Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
lescook

Late night talk show hosts.

Since its debut back in the mid 50s, the late night talk show has been a constant in our lives.

The number of people who have been late night talk show hosts is amazing.

From arguably the best of the lot, Johnny Carson, down to some who were just not cut out for that role, Pat Sajak, Chevy Chase and Jerry Lewis come to mind, we have had a plethora of men and women try there hand at entertaining us after the 11 o'clock news.

Out of all the choices available who would you say are the top three late night talk show hosts and why?

Here are my top three:

1. Johnny Carson - the absolute master of the genre.

Carson took what came before him, improved on it and made it his own.

Whether interviewing a major star, a housewife with a potato that look like a famous person, an author, a scientist or politician, Carson was able to make it interesting, funny and still make his guests look their best.

His monologue told us what was happening in our country, who was up, who was down and once caused a national toilet paper crisis.

The man was hands down the best ever.

2. Steve Allen - The first and one of the best.

Steve not only set the standard for late night talk show hosts, many of his bits are still used today.

The man in the street interviews, Carnac the Magnificent, Aunt Blabby, Art Fern, funny headlines, Letterman's Velcro and other stunts are all taken from straight from things Steve Allen did back in the mid and late 50s.

An innovator, who rarely gets the credit he deserves.

3. Jack Parr - The man who invented the nightly monologue.

Parr was always interesting, entertaining and funny.

Perhaps no one was better at doing an interview than Jack.

• Like 2

If you are talking strictly "late night" then my favorite is/was/always will be Letterman. Admittedly he was a lot funnier when he was younger but I'm loyal and I'm going to stick with him.

If you add in the daytime talk show hosts, I always liked Mike Douglas.

Edited by SusieQ404

I agree about Carson. I didn't mind Leno. I think Letterman is the biggest waste of air time the TV industry has had, up until Jimmy Kimmel.

• Like 1

The best late night folks, are gathered up on P.com. They just don't stay up late.

I have heard some of the funniest cheeze, I've ever heard in my life; right here on P.com!

Edited by The Postman

Merv Griffin may be up there too?

Another question ... why do all the current late night hosts have to be from Scotland ... Ireland ... Great Britain?

Merv Griffin had an afternoon talk show for 21 years. He did get a late night talk show that went up against Johnny Carson, but the show was a disaster.

I remember sneaking into the den one night after everyone went to bed to watch Tiny Tim get married on The Tonight Show.

Edited by El Zorro

Merv Griffin had an afternoon talk show for 21 years. He did get a late night talk show that went up against Johnny Carson, but the show was a disaster.

I remember sneaking into the den one night after everyone went to bed to watch Tiny Tim get married on The Tonight Show.

I figured you like Tiny Tim, E Z!

Carson way ahead of everyone else and could get the most out of any guess or skit.

Then Jimmy Fallon (can be very funny and reminds of Carson a little)and believe or not Dick Cavett (very intelligent with a sense of humor).

Have always got up early between 4:30 - 5:30 am whether in school or working. Never had the life style to watch late night. However that does not mean I never watched late night shows. From my admittedly limited knowledge Carson was the King. JMO.