Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

Is forgetting to put your name on a paper a disciplinary infraction?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Copy & paste email- my original email to the teacher is at the bottom, her reply is on top. Since when did forgetting to put your name on an assignment in 2nd grade become a disciplinary infraction? I've replied to her response but your opinion is welcome!

Mrs. ******

***** lost his recess because his name was not on his homework. The policy is no name = no homework, no homework = no recess. I had seven students turn in homework without a name today. They stood outside and during the last five minutes I let them play. His behavior was fine. Please remind him to put his name on his homework. Thanks.

Teacher name removed

2nd Grade Teacher

School Name Removed

Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:05 PM
To: teacher name redacted
Subject: Student name redacted

(Teacher name redacted)

Could you please clarify for me why ***** was on "red" today? He says it wasn't a behavior issue but because he forgot to put his name on his homework. I appreciate the clarification.

Thank you,

#2 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

I would not like this at all. 

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.........

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."~~ Edward R. Murrow   

#3 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

Teacher's class, teacher's rules.  :unknw:

• crizzle likes this

There but for the grace of God, go I.

#4 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

Teach him to put his name on his paper, missing part of recess is better than a zero.

• Happy Wife And Mom and crizzle like this

#5 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Teach him to put his name on his paper, missing part of recess is better than a zero.

He received the same punishment for forgetting to put his name on the completed homework as he would have if he didn't do the homework at all. It's also the same punishment for disrupting class. I don't think the punishment fits the action here. I've asked the teacher to further clarify why something like a missing name is treated as if he disrupted the entire classroom. The homework, both pages, we're complete. His name was on both sides of one paper & only one side of the other! (Yes, two pages front and back. Every night .)

#6 blessedby2

blessedby2

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

I have two children in the school system, I say good for the teacher. It's a very simple task and I'm pretty positive that the teacher probably reminds the class multiple times to do so.......so actions should have consequences. Kids very often don't have to deal with consequences for their actions because some one seems its unfair. We are raising a generation of kids that feel "entitled" because they have never had to suffer consequences for their actions, so when they grow up and enter the real world, they blame everyone else for everything.

My reason I feel so strongly is because I have noticed that (especially in elementary school), an assignment is given and they are told when it is due..... my child works on it, misses outside play time because they pitch a fit about doing it at home, then goes to school only to find out those who didn't finish it have no penalty.....WTH??? So some parents feel well if there is no penalty why fight with my kid to do it on time, bad example we are teaching or kids.  You have an assignment or are told to do something, if you don't do it there are consequences, its just like parenting, its the parents choice as to what the punishment is (you don't go around asking family and friends how they think you should punish your child), same with teachers, their choice --as long as its the same for everyone in the class. 

• mach4, elliesgranny, tiggybff16 and 4 others like this

#7 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

My 2 cents (which is 2 pennies more than it may be worth).

If I understand correctly, because he didn't put his name on the homework, he was not given credit for the homework he did, plus he had to sit out recess.

Based on this understanding of the situation;

First, like someone said, teacher's class, teacher's rules.

Second, my response to my kid would be something along the lines of, it doesn't matter if we think it is fair or not, those are the rules, we have to play by the rules.  I always told my son's teachers that any disagreement would be between us alone, the kids don't need to know about it.

(that is given that it is normal type of stuff, which I consider this to be) 

Third, I personally don't think it is fair for a dbl punishment for one mistake, count the homework and miss the recess or don't count the homework and have recess, but not both. But again (and to me this is the trump card), teacher's class, teacher's rules.

• NewsJunky, TJB and mei lan like this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#8 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Coddled overprotected children is why we have twenty year olds still living in their parents basement whose only achievement is high score on Halo 5.  

• mach4, elliesgranny, tbird and 5 others like this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#9 Shallow Hal

Shallow Hal

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

You didn't notice his name was missing when you checked over his homework?

#10 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Firehouse, my reply wasn't meant to be unkind, I promise. I substitute taught K-5 for almost ten years. I adore those kiddos, in fact, second grade was always my favorite age group to teach. At this age, it's imperative that they learn to follow even the simplest of instructions. There may come a time when their very life depends on it.  Enjoy your sweet second grader, time goes far too fast.

Edited by Dana, 23 September 2014 - 07:27 PM.

• blessedby2 likes this

#11 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

I agree with most of the other comments on here. I'll bet he won't forget next time. Lesson learned.

• Dana and mei lan like this

#12 Rose Luxemburg

Rose Luxemburg

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

I asked my 2nd grader and his class has this rule.  I think it is good.  They wont make that mistake twice.

#13 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

Just remember your child is learning just as much from you as he is from his Teacher, if you reject his Teachers authority so will he. Careful what you teach him.   

(Pandoras Box.) 

• The Sound Guy, momof 3, blessedby2 and 3 others like this

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any honorable Gentleman will question it.  -John Stuart Mill

#14 brown*eyed*girl

brown*eyed*girl

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

I kind of agree with Stradial.  It's definitely not fair that your student was punished twice.  I had something similar happen to one of my kids last year but I decided to let it go so I'm not going to share the story here.  A part of me wishes I would have said something but I think it would have turned into a she said, he said kind of thing and honestly I just wanted to finish out the year and move on so I had the talk with my child that, no it wasn't fair but sometimes in life this happens and you have to decide whether to push it or let it go and this time I thought we should just let it go.  Your experience though reminded me of a couple of my own.

When one of my kids was in second grade I received an e-mail from an amazing teacher letting me know my son would be missing recess because he didn't return the progress report that had been sent home the day before.  I e-mailed the teacher immediately and explained due to my husband's work schedule he hadn't had a chance to see it yet so I had planned to send it in in a couple of days.  I decided to just bring it in anyway.  Unfortunately my car keys were in my coat pocket that I let my older daughter wear to school that day because it was unseasonably cold.  I walked (marched is more like it-lol) up to the school, signed in, walked the classroom, plopped it on the desk and walked out.  I was livid.  This is a teacher I have a lot of respect for but this just made me mad. I've always hated when teachers do that.  I much prefer the teacher who says whomever returns their progress report by tomorrow will get a lolli-pop, starburst, whatever.  No I don't think we need to reward kids for everything but I never understood the punishing them because their parents didn't turn stuff in and I always felt one night with a progress report was not long enough. Maybe that's because of my husbands crazy schedule. 

I've had three kids go through Kindergarten.  The oldest two had the same teacher and she had a rule about having your name on your snack.  If you came to school without your name on your snack you didn't get your snack (all the snacks were put in a basket at the beginning of the day).  One day when my youngest was in kindergarten I wasn't sure if we'd remembered to put his name on his snack.  I rushed up to the school to double check.  When I got there his teacher almost laughed at me.  She said I keep a sharpie by the snack basket and the kids can put their name on them.  It's great practice for them.  I loved this teachers attitude.  I was fortunate that the next year she moved to third grade so two of my kids had her.  Spending two years in a row with her teaching my kids I learned a lot from her and she made me a better parent.  I love how she took something stressful (for me anyways) and turned it into something simple and posititve. 

• Dana likes this

#15 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

I have a grandson in the 6th grade this year. He is very smart and in a couple of advanced classes. When he got his progress report a few weeks back, one of his grades that he thought was close to a 100 wound up being in the 70's--all because he forgot to put his name on homework (several times). He was devastated but was told that it was his own fault and took the consequences. He has not forgot about his name since then. Wish his second grade teacher had done that for him!!

• momof 3, blessedby2 and Jola like this

#16 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

I have two children in the school system, I say good for the teacher. It's a very simple task and I'm pretty positive that the teacher probably reminds the class multiple times to do so.......so actions should have consequences. Kids very often don't have to deal with consequences for their actions because some one seems its unfair. We are raising a generation of kids that feel "entitled" because they have never had to suffer consequences for their actions, so when they grow up and enter the real world, they blame everyone else for everything.

My reason I feel so strongly is because I have noticed that (especially in elementary school), an assignment is given and they are told when it is due..... my child works on it, misses outside play time because they pitch a fit about doing it at home, then goes to school only to find out those who didn't finish it have no penalty.....WTH??? So some parents feel well if there is no penalty why fight with my kid to do it on time, bad example we are teaching or kids.  You have an assignment or are told to do something, if you don't do it there are consequences, its just like parenting, its the parents choice as to what the punishment is (you don't go around asking family and friends how they think you should punish your child), same with teachers, their choice --as long as its the same for everyone in the class. 

Either that or they extend the due date, that makes me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• blessedby2 likes this

#17 satellite

satellite

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Just my 2cents:

As a former teacher, if either of my daughters came home and had experienced this due to not putting their name on homework I would have responded as such:

1.  I would tell them to put their name on it from now on and they wouldn't have to worry about missing recess.  Otherwise, expect the consequence.

2.  Kick myself in the ass for not doing my parental duty of going over the homework before it was turned in.  I would also apologize to my child for not pulling my weight of "the parent" in the situation while explaining it is still THEIR responsibility to follow the most basic instrutions, ie putting their name at the top of the paper.

(Before anyone bashes me for this response, please understand I have done #1 and #2 on several occasions..so I have eaten my own dogfood so to speak.)

• tbird, momof 3, blessedby2 and 2 others like this

Gangsta rap made me do it.

#18 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

It wouldn't do for me to have children in the public school system, now-a-days!!!!   :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :shok:

• firehouse and mei lan like this
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#19 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Coddled overprotected children is why we have twenty year olds still living in their parents basement whose only achievement is high score on Halo 5.

Hey, that's funny. My 20 year old has his CDL and is a C Class lineman for Pike Electric, he no longer lives at home. My 18 year old was just sworn in by Sheriff Gary Gulledge this morning; he just graduated C/O 2014 and is saving up to move out. My 16 year old is 6 credits away from graduating early & will begin college in what should be her Senior year. So, nice try on the coddled over protected parent.

The teachers reply? Last time two kids forgot so she was able to differentiate between the two. No penalty. Yesterday seven kids forgot to put their names on it- the first homework after break- so she made all 7 sit out.

Be consistent. Same infraction for forgetting to put your name on BOTH sides- it was on both sides of one page and only one side of another. That counts as not doing his HW at all? Call it overprotective but someone needs to stand up for these kids on behalf of their over zealous teacher.
  • Mrs G and brown*eyed*girl like this

#20 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hey, that's funny. My 20 year old has his CDL and is a C Class lineman for Pike Electric, he no longer lives at home. My 18 year old was just sworn in by Sheriff Gary Gulledge this morning; he just graduated C/O 2014 and is saving up to move out. My 16 year old is 6 credits away from graduating early & will begin college in what should be her Senior year. So, nice try on the coddled over protected parent.

The teachers reply? Last time two kids forgot so she was able to differentiate between the two. No penalty. Yesterday seven kids forgot to put their names on it- the first homework after break- so she made all 7 sit out.

Be consistent. Same infraction for forgetting to put your name on BOTH sides- it was on both sides of one page and only one side of another. That counts as not doing his HW at all? Call it overprotective but someone needs to stand up for these kids on behalf of their over zealous teacher.

I agree with you but at the same time I would work on helping him develop the habit of putting his name on his paper before he starts any assignment no matter what it is.  First thing on the paper or it is naked.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

#21 JYD

JYD

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

My 2nd grade grandson is in a PC elementary school and this rule applies there. It may be a system wide rule but he learnt the first time that he lost recess to put his name on it.

#22 Jola

Jola

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Let me ask what consequence you would suggest the teacher give for not following this rule?
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

#23 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Let me ask what consequence you would suggest the teacher give for not following this rule?

I think taking free time away or having them put their name on about 100 papers and have them ready for use would be much more in line with the so called crime than taking points off of their grade.  One has to do with behavior and the other their academic ability.  Two different things.  If they have grade recovery then they should not take points away for being absent minded.

#24 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have to side with the teacher if they know that this is the rule.

• momof 3 likes this

#25 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,871 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

If the teacher has 25 students and gets 23 papers turned in. Let's say 3 of those papers have no name.

Without a lot of time spent on detective work, how does she know who turned the paper in with no name and who didn't turn one in?

It's stated very simply in the email: No name = No homework. The punishment was for no homework. Because there was no name, it was counted as not being turned in.

• momof 3, spunky and Jola like this
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#26 CitizenCain

CitizenCain

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

First I was speaking in general and not accusing you specifically. Second you have a 20, 18, 16 and 7 year old ? Wow; Let me just say Good for you Mom, way to hang in there ! 

#27 Just thinkin' hard

Just thinkin' hard

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

In my classroom, right now, I have a two inch thick stack (literally - I measured it) of papers without names on them.  There are many students with alot of zeros in the gradebook.  I grade them when I grade everything else so if they'll just claim it - I'll put it in the gradebook.  They won't even go look.

Not my problem beyond grading them.

Good for this teacher.  I would caution you that the two that she didn't punishment may have issues that make the punishment inappropriate.  If we want our students to get differentiated instruction when they are smart or ahead, we have to be understanding when those that are slower to pick up skills have differentiated instruction as well.

• jenilyn likes this
Posted Image

#28 firehouse

firehouse

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

In my classroom, right now, I have a two inch thick stack (literally - I measured it) of papers without names on them.  There are many students with alot of zeros in the gradebook.  I grade them when I grade everything else so if they'll just claim it - I'll put it in the gradebook.  They won't even go look.

Not my problem beyond grading them.

Good for this teacher.  I would caution you that the two that she didn't punishment may have issues that make the punishment inappropriate.  If we want our students to get differentiated instruction when they are smart or ahead, we have to be understanding when those that are slower to pick up skills have differentiated instruction as well.

Are your students in 2nd grade?

#29 Just thinkin' hard

Just thinkin' hard

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Are your students in 2nd grade?

Nope - but if someone had dealt with it before me, I wouldn't have the stack.  Look - life isn't fair.  And, it's not always right.  The sooner we all realize and learn to work with it, the sooner that we will all be a little less stressed.  My oldest is at college and dealing with this on a big scale for the first time.  He got demerits today because he signed his name small (a problem he's had problems with in the past) and someone signed in the same space.  My answer - fix it.  

Does it suck?  Yep.  Sure does.  But, it is what it is.  Look at him and tell him to make sure his name is on every paper.  Wish some of my kids could remember that.  Heck.  I'm at the point that I just wished they cared enough to go get it out of the basket.  

Posted Image

#30 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,871 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

If you went to work all week buy didnt't clock in or out, would you expect a paycheck?

Forgetting to identify your papier is no different - the lesson is don't forget to put your name on your paper.

• Just thinkin' hard, momof 3, blessedby2 and 2 others like this
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#31 Cranemec

Cranemec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

If you went to work all week buy didnt't clock in or out, would you expect a paycheck?

Forgetting to identify your papier is no different - the lesson is don't forget to put your name on your paper.

I thought the same thing. I bet if the boss forgot to put his name on her check, ie: signed it, there would be all kinds of hell to be raised.

Life's tough, get a helmet.

This reminds me of a post my daughter made on her FB page about my 9 yr old grand daughter losing an election for a class officer at her new school.

Its a sad day for a little 9 year old girl.
She ran for student government and didn't win the election. She got off the bus in tears and immediately threw her poster in the trash. I hate it for her.
School has always been easy for her, and people (children and adults alike) have always done things for her because she was Itty Bitty Lily. Now, she's at a new school, and not everything is as easy for her as it was at Saks. She is having to try harder in school and people are no longer doing things for her because they don't know her. She is no longer cute little Lily that everyone has known since she was in kindergarten. Now she is just a tiny 4th grader who they haven't really gotten to know yet. 
Its a harsh reality, but I'm glad she is learning one of life's hard lessons early.
Life is not fair. Not everyone worships the ground you walk on. And you don't always win.

My daughter. WIN at parenting.

• Dana and blessedby2 like this

Grandma was a loyal Republican until the day she died. She's voted Democrat ever since.

#32 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,577 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

I thought the same thing. I bet if the boss forgot to put his name on her check, ie: signed it, there would be all kinds of hell to be raised.

This reminds me of a post my daughter made on her FB page about my 9 yr old grand daughter losing an election for a class officer at her new school.

She ran for student government and didn't win the election. She got off the bus in tears and immediately threw her poster in the trash. I hate it for her.
School has always been easy for her, and people (children and adults alike) have always done things for her because she was Itty Bitty Lily. Now, she's at a new school, and not everything is as easy for her as it was at Saks. She is having to try harder in school and people are no longer doing things for her because they don't know her. She is no longer cute little Lily that everyone has known since she was in kindergarten. Now she is just a tiny 4th grader who they haven't really gotten to know yet. 
Its a harsh reality, but I'm glad she is learning one of life's hard lessons early.
Life is not fair. Not everyone worships the ground you walk on. And you don't always win.

Absolute win!!!

#33 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

Did they check the hanging chads?

"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#34 Cranemec

Cranemec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Did they check the hanging chads?

I don't think Chads start hanging until 5 th grade. :lol:

• jenilyn and stradial like this

Grandma was a loyal Republican until the day she died. She's voted Democrat ever since.

#35 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

It wouldn't do for me to have children in the public school system, now-a-days!!!!   :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :shok:

Why?

#36 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

I have had very few issues with the public school system in PC and all of those occurred during middleschoolers 5th grade year. One with my granddaughter and two with middleschooler. All three happened under the same principal and all were addressed.

Here is the difference, if any of my kids didn't put their name on their paper and they knew what the consequences were, OH WELL, they didn't forget the next time. If they were talking and were reprimanded, OH WELL. Break a rule and you'd better be prepared to deal with the punishment that may follow. When a teacher has so many kids to deal with, the expectation that she will coddle mine is ridiculous.

Edited by momof 3, 27 September 2014 - 07:58 AM.

• markdavd and dogsrule like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics