57 replies to this topic

#1 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

Now it appears because the word "thug" was used so much to describe the rioters in Baltimore, there are those who have decided that the word was used to substitute the "n" word.  Now anyone who uses it is being considered a racist.  It seems those who are making this claim think the rioters should be called, "misguided youths."

Golly gee willickers.

#2 Brian

Brian

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Check this out: The word 'thug' has a surprising origin

#3 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

But how can they say that? I know many white thugs around here--are we now supposed to call them the "N" word??

• gemini52272 likes this

#4 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

But how can they say that? I know many white thugs around here--are we now supposed to call them the "N" word??

I guess now if you call a member of the Mafia a "mobster" it will be the same as calling them a "wop" because they're Italian.  Of course the meanings of "mobster" and "woo" are not the same.  This is nothing more than an attempt to downplay the looting, burning buildings and cars, throwing softball sized chunks of concrete at police officers and to accuse those who call them "thugs" as racist.

Edited by El Zorro, 30 April 2015 - 10:08 PM.

Golly gee willickers.

#5 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

A pejorative is a pejorative.

pe·jo·ra·tive
p?'jôr?div/
adjective
adjective: pejorative

expressing contempt or disapproval.
    ""permissiveness" is used almost universally as a pejorative term"
    synonyms:    disparaging, derogatory, denigratory, deprecatory, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, abusive, insulting, slighting;
    informalbitchy
    "his remarks were considered too pejorative for daytime radio"
    antonyms:    complimentary

noun
noun: pejorative; plural noun: pejoratives

1.   a word expressing contempt or disapproval.

Origin
late 19th century: from French péjoratif, -ive, from late Latin pejorare ‘make worse,’ from Latin pejor ‘worse.’
Translate pejorative to
Use over time for: pejorative

So is the 'n-word' (a pejorative) 

I don't know that it is a rule that you have to use either pejorative.

Fact is, we might get further along if we used neither.

pubby

#6 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

Check this out: The word 'thug' has a surprising origin

I knew that...interesting, huh?

I know some white thugs, and I don't consider it to be pejorative if it's describing behavior (which it does with the yokels I mentioned).

But I won't use it if it's gonna make people feel bad. I like hooligan better anyway.
  • El Zorro likes this

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

#7 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

I knew that...interesting, huh?

I know some white thugs, and I don't consider it to be pejorative if it's describing behavior (which it does with the yokels I mentioned).

But I won't use it if it's gonna make people feel bad. I like hooligan better anyway.

Rest assured if hooligan starts getting used to describe rioters who are black, it will become another new "n" word.  I'm not surprised thought to see pubby embracing thug as the new "n" word.

Golly gee willickers.

#8 Domestic Violence by Proxy

Domestic Violence by Proxy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

I guess now if you call a member of the Mafia a "mobster" it will be the same as calling them a "wop" because they're Italian.  Of course the meanings of "mobster" and "woo" are not the same.  This is nothing more than an attempt to downplay the looting, burning buildings and cars, throwing softball sized chunks of concrete at police officers and to accuse those who call them "thugs" as racist.

Some find the word "mobster" to be synonymous with "Italian". Thug is considered a "dog whistle" for the "n-word".   There are many euphemisms for coded racism like forced busing/integration, welfare queens/minority women. Thug clearly has an underlying meaning.

In court, I told Chief Judge Tonny S. Beavers about someone who frequently called me and my children niggas and a few other unfavorable truths about that person. All of my assertions were supported by evidence but in my opinion, the judge was more concerned with protecting that person's reputation than truth and fact finding.

The judge gave me "friendly advice" when he told me something to the effect of [paraphrasing] whether I was right or whether I was wrong I could be bankrupted defending myself from a defamation suit. In my opinion that was a "dog whistle threat". The statement made me feel as though the judge was attempting to intimidate me into public silence. He had no advice for me prior but on this subject suddenly he had "advice" for me in open court.

• The Postman likes this

blackrobechildabuse_zpsmub3uzz3.gif

#9 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Some find the word "mobster" to be synonymous with "Italian". Thug is considered a "dog whistle" for the "n-word".   There are many euphemisms for coded racism like forced busing/integration, welfare queens/minority women. Thug clearly has an underlying meaning.

In court, I told Chief Judge Tonny S. Beavers about someone who frequently called me and my children niggas and a few other unfavorable truths about that person. All of my assertions were supported by evidence but in my opinion, the judge was more concerned with protecting that person's reputation than truth and fact finding.

The judge gave me "friendly advice" when he told me something to the effect of [paraphrasing] whether I was right or whether I was wrong I could be bankrupted defending myself from a defamation suit. In my opinion that was a "dog whistle threat". The statement made me feel as though the judge was attempting to intimidate me into public silence. He had no advice for me prior but on this subject suddenly he had "advice" for me in open court.

That's a real stretch.  The only reason thug is being considered a "dog whistle" for the "n" word is because there are those on the left that want to believe that is the intent of the use when describing those in Baltimore who committed acts of arson, theft, and assault during the riots.  It's nothing more than an attempt to try to make those who committed those acts out to be victims.  Now there are those from the left who want to call them "misguided youths."  They knew those acts were breaking the law.  They were thugs plain and simple.  According to the dictionary, a thug is someone who commits acts of violence.

Golly gee willickers.

#10 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

The biggest welfare queen I've ever know had white skin.

• The Sound Guy, rednekkhikkchikk and mei lan like this

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#11 Jamie Weaver

Jamie Weaver

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

We could just call them criminals.

- Jamie

• cmorg, Blondiega1, Dana and 1 other like this

"I have always tried to [tell the truth], but the Russians made me do it."  - Hillary Clinton

#12 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,940 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

That's a real stretch.  The only reason thug is being considered a "dog whistle" for the "n" word is because there are those on the left that want to believe that is the intent of the use when describing those in Baltimore who committed acts of arson, theft, and assault during the riots.  It's nothing more than an attempt to try to make those who committed those acts out to be victims.  Now there are those from the left who want to call them "misguided youths."  They knew those acts were breaking the law.  They were thugs plain and simple.  According to the dictionary, a thug is someone who commits acts of violence.

The Roman Empire victimized a lot of people in Italy, and in outlying areas around the Italian border. America victimizes it's own citizens, and has a further reach in outlying areas. I don't think, however, the American Empire will last as long as the Roman Empire did.

American citizens has had to learn from Roman citizenship, not because of the rise, but because of the fall. Romans finally pissed enough other people off to create their own demise.

With that said, learning how to handle this country's problems are opportunities to distinguish ourselves. I believe we can do it, EZ! We certainly don't want to piss off some Black Spartacus, with the weapons of today.

Just like in the courtroom, it's credibility that counts. It's not who yields the biggest sword.   :pardon:    

Edited by The Postman, 01 May 2015 - 10:04 AM.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#13 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

That's a real stretch. The only reason thug is being considered a "dog whistle" for the "n" word is because there are those on the left that want to believe that is the intent of the use when describing those in Baltimore who committed acts of arson, theft, and assault during the riots. It's nothing more than an attempt to try to make those who committed those acts out to be victims. Now there are those from the left who want to call them "misguided youths." They knew those acts were breaking the law. They were thugs plain and simple. According to the dictionary, a thug is someone who commits acts of violence.

I believe the intent of the guy who made the statement that the public official who called the people thugs was just to chicken to use the N-word in referencing the miscreants.

Indeed, I was quite interested in the conversation that took place in Baltimore yesterday with Larry Wilmore of the Nightly Show. Seems the 'gangs' were uniting ... to protect the neighborhood - not from thugs, gangs or police - but from the stupid kids (high schoolers and middle schooles) who were too ignorant to control their emotions.

Interesting discussion ... and quite hopeful :)
BR>pubby

#14 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

But then zorro, I understand, you're from that part of society that seeks to divide and pit the regular folks against each other, destroy hope and all that kind of jazz because it fits the agenda of the powers that be.  In that role it is important to be able to call out others with pejoratives whether the particular cat-call is 'liberal, thug, atheist, commie, pinko or queer.'

Let me add that I'm pretty sure that you don't even do this 'consciously'.   I say that because many folks simply emulate the attitudes and discussions from talk radio, Fox News and their myriad of other sources ... all of which portray (and are the prime sources) of our divisive culture.  This is how we've been taught to discuss the issues.

All I was saying in my little lecture on the use of 'pejoratives' was that our discussions will probably be more productive if we don't use them... if every sentence or thought is not predicated on dividing and rather has as its purpose uniting us to solve our problems.

I honestly feel that the effort to speak words like 'compromise, negotiation, and consideration  as  pejoratives is an effort to make our great nation appear as if it cannot be governed in the mistaken belief that if we can't govern ourselves, we will be governed.

pubby

#15 Cranemec

Cranemec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

I didn't choose the Thug life.

The Thug life chose me.

I'm the G the little homies want to be.

• Blondiega1 and lowrider like this

Grandma was a loyal Republican until the day she died. She's voted Democrat ever since.

#16 COWA

COWA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

That's a pretty broad statement. You could fit some LE under that umbrella.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.

For some, such injuries have been inflicted by what is known as a "rough ride" — an "unsanctioned technique" in which police vans are driven to cause "injury or pain" to unbuckled, handcuffed detainees, former city police officer Charles J. Key testified as an expert five years ago in a lawsuit over Johnson's subsequent death.
http://www.baltimore...ory.html#page=1

• The Postman likes this
"For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land."- Deuteronomy 15:11

#17 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

But then zorro, I understand, you're from that part of society that seeks to divide and pit the regular folks against each other, destroy hope and all that kind of jazz because it fits the agenda of the powers that be.  In that role it is important to be able to call out others with pejoratives whether the particular cat-call is 'liberal, thug, atheist, commie, pinko or queer.'

Let me add that I'm pretty sure that you don't even do this 'consciously'.   I say that because many folks simply emulate the attitudes and discussions from talk radio, Fox News and their myriad of other sources ... all of which portray (and are the prime sources) of our divisive culture.  This is how we've been taught to discuss the issues.

All I was saying in my little lecture on the use of 'pejoratives' was that our discussions will probably be more productive if we don't use them... if every sentence or thought is not predicated on dividing and rather has as its purpose uniting us to solve our problems.

I honestly feel that the effort to speak words like 'compromise, negotiation, and consideration  as  pejoratives is an effort to make our great nation appear as if it cannot be governed in the mistaken belief that if we can't govern ourselves, we will be governed.

pubby

So what do you call a thug pubby?

That's a pretty broad statement. You could fit some LE under that umbrella.

You probably could.  Being a thug has nothing to do with race, gender, ethnicity, occupation, or beliefs.  

Golly gee willickers.

#18 cmorg

cmorg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

A pejorative is a pejorative.

So is the 'n-word' (a pejorative) 

I don't know that it is a rule that you have to use either pejorative.

Fact is, we might get further along if we used neither.

pubby

You really believe we would get anywhere at all if we didn't refer to the rioters as thugs?

I call anyone causing trouble a thug.

The idea of "thug" being the new "n word" is simply an attempt by certain groups to redirect the debate.

The fact is these thugs decided they can cause whatever damage they wanted under the guise of being denied justice, though what they really wanted was vengeance.

I will continue to call them thugs . . . if it is an unwelcome term, perhaps they should avoid the behavior (or rather, the misbehavior) that warrants its use.

• Blondiega1, El Zorro, cptlo306 and 1 other like this

---

You are so wonderful. And smart.

#19 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

Interesting word usage there Zorro ... What references objects ... not people. 

I think that is one of the main reasons I tend not to go down that entire path you're on - you know calling names - is that I never really bought into the old ridicule game whether it was calling someone a dummy, idiot, fool, creep, asshole, WOP, chinck, n-word, f-up, MF, SOB ... wait maybe I do use the SOB, MF and f-up language a little but when I do, it really does have an affect. 

I figure when you use the full litany of pejoratives you first off are overly critical in your attitude if for no other reason, sheer volume. Further it never seemed like the way to accomplish much as the words tend to divide folks rather than describe them.

But it really is a basic mind set ... i.e. seeing people as people or as objects.  When you think about it you will understand.

pubby

#20 Cranemec

Cranemec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

You really believe we would get anywhere at all if we didn't refer to the rioters as thugs?

The idea of "thug" being the new "n word" is simply an attempt by certain groups to redirect the debate.

The fact is these thugs decided they can cause whatever damage they wanted under the guise of being denied justice, though what they really wanted was vengeance.

I will continue to call them thugs . . . if it is an unwelcome term, perhaps they should avoid the behavior (or rather, the misbehavior) that warrants its use.

And Doritos.

Edited by Cranemec, 02 May 2015 - 08:52 PM.

Grandma was a loyal Republican until the day she died. She's voted Democrat ever since.

#21 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

That video was quite interesting, Pubby.  I was very impressed with their attitudes.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

#22 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Why can't the focus be on their actions without calling them anything?  Seems to me labeling others and name-calling only inflames and aggravates the situation.  How often have you all seen an insult or put-down change someone's mind here? 

There's a reason it is called childish behavior, you know.

• COWA and jenilyn like this
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#23 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

You know, THUGS is what they are, I say this because that's EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE!!! Did the white people get overlooked somehow?? I saw plenty of white folks on the News reports. Yep, they are THUGS, as well!!!!!  THEIR ACTIONS MAKE THEM THUGS, NOT THEIR SKIN COLOR!!!!

• cmorg and NewsJunky like this
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#24 cptlo306

cptlo306

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:17 PM

Why can't the focus be on their actions without calling them anything?  Seems to me labeling others and name-calling only inflames and aggravates the situation.  How often have you all seen an insult or put-down change someone's mind here? 

There's a reason it is called childish behavior, you know.

The definition of the word thug is as follows:

thug
THəɡ/
noun

1. 1.
    a violent person, especially a criminal.

Seems like a proper thing to call people that are rioting and looting.

• cmorg, El Zorro, Mrs G and 1 other like this
This post is sarcasm.  Unless it's not.

#25 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

The definition of the word thug is as follows:

thug
THəɡ/
noun

1. 1.
    a violent person, especially a criminal.

Seems like a proper thing to call people that are rioting and looting.

Those on the left who have participated in this discussion have proven they will parrot anything that comes from the left.  I will bet that before someone from the left decided that the use of the word thug to describe the rioters in Baltimore was the same as using the n-word, the participants here from the left never once thought using thug was at all racist.

• ApolloBeachRetiree, cptlo306 and NewsJunky like this
Golly gee willickers.

#26 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,911 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

Those on the left who have participated in this discussion have proven they will parrot anything that comes from the left.  I will bet that before someone from the left decided that the use of the word thug to describe the rioters in Baltimore was the same as using the n-word, the participants here from the left never once thought using thug was at all racist.

They get their talking points from the Democrat mother ship, the "Propagandist", every morning.

Edited by ApolloBeachRetiree, 03 May 2015 - 07:36 AM.

• NewsJunky likes this

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Plain and simple.

The Hildabeast IS a despicable CESSPOOL of CORRUPTION.

#27 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,940 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

It's not what word is used as an "N" word, even if it starts with a "T", but rather from what lips it came.

Pecker face (chicken) cop suck on each other's nose. while back shooting black people.    :pardon:

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#28 COWA

COWA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

You probably could.  Being a thug has nothing to do with race, gender, ethnicity, occupation, or beliefs.  

Can you point to an article or post that the word "thug" was used to describe someone that wasn't black? The only exception I find is "union thug".

Rest assured if hooligan starts getting used to describe rioters who are black, it will become another new "n" word.  I'm not surprised thought to see pubby embracing thug as the new "n" word.

If hooligan is singled out to refer to one  race then it is being used as a  racist tool.

The rioters believe that they couldn't get anyone's attention without rioting. The police killings in the past received minimal media attention.

Thug, as a racist term, was used to describe Trayvon Martin. It was used to marginalize the life of a someone that was unjustly killed and in the view of many, murdered. Label him a thug and it dehumanizes his death and desensitizes the public to the loss of black lives. "Thug" as a deragatory racist term was discussed then as itis now.

It was also used to describe the teenagers wrongly convicted of the Central Park jogger attack in the 1980s.

"For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land."- Deuteronomy 15:11

#29 COWA

COWA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

They get their talking points from the Democrat mother ship, the "Propagandist", every morning.

Did the Canadian immigrant who never utters an original thought of his own, just parrot something else from the right wing echo chamber?

Edited by COWA, 03 May 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#30 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Now it appears because the word "thug" was used so much to describe the rioters in Baltimore, there are those who have decided that the word was used to substitute the "n" word.  Now anyone who uses it is being considered a racist.  It seems those who are making this claim think the rioters should be called, "misguided youths."

The first quote in this topic was from .... drumroll ... you Zorro.

And after bringing up the conversation and finding that not everyone agreed with you  - your  point seems to simply paint simplistic perjoratives you think describe all residents of an entire city with a single brush stroke - you hit us with another pejorative - that we're parrots (aka: idiots, sheep, etc.) ...

You're the source of this and, since you made an effort to divide - again using a pejorative - you succeeded.  It is pretty predictable.

As far as the actual term, its continued use just seems divisive.  Divisiveness is your stock and trade. I have to also admit, that even discussing the semantics of the term is a diversion that I'm sure most of us - at least on the left - would rather avoid as it serves no purpose except to divide. 

That you're seeking to divide us on the right wing's exclusive right to use pejoratives at all, I suspect that if we were to start using the term nazi, fascist or tea bagger (similar pejoratives for those on the right) you would object vigorously and indeed have (and I might add justifiably.)

So to recap.  You bring up the use of a pejorative.  You object to the objections of those who claim it is a pejorative that is being increasingly used to substitute for the n-word, you chide, ridicule and denigrate those who disagree with you, and it is all so predictable. 

We really don't need to go down this road ... again ... so consider reforming your approach to the community.

pubby

#31 El Zorro

El Zorro

The Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

The first quote in this topic was from .... drumroll ... you Zorro.

And after bringing up the conversation and finding that not everyone agreed with you  - your  point seems to simply paint simplistic perjoratives you think describe all residents of an entire city with a single brush stroke - you hit us with another pejorative - that we're parrots (aka: idiots, sheep, etc.) ...

You're the source of this and, since you made an effort to divide - again using a pejorative - you succeeded.  It is pretty predictable.

As far as the actual term, its continued use just seems divisive.  Divisiveness is your stock and trade. I have to also admit, that even discussing the semantics of the term is a diversion that I'm sure most of us - at least on the left - would rather avoid as it serves no purpose except to divide. 

That you're seeking to divide us on the right wing's exclusive right to use pejoratives at all, I suspect that if we were to start using the term nazi, fascist or tea bagger (similar pejoratives for those on the right) you would object vigorously and indeed have (and I might add justifiably.)

So to recap.  You bring up the use of a pejorative.  You object to the objections of those who claim it is a pejorative that is being increasingly used to substitute for the n-word, you chide, ridicule and denigrate those who disagree with you, and it is all so predictable. 

We really don't need to go down this road ... again ... so consider reforming your approach to the community.

pubby

Like I said before pubby, a thug is a thug regardless of their color, gender, ethnic background, race, occupation, etc.  You seem to be one who continues to want to make something about race.

Golly gee willickers.

#32 COWA

COWA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

Like I said before pubby, a thug is a thug regardless of their color, gender, ethnic background, race, occupation, etc.  You seem to be one who continues to want to make something about race.

You can run but you can't hide. If you don't want to answer the question just say  so.

Can you point to an article or post that the word "thug" was used to describe someone that wasn't black? The only exception I find is "union thug".

#33 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,191 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

What is the appropriate way to describe what we saw on the news.

Simply say young African American people are rioting and looting?

Would the descriptive then become a bigoted and derogatory term?

I don't think there is any way around the fact that there were no white people joining them.

African American and thug are not synonymous in my mind.

Being honest with myself I ask what do I picture in my mind when I see thug.

So hear it is honestly.

A thug walks around with their hoodie pulled up so it is hard to see them, they often wear dark glasses to hide their identity further. Their pants are almost always sagging. I think they are probably poor and have turned to crime as a way of life.

While I mostly see black youths dressed this way, I have the exact same reaction to any young people dressed this way. I think of it as a uniform so they can identify kindred spirits.

I think the same thing when I see skaters dressed in their garb, same goes for Emos and goth.

I assume that people dress in the manner in which they want to be perceived.

In my mind the Emos, Goth, skaters, and rednecks don't represent a threat to my safety and property,

• lowrider likes this

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#34 CanYouHearMeNow

CanYouHearMeNow

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

Blacks want to say that the "N" word and "Thug" are demeaning to them.

I guess they also don't understand that the term "African-American" also brings a sentiment of separation and is offensive to many Americans.

They want to be called African Americans but then they chant 'Black Lives Matter' and tout 'Black History' month.

African-American is offensive to Americans who are proud to be Americans and don't feel a need to hyphenate their European lineage. 

Some people may not feel that "Thug" isn't demeaning towards blacks. Some people may not be offended by the term "African-American"

We'll stop using the term "Thug" if they'll stop using the term "African-American" as the former is a divisive term to many.

• ApolloBeachRetiree likes this

#35 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,911 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:53 AM

I guess they also don't understand that the term "African-American" also brings a sentiment of separation and is offensive to many Americans.

They want to be called African Americans but then they chant 'Black Lives Matter' and tout 'Black History' month.

African-American is offensive to Americans who are proud to be Americans and don't feel a need to hyphenate their European lineage. 

Some people may not feel that "Thug" isn't demeaning towards blacks. Some people may not be offended by the term "African-American"

We'll stop using the term "Thug" if they'll stop using the term "African-American" as the former is a divisive term to many.

:good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:  :good:

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Plain and simple.

The Hildabeast IS a despicable CESSPOOL of CORRUPTION.

#36 The Postman

The Postman

Bennett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,940 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

White people dress differently, in different cultural settings, and in different uniform. 

Cast.jpgo-SPARTACUS-STARZ-facebook.jpg

#37 COWA

COWA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

If a person is "black", where on the globe would you say he is? Are you equally offended by "Irish-American", "Italian-American", Polish-American", "Ukranian-American", "Jewish-American", "Mexican-American, etc.? African-American gives roots and heritage to people who have had them stripped away.  It gives self-identity and self-esteem to the disenfranchised. The fact that you are offended is due in large part to cultural conditioning.

#38 COWA

COWA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

What is the appropriate way to describe what we saw on the news.

Simply say young African American people are rioting and looting?

Would the descriptive then become a bigoted and derogatory term?

I don't think there is any way around the fact that there were no white people joining them.

African American and thug are not synonymous in my mind.

Being honest with myself I ask what do I picture in my mind when I see thug.

So hear it is honestly.

A thug walks around with their hoodie pulled up so it is hard to see them, they often wear dark glasses to hide their identity further. Their pants are almost always sagging. I think they are probably poor and have turned to crime as a way of life.

While I mostly see black youths dressed this way, I have the exact same reaction to any young people dressed this way. I think of it as a uniform so they can identify kindred spirits.

I think the same thing when I see skaters dressed in their garb, same goes for Emos and goth.

I assume that people dress in the manner in which they want to be perceived.

In my mind the Emos, Goth, skaters, and rednecks don't represent a threat to my safety and property,

Some people wear hoodies up because they have low self-esteem or they just don't want to be bothered. You are misinformed but you cannot be expected to be in the know.  You don't know very many of the people you describe and you probably don't frequent their communities.

#39 CanYouHearMeNow

CanYouHearMeNow

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

If a person is "black", where on the globe would you say he is? Are you equally offended by "Irish-American", "Italian-American", Polish-American", "Ukranian-American", "Jewish-American", "Mexican-American, etc.? African-American gives roots and heritage to people who have had them stripped away.  It gives self-identity and self-esteem to the disenfranchised. The fact that you are offended is due in large part to cultural conditioning.

Whites don't insist on having everyone (e.g. media) refer to them as Irish-American, etc. While we are proud of our heritage we are also proud to be an American. Many blacks aren't actually African-Americans but some are Caribbean-Americans and they get grouped into this 'new' class. I say 'new' because it's probably the 4th name change this racial group has gone through. They've succeeded in coming up with a divisive term this time. Being closely associated with Military or non-Military families for many years, I've found most call themselves Blacks just as we call ourselves Whites. Black American is a more commonly accepted term since it more accurately identifies that race just as White American, or Native American does.

Too many people confuse Race and Ethnicity.  Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this.

• ApolloBeachRetiree likes this

#40 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,393 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

I've seen plenty of white boys I've called "Thug"

Everybody knows what a "Thug" is. some are just wannabe "Thugs"

Remember Bones Thugs N Harmony?  You do know what N.W.A. is, right?  It's okay for them, but not us.

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony is an American hip hop group from Cleveland, Ohio. It consists of rappers Krayzie Bone, Layzie Bone, Bizzy Bone, Wish Bone and Flesh-N-Bone. American West Coast rapper Eazy-E, former member of rap group N.W.A, signed Bone Thugs-n-Harmony to Ruthless Records in late 1993, when Bone Thugs debuted with their EP Creepin on ah Come Up. The EP included their breakout hit single "Thuggish Ruggish Bone".

• Blondiega1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics