Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Rose Luxemburg

Ebola threat in Paulding

300,000 people a year would tell you not to trust the CDC statements about any disease. That comes out to millions of people in the last 10 years that are left with permanent disabilities because they have been treated incorrectly or refused test and aggressive treatment based on CDC guide lines. I am not in panic mode, but I will reserve the right to be no matter what the CDC puts out there as fact.

The CDC will go to ridiculous lengths to save face.

:good: :good: :good: Agreed

You really aren't paying attention are you? The incubation period is 2-21 days. The guy in the Dallas hospital came over here after having been exposed. He didn't start developing symptoms until AFTER he arrived in Dallas from Africa. Now if we continue to allow travel to the US from those countries, how many more like him who had been exposed, but not showing symptoms can enter the country and then start developing symptoms and exposing others?

Do you not understand that?

Understand? :rofl:

Why did you have to go and say that. I am sure that he has not made this decision based on his personal thoughts. As all our presidents he listens to the experts and considers their opinions. We have so many department heads in this country that need to be flipping burgers it is not even funny. Hopefully the head of the CDC will get nailed by the liberal media and resign before he gets millions of Americans killed.

Because he is the one with the authority to do it and he is also supposed to be the one with all of the updated info. He is very quick to write executive orders when it has to do with illegals and letting them stay here why can't he care as much for the American people and stop this disease from getting off of airplanes here?

• Like 4

Most travelers coming to the USA from sub Sahara Africa depart from Europe. It's going to be very difficult to screen and stop all of them.

They simply fly to Rome, Barcelona, Paris, etc the take a train to Frankfurt or Amsterdam, etc and board a plane bound for here.

If they are traveling on a USA or EEC passport in order to cull them out, they will have to:

1) find a visa from a restrictive country, and depending on lots if variables there may not be a visa.

2) find a recent country stamp of arrival in their passport

3 ) many countries allow dual citizen ship with 2 passports. So the leave siera Leon on that passport the check in at Amsterdam with a USA or French or English passport.

Even if the airlines and immigration services hired thousands of new inspectors and check in personnel, it would be impossible to ascertain where the passenger had been, and even more so if they were trying to hide their previous visits to suspect countries.

• Like 1

Did y'all know that if you caught a wild hog in south Ga.that you could not legally take it anywhere else in the state and release it,without it going thru blood tests from the state?

Can't have them hogs spreading diseases

Most travelers coming to the USA from sub Sahara Africa depart from Europe. It's going to be very difficult to screen and stop all of them.

They simply fly to Rome, Barcelona, Paris, etc the take a train to Frankfurt or Amsterdam, etc and board a plane bound for here.

If they are traveling on a USA or EEC passport in order to cull them out, they will have to:

1) find a visa from a restrictive country, and depending on lots if variables there may not be a visa.

2) find a recent country stamp of arrival in their passport

3 ) many countries allow dual citizen ship with 2 passports. So the leave siera Leon on that passport the check in at Amsterdam with a USA or French or English passport.

Even if the airlines and immigration services hired thousands of new inspectors and check in personnel, it would be impossible to ascertain where the passenger had been, and even more so if they were trying to hide their previous visits to suspect countries.

So do we wait for them to spread it in Europe first? It is here and it got here on a plan. That is all we need to know. You do not survive this disease without hospital care. We do not have enough beds to save millions of people. I entertain no belief that I am so special that I won't contract it. I am not willing to take the chance that I will get a hospital bed or the care I need to survive.The way you explain it we could already be in grave danger from any and all overseas flights.

• Like 2

So do we wait for them to spread it in Europe first? It is here and it got here on a plan. That is all we need to know. You do not survive this disease without hospital care. We do not have enough beds to save millions of people. I entertain no belief that I am so special that I won't contract it. I am not willing to take the chance that I will get a hospital bed or the care I need to survive.The way you explain it we could already be in grave danger from any and all overseas flights.

I'm not against the US forbidding US citizens travel to those countries as well as forbidding entry to anyone from those countries. I think it would be a great idea for all other countries to do the same to protect their people. This is a very deadly disease and it can spread quickly. As you said, it would not take much for it to cause hospital beds in every area to be taken with this disease. If that were to happen, then what? Millions would die. Do we risk the lives of millions of our own citizens?

So just how would you go about policing the passengers coming here?

I don't think there are any non stop flights from any sub Sahara country except the republic if South Africa.

Are you going to do a dossier and travel history for every passenger on every flight from an EEC city to the USA?

OK so the solution is to close the borders to these people and let Ebola fester within their own borders.

Many of the world health organizations disagree with you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/01/why-hasnt-the-u-s-closed-its-airports-to-travelers-from-ebola-ravaged-countries/

What part of "restrict travel from affected countries" did you not understand ? ? ?

Allowing them to infect fellow travelers en route is certainly not a viable solution.

It is pretty obvious that the lackadaisical airport screening has failed.

8)

Why did you have to go and say that. I am sure that he has not made this decision based on his personal thoughts. As all our presidents he listens to the experts and considers their opinions. We have so many department heads in this country that need to be flipping burgers it is not even funny. Hopefully the head of the CDC will get nailed by the liberal media and resign before he gets millions of Americans killed.

The White House said Wednesday it will not impose travel restrictions or introduce new

airport screenings to prevent additional cases of Ebola from entering the United States.

Spokesman Josh Earnest said that current anti-Ebola measures, which include screenings in West African airports

and observation of passengers in the United States, will be sufficient to prevent the “wide spread” of the virus.

- The Hill

Whatever NJ. I'm not going to debate this with you.

I hope this outbreak is contained sooner than later.

BTW, once these people get infectious, they get very, very sick very, very fast.

Wrong. Try again :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2777366/U-S-Ebola-victim-helped-carry-convulsing-pregnant-woman-later-died-virus-four-days-flew-Liberia-Texas-Four-neighbors-died-So-allowed-step-flight.html

:nea:

Edited by mrshoward
  • Like 1

So just how would you go about policing the passengers coming here?

I don't think there are any non stop flights from any sub Sahara country except the republic if South Africa.

Are you going to do a dossier and travel history for every passenger on every flight from an EEC city to the USA?

Bush had a plan :

The Obama administration has quietly scrapped plans to enact sweeping new federal quarantine regulations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention touted four years ago as critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers.

The regulations, proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of avian flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

http://minx.cc:1080/?post=352214

8)

Edited by mrshoward

it is???? I thought that was fog!

The reality is, OSU, if Eboli don't get you, there in Paulding county, G-hod will!

It's inevitable. And, it's Obama's fault.

Bush had a plan :

The Obama administration has quietly scrapped plans to enact sweeping new federal quarantine regulations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention touted four years ago as critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers.

The regulations, proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of avian flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

http://minx.cc:1080/?post=352214

8)

Just how do we go about screening passengers on flights originating and departing from the EEC?

How do you go about ascertaining where that passenger has been the previous 3-4 weeks if they don't wa mt to volunteer that information truthfully?

Are the airlines to obtain an itenerary on every passenger and verify they were at a certain hotel in a certain city? Or verifying friends and relatives where they supposedly had stayed?

It's logistically impossible.

• Like 1

Just how do we go about screening passengers on flights originating and departing from the EEC?

How do you go about ascertaining where that passenger has been the previous 3-4 weeks if they don't wa mt to volunteer that information truthfully?

Are the airlines to obtain an itenerary on every passenger and verify they were at a certain hotel in a certain city? Or verifying friends and relatives where they supposedly had stayed?

That thing you are typing on is called a computer.

It connects to the internet, which has huge databases filled with information.

Often very specific personal information about your travels and purchases.

Maybe we should let Facebook screen the passengers...

;)

Edited by mrshoward
  • Like 1

;)

Hell just froze over because that made me chuckle :p

Again, assuming the traveler knows they possibly are sick and are planning to fly under the security radar, how does the airport personnel find out where they have been?

And many if not most of the one who are USA citizens will be traveling on their USA passport. If they are boarding a flight from Paris, and choose to tell the screener they've been at a B&B in the loiter valley for the previous week how will they know any different?

Screening for potential carriers will be impossible.

Has there been any info on a symptomatic carriers? A Tyvoid Mary scenario where they carry the disease and are infectious, yet show no outward symptoms.

Will this really help?

Liberia To Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola To U.S.

Associated Press | By JONATHAN PAYE-LAYLEH

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberian authorities say they plan to prosecute the man infected with Ebola who brought the disease to the United States, saying he lied on his airport health questionnaire.

With an Ebola crisis raging in West Africa, passengers leaving Liberia are being screened for fever and are asked if they have had contact with anyone infected.

On the questionnaire obtained by The Associated Press, Thomas Eric Duncan answered 'no' to those questions.

Neighbors say Duncan had helped a sick pregnant woman who later died of the disease. Her illness at the time was believed to be pregnancy-related.

Binyah Kesselly, chairman of the board of directors of the Liberia Airport Authority, told reporters Thursday that Duncan will be prosecuted when he returns to Liberia.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/liberia-prosecute-ebola-us-thomas-eric-duncan_n_5921848.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

;)

I suspect that is occurring but is not being publicized.

As for the guy in Texas, it was also reported that when he went to the hospital, he told them he had been in Liberia but I suspect the nurse, whose basic geography course was probably taken in a Texas high school, didn't know where Liberia was and may have assumed he really meant Iberia ... as in Iberia Louisiana.

As an aside, the city of Hiram was given a device that allows officers to point it at an enclosed car and determine the temperature inside the car through its closed windows. Similar screening devices exist that are able to review and identify individuals whose body temperatures are greater than normal as well and I can't imagine them not having been deployed as part of our homeland security investment. Then of course there is the check in and boarding procedure and fellow passenger observations, all of which combine to provide a pretty good check to people who are symptomatic.

Admitted, those who are pre-symptomatic are tougher to find and that is why the questionnaires are issued.

On the current executive order, the last one listed on the GPO site (US CODE) regarding my research into quarantine regulations on both the state and federal level indicated that the executive order in effect was that of GWB cited and there was no presentation, suggestion or notification of any subsequent Executive Order. Given that the alleged change in the executive order, which basically delegates the authority of the president to the Secretary of HHS, that document would seem to remain in effect and specifically cites Ebola and other hemorrhagic viruses.

The compilation of this section dates to after that alleged change and cites the 2003 executive order by GWB as the executive order still in operation.

Ex. Ord. No. 13295. Revised List of Quarantinable Communicable Diseases

Ex. Ord. No. 13295, Apr. 4, 2003, 68 F.R. 17255, as amended by Ex. Ord. No. 13375, §1, Apr. 1, 2005, 70 F.R. 17299, provided:

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 361( B) of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264( B)), it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Based upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (the “Secretary”), in consultation with the Surgeon General, and for the purpose of specifying certain communicable diseases for regulations providing for the apprehension, detention, or conditional release of individuals to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of suspected communicable diseases, the following communicable diseases are hereby specified pursuant to section 361( B) of the Public Health Service Act:

(a) Cholera; Diphtheria; infectious Tuberculosis; Plague; Smallpox; Yellow Fever; and Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers (Lassa, Marburg, Ebola, Crimean-Congo, South American, and others not yet isolated or named).

( B) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which is a disease associated with fever and signs and symptoms of pneumonia or other respiratory illness, is transmitted from person to person predominantly by the aerosolized or droplet route, and, if spread in the population, would have severe public health consequences.

© Influenza caused by novel or reemergent influenza viruses that are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic.

Sec. 2. The Secretary, in the Secretary's discretion, shall determine whether a particular condition constitutes a communicable disease of the type specified in section 1 of this order.

Sec. 3. The functions of the President under sections 362 and 364(a) of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 265 and 267(a)) are assigned to the Secretary.

Sec. 4. This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit enforceable at law or equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, entities, officers, employees or agents, or any other person.

Sec. 5. Executive Order 12452 of December 22, 1983, is hereby revoked.

George W. Bush.

The link above: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title42/html/USCODE-2011-title42-chap6A-subchapII-partG-sec264.htm

Finally, there are ways to assess the physical well being of people boarding a plane.

Those with a cold and fever seeking to board a plane from that region will likely be spotted when they check in. Those who are pre-symptomatic have been asked and they, as noted, can be prosecuted for lying.

Heck, under US and state law, breaking quarantine is a misdeamenor; not a felony. You can be arrested and detained and you can be put in house arrest or thrown in jail.

The presumption in public health law is that people are responsible - since probably 99 of 100 are - and if they are sick, they will seek treatment and relief.

There are, no doubt, some very 'sick' people (mentally not physically) who would seek to take out others if they were to be infected by a disease like ebola but for the most part, our entire civilization is based on people doing the right thing.

If they don't, they will kill others just as the gun nut can walk into an elementary school and kill 20+ children with their guns.

This is a serious situation and proper precautions involve the cooperation of folks who must act responsibly. If your belief system asserts that people can have and own guns and be responsible, then it should be a small leap to the realization that people can be sick and act responsibly.

The good news is that this fever is, while it can be fatal in as many as 60 percent of the cases with minimal or no treatment, it is equally understood that there are treatments that can significantly lower the incidence of death and no doubt, vaccines are being developed as we speak.

It is equally obvious to me that there is an effort to hype fear to the extreme because certain segments of our society see it as a path to electoral victory in the mid-terms.

Frankly, I think it may backfire as anyone so ignorant of science and statistics believes the risk is so great, will be shying away from any public gathering like the lines on election day and will choose not to vote. Since we know that science is considered highly suspect amongst those on the right - i.e. those who have no practical understanding of just how miniscule the risk is (or understanding of other science from evolution to the impact of greenhouse gases) are the ones most likely to stay home.

Ultimately, I think that will hurt the Republican vote more than the Democratic vote.

So ... maybe I should join the chorus ;)

pubby

As for the guy in Texas, it was also reported that when he went to the hospital, he told them he had been in Liberia but I suspect the nurse, whose basic geography course was probably taken in a Texas high school, didn't know where Liberia was and may have assumed he really meant Iberia ... as in Iberia Louisiana.

On the current executive order, the last one listed on the GPO site (US CODE) regarding my research into quarantine regulations on both the state and federal level indicated that the executive order in effect was that of GWB cited and there was no presentation, suggestion or notification of any subsequent Executive Order. Given that the alleged change in the executive order, which basically delegates the authority of the president to the Secretary of HHS, that document would seem to remain in effect and specifically cites Ebola and other hemorrhagic viruses.

The compilation of this section dates to after that alleged change and cites the 2003 executive order by GWB as the executive order still in operation.

The link above: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title42/html/USCODE-2011-title42-chap6A-subchapII-partG-sec264.htm

Finally, there are ways to assess the physical well being of people boarding a plane.

Those with a cold and fever seeking to board a plane from that region will likely be spotted when they check in. Those who are pre-symptomatic have been asked and they, as noted, can be prosecuted for lying.

Heck, under US and state law, breaking quarantine is a misdeamenor; not a felony. You can be arrested and detained and you can be put in house arrest or thrown in jail.

The presumption in public health law is that people are responsible - since probably 99 of 100 are - and if they are sick, they will seek treatment and relief.

There are, no doubt, some very 'sick' people (mentally not physically) who would seek to take out others if they were to be infected by a disease like ebola but for the most part, our entire civilization is based on people doing the right thing.

If they don't, they will kill others just as the gun nut can walk into an elementary school and kill 20+ children with their guns.

This is a serious situation and proper precautions involve the cooperation of folks who must act responsibly. If your belief system asserts that people can have and own guns and be responsible, then it should be a small leap to the realization that people can be sick and act responsibly.

The good news is that this fever is, while it can be fatal in as many as 60 percent of the cases with minimal or no treatment, it is equally understood that there are treatments that can significantly lower the incidence of death and no doubt, vaccines are being developed as we speak.

It is equally obvious to me that there is an effort to hype fear to the extreme because certain segments of our society see it as a path to electoral victory in the mid-terms.

Frankly, I think it may backfire as anyone so ignorant of science and statistics believes the risk is so great, will be shying away from any public gathering like the lines on election day and will choose not to vote. Since we know that science is considered highly suspect amongst those on the right - i.e. those who have no practical understanding of just how miniscule the risk is (or understanding of other science from evolution to the impact of greenhouse gases) are the ones most likely to stay home.

Ultimately, I think that will hurt the Republican vote more than the Democratic vote.

pubby

Behold the knowledge of science :

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/doctor-boards-flight-in-ebola-protection-suit-to-p/nhZk8/

8)

Behold the pot-smoking doc who likes to stand up against guns too boot.

Frankly, I was curious about the fellow and he's pro pot - recommends using a vaporizer - and anti-gun - so he sounds like a liberal who has made the leap and grasps that there are probably more sceeerd Republicans than not and they may be afraid to the go to the polls 'cause the sky is falling.

pubby

PS: There are some people who are publicity types. He probably had the suit in his luggage, saw that criticizing the CDC is playing in Peoria, noted that his anti-gun and pro-pot stance has hurt his business in Missouri and decided he might gain some business back in southwest Missouri, where his other stands don't fit so well, with some 'earned media' by creating a little guerrilla theater. Or maybe he was in search of his fifteen minutes of fame.

As an aside, the city of Hiram was given a device that allows officers to point it at an enclosed car and determine the temperature inside the car through its closed windows. Similar screening devices exist that are able to review and identify individuals whose body temperatures are greater than normal as well and I can't imagine them not having been deployed as part of our homeland security investment. Then of course there is the check in and boarding procedure and fellow passenger observations, all of which combine to provide a pretty good check to people who are symptomatic.

Admitted, those who are pre-symptomatic are tougher to find and that is why the questionnaires are issued.

pubby

Actually I was not that worried until this happened. I am sure it is well known that the doctors flown here survived. There is every reason to lie about your illness if you believe that your best chance of making it is getting to America. It also has the ability to kill many more Americans than flying planes into a skyscraper. As you well know I am not feeding into the Obama the anti Christ group.

The plan was working until it wasn't working, now we need plan B. The leadership of this country will move to plan B under the advice of the experts. You know those people you won't see on Fox news.

Ebola does not care if your R or D. There is nothing that is sacred from bipartisan politics, like the lives of millions.

pubby

It's crap like this that turn people off to this site

• Like 2

http://www.lex18.com/news/two-patients-quarantined-in-kentucky-with-ebola-like-symptoms/

Two patients in Kentucky with Ebola-like symptoms have been quarantined for examination.

After the first case of Ebola was diagnosed in the US, doctors say they don't want to take any risks even though the two patients in Kentucky tested negative for the infection.

"The business of detecting it and finding out what it is, we're in good shape. If we get cases we need to be working more closely with the hospitals to see how we will manage individual cases," said Dr. Rice Leach, commissioner of health at the Fayette County Health Department. " But where did you get it, what is it, and who did you give it to? So far we're in great shape because we've practiced this thing three times going back as far as Anthrax, H1N1 and vaccine shortage 10 years ago."

Doctors will be taking every precaution necessary when it comes to patients who suffer Ebola-like symptoms.

• Like 1

Behold the pot-smoking doc who likes to stand up against guns too boot.

Frankly, I was curious about the fellow and he's pro pot - recommends using a vaporizer - and anti-gun - so he sounds like a liberal who has made the leap and grasps that there are probably more sceeerd Republicans than not and they may be afraid to the go to the polls 'cause the sky is falling.

pubby

PS: There are some people who are publicity types. He probably had the suit in his luggage, saw that criticizing the CDC is playing in Peoria, noted that his anti-gun and pro-pot stance has hurt his business in Missouri and decided he might gain some business back in southwest Missouri, where his other stands don't fit so well, with some 'earned media' by creating a little guerrilla theater. Or maybe he was in search of his fifteen minutes of fame.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

:nea:

I think part of the concern is misunderstanding of how the disease is transmitted.

It actually does require touch of some sort and those treating patients (doctors/nurses) and burying those who die are at greatest risk. The virus is not aerosol-ized ... i.e. it doesn't linger in the air from a cough - but is contained in the droplets as well as other bodily fluids that may end up in your mouth or eyes. The reason it is transmitted by touch is because people pick their noses, rub their eyes and lick their fingers. It would be in the bedsheets and you'd want to sterilize them before you put them in the bags or be properly protected.

There are treatments Zmapp is the concoction that was tested experimentally although two of the seven people who were treated with it did die ... but that was after they had developed the disease. ZMapp is basically an externally grown monoclonal antibody that disrupts the replication of the virus and acts, well, like a natural antibody. Current techniques call for infecting tobacco plants which have been genetically altered to create the antibody and then processing the plants after a period of time.

The problem is that while this a proven method for creating these kinds of antibodies, the productive capacity of all the labs using tobacco plants for this process is really relatively small.

According to this story in the NYTimes, there are currently efforts under way to employ another approach that uses Chinese hamster ovary cells that are cloned and grown in vast numbers in big stainless steel vats. (no hamsters are harmed) Assuming the process can be adapted, there is a great deal of productive capacity of from labs using this process and assuming things work out as assumed, there could be as many as 200,000 doses by early January.

The problem is that if things progress with little improvement in that region's ability to care for patients, there could be 1.4 million people infected. That is a worse-case scenario. A more probable approach, which includes the deployment of field hospitals and provision of training, care and proper equipment, the productive capacity of the pallative and the disease spread in the region will likely align early next year.

I think one of the things that is confounding the situation is perception, and that includes perception in west Africa as well as here.

The key thing is there have been other outbreaks and they've typically been able to be controlled with only a few thousand folks becoming infected. This was largely because those places were isolated and modern care methods were effectively introduced. The situation here is you are in the slums of cities which are highly susceptible to transmission of the disease. I actually do think that the WHO and all are very cautious about announcing anything like a quarantine - even severe travel restrictions - because of general distrust and ignorance in these places this disease is spreading. The point being that kind of announcement or even a hint that kind of announcement would be coming is the type of news that would have infected people scurrying all around the region and here in much greater numbers and with truly negative outcomes.

Part of the understanding is that there are going to be instances such as the one in texas but the effort to shut down the activity would spread the potential across a large part of Africa and Europe as those areas are much more accessible and with pockets here, there and everywhere, the potential of the thing getting really out of control is increased exponentially.

That is the danger of the PANIC ...

It is the sense of panic there that is the challenge and our expression of utter fear will scare the hell out of them. Instead our message is that this is bad situation but hang tight, it is not an impossible one and help is on the way. We're going to solve this so SIT TIGHT in Sierra Leone, Liberia and other infected places in West Africa. We're all in this together, we say in a CONFIDENT, comforting tone.

pubby

It's crap like this that turn people off to this site

That's absurd. Why else did the nurse send him home?

pubby

They have passports from their home countries don't they?

Will this really help?

Liberia To Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola To U.S.

Associated Press | By JONATHAN PAYE-LAYLEH

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberian authorities say they plan to prosecute the man infected with Ebola who brought the disease to the United States, saying he lied on his airport health questionnaire.

With an Ebola crisis raging in West Africa, passengers leaving Liberia are being screened for fever and are asked if they have had contact with anyone infected.

On the questionnaire obtained by The Associated Press, Thomas Eric Duncan answered 'no' to those questions.

Neighbors say Duncan had helped a sick pregnant woman who later died of the disease. Her illness at the time was believed to be pregnancy-related.

Binyah Kesselly, chairman of the board of directors of the Liberia Airport Authority, told reporters Thursday that Duncan will be prosecuted when he returns to Liberia.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/liberia-prosecute-ebola-us-thomas-eric-duncan_n_5921848.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

She was his sister and he tried to get her into a hospital. She died without him being able to. He planned it well. Others will too. Time to quarantine.

You are much more likely to die on the highway.So you scairdy-cats ought to quit your job,maybe.

Did that yesterday.

Need someone to deliver food.

List if items needed:

Ice cream (Klondike Bars are good)

Redman (green)

Diet Coke

Chips

(repeat items until your card is declined)

Each person delivering these basic nessecities with receive a genuine post it note with the word "thanks" hand written on it.

PM me for directions.

pubby

Using that same mentality I think I might have a way to test for those infected with Ebola. Simply offer them a spare rib and a slice of watermelon. Anyone from Africa that refuses that offer HAS to be sick.

I posted this, in the middle of a long post, in the other ebola thread.

What is the worst disaster to happen to modern man?

It was the flu.

I will repeat that, it was the flu.

The 1918 flu epidemic killed, that is killed, 3% to 5% of the world's population.

That is between 50 to 100 million people.

It is believed to have infected around 500 million people.

In one week, almost 5,000 people died in the city of Philadelphia alone.

And that was during a time when most people never traveled more than 50-100 miles from where they were born.

It's better to allow people like the guy in the Dallas hospital to continue to travel into the US and infect others?

If I were president, I'd restrict travel to and from these countries as I would put the health and welfare of US citizens first.

I agree 110%!! We should not allow ANYONE to come into this country from the infected countries. The man in Dallas, TX had his temperature taken to board the airplane as did all passengers. His temperature was normal when he boarded the plane but became symptomatic soon after arriving in the US. The chance of more infected people coming into our country is just too high.

Think about it: If half of our 48 mainland states had someone fly into those 24 states who was infected and possibly infect 100 people (which is what the reports say the man in Dallas could have exposed) just how long do you it think it would take for there to be an epidemic on US

soil????

I am not saying this to cause a panic or give one reason to worry. But, if the flights of people from the infected countries are not stopped we could be in big trouble very quick.

Using that same mentality I think I might have a way to test for those infected with Ebola. Simply offer them a spare rib and a slice of watermelon. Anyone from Africa that refuses that offer HAS to be sick.

I don't think they have to be from Africa to be sick if they turn that down.

I posted this, in the middle of a long post, in the other ebola thread.

What is the worst disaster to happen to modern man?

It was the flu.

I will repeat that, it was the flu.

The 1918 flu epidemic killed, that is killed, 3% to 5% of the world's population.

That is between 50 to 100 million people.

It is believed to have infected around 500 million people.

In one week, almost 5,000 people died in the city of Philadelphia alone.

And that was during a time when most people never traveled more than 50-100 miles from where they were born.

The Spanish flu was a lot more contagious largely because it is spread by aerosol droplets that linger in the air. While ebola is a contagious disease it is has not developed the ability to spread as rapidly as you fear. It is frankly, a lot like the typhoid outbreaks that were occurring at the turn of the century only a little more lethal.

Those folks are selling dietary supplements and figure the more scared people are, the more they'll sell.

Ignorance, foolishness and a basic lack of facilities for the treatment in the densely packed west African cities, bereft of proper sewerage, unclean water and yes, superstition are what is largely responsible for the difficulties those in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. One of the superstitions is that if you say ebola, you get ebola.

Another is reliance on witch doctors who, no doubt, sell them folks some roots that they guarantee will cure it and once they've got the money ... well SOL is SOL.

Nigeria, which is a couple of hundred miles from the point of outbreak, also had an outbreak. Unlike the three other nations, which have been going through civil wars (Liberia) and don't have much infrastructure, education or medical capability, Nigeria does. When a couple of infected persons did present themselves, authorities there, with standard, public health efforts, tracked down the 900 some-odd possible infected persons, found and treated the actual 10 or so that had actually been infected (they were being watched and when their illness was confirmed, they were treated and quarantined. They waited out the 21 day incubation period on the others and there is no more ebola there ... at least until some other infected person shows up.

Ebola, while a grisly disease, is not as contagious as most imagine. The current outbreak is the largest but it is also the first outbreak in a extremely dense, dirty, disease filled (anyway) slum in a city with poor infrastructure and inadequate basic medical care.

For instance, in the US, we have about 3 doctors for every 1000 persons while in Liberia, they have .01 doctor for every 1,000 people (about one in 100,000)... but they do have plenty of witch doctors. I think this outbreak began there some five or six months ago and they've had 7000 people get infected.

Basically they've had their head so far up their extremities, the number of people who plain died from suffocation is higher.

pubby

The Spanish flu was a lot more contagious largely because it is spread by aerosol droplets that linger in the air. While ebola is a contagious disease it is has not developed the ability to spread as rapidly as you fear. It is frankly, a lot like the typhoid outbreaks that were occurring at the turn of the century only a little more lethal.

pubby

I have never stated how afraid I am about how quickly it spreads.

I was giving information.

:)

An infected person can transmit the Ebola virus via their sweat. The virus can live for several days on the sheets. If it can live several days on the sheets, it stands to reason it can live for several days on other surfaces an infected person touches with their sweaty hands or their sweat drops onto.