#1 Boston Butt

Boston Butt

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

http://paulding.com/...tion=boardrules

This is not intended to be confrontational. I'd like to know how the rules work.  Does PCOM Rules #3 apply to your copying and pasting?  I wondered if you consider PCOM a news outlet and whether news outlets follow different rules regarding copying, pasting, and linking.  Thanks.

#2 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

For clarity, here is the rule referenced:

3. If you want to share a news article with everyone, please be sure to post a link to the article and either paraphrase parts of it or quote only small sections directly. Please don't post articles in their entirety (don't cut and paste them into your post). This is for legal purposes (because we don't want to get in trouble over copyright issues). Quoting an entire article or not giving a link for reference may result in the post being removed and or the member warned, sanctioned, suspended or removed. (italics added 1/9/07)

This rule was designed to give guidance to members who at that time were apt to post entire articles with nary so much as a comment or link.

Some get into trouble doing so because it seems to plagiarize the original information.

In regard the topic this question was attached; it included a poll and information from numerous national sources.  The technical nature of the material - we were talking about Electro-magnetic pulses both from the sun (naturally) and from man-made sources which is material that was well explained in the lengthy stories referenced and cited. 

It was not a bit in the news (not breaking news) and the subject is obviously one that needs broader public discussion/understanding.  The entire articles were not summarily copied and while they were copied extensively, the purpose of rule #3 is to avoid nasty letters asserting violation of copyright.

Concerns regarding copyright are behind rule #3 and we have set numerous posts that offer no option for opinion (poll), express no opinion or provide links to the original source invisible because of the blatant violation of this rule.

Over time, and with changing attitudes fostered in part by access to embeddable video reports often found on youtube, for instance, practices have eased to some degree in this area.

For instance, if I were a biz member on Pcom, I would probably subscribe to the AP feed on youtube and embed the videos published by that organization allowing me my signature (ad) in this ready source of material.

pubby

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics