yo! ×
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Christine0402

Scarves & Chemo Caps

My mom was diagnosed with cancer today.

Words I wish I never had to say.

The surgeon is sending her to an oncologist next week. He did say that he thought it would be treatable, but she would have to have radiation and chemotherapy.

Aside from being shocked and crying my eyes out, I want to do something to help her. She is very nervous about losing her hair and she thinks she will "look like a boy" with no hair. I told her that they sell pretty head scarves and chemo caps that she can get. I'd like to buy her a few but I don't know where to go and what to look for. Any recommendations? I looked on Amazon but there are so many types that it is overwhelming. Have any of you tried some that you would recommend? Where would you recommend that I shop for them? I know that Kennestone had a women's shop but I'm guessing the ones there are expensive. Would a regular bandanna work? Does insurance typically cover head covers?

Thank you in advance.

My wife just had radiation up at Paulding Radiation and they had a nice assortment there. This stuff is very treatable and she can whip it. Prayers for all concerned.

• Like 1

At the clinic that my mother went to in Rome, they had a wig exchange where people would use and return their wigs, then they were cleaned and sanitized and made available to others going through treatment.

• Like 2

My mom just finished chemo. I bought her some scarves that were Bohemian headwraps. I found them at Ulta. I think Plum Fancy had some also. You could also try www.headcovers.com. I didn't order anything from them but their prices are much cheaper than any I have found.

She got a wig at Merle Norman in Hiram.

You might also contact Loving arms cancer outreach. They have many resources for cancer patients.

Prayers for you and your family

• Like 1

The American Cancer Society has a good website, www.tlcdirect.com. They have wigs, turbans and scarves. I got my wig at Merle Norman in Hiram - they are great! Synthetic wigs hold up better than real hair and they are very easy to care for.

Make sure she as something in place before her hair actually starts to fall out so she won't be caught off guard. My hair is very thin now, but I haven't lost it all.

Love and prayers to you and your mom.

• Like 2

My mom just finished chemo. I bought her some scarves that were Bohemian headwraps. I found them at Ulta. I think Plum Fancy had some also. You could also try www.headcovers.com. I didn't order anything from them but their prices are much cheaper than any I have found.

She got a wig at Merle Norman in Hiram.

You might also contact Loving arms cancer outreach. They have many resources for cancer patients.

Prayers for you and your family

I understand Loving Arms is absolutely awesome!

• Like 1

In 2011 I had radiation as well as chemo (6 weeks of daily radiation, 18 weeks of chemo) and never lost my hair.

When I went to my orientation session, we were told hair loss was dependent on the type of chemotherapy used; those of us having weekly chemo treatments probably would experience little to no hair loss and those have treatments every 21 days probably would probably lose their hair after the second treatment.

With that said, The Cancer Center at Northside (where I had my radiation treatments) usually had some colorful handmade caps and scarves for patients that were free for patients. There was a goup of ladies that made them and donated them to the center.

With regards to wigs, contact her insurance company to see if her plan will pay for a wig if needed. Some will, some won't. The American Cancer society should have information on where cancer patients can get reasonably priced wigs, scarves, and turbans. Her oncologist's office might have information, as well.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your prayers and suggestions. You have given me a lot of information to start with. I am very thankful for that! I have taken note of each of the suggestions that you have made. This is all very new to us and we have a lot to learn. And your prayers mean SO much.

Mom has an appointment with the oncologist on Wed when we should know more about her diagnosis, treatment, and what to expect. All prayers are appreciated.

Thank you again.

So sorry about your mom. Prayers for her recovery and for your family as they're supporting her through it. Kennestone hospital's women's center has a wig shop and lots of options.

I also agree with looking at kennestone hospital in their special cancer shop. I had a friend whom we gave a hat party for, she was so happy with all of her new choices. but she especially loved her red hat. also think about a nice, soft throw. one small enough to take along in the car or perhaps even for treatments. to use for comfort and chilly days and rooms. best of luck to ya'll.

Thank you, everyone. Your suggestions, words of encouragement, and prayers mean a lot to us. Mom has an appointment on Wed with the oncologist and we will learn more then. She's taking the news better than I am.

I'm so sorry about your mom, Rookie. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

Thank you, Dana.

You're very welcome, hon. Please update us on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Thank you. I am heading out to pick mom up now. I am freaked out. Praying for some good news. Or at least some not-so-bad news. Will update later. Hugs to you all.

Well, I am happy to report that today's appointment went better than we had anticipated. Mom has what they suspect to be Stage II cancer, but they expect that she will make a full recovery!!! She will need further tests to be sure, and the treatments will not be easy, but all that matters is that she is here and healthy in the end. She will have chemo & radiation every day for 5 weeks. Please continue to keep her in your prayers. They mean a lot to us.

Well, I am happy to report that today's appointment went better than we had anticipated. Mom has what they suspect to be Stage II cancer, but they expect that she will make a full recovery!!! She will need further tests to be sure, and the treatments will not be easy, but all that matters is that she is here and healthy in the end. She will have chemo & radiation every day for 5 weeks. Please continue to keep her in your prayers. They mean a lot to us.

So happy to hear the good news! You, your mom, and family will continue to be in my prayers. She's lucky to have such a caring daughter to be by her side while she whips cancer's butt. Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

Thank you for your nice words, Dana. It feels so strange for our roles to be reversing now as we both get older. And I still cannot get used to the fact that my Mom has cancer. Hopefully I won't get too used to it! She starts treatment in two weeks and should last five weeks. So in seven weeks, we are having a party! :)

• Like 1

Rookie, I understand. My mom has always been very active and healthy. Her diagnosis was very surprising. Her cancer was found by chance. I remember walking into those appointments with her and I really wanted to turn around and run.

For a while,I woke up every morning and said to myself "Wow, my mom has cancer." It would hit me all over again. Just know that you will get passed this. Your mom is fortunate to have you to help her through this.

• Like 2

If she is going for chemo at the Paulding office of Northwest Ga Oncology, there are wigs and scarfs to choose from for free. Also have resource books. Loving Arms is great as well.

• Like 1

My wife used Northwest Georgia for her care and they are great. We did her radiation at the Paulding center and Dr Mim is a great lady.

• Like 1

Thank you all. It is all surreal right now. The treatments are going to be tough on her, especially since she weighs very little. She is being treated at NorthWest Georgia Oncology and will have all the treatments at the Kennestone campus. Everyone we met yesterday was very nice and we felt comfortable with their care.

If she is going for chemo at the Paulding office of Northwest Ga Oncology, there are wigs and scarfs to choose from for free. Also have resource books. Loving Arms is great as well.

Thank you, RedRose. I did not know about this. We don't meet with the radiologist until next week, but Mom and I walked over to the radiology area and checked it out. We saw that they had a basket for free fuzzy socks to keep patients' feet warm which we thought was sweet. There were also tons of books available to borrow, magazines, information packets, etc. We loved the garden and deli, as I will be accompanying Mom on most of her treatments and it will be nice for me when I need to get up and stretch my legs. Everything was nice and clean and makes a not-so-enjoyable visit a little more easy.

• Like 2

I bought a cotton scarf I liked, then picked out materials for a friend to make me a few more in the colors I wear. I had a longer wrap around tie and made a sassy bow on the side. I also bought a soft, knit hat to wear around the house and to sleep in. I hated the feel of a wig, so didn't get one. The drs, nurses, staff at the offices are the kindest ones I've ever known. They choose to work in oncology, so their heart is there with you. My best to you and your dear mom.

• Like 1

My oncologist's office gave us a lightweight duffle bag to take to our treatments. It contained a fleece blanket, socks, cap, insulated lunch tote, and water bottle, with enough room left for a kindle, laptop, books, anti nausea meds, etc. it really came in handy because all of my stuff was in one place.

The chemo lounge had free wifi, so it was nice to toss on the blanket and surf the net while I was there.

• Like 2