My mom needed chemo & radiation, but others will need one or both. The oncologist was in charge of the chemo and the radiation oncologist was in charge of the radiation. The radiation is in the 320 bldg and the chemo is in the 340 bldg (or maybe it's reversed). The nurses and doctors are all knowledgeable and understanding. I think you have to be to be in that type of specialty.

Best of luck to you and DH.

• Like 1

I had upper esophageal cancer a few years back, NC!

I was supposed to get Chemo, and Radiation. But I said no to Chemo, because I couldn't afford it, and did Radiation. I have been cancer free, and my Doctor has cut me down to 6 month visits, now, where I was seeing him by monthly. I had stage 2 cancer, and am now cancer free.overlay.gifoverlay.gif

Dr. McLaughlin, at Kennestone, is a great Doctor.

Edited by The Postman
  • Like 2

Good luck to your husband.

My MIL died of this is 1983. The treatment was not very good at that time and the rad. burned her up.

A dear friend had this stage 4 when found. That was last year. It was a long road; but, he is now cancer free.

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with EC but Dr. Mayfield is a great doctor. He did surgery on the hubs a couple of years ago and we both liked him a lot.

Anytime the word 'cancer' is in a diagnosis, it's SCARY. But people recover from cancer everyday, treatments have come a long way. Hang in there and know we are thinking about both of you. Keep us updated as you can.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband having cancer. I don't have any helpful info but I have heard of Dr. Mayfield and your husband is in good hands. My thoughts and prayers are with yall.

• Like 1

• if he needs radiation, the radiation lab at Paulding is fantastic; I had radiation there and the staff treated me like a princess. I also had an oncologist at Kennestone, but was told I could have radiation close to home in the brand new facility. Good luck

• Like 1

yesterday we met with some pretty amazing people.

Dr McLaughlin will be doing the radiation therapy.

we meet with him tomorrow to get measured and tattooed.

Dr Mayfield will be the thoracic surgeon.

we go in monday morning to have MD's chemo port and feeding tube put in.

Dr McCune will be doing the chemo.

chemo and radiation will start on august 10th. he will have 5 weeks of treatment.

MD will rest for 6-8 weeks and let his body heal and immune system replenish, then will have surgery to remove his stomach and esophagus. his stomach will then be reattached to his throat and large intestine.

he will eat through the feeding tube indefinitely.

chemo and radiation will start on august 10th. he will have 5 weeks of treatment.

MD will rest for 6-8 weeks and let his body heal and immune system replenish, then will have surgery to remove his stomach and esophagus. his stomach will then be reattached to his throat and large intestine.

Dr McCune was my Doc when I had breast cancer and is my husbands Doc now I like him...he takes time to listen and explain things...wishing y'all the best!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you and your husband are going through this. My thoughts are with you both.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. I will keep y'all in my prayers. This is a huge life event, but I know you know that drs are ever amazed at how well people with a positive mindset and good support system do (and you know this from personal experience). I am going to pray that all this will be a fading memory when you and MD sit down to eat Thanksgiving dinner in a few months.

• Like 3

Dr.McLaughlin was my wife's radiation doctor at Kennestone and we loved him. He is associated with the group at Paulding. Wishing nothing but good thoughts for you and yours.

• Like 1

Your husband - and all of you cancer survivors! - are in my prayers. My mom got good news this week, thankfully. Her treatments were rough and there were many days when she thought that she couldn't do it any more, but she got through it. So will DH. He will need your support in a big, big way. There's also a fantastic organization called "Loving Arms" who partners with Kennestone and others. They are a cancer support group and they do all kinds of wonderful things. Contact them and see if they can help you in any way. Keeping you all in my prayers!

• Like 3