Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
surepip

Suggestions of where to eat ?

OK, we have not eaten out to speak of, beside Jalepeno Joes, in years. We just prefer our food, but as it appears thats not going to be possible for awhile, at least until we have a place to stay with a kitchen, we are going to have to frequent the local dining establishments, fast food, take out, etc.

So whats good and whats not locally ?

Did the Dallas Seafood place at the old Mrs Winners ever get their sticks together?

Years ago we would get chinese from the place on Merchants Square by the old Huddle House, and dragon 168 by the Hiram Kroger. Both used to be pretty good.

Janes on Merchants Drive ?

Is anything in the old Bus Station by the Old Courthouse ?

Longhorns, Texas Roadhouse etc., are too expensive and none will cook me a steak really RARE. Living with REAL Mexicans, most TexMex is not on their list. Mexicans are really quite the food snobs when it comes to mexican food.

Ryans and such buffets just don't ring our bell either.

So what do you suggest ?

• Like 1

Not funny.

This is bad enough on our taste buds.

Grand daughter is already complaining about the fast food instead of Abuelo's dinners [Abuelo is spanish for grandfather].

I wish I could help but I can't think of anything I would go out of my way for in Paulding. Maybe I just haven't been out enough.

For Italian I go to Fusco's in Acworth, and for Cajun I go to Henry's in Acworth. Both are a little pricey. I like Scott's in Cartersville for BBQ. That's the only place I've been able to find a really good vinegar based sauce. When I am having a hankering for Brunswick stew I go to the Rib Ranch in Marietta. If I'm in the mood for fish I go to Marietta Fish Market. Instead of frying everything they will actually boil, broil, bake, or grill. I've never had a bad steak at Cherokee Cattle Company in Marietta. Their prime rib and western luau are both to die for.

Sadly, I just can't tell you anything I would go out of my way for in Paulding.

• Like 1

Mellow Mushroom

They have adult beverages.

I wish El Pollo Loco was still here. I expect to see Del Taco in this part of Georgia sometime within five years from now.

Edited: forgot to add .com after the webpage address.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

Mellow Mushroom

I wish El Pollo Loco was still here. I expect to see Del Taco in this part of Georgia sometime within five years from now.

There's one on Chastain.

Del Taco, that is.

Edited by cmorg
  • Like 1

Some of my favorites (order is random);

Briar Patch

Hickory Hut

Baby Janes

Joan's

Merle's

Waffle House 61 @ 278

Johnny's Pizza West Cobb

La Parrilla West Cobb

Chick-Fil-A 61 @ 278

Charlie's Corner Cafe Downtown Dallas

Martin's

ok, so don't shoot me; BUT Dairy Queen $5 lunch makes a nice burger with fries or onion rings, a drink and a small sundae.

Or; if you have an electric plate in your place; make a side dish; a salad and a rotisserie chicken from the super market

what mojo said you can't beat briar patch's email and text msg specials!!! I love Cuban Delights and the owners are the nicest people!!

• Like 1

Years ago we would get chinese from the place on Merchants Square

I wouldn't go there unless you want food poisioning.

I'm out of places to eat. It all tastes the same. (I can't get rid of this underline thing)

The last time I got take out from Dallas Seafood a couple of months ago, it was good and the health score was good. I just asked for them to fry the shrimp a little longer. Baskets are $9.99 I think, so it's kinda high if you're feeding a lot. And it's kinda heavy on the grease. I always have to take a Pepcid

Mellow Mushroom pizza is the best but very expensive. We get Papa John's take out. Large 2-topping $9.00 and sometimes they have a special on TV, like $7 each.

If it's just you and Melissa go to Ruby Tuesday's and get the salad bar for take out and load the plate with everything you can, plus you get a couple of extra bowls. $9.99 would easily feed two.

That's about all I've got.

The seafood place in mrs winners has closed

Wow! When? I wonder why? I thought he was doing good, he kept adding things, but I admit I haven't been that way in a while.

Surepip, The Irish Bred Pub in Douglasville is very good and not overly expensive. It's a good mix of Irish and English food. My husband and my British neighbors swear by the Shepherds Pie. I like their fish n chips as well as their burgers, but there is quite a bit on their menu and they may even have a website with the menu listed. It's next to Gumbeaux's.

ETA, they do have a menu with price list online.

and i forgot kroger will steam crab and all their seafood for you for free and season it too!!! I'm allergic so i can not cook it for the wife and girls so i watch the sale prices and grab it for dinner when they have crab legs and shrimp cheap!!!

Joan's near the old courthouse. 6-3 seven days a week.

We had heard her praises and finally went on a Saturday for breakfast with the DGD. WHAT a disappointment. DRY biscuits that had obviously been sitting under the heat lamp TOO long. What we got for the 3 of us was EXPENSIVE and not good at all. One and only attempt. Won't be going back.

The seafood place in mrs winners has closed

WHAT??? Are you sure?? When?? Went by there Wed night and all the lights were on and several cars in the parking lot.

I wouldn't go there unless you want food poisioning.

I'm out of places to eat. It all tastes the same. (I can't get rid of this underline thing)

The last time I got take out from Dallas Seafood a couple of months ago, it was good and the health score was good. I just asked for them to fry the shrimp a little longer. Baskets are $9.99 I think, so it's kinda high if you're feeding a lot. And it's kinda heavy on the grease. I always have to take a Pepcid

Mellow Mushroom pizza is the best but very expensive. We get Papa John's take out. Large 2-topping $9.00 and sometimes they have a special on TV, like $7 each.

If it's just you and Melissa go to Ruby Tuesday's and get the salad bar for take out and load the plate with everything you can, plus you get a couple of extra bowls. $9.99 would easily feed two.

That's about all I've got.

I've gotten food poisoning from Captain D's but I wouldn't tell people not to go there because of it. Could have been your system. I can't eat fried shrimp ANYWHERE and that's what gave me food poising. I still go there but don't order the fried shrimp which I LOVED the butterfly shrimp.

Mellow Mushroom

Their white pizza and greek salads are YUMMMM.

We really like Hickory Hut for a good BBQ sandwich. I have heard that Baby Jane's is good and very reasonable but I haven't tried it yet. (Although I believe this is a buffet type joint, and you said those weren't your thing).

Hickory Hut was another place everyone recommended but we went one time YEARS ago and won't go back. NASTY. Explained why so many folks get their food to go there.

Baby Jane's is good but it is a buffet. GOOD and REASONABLE. They have a good breakfast bar on Saturday mornings 7-11 and for two Senior buffets and drink it is $13.01!! Much cheaper than Shoney's breakfast bar and just as good. Their lunch and dinner buffet is also good too. They have a happy hour discount 2-4 and also senior discount for all buffets. Fresh food.

• Like 1

This is the local mellow mushroom:

Pound dough into a circle

Take a ladle of ketchup and spread on dough

Take a hand full of bs cheese and spread over pizza

This creation is created by a sixteen year old who picks his nose on break.

Yuk. The worse.

Pip, you would be offended by this pizza.

• Like 1

Olive Tree

How is their Greek food? I've heard good and bad about them. Would love to get a good Greek pizza and salad.

This is the local mellow mushroom:

Pound dough into a circle

Take a ladle of ketchup and spread on dough

Take a hand full of bs cheese and spread over pizza

This creation is created by a sixteen year old who picks his nose on break.

Yuk. The worse.

Pip, you would be offended by this pizza.

Good reason NOT to get red sauce on any pizza!!

How is their Greek food? I've heard good and bad about them. Would love to get a good Greek pizza and salad.

Honestly, I don't think it's all that good. It never taste the same twice, I don't like the rolls at all, kinda bitter, and it's overpriced. JMHO I haven't been in a couple of years because of that.

Good luck, Pip...the options for good food at decent prices are terribly lacking.

Briar Patch and Hickory Hut are awful, especially the former. Merle's is a bit better but not great....about on par with the new place in downtown Dallas. Best local BBQ I've found within 20 minutes of my house is Ziegler's in Acworth at Mars Hill and 41. The pork actually tastes properly smoked and rubbed instead of boiled and tossed in ketchup (Briar Patch)..their house sauces are great, too.

Chinese we usually go to Imperial Palace at 278 and Business 6. It's nothing to write home about but a decent enough Chinese meal at fair prices....again, imo, even though it's not great it's the best we have around here.

Pizza? As a Chicagoan, this is the most depressing thing about GA...the damn pizza. There's nowhere to go. You might as well get some Papa Johns, Little Ceasers, or a frozen pizza.

Zaxby's and Chik-fil-A are both decent for fast food chicken....though neither hold a candle to the Popeye's in Hiram. If Popeye's actually gets your order right, that is some of the best fast food you'll find in all of Paulding County.

Wings? If you don't want to make the drive to Kennessaw to hit up Wing Stop, I've found that Mia's Cafe Wing Max in Hiram makes pretty good wings. The Dugout, which was located where the Cuban restaurant is now, had the best wings in Paulding....unfortunately they closed down.

I don't do buffets, so can't speak to them.

Taki has the best sushi we've found in Paulding. Again, it's not great but it's the best around here. While it's true you typically want to avoid sushi specials, their weekend lunch sushi specials are a good deal and, considering it's the weekend fish supply, it's not like you're getting old fish. Avoid their hibachi.

Publix subs are fantastic, as are their hot sandwiches. I prefer them over any other sub shop I've ever been to, here or in Chicago.

Kroger's rotisserie chicken is pretty good.

As for Paulding's best kept secret? Uncle Bobe's BBQ located on 278 in the Pike Diesel parking lot. They're only out there on Saturdays and not every Saturday....but if you catch them, good god man....fantastic bbq.

mrnn

Good luck, Pip...the options for good food at decent prices are terribly lacking.

Briar Patch and Hickory Hut are awful, especially the former. Merle's is a bit better but not great....about on par with the new place in downtown Dallas. Best local BBQ I've found within 20 minutes of my house is Ziegler's in Acworth at Mars Hill and 41. The pork actually tastes properly smoked and rubbed instead of boiled and tossed in ketchup (Briar Patch)..their house sauces are great, too.

Chinese we usually go to Imperial Palace at 278 and Business 6. It's nothing to write home about but a decent enough Chinese meal at fair prices....again, imo, even though it's not great it's the best we have around here.

Pizza? As a Chicagoan, this is the most depressing thing about GA...the damn pizza. There's nowhere to go. You might as well get some Papa Johns, Little Ceasers, or a frozen pizza.

Zaxby's and Chik-fil-A are both decent for fast food chicken....though neither hold a candle to the Popeye's in Hiram. If Popeye's actually gets your order right, that is some of the best fast food you'll find in all of Paulding County.

Wings? If you don't want to make the drive to Kennessaw to hit up Wing Stop, I've found that Mia's Cafe Wing Max in Hiram makes pretty good wings. The Dugout, which was located where the Cuban restaurant is now, had the best wings in Paulding....unfortunately they closed down.

Taki has the best sushi we've found in Paulding. Again, it's not great but it's the best around here. While it's true you typically want to avoid sushi specials, their weekend lunch sushi specials are a good deal and, considering it's the weekend fish supply, it's not like you're getting old fish. Avoid their hibachi.

Publix subs are fantastic, as are their hot sandwiches. I prefer them over any other sub shop I've ever been to, here or in Chicago.

As for Paulding's best kept secret? Uncle Bobe's BBQ located on 278 in the Pike Diesel parking lot. They're only out there on Saturdays and not every Saturday....but if you catch them, good god man....fantastic bbq.

mrnn

Not Chicago pizza at all, but if you are looking for good pizza you might try Labella's on Sandy Plains if you are down that way.

For awesome wings and burgers, try BB's Sports Bar & Grill on Ridge Rd. in the Kroger shopping center. They make all of their sauces fresh, your food is cooked to order, never frozen, except for a couple of appetizers. They have some of the best salads, again made when you order. If your looking for fast food, this is not the place. These folks don't make your food until you order it. AND, it is very family friendly...they only serve beer. My family will not eat wings and burgers from anywhere else.

• Like 1

Try Olive Tree again. As far as the Greek honestly not real sure. I eat the Italian. I have tried some Greek especially the salad. Yum!! And the rolls to me are awesome.

• Like 1

mrnn

I've had Taki and it is good, but have you ever tried sushi from Fuji next to Academy? IMO theirs is the best. We usually will get a party tray to go and DH, DD and I make a meal of it.

• Like 1

Mellow Mushroom

I love Del Taco and wish we would get one.

I've had Taki and it is good, but have you ever tried sushi from Fuji next to Academy? IMO theirs is the best. We usually will get a party tray to go and DH, DD and I make a meal of it.

I second this. Fuji is pretty darn good and very reasonably priced as well. Fuji and Mellow mushroom are the only two things in Paulding we look forward to eating out.

Fuji has the best sushi in Paulding IMO. The Chinese place in merchant Square is the worst food I've ever had of any ethnic origin ever. I could make better Chinese food, no really.

Have you ever thought about using restaurant.com? You buy certificates valued at $5, $10 or $25 for $2, $5 or $10 at restaurants that are on their list. We have been using this site for about 5 yrs, now. We have certificates for Happy Hawg BBQ, Olive Tree John's Biscuits n Pizza, Johnny's Pizza and numerous other places. You punch in your zip code and it will tell you what restaurants are in that area. They always have specials and the certificates do NOT expire.

I second this. Fuji is pretty darn good and very reasonably priced as well. Fuji and Mellow mushroom are the only two things in Paulding we look forward to eating out.

Sal's on Cedarcrest has good pizza and decent entrees along with being reasonably priced.

Not sure you have an area to use this but I have one and it is awesome. You can buy the grates to turn it into a regular stove. I've cooked every meal imaginable on it and have used it for canning so the house doesn't heat up. Cheaper than eating out every day, you can use a one lb cylinder or a 20 lb tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000010255-RoadTrip-LXX-Grill/dp/B0078IMV1S#