3 replies to this topic

#1 Marteen-J

Marteen-J

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Is there no effort to prefer american contractors and companies for doing business with the county? Does anyone know of an "official" policy for or against local or U.S. companies in county business?

The reason i ask ---- in reference to the recent open bid for a new school website/portal, this is the second time i have noticed a county contract with no preference given to local, U.S. or minority companies.  Is this the norm?     (other surrounding counties have a preferential system and proudly state it)

here is the Q&A from the web hosting RFP,  particularly questions 15, 16, 17, etc:

http://www.paulding....osting Q A.pdf

here is the original RFP:

http://www.paulding....RFP 15-0122.pdf

#2 Just thinkin' hard

Just thinkin' hard

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:26 PM

Did you miss this whole section?

Local Supplier/Contractor The Board of Education finds that local suppliers and contractors support the economy of Paulding County, Georgia and therefore the School District by employing Paulding County residents, contributing time and resources to local efforts, and by paying taxes to local governments. Therefore, it is a policy of this District that consideration be given to local suppliers and contractors as set forth herein. Whenever purchases are to be made using competitive quotes or bids and the most competitive quote or bid was submitted by a non-local supplier or contractor and an otherwise conforming quote or bid was submitted by a local suppliers or contractor, as that term is defined herein, whose quote or bid is within 2% or less of the most competitive quote or bid, the District shall notify the local supplier or contractor on the business day following the opening of the quote or bid of the most competitive quote or bid and give the local supplier or contractor one business day to match the quote or bid. Should the local supplier or contractor agree to match the quote or bid, it will be considered by the Superintendent in making his recommendation to the Board of Education. 7 For the purposes of this policy “local” shall mean any individual, Georgia corporation, Georgia partnership, or other Georgia business entity who, at the time said individual or entity submits a quote or bid to the District, and for a period of 90 days or more prior thereto, has its principal place of business, as determined by the District, in Paulding County, Georgia. The District shall consider all factors that it deems relevant in its determination of whether an individual or entity is local. These factors may include, but shall not be limited to, the following: 1. Whether the individual or entity holds a business license in Paulding County, Georgia; 2. Whether the individual or entity has an office in Paulding County, Georgia; 3. Whether the individual(s) owner is a resident of Paulding County, Georgia; 4. Whether the owner or owners of an entity are residents of Paulding County, Georgia; 5. Whether the individual or entity employs residents of Paulding County, Georgia; and 6. Whether the individual or entity owns property in Paulding County, Georgia. 

Posted Image

#3 Marteen-J

Marteen-J

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

thanks, i missed that --- eyes glaring over looking at various proposals

#4 Just thinkin' hard

Just thinkin' hard

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

But, in my opinion, there shouldn't just be preference for local, state, or US companies - there should be a demand for it.  And, a demand for it at all levels.  Nothing chaps me more than buying a Boy Scout uniform from the Boy Scouts of America and finding the Made in China label.  This was a similar outrage that I felt when in the 80's-90's you could find US Army (real ones) with Made in (somewhere else) labels in them.  When our biggest purchasers of products (the various government agencies) aren't buying US made stuff, it's not wonder our local industries didn't make it.

• The Sound Guy, NewsJunky and gog8tors like this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics