Paulding.com

There is a very trashy house I go by every day in East Paulding. Where do I report such a mess?

So glad somebody finally posted about this. I'm surprised the neighbors haven't reported it as a health hazard with all the trash. And if I'm not mistaken, the house isn't even quite 10 years old. It was built to replace one that burned down I think about 8 or 9 years ago. I figured it was abandoned for one reason or another, but a couple of months ago I saw a girl or woman at the door accepting a delivery pizza. Wonder what the deal is.

I just got a call from my next door neighbor who had been at the Marshal's office about this same house. This is the information I just got:

The house is unoccupied, no power or water. There is no mortgage. The taxes are current. The owners live in an apartment in Marietta.

Currently the Marshal's Office has more than 20 complaints on file about this property, along with the two train-wrecks next to it. The Marshal has the owner's address and phone numbers, but they won't answer the phone or the door. The entire house is FULL of the black bags that are spilling out of the garage. There is a swimming pool in the back yard that is unfenced, in addition to the litter. Major infraction.

Apparently the citations have to be handed to the owner ON the property, and they can't catch them there. The Marshal told my neighbor that they would appreciate a phone call any time anyone sees any activity at that property so that they can get an officer enroute. Apparently, the potential fines from the first set of citations would be about $3,000, and about $10,000 if he failed to clean the property after the first set of citations. Apparently there is no mechanism in place to condemn the place and take a bulldozer to it.

• Like 1

I just got a call from my next door neighbor who had been at the Marshal's office about this same house. This is the information I just got:

The house is unoccupied, no power or water. There is no mortgage. The taxes are current. The owners live in an apartment in Marietta.

Currently the Marshal's Office has more than 20 complaints on file about this property, along with the two train-wrecks next to it. The Marshal has the owner's address and phone numbers, but they won't answer the phone or the door. The entire house is FULL of the black bags that are spilling out of the garage. There is a swimming pool in the back yard that is unfenced, in addition to the litter. Major infraction.

Apparently the citations have to be handed to the owner ON the property, and they can't catch them there. The Marshal told my neighbor that they would appreciate a phone call any time anyone sees any activity at that property so that they can get an officer enroute. Apparently, the potential fines from the first set of citations would be about $3,000, and about $10,000 if he failed to clean the property after the first set of citations. Apparently there is no mechanism in place to condemn the place and take a bulldozer to it.

Thanks for the update.

One of the questions that was asked of the Marshal was, "if the property has no mortgage, then why are the owners paying rent to live somewhere else?" The answer was that there is NO room in the house to actually live because of all the junk piled up.

I bet you would work for the Marshal's office for fairly cheap delivering those citations.

They should look into hiring you.

This past Summer, my mother had to call the Marshal's office about the debris/trash (old mattresses, etc) sitting out in front across from her house. They asked for her name, she told them to forget about it. The debris/trash sat out there (close to the street) for about three months. I have seen the Marshal vehicles passing by!

My step-father would have offered to help the (former) neighbour take debris/trash to the dump. But the guy was so upset that my parents wouldn't let him borrow their garden tractor to mow his grass. My step-father told him he would mow it for him and he didn't like it. He wasn't gentle with stuff he borrowed.

... they would appreciate a phone call any time anyone sees any activity at that property...

I pass by there 2 to 6 times a day. Occasionally I see a van from a business in Marietta parked there.

Can someone post the number for me to call with needed info like the address or case number, and I will call anytime I see the van there.

It blows me away that we have a codes enforcement department that hands are tied when there's an eye sore and possible health hazard visible on a main road in our county.

• Like 2

Back in April, 2013, my son-in-law cleaned out my garage for me. I had an old bookcase and several boxes of stuff that he sat on the curb for the garbage pick-up. This was on a Sunday afternoon. On Monday, the garbage people didn't pick the stuff up. On Tuesday I had a card left by the Marshall's office requesting phone call. They were very rude and told me I had 24 hours to get rid of the stuff or I would be slapped with a fine. They did not give a flip that I had just had shoulder surgery the week before and had no one, at that particular time, to help me do anything with the stuff. It wasn't even very much at all, and was not even unsightly. Everything was packed very neatly in boxes, except for the bookcase. I had to drag everything back into my garage, in the rain, and reinjured my shoulder in the process. I can't believe they won't be more aggressive with someone who has such a mess at their house, especially if they know where the owner lives.

Back in April, 2013, my son-in-law cleaned out my garage for me. I had an old bookcase and several boxes of stuff that he sat on the curb for the garbage pick-up. This was on a Sunday afternoon. On Monday, the garbage people didn't pick the stuff up. On Tuesday I had a card left by the Marshall's office requesting phone call. They were very rude and told me I had 24 hours to get rid of the stuff or I would be slapped with a fine. They did not give a flip that I had just had shoulder surgery the week before and had no one, at that particular time, to help me do anything with the stuff. It wasn't even very much at all, and was not even unsightly. Everything was packed very neatly in boxes, except for the bookcase. I had to drag everything back into my garage, in the rain, and reinjured my shoulder in the process. I can't believe they won't be more aggressive with someone who has such a mess at their house, especially if they know where the owner lives.

That's really curious, in that the Marshal's office never acts without a complaint from the public. One of your neighbors must be a real busy-body.

What happens if it gets infested with rats, the county still won't do anything?

Then it becomes a health dept issue.

In order the marshall's office to do anything more drastic about it I think they have to file suit against the owners and can't touch it until the judge grants them possession.

Maybe they are running some kind of illegal operations out there?

Meth lab?

Maybe the health dept. will send someone over to check it out if the callers say they saw rodents running around there? :)

Edited by Brian

There are hundreds of bags of garbage outside and coming out of the garage.

We have 4 houses like this in our subdivision...the Marshals office will not do anything about them. Current owners live outside the county. (I gave contact info to them and nothing has happened)

We have 4 houses like this in our subdivision...the Marshals office will not do anything about them. Current owners live outside the county. (I gave contact info to them and nothing has happened)

And even if the Marshal's office would write a ticket, you can be assured that "Judge" Valbuena would dismiss it. Been down that road before. I once had a Marshal tell me "what's the use of citing somebody? It will get dismissed anyway."

Can you all remember the house/satellite dish sales place on 92 right in front of West Ridge Church that burned? It was more than 2 years before that mess got cleaned up. Remember the building at E. Paulding and Mt. Tabor Church Rd that burned? It was close to 7 years before they hauled the last of the rubble off from that. one. I also remember a house that burned in one of the subdivisions off of Brooks Rackley Rd. Only thing that was left standing was the front wall where the front door was. It must have sat that way for several years.

So, expecting the Marshal's office or Paulding's "legal" system to protect our property values is just peeing into the wind.

So why did we hire this guy ?

gallery_2_509_5562.jpg

Hiram Hires Code Enforcement Officer to Address Blight and Code Compliance

The City of Hiram welcomes a new addition to the Hiram team, Cliff McGrady, who will be assuming the lead role in our Code Enforcement initiatives.

Wouldn't that just be for the city of Hiram?

• 3 weeks later...

One- the bank owned the house next door and the Marshall Dept. had no problem issuing a notice to clean it up. Two- why would one NOT want to give their name when filing a complaint? Three- The Marshall's Department does a fantastic job cleaning, or getting someone to clean, up yards. They got our empty, abandoned house next door cleaned up and it stayed that way. All it took was a very pleasant phone call.

Someone can get the ball rolling with this information:

INSTRUCTIONS ON FILING COMPLAINT WITH THE MARSHALL'S OFFICE: http://www.paulding.gov/DocumentCenter/View/95

PUT THIS IN THE GRAY BOX ALONG WITH A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE HAZARDS/CONDITIONS:

2003 Zoning Ordinance of Paulding County as amended (see page 29)

Article 6. Sec. D. REMOVAL OF DESTROYED BUILDINGS.

Any dwelling which is damaged beyond repair by fire, natural or manmade disaster shall be removed and disposed of in accordance with provisions of the Standard Unsafe Building Abatement Code as adopted by the State of Georgia. http://www.paulding.gov/DocumentCenter/View/525

Soooooooooooo, for anyone that passes by this house on a regular basis, have you noticed the notice tacked up on/beside the door? It's on orange paper and reminds me of the type the county uses for zoning notices, etc.

(I noticed that I, without meaning to, tried to use any form of the word "notice" as many times as possible in my post.)