#1 Crossroads Welcome Service

Crossroads Welcome Service

Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

How do you Persuade/Bribe your children to CLEAN THIER ROOM?! wacko.gif

I'm going to scream; OK, I already did, but it didn't work.

I've tried it all I think: no allowance until it's clean, trip for ice cream when it's clean, because I said so, that's why!, etc

Please help with any ideas
huh.gif

#2 lacey

lacey

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:02 PM

When you figure that one out, then please let us all know. wacko.gif

#3 WineShopatHome

WineShopatHome

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

We took all of their toys and put them in trash bags and put them in the garage ready for trash pickup. Did they go? No. But the girls knew we meant business the next time we had to tell them to clean their rooms.

#4 dogwood

dogwood

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:06 PM

Did that one, too!

Worked like a charm!

#5 Buninoven215

Buninoven215

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

My 5 yr knows that if I ask him to clean his room and he comes back and tells me that it is clean. I will give him a second chance to go check before I do. When I go check anything that is left on the floor that does not belong gets taken away. It has really worked. I actually hide the toys and eventually he will go through a spell where he does it with out asking and then I will return something that I had to take away.

We are now working on turing off his TV when he is not in his room. If I hear it and he is not in his room watching it, I will say "I think I hear a TV that no one is watching" He will either go watchit or turn it off. He knows that if it is left on and he is outside I will take it out of his room. The what would he do? No Tv to watch or playstation. It would be terrible in his eyes. Sorry for the long version, but thats what I do.

#6 workingforaliving

workingforaliving

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,919 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:16 PM

My parents used a belt. Worked like a charm.
Posted Image

#7 WineShopatHome

WineShopatHome

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (cldaniell @ Jun 20 2005, 08:02 PM)
My 5 yr knows that if I ask him to clean his room and he comes back and tells me that it is clean. I will give him a second chance to go check before I do. When I go check anything that is left on the floor that does not belong gets taken away. It has really worked. I actually hide the toys and eventually he will go through a spell where he does it with out asking and then I will return something that I had to take away.

We are now working on turing off his TV when he is not in his room. If I hear it and he is not in his room watching it, I will say "I think I hear a TV that no one is watching" He will either go watchit or turn it off. He knows that if it is left on and he is outside I will take it out of his room. The what would he do? No Tv to watch or playstation. It would be terrible in his eyes.  Sorry for the long version, but thats what I do.

We have taken the tv, too. It's amazing the things that get done around the house.

I have started giving my girls 1 chore a day during school and 2 chores a day during the summer. If they get their chore done on the assigned day, I pay them a quarter. It doesn't sound like a lot I know but if they do their chores everyday then they will have $1.75 plus I give them a $3.25 bonus. They are slowly learning that if they don't do the chore on the assigned day they will still have to do it and not get paid for it. They really hate it when they have skipped 3 days worth of work and only get paid for one. Darn!!!

#8 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,871 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Crossroads,

It depends on how old they are.

We've had one who refused all summer. She sat in her room doing nothing rather than clean it. (Age 11 or so.)

Over all, it's going to depend on the child. Each one is motivated by something different.

Today, when they ask if they can do something, the answer is usually the same as the question "Is your room clean."
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#9 retiredteacher

retiredteacher

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

My two boys are both have ADD and when they were little the oldest one could never get his room clean. Finally, I helped him clean it and took pictures of what it looked like and put them on his wall.

After that he used the pix to remember where everything went and he got much better at keeping it straight.

Also, I would have my boys check each other's room before I did. They were lots pickier than I was!

RIP sweet Ashton. We will never forget you.

#10 WTA

WTA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

When I really want my kids room clean, (the right way) I usually offer to help. My daughter really loves the time I spend with her in "her world". After that she usually keeps it clean for a while. My sons room is usually clean (sort of) because he keeps the play room a mess blink.gif . ... It is a struggle. But, when I don't have time to help (or energy) I offer to take them somewhere that I know they really want to go. The key is I give them a deadline. (keeping in mind that they will go passed the deadline sleep.gif )

Anyway, that is how it works or doesn't work at our house.

~BOOMER SOONER~

Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead

The artist formerly known as ~Shawna~

#11 katcol

katcol

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

We haven't exactly done this yet but it sounds like a great idea.

Strip the room of all toys other than a precious few. I'll let my kids pick about 15-20 toys including everything. The toys being put up are to be put into boxes.

For each week that they keep what they have picked up, they can have a box returned to them. If that creates too much chaos, they have to put the most recent box back up. At some point they will have to choose which toys are really worth the effort.

My daughter has already brought me a ton of stuff to put up. We still have alot more to remove, though.

Good Luck!!!!
Posted Image

#12 Crossroads Welcome Service

Crossroads Welcome Service

Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

All of these are great! Thanks for the ideas.

My daughter spent 5 hours today (off & on during trips downstairs to ask me to help her) on cleaning her closet - JUST HER CLOSET FIRST. When we finally checked it, it still wasn't clean!

She gets lonely & overwhelmed (she's 7). She usually is the clean one, but over the past year she has really slacked off. Maybe it's her age?

I promised her that tomorrow I would help her sort through the toy box (that won't close) to see what we can donate to a daycare or goodwill.

As for my son, he doesn't consider corners to be part of cleaning his room (9 year old). Thank God he has a loft bed now, so he cannot hide things under his bed anymore.

Please keep more ideas coming; I can use as many as possible. wink.gif

#13 WTA

WTA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

I just remembered something I did when my kids were that age.

I would break it down for them. I would tell them to go pick up 10 items in 10 minutes and put them away where they belong. They had a since of accomplishment for that. Then I would give them a few minutes of free time and then I would send them back into battle. Maybe the next time would be 8 items in 8 minutes. Then maybe all the dirty clothes in the hamper in 7 minutes. It breaks it down without overwhelming them.

(I wish someone would break it down so that I am not overwhelmed ~grin~)

Good luck!!! I remember those days!!

~BOOMER SOONER~

Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead

The artist formerly known as ~Shawna~

#14 njills

njills

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (crossroadswelcome @ Jun 20 2005, 08:24 PM)

My daughter spent 5 hours today (off & on during trips downstairs to ask me to help her) on cleaning her closet - JUST HER CLOSET FIRST. When we finally checked it, it still wasn't clean!

She gets lonely & overwhelmed (she's 7). She usually is the clean one, but over the past year she has really slacked off. Maybe it's her age?

I promised her that tomorrow I would help her sort through the toy box (that won't close) to see what we can donate to a daycare or goodwill.

As for my son, he doesn't consider corners to be part of cleaning his room (9 year old). Thank God he has a loft bed now, so he cannot hide things under his bed anymore.

Please keep more ideas coming; I can use as many as possible.  wink.gif

#15 ANG

ANG

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ always worked for me biggrin.gif

#16 Gem Man 86

Gem Man 86

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:43 PM

workingforaliving: My parents did the same thing. I'm not sure what made me finally keep my room clean. Now it is relatively clean all the time.

The taking the toys out thing only had to be done with my sister. That didn't work...her room is a horrible mess!! biggrin.gif (We are all the same age, 18)

When my brother and I used to live in the same room my parents would put a timer for 1 hour on the dresser and close the door. The room had to be cleaned by that timerís bell. I'm not sure how that worked, but maybe it was the fear of the unknown that made us clean it. Also the faster we cleaned our room the less time we had to spend together.. biggrin.gif Well I'm not sure about that one. biggrin.gif

Peacekeeper,

Gem Man 86

#17 WineShopatHome

WineShopatHome

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (crossroadswelcome @ Jun 20 2005, 09:24 PM)

Please keep more ideas coming; I can use as many as possible.  wink.gif

There must be something about the closet being cleaned first that we adults don't know about. My oldest daughter has cleaned (organized) her closet first for years now. I stopped arguing about it when I realized that I'm saving money if her room isn't cleaned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics