Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

FY 2015 Paulding County Timber Harvest Contract 165.8+/- acres within the Paulding Forest Tract

BOC

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 satellite

satellite

Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Airport related?

-------

Description:

Timber harvesting activities on approximately 165.8+/- acres within the Paulding Forest Tract.   

Publication Date/Time: 9/24/2014 8:30 AM

Closing Date/Time: 10/31/2014 11:00 AM

Contact Person: Wayne Cauthen – Coosa Forestry Services
Ph: 706-232-6564 
E-mail: wcauthen@coosaforestry.com

Fee: No Charge

Plan & Spec Available:
Coosa Forestry Services, Inc. 
1902 Parish Drive SE
Rome, GA 30161-9575

Business Hours:
8:00am-5:00pm

Special Requirements:
See Timber Sale Package

Related Documents:
Paulding Co Timber Sale Advertisement
VendorPacketv14

Gangsta rap made me do it.

#2 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Sounds like a normal sale to me, but without seeing the map of where they are clearing it's hard to tell.

Now, they may be selling this portion to gain funds since they are making less than they are spending (perhaps due to the airport costs), but that's another argument. :)

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#3 satellite

satellite

Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like a normal sale to me, but without seeing the map of where they are clearing it's hard to tell.

Now, they may be selling this portion to gain funds since they are making less than they are spending (perhaps due to the airport costs), but that's another argument. :)

I am truly curious.  Not stirring the pot with this--but I can't find any info on the tract (map, coordinates, etc.) I thought perhaps someone else around pcom may know.  

Gangsta rap made me do it.

#4 Pinches Monos

Pinches Monos

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

-----  and we can't ride ATVs in the designated "paulding forest" because it will disrupt the wildlife

#5 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

For the 25 years I have lived in Braswell, they have been periodically logging various areas, including acreage at Blue Car Body Rd and the property where the Paulding Forest sign is located in the city limits.   I know some of the property was/is owned by the Jones family, but I am pretty sure some of it is in the Paulding Forest as well, although I am only basing this on what I have seen over the years. 

Also, I thought it was specified when the county bought the greenspace acreage that the timber there could/would be sold.

All of this is to say that this may not even necessarily be in the area of the airport, I guess.

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#6 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

So the county can allow timber to be sold by the original owners via the "contract" for the green space, but the City of Atlanta cannot tell us what to do with the land we bought from them? 

Double Standard?  I think so.

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#7 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I wonder if the logging is to keep the area from becoming too much of a fire hazard.   It's one thing for virgin forest to grow naturally, but a pure pine farm with layer after layer of pine straw around the trees would seem to be a open invitation for a major fire.

Not that I'm a forest expert understand, but I did burn some pine limbs this weekend.  :)

• cmorg and tundra like this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#8 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

I wonder if the logging is to keep the area from becoming too much of a fire hazard.   It's one thing for virgin forest to grow naturally, but a pure pine farm with layer after layer of pine straw around the trees would seem to be a open invitation for a major fire.

Not that I'm a forest expert understand, but I did burn some pine limbs this weekend.  :)

Ha!  You do have a point, however controlled burns happen even in the Sierra Nevada's without timber harvesting. 

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#9 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Ha!  You do have a point, however controlled burns happen even in the Sierra Nevada's without timber harvesting. 

It kinda depends on if they re-seed with pines.   If they are thinning (or clearing) to make room for a mixed hardwoods and pine forest to come it, then I could understand it.

#10 Gone

Gone

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

So the county can allow timber to be sold by the original owners via the "contract" for the green space,

Yes,............from my understanding The Jones Company owned "the dirt" and a timber company still owned the trees,that timber company can still come in and get their trees.

It's amazing how these big landowners can use loopholes in the tax codes to save them money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BOC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics