• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 fashionistamom

fashionistamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

I just hope that the school administators will get their heads out of the sand, and make the kids who are a threat to the schools abide by the rules that were put in place to protect those that truly want an education.They also need to protect the teachers who are trying their best (in most cases) to educate them.I experience this first hand, and it really is a shame when you have to go teach every day in a school where there is no respect for educators because write ups are not taken seriously, and proper punishment is not given. It is not fair to students who truly want to learn, and the educators who are trying to teach them.
  • The Sound Guy and lowrider like this

#42 Veritas

Veritas

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

You guys are making this issue be about politics. This issue here is not politics it is the school system and the education of our children.The local school board and school administration and parents as well need to work together to make a resolution about how to better deal with "issues" in the schools like bullying, disrespect for authority, and teachers. If the administration gets tough and enforces the rules all kids will have a better learning environment and therefore an equal chance at a good education. It can be done but administrators, educators, and parents have to come together to work on improvements that will benefit all concerned.

You don't sound very well-informed about schools. What the others are correctly pointing out to you is that there are many, many state and federal laws, regulations and funding formulas, in addition to lawsuit settlements and consent decrees, all of which impact how schools are run.  All of these must be adhered to, regardless of how many people show up at school board meetings. These have very real and tangible consequences in the way that schools are run. Some of these are positive, but many are not (though often which are which depends on one's perspective). But nearly all of these mechanisms have been put in place by politicians, and judges whom they appointed.

#43 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,393 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

It's all about money.  Seriously.

#44 icare

icare

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

It's all about money.  Seriously.

Explain.....please.

#45 Peaches

Peaches

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

You don't sound very well-informed about schools. What the others are correctly pointing out to you is that there are many, many state and federal laws, regulations and funding formulas, in addition to lawsuit settlements and consent decrees, all of which impact how schools are run.  All of these must be adhered to, regardless of how many people show up at school board meetings. These have very real and tangible consequences in the way that schools are run. Some of these are positive, but many are not (though often which are which depends on one's perspective). But nearly all of these mechanisms have been put in place by politicians, and judges whom they appointed.

That's 100% right. Too many people think we can "just kick them out" and "get tough" but that is not the way it works. It is also the worst thing we can do because we tried that before and the result was a poverty and criminal cycle that is almost impossible to break.

#46 fashionistamom

fashionistamom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

First off my response was to the person who said that they wanted to see the Superintendent of schools be elected into office so they would have to answer to parents. I simply am letting them know about the school board meetings being open to the public and parents as a means of communication with the school officials. Secondly unless you are a teacher, or student at PCHS and other high schools like it you yourself have no idea what goes on in the classrooms. I do have first hand experience with this issue, as I am a teacher. I am speaking for myself and other teachers as well when I started this discussion. Right now it is so that simple discipline is not even enforced ( I am talking ISS where they are moved to a class away from the other students and teachers, 3 days OSS or out of school supspension). I never said kids should be kicked out of class or school long term. Simple punishment of these forms should be inacted because otherwise it is a chaotic environment not one of learning.

#47 workingforaliving

workingforaliving

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,919 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Not everyone gets great parents. It is just how it is. You have the one in a million that ends up as a success and even a millionaire. As a society we have decided that it benefits society to try to make productive citizens of as many children as possible in spite of their circumstances. We have a few problems in education. One of them is people using their degree to teach to make a living and don't really like teaching kids. It is a great job with paid summers off.
The next problem is that as a society, how are we going to teach young people right from wrong without the threat of hell hanging over their heads. At some point we have to address behavior with something besides I said so.
The dysfunctional parents won't tolerate behavioral science that allows their children to see the dysfunction.
We have more social issues destroying our schools and children than you can shake a stick at.
This is why our prisons become fuller and fuller. Christian parents won't tolerate anything but their values being taught. I hate to break it to them but prison populations are well over 50% Christian.

We have to do better with education, it has to go beyond the the basic reading, writing and mathematics to social and life skills. We have obese children because we don't teach food values and all they know is eating makes me fat and I am hungry. Give kids tools, soft skills, behavioral science, social skills. and life skills about credit, mortgages, and checking accounts.
These things will make huge difference when started early on at an appropriate level for their age.
We have too many children falling behind due more to social issues and behavior than a lack of intelligence and aptitude.
We don't even give young people the latitude to follow their aptitude because we are to busy trying to round them out to fit them in a hole otherwise known as a test.

When we apply common sense to education we will have better outcomes and a lot less people left behind waiting to go into prison or rehab.

I just want to clarify that teachers do not get paid summers off. We get paid during the summer, but only because teacher's 10-month salary is paid over 12 months.
  • The Sound Guy, 2busy4?, icare and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#48 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

I just want to clarify that teachers do not get paid summers off. We get paid during the summer, but only because teacher's 10-month salary is paid over 12 months.

I know that good teachers deserve the down time. I also know that most of them work those 2 months because teachers don't get paid a lot for all the hours they work. I respect and admire real teachers. It is a hard job that I have no interest in ever doing. I have plenty of patience up to a point. I think the parent teacher meetings might land me in jail.

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics