Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Hopper626

Enterovirus

Heard through the grapevine that we have a sick child at the West GA Academy in Hiram... My friend's daughter is in the child's class... Needless to say, my house will be wiped down with Clorox wipes tonight.

I hope no child travels there before/after school to bring to my kiddo's class :(

Can we PLEASE encourage our teachers to let these kids wash their hands 100x a day if needed, without being told they will miss recess????

Sorry, just venting!!! ... and worried :bad:

I have heard the same thing. Also heard other students were being tested. I started to post it then thought I would wait for more news and confirmation.

Here is a link to the post by Paulding County Uncensored on FBook stating that it is in Hiram, along with other good information in their post. Their post also includes a link to the CDC page about the virus. https://www.facebook.com/PauldingCountyUncensored/photos/a.634262606623491.1073741828.632768026772949/724331017616649/?type=1&theater

I'm not too smart about anything, especially medical stuff.

But, many people were saying that letting the criminals who invaded our country stay and let their kids attend our schools would put our kids at risk to viruses that our kids would not be ready for.

Many other people said, that would never happen.

Now, we have kids through out the country getting sick with something that we hadn't seen on this widespread level before.

I do not know, if we have had any or many outbreaks of this virus here before, but i do know that we have never had it at this level.

When the outbreak started, many people said that it could be deadly.

Other said, you are over reacting, it is not going to kill you.

Now we have the 1st death from the virus.

Some would tell me, look it up, see what they say about the virus, how long it has been in the US, where it came from, how dangerous it is.

My response to that is, depending on what I use for a reference, I will get conflicting information, often diametrically opposing information.

So how is a ole southern boy like me supposed to know what is what.

Well.........it may not be right, it may not be popular, it may be old fashioned, but when it comes to stuff like this, I try and use what common sense I have.

And it goes something like this:

Some people said we would have outbreaks of new diseases in our school systems as a direct result of these criminals attended our schools and being shipped into various states.

Some said it wouldn't happen.

It has happened, exactly like many predicted, therefor I my common sense tells me there those who said it would happen....were right.

Some people said these diseases would be deadly to our children and us and specifically, the one that is going around right now.

Some people said that no one was going to die because of this.

There is a little 5 yr old boy dead because of this, so guess who was right again.

I am always amazed by the government's willingness to gamble with people's health and lives in order to get votes and "feel good".

And I am always amazed that average people, some right here in little ole Paulding County, seem to be able to see and predict what the outcome of something will be, yet...it is always a shocking surprise to those who's jobs it is to know these things.

• Like 4

But, many people were saying that letting the criminals who invaded our country stay and let their kids attend our schools would put our kids at risk to viruses that our kids would not be ready for.

Now, we have kids through out the country getting sick with something that we hadn't seen on this widespread level before.

I do not know, if we have had any or many outbreaks of this virus here before, but i do know that we have never had it at this level.

Some would tell me, look it up, see what they say about the virus, how long it has been in the US, where it came from, how dangerous it is.

My response to that is, depending on what I use for a reference, I will get conflicting information, often diametrically opposing information.

Well.........it may not be right, it may not be popular, it may be old fashioned, but when it comes to stuff like this, I try and use what common sense I have.

Some people said we would have outbreaks of new diseases in our school systems as a direct result of these criminals attended our schools and being shipped into various states.

It has happened, exactly like many predicted, therefor I my common sense tells me there those who said it would happen....were right.

Some people said these diseases would be deadly to our children and us and specifically, the one that is going around right now.

There is a little 5 yr old boy dead because of this, so guess who was right again.

I am always amazed by the government's willingness to gamble with people's health and lives in order to get votes and "feel good".

And I am always amazed that average people, some right here in little ole Paulding County, seem to be able to see and predict what the outcome of something will be, yet...it is always a shocking surprise to those who's jobs it is to know these things.

I am always surprised that the opinion of whether or not the viruses are contagious or will kill you is split down political party lines. Is it that Democrats truly are just that damn dumb?

I am always surprised that the opinion of whether or not the viruses are contagious or will kill you is split down political party lines. Is it that Democrats truly are just that damn dumb?

I've not heard a question about the viruses being contagious or capable of killing you.

There have been a number of deaths from this virus as well as children who have been paralyzed. They have no resistance to it. It should not have been allowed to travel over the border. It is an illegal virus and I don't mean that as a joke.

• Like 2

I've not heard a question about the viruses being contagious or capable of killing you.

There have been six deaths from this year's enterovirus 68 outbreak and there are cases reported in something like 46 of the 48 states.

There seem to be two populations that are particularly vulnerable - children 0-4 and those with pre-existing conditions like asthma.

There have been a number of deaths from this virus as well as children who have been paralyzed. They have no resistance to it. It should not have been allowed to travel over the border. It is an illegal virus and I don't mean that as a joke.

And thank you newsjunky for your assertion that this came over the border.

I know that is the latest meme from the right but what science do you have to back it up.

What I know is that in 2011, the CDC in their daily report of mortality, talked about enterovirus 68. The report noted there were six clusters noted since this specific enterovirus was discovered in California in 1962. Those clusters were discovered in Japan, the Philippines, the Netherlands and ... drumroll ... three in the United States.

The three locations where clusters were found in the US in 2009 - Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona. Both Georgia and Pennsylvania are among the states in play in this year's outbreak but Arizona is among the few states that is not. Oh, Arizona was one of the places where the children the right alleges are responsible for this outbreak came.

Frankly, the fact that the enterovirus 68 has never been documented in central America and like most viruses, including similar rhinoviruses, seem to come and go rather abruptly and in seasons, one can suggest that the theory that this current affliction came over the border with the kids this past summer is pure balderdash.

The scientific evidence - proven by documents published in 2011 citing the known clusters in 2009 all point to this being a virus that is native to the more temperate climates of the northern hemisphere. Second, the toll from the virus - the six children who have died - none were children who were given temporary housing in the kerfuffle and controversy of this summer. If they were the source of the vector there would be some scientific evidence.

Classic enteroviruses have prominent summer-fall seasonality in temperate climates (7,8), and outbreaks of enteroviruses tend to occur in several-year cycles. In the United States, echovirus 9 typically peaks every 3 to 5 years; echovirus 30 occurs irregularly and can remain active for several years (7). In France, HEV68 was associated with an autumnal peak of respiratory tract infections in 2008 (6). The seasonality of the HEV68 clusters described in this report typically fall within or later than the typical enterovirus season in the areas from which cases were reported (Figure) (7).

These recent clusters confirm that HEV68 is associated with outbreaks of respiratory illness severe enough to require hospitalization, and in some cases, might contribute to patient death. New-onset wheezing or asthma exacerbation were notable symptoms. However, in each cluster, respiratory specimens typically were collected from persons who had sought medical care or were hospitalized, which would have biased these reports toward more severe disease.

The spectrum of illness caused by HEV68 remains unclear. HEV68, like other enteroviruses, has been associated with central nervous system disease (9). Further investigation could help clarify the epidemiology and spectrum of disease caused by HEV68. Some diagnostic tests might not detect HEV68 or might misidentify it as an HRV. The gold standard test for HEV68 detection is partial sequencing of the structural protein genes, VP4-VP2 or VP1. Cases in this report were confirmed with this method. However, the sensitivity of multipathogen detection systems for HEV68 detection is unknown. Laboratories using the CDC rhinovirus real-time RT-PCR assay (10) as originally described and as recently modified (forward primer 5'-CPALNAGCCTLNAGCGTGGY-3') should be aware that it might misidentify HEV68 as an HRV and lacks the sensitivity to detect all HEV68 cases.

Clinicians should be aware of HEV68 as one of many causes of viral respiratory disease. Clusters of unexplained respiratory illness should be reported to the appropriate public health agency. Local or state health departments may contact the CDC for assistance with laboratory diagnostics or consultation through the Unexplained Respiratory Disease Outbreak network

Enterovirus 68 is a serious condition and while it will present itself as a bad cold that last about a week for most kids, the very young and those with asthma are at particular risk for more serious complications.

To try to put any political spin on this makes about as much sense as Cotton Mather blaming the pox that infected Salem on witches.

pubby

I still say that this strain will eventually be traced to illegals who brought it with them over the border. The worst cases for American children appear to be in Colorado. A number of the UAC were settled in Colorado. Do I trust the same government that is keeping our border open for them to cross over to tell the truth about it? Absolutely not!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-06/doctors-target-virus-as-link-to-solve-polio-like-illness.html

• Like 2

Frankly, the fact that the enterovirus 68 has never been documented in central America and like most viruses, including similar rhinoviruses, seem to come and go rather abruptly and in seasons, one can suggest that the theory that this current affliction came over the border with the kids this past summer is pure balderdash.

pubby

http://www.virologyj.com/content/10/1/305

8)

• Like 1

As a nurse for more than 25 years I can assure you I have seen alot of viruses and bacteria. They do not discriminaate as to color or ethnicity. They become rampant in many areas due to lack of knowledge. Viruses are live. They are broken down into 2 main groups enveloped and nonenveloped. Entervirus is a common virus that strikes every fall moat people blame it on allervies. This form is a mutation and was first discovered in 1962. Because all viruses are live they all can mutate. This is a mutation. The best defense to any virus is a good offense..A healthy immune system. Eat well wash hands often take a good multivitamin, get enough sleep and stay home when your sick. Over the years i have been exposed to active tb, strepp, staph a, vre, mrsa and never once succumbes to exposure. Unenveloped viruses as rhis one is as ebola is and norovirus can live outside the body for days. They thrive in warm moist environments where lots of people get together. A common sense approach is your best defense. Wash hands multiple times with vigor at least 2minutes. If thaata not practical use hand sanitiser. Wipe down common surfaces with bleach or lysol. Pay particular attention to counters door handles faucet handles computer mouses keyboards phones shopping carts.. We are experiencing many new superbugs because like us they have a need to survive. A virus will not take hold of everyone it preys on a weak immune system.washing your hands is the number one rhing you can do to prevent succumbing to a virus or spreading it. If you choose to buy a mask a surgical mask is not effective. You need n95. Not a bad idea to have on hand . Regular hospital gloves can be kept on hand as well as hand soap bleach and lysol. Im not trying to preach just pass info. Panic sets in due to lack of knowledge. Hope this can help someone.

• Like 1

Ebola has taken over Africa due to lack of knowledge , poor economy which equals poor sanitation, and lack of disenfectantts. Lets face it they do not have a Walmart or cvs on every corner and faced with feeding a hungry child or buying bleach the child wins every time. Also there have been less death since the culfural prActice of kissing the deceased(who are still very much infected) has been stopped. It is not the people it is lack of knowledge that continues the spread of viruses.

• Like 1

Ebola has taken over Africa due to lack of knowledge , poor economy which equals poor sanitation, and lack of disenfectantts. Lets face it they do not have a Walmart or cvs on every corner and faced with feeding a hungry child or buying bleach the child wins every time. Also there have been less death since the culfural prActice of kissing the deceased(who are still very much infected) has been stopped. It is not the people it is lack of knowledge that continues the spread of viruses.

They are chasing down those who come to help in some areas of Africa. They refuse to use the things needed to kill the virus and it will keep spreading until they stop that. The President and the CDC says that we can't stop it here until we stop it there. I say BS to that. We can't protect them from themselves and we need to protect our own children. Just because we have better hygiene does not mean that we should risk the exposure.

• Like 1

Flowerchild.

Thank you for your contribution. My statement about enterovirus 68 not being documented in that area didn't mean there were no enteroviruses in central and south America. Viruses are pretty much everywhere and as your post and link point out, they are there. Whether it is because of lack of diagnosis or some other factor, the point is the mutation enterovirus 68 seems to be concentrated in the more temperate area of the northern hemisphere and had been responsible for outbreaks in specific known clusters in 2009.

While no one is certain, the WHO and CDC do seek to track things and the medical establishments in those countries in central America are able to access the expertise available which is to say, if a couple of kids in central or south America had died of something on the order of this, there is a good chance that it would have been reported, analyzed and categorized.

People in public health across the world are highly aware of these kinds of risks to humanity and while there is certainly more to know about disease, viruses and other biotic pathogens, we shouldn't discount the information amassed in the last 50 years.

Also, while you are correct in suggesting that the medical infrastructure a well as the sewerage and availability of water, particularly in the villages, the idea that the entire country is nothing but a bunch of thatch shacks, which I fear some of older members might conjure in their minds eye, is also untrue.

MonroviaLiberia.jpg

This is an ocean front view of Monrovia, Liberia which shows the modern part of the city. The not so modern neighborhoods are not as inviting to those with western sensibilities as this view of a street market shows.

98567-street-market-in-monrovia-liberia.

What you're seeing, basically, is a society with a wide degree of inequality. There are sections there that would rival the finest homes in Atlanta in opulence and there are other sections in that society that would make the public housing here in Dallas look exquisite in comparison.

Our biggest challenge is in understanding that our accumulated knowledge, our technology and tools give us, at best, the ability to influence our survival in the cosmos; they don't guarantee it.

Again, as your posts were designed to explain and not scare, inform and not politicize, they were very welcome. Communicable disease is, was and always will be a risk associated with human life. People die of this stuff and when we think we've whipped something (like polio) the viruses mutate and give us another challenge that we have not developed an artificial immunity to. A victory may last a human generation or two but generations in the viral world may happen weekly and mutations have been happening for billions of years.

Or we may lose everything to a designer pathogen developed in the laboratory that will do us all in. Who knows anything other than the Chinese saying, "May you live in interesting times" is considered a curse.

pubby

Sooooo, over the past 20 yrs they haven't been given this knowledge?

Or have they chosen to ignore the knowledge?

I am a perfect example of having knowledge that something is bad for me, doesn't make me choose to use that knowledge to stop doing what is bad for me......sorry, had to stop typing to spit my chew in my cup.

Sooooo, over the past 20 yrs they haven't been given this knowledge?

Or have they chosen to ignore the knowledge?

I am a perfect example of having knowledge that something is bad for me, doesn't make me choose to use that knowledge to stop doing what is bad for me......sorry, had to stop typing to spit my chew in my cup.

Stradial:

People are capable of learning quickly, as you exemplify (and personify) cultures no so quickly.

pubby

Just for the sake of discussion. I think the CDC and our government xropped the ball on Ebola. I don't think it should have ever been brought here. I think until there was a proper screening and a wait time the borders should have been closed. You cant help someone else clean house if your own is a mess. With that being said that option is out the door. I also am glad I am not from Texas because they continue to horribly mishandle the case they have. Not bashing Texas but what a mess. I also think the patients family added to the drama. The wife/girlfriend should have bagged up those sheets and towels and started the cleaning process. She already had been exposed to leaave that mess exposed with her child in the apt was horrible.As to why ebola continues to affect Africa its a combination of things. Temperate climates lots of people unsanitary conditions. Lack of education and culture plays a big roll in illness. Every culture treats or handles illnesses diseases and deaths different. With that said I do not believe we will go into Africa and cure them.

As far as the current enterovirus going around. Since viruses mutate it is possible that someone who had an active entervirus came in contact with someone who had an active polio offshoot and a supervirus was born. It is also possible to mutate a virus of this type in a lab. Our CDC does it all the time. They also accidently shipped out live anthrax and smallpox not long ago and gave a convicted felon a gun and made him a securify guard. It would be next to impossible to tell where this new virus emerged point is its here.

• Like 1

As far as the current enterovirus going around. Since viruses mutate it is possible that someone who had an active entervirus came in contact with someone who had an active polio offshoot and a supervirus was born. It is also possible to mutate a virus of this type in a lab. Our CDC does it all the time. They also accidently shipped out live anthrax and smallpox not long ago and gave a convicted felon a gun and made him a securify guard. It would be next to impossible to tell where this new virus emerged point is its here.

That's true, the polio infection that laid FDR low at age 39, came from a group of boy scouts on a campout.

pubby

I know its scary, but in reality isn't the flu going to kill more people this year? I could be wrong, but I'm curious to see if the hype is bigger than the virus.

- Jamie

I know its scary, but in reality isn't the flu going to kill more people this year? I could be wrong, but I'm curious to see if the hype is bigger than the virus.

- Jamie

Question: Why does the flu kill people when there are flu shots available as a preventive measure?

Answer: Not everybody gets the flu shot. There has also been times when the CDC has wrongly selected which flu people should be vaccinated for.

- Jamie

Influenza is already circulating early this year... we got our flu shots yesterday.

:good:

Yes, a lot of people will die from the Flu. But it is actually a very small % of those who get it. The fatality rate is only 1% or 2%.

Ebola, with care is still what, 30% or greater. Ebola without care iss 70% to 80%.

As far as flu shots and their efficacy or effectiveness.

First. is is indeed a total crap shoot as to which virus mutations if WILL prevent completely. Based on long term data collection and comparative analysis, they formulate which viruses on a best guess basis, and cross their fingers.

However, any type A Influenza vaccine will provide some protection against all Type A virus infections. So you might still get it, but a much less severe case. The vaccine will help your body with general immunities against all type A strains.

The ONLY way to control, and or stop an epidemic of a virus like Ebola is to errradicate it at its source, and sooner than later is also critical.

Humans share like 99% RNA and DNA with the other great apes [chimps, gorillas, etc.] as well as 95% or more with monkeys. We both have the same receptors for Type A Influenza viruses to attached to. What they get, we can get.

Unfortunately, the same holds true for common ground with Type A bugs and chickens and pigs. Again, we all have the same receptors, and pigs to chickens or vice versa is a given. It will happen. Pigs to pepple, people to chickens, etc., cannot always infect each other, but the same source virus can.

Where its starts getting really scary from an epidemic standpoint is a mixture of the 3. An ape originated Ebola, which infects a pig. The disease mutates at the farm where the pigs are.....they all get the virus, and a visiting farmer takes the virus back to his chicken farm, where all the chickens get the Chimp to Pig to Chicken virus. Now in 3rd world chicken farms, they still have houses with thousands of chickens in them. That envronment creates a natural incubator for the virus to successfully replicate, breed, and multiply like crazy, on a daily basis.

Chicken A gets the virus from chicken B, with a variation, and passes that on to chicken C later the same day, on to chicken D. It can go through a lifespan mutation several times a day, that would take months in the wild.

That is where we fear a super virus, that will have a death rate like Ebola, but which is easily passed from person to person via respitory breathing. Thats where we are with Avian Influenza. Naturally, it lives in the GI tract of waterfowl, systemically and asymptomatically. They carry it, but don't get it.

Pass it on to a domesticated chicken via their stomach/gut, and in a matter of 2-3 days, it will mutate to a respitory tract influenza, highly contagious and easy to spread. This is one of the reasons the poultry industry worldwide is not real hip on free range chickens. They are exposed to wild birds who can and do infect them.

With Ebola's lethal genes, and a Type A;'s contagiousness, a super virus like this could kill a large, large % of the population.

Allowing it to spread to other countries while trying to contain it will encourage local mutations driven by the local gene pool and environment.

For those bashing the administration for bringing those first patients here for treatment. That also allowed a living patient with the viral infection next to the lab where they are doing R&D with vaccine formulations. Having fresh blood to draw with fresh viral footprints allows for immediete testing that otherwise would take weeks. It also lets the lab have very, very fresh virus to deal with. A workable vaccine with a good efficacy rate against Ebola will come out of labs in the USA and probably France, and maybe Holland and Germany.

It will not come out of labs in West Africa.

Wow!!!

This is crazy. I can only liken this to the AIDS epidemic and Ryan White's school reaction. It's completely normal for people to become hysterical when something new and scary comes about - but please don't underestimate the thousands of viruses that your children will be exposed to that ARE NOT entrovirus that could kill them!! 4 MILLION people die each year of respiratory problems, the most common of these is RSV. It has a 7% fatality rate. It strikes children under 2. Do you know about this one too?

Use good hand washing practices and try not to create panic in your children!

Edited by dumbestgirlintheworld
  • Like 1

rockysmom, this article is for you.....

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/10/08/NM-Mayor-All-of-A-Sudden-Fed-Gov-Now-Releasing-Illegal-Immigrants-at-4-to-1-Ratio

However, a study published in Virology Journal, found EV-D68 among some of the 3,375 young, ill people tested in eight Latin American countries, including the Central American nations of El Salvador and Nicaragua, in 2013. (See Fig. 3)

Though the U.S. government is keeping secret the locations of the illegal immigrant children, there are significant numbers of them in both cities in which the current outbreak was first identified, Kansas City, Missouri and Chicago, Illinois, according to local advocates and press reports.

CDC list of states with confirmed EV-D68 cases

The EV-D68 outbreak was first recognized after Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri notified CDC on August 19 of an increase in severe respiratory illnesses. Four days later, on August 23, the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital notified CDC of a similar increase.

I've seriously thought about this...............and call me what you want, but when it hits the schools I've thought about keeping the 5YO kindergartener at home.

Too bad parents won't abide by these guidelines because they have to go to work.

I got this message today, and so far, so good.

PCSD Communications

Today at 9:21 AM

Notification from: Paulding County Schools

October 15, 2014

Dear Parents/Guardians,

The start of cold and flu season is upon us and, as you know, colds and viruses can spread quickly from person to person. A new concern this year is the enterovirus (EV-D68) that you’ve probably heard about on the news. It is making children sick, particularly those with pre-existing respiratory conditions. As of the date of this letter, the Paulding County School District has not been informed of any student diagnosed with this virus. We are simply trying to communicate with parents and guardians to prevent the spread of illnesses this school year.

We use a variety of ways to communicate with parents, including our One Call Now system. If you have not signed up for this, please do so. Additionally, it is imperative that your child’s school has updated telephone numbers where they can reach you, should your child become ill at schools. If your telephone numbers have changed, now is the time to update them with your child’s school. Please update your contact numbers for those emergency contacts who are authorized to pick up your child as well.

It is never too early to plan for the possibility of a sick child. You should address these issues with your employer, as they will be impacted as well. If your child has a fever of 101 and is seen by the school nurse, you will be called to come pick your child up from school. If your child’s temperature reaches 103 degrees and you cannot pick them up within 15 minutes, or if you cannot be reached at all, 911 will be called and your child will be transported to the nearest emergency room. This is both for your child’s safety, as well as to prevent the spread of illness.

If your child wakes up with vague complaints (the way colds and flu begin), it is wise to observe your child for an hour or two before deciding whether or not to bring them to school. Your child should be physically able to participate in all school activities upon return to school. Keeping a sick child at home will help minimize the spread of infections and viruses in the classroom. This courtesy is to keep your child from coming down with an infection or virus as well.

If your child is experiencing cold or flu symptoms, we recommend you keep them home from school. To decide whether or not to send your child to school, please consider the following guidelines:

Consider keeping your child at home for an extra day of rest and observation if he or she has any of the following symptoms:

•Very stuffy or runny nose and/or a cough

•Mild sore throat (no fever, no known exposure to strep)

•Headache

•Mild stomach ache

Definitely keep your child at home for treatment and observation if he or she has any of these symptoms:
•Fever (greater than 100 degrees by mouth. Your child may return to school only after he or she has been fever free for a minimum of 24 hours, without the influence of a fever reducing medication, like Motrin or Tylenol.)
•Vomiting (even once)
•Diarrhea
•Chills
•General malaise or feelings of fatigue, discomfort, weakness or muscle aches
•Frequent congested (wet) or croupy cough
•Lots of nasal congestion with frequent blowing of nose

• Like 1

I just got that message too. It seems they want us to keep the kids for a lot of things, but I doubt that they have come up with a solution to avoid missing more than a few days a semester.

• Like 1

I just got that message too. It seems they want us to keep the kids for a lot of things, but I doubt that they have come up with a solution to avoid missing more than a few days a semester.

They better be rethinking that.

• Like 1

They better be rethinking that.

I know. My son missed 6 days in September. He had strep one week and double ear infection another. He was running a fever, and unable to go.