• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

Since the start of the year my son (and his 9th grade pals) have lost

1.) their spanish teacher

2.) their algebra teacher

3.) their biology teacher

4.) their "new" algebra teacher

2-4 has happened since returning from Christmas break.

Am I wrong to think this is ridiculous?

Does anyone else feel that there may be an issue with the administration?

• TJB likes this
You have to be nice first. When that doesn't work, you can be mean. Once you've been mean, noone will believe the nice anymore. So be nice, even if it hurts.
More life lessons from Anita:
There are some things more important than physical survival. You've got to be able to look yourself in the mirror.
Guns aren't designed for comfort. It's one of the few things that are worn by men, that are as uncomfortable as a pair of high heels.
Change is inevitable and leading change makes it positive. Availability is not a qualification. Hope is not a strategy. Potato chips are not a vegetable, and hot dogs are not a meat. Feedback is a gift, and anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook because of a disagreement wasn't truly your friend at all.
Posted Image

#2 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

There's always been issues there. I school choiced my grandson to SPHS and its like being in a different world. Something to think about if you can.

#3 Jane Ty

Jane Ty

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

I've looked at the staff turnover for the past year in Paulding County school trying to figure out which part of Paulding to move to this summer and I'll have to say that the only school that had a minimum of staff (that's including teachers, bus drivers etc) leaving was SPHS.  Makes you go hmmm.

I would think it is administration that's to blame and if they can't keep their teachers there long enough that's not a school I want my child in.

• ohmygosh likes this

#4 ohmygosh

ohmygosh

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

Or, another thought, who is hiring these people?  Principals need to look very, very closely at the people they hire, have them write a few paragraphs, look at their social media pages, ask very tough questions about their ideas of teaching, how well prepared are they?  Talk frankly with their last supervisor and on and on.   Not everyone with a teaching certificate is qualified to teach.   My granddaughter had a Spanish teacher who had never been to a Latin country, didn't speak Spanish, but was forced to take the class because the former teacher moved.  She told the students all this, then graded them mostly on geographical maps and culture;  language?  She learned more in preschool.  There are  many reasons teachers leave or are forced out.

• Greatma likes this

#5 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

We're right on the line on Paul Aiken Road off Hwy. 61.  He went to SPMS but they all got split up when it came time for high school and he had to go to PCHS.  I never liked that school and wished I could have school choiced him sooner.

Also where I live there are two elementary schools all within 2 miles from my house, but the way the district line is drawn the children in here are bused all the way over to Poole Elementary, off  Hwy 278 out close to the airport.  The bus that comes for these kids going to Poole is here at 6:30 in the morning.

So we school choiced my 5 year old kindergartner to Nebo Elementary, less than two miles from my house.

Jane Ty I don't know if you have kids that will be going to school here, but be sure to check the district line.

#6 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

And I know lines have to be drawn but I think I could have done this better.  Poole elementary?  Really?.

Seriously, I'm surrounded by elelmentary schools, there's one on Mulberry Rock Road, maybe 3 miles from here, There's Allgood and then Nebo, but they send them to Poole. 

#7 TJB

TJB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

Or, another thought, who is hiring these people?  Principals need to look very, very closely at the people they hire, have them write a few paragraphs, look at their social media pages, ask very tough questions about their ideas of teaching, how well prepared are they?  Talk frankly with their last supervisor and on and on.   Not everyone with a teaching certificate is qualified to teach.   My granddaughter had a Spanish teacher who had never been to a Latin country, didn't speak Spanish, but was forced to take the class because the former teacher moved.  She told the students all this, then graded them mostly on geographical maps and culture;  language?  She learned more in preschool.  There are  many reasons teachers leave or are forced out.

How many of these teachers left because they were harassed by administrators?

#8 Just thinkin' hard

Just thinkin' hard

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

School lines are drawn based upon population density.  It could very well be that in the distance between you and a closer school - there are lots and lots of kids to fill that school with.  I know it sucks.  But, I had a long conversation with the former transportation director about it.  After his and my kids had been redistricted the third or fourth time.  We seem to live at the epicenter of redistricting for some reason.  The last round of redistricting puts my kids at PCHS - about 4.5 miles away instead of Hiram 2.8 miles a day.  

But, this is the beauty of school choice (which is currently open).  If you're at a school that you're not happy with - MOVE YOUR KID.  I know - it's hard - you have to get them there and pick them up.  It sucks.  But, in reality, what's your kid's education worth.  Make the sacrifice.  Figure it out.  Ask your boss for some flexibility.  Do what's right for your kid.  Speak your mind with your feet.  Stop being a victim to what ever the government puts on you.  I know there are alot of kids that carpool to a school choice school.  Or the kid has to get to school early (high school) so that an adult can get off early enough to pick the kid up after school.  Figure out how to make it work.  But, don't just be a victim and complain about the school.  DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

• lowrider, Barbed wire and jenilyn like this
Posted Image

#9 1Novella

1Novella

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Our school choice application was completed within 4 hours of it opening. Fingers crossed.

You have to be nice first. When that doesn't work, you can be mean. Once you've been mean, noone will believe the nice anymore. So be nice, even if it hurts.
More life lessons from Anita:
There are some things more important than physical survival. You've got to be able to look yourself in the mirror.
Guns aren't designed for comfort. It's one of the few things that are worn by men, that are as uncomfortable as a pair of high heels.
Change is inevitable and leading change makes it positive. Availability is not a qualification. Hope is not a strategy. Potato chips are not a vegetable, and hot dogs are not a meat. Feedback is a gift, and anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook because of a disagreement wasn't truly your friend at all.
Posted Image

#10 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,326 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Good for you!

#11 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Since the start of the year my son (and his 9th grade pals) have lost

1.) their spanish teacher

2.) their algebra teacher

3.) their biology teacher

4.) their "new" algebra teacher

2-4 has happened since returning from Christmas break.

Am I wrong to think this is ridiculous?

Does anyone else feel that there may be an issue with the administration?

Don't know about the Spanish teacher, or the biology teacher. But I think my DS must have the same support algebra class. 

He really liked the original teacher, the new one he didn't like at all, and so far with the new teacher he likes him. 

And I know lines have to be drawn but I think I could have done this better.  Poole elementary?  Really?.

Seriously, I'm surrounded by elelmentary schools, there's one on Mulberry Rock Road, maybe 3 miles from here, There's Allgood and then Nebo, but they send them to Poole. 

You must live right around the corner from me. Nebo was awesome when DS went there. SPMS was great too. But, apparently we have been very lucky with the teachers, and special ed teachers he has had. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics