#1 Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Cilantro.

Upon moving here two months ago, I found out that I had some hidden desire to grow things.  I've never successfully grown anything in my life (my kids are still questionable), so I have no explanation why I have developed some insatiable urge to so now.

I was perusing the flowers at a local store one day because I decided that my deck needed some color.  A kind lady helped immensely and made sure that I had everything that I needed to get started.  I made the incredible comment that I would like an herb garden.  I didn't even know what was coming out of my mouth until it was out there.  Even my son, five-months-old at the time, looked at me like I'd just put the definition of insanity into a verbalized idea.

So, I left with cilantro, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and basil.  I fully expected a casualty rate of 60-80% on my new little lifeforms.  After some hiccups with the basil and rosemary (over-watering and too much sun), I thought I'd gotten everything under control.  Then, about a week ago, my ever vibrant and overproducing cilantro began to show signs of malaise.  Now, it is in critical care and will not last another week, and I've called in the hospice team to make it as comfortable as possible.  I was just about to cut the life support this morning (dig that sonofagun out) when I decided that I would try this board to see if anything can be done.

I've been cutting the little buds off of it because YouTube let me know that this will prevent it from dropping seeds, thus ending its life cycle.  Yet, it dies nonetheless.  Perhaps I let it grow too tall or didn't clip it at the appropriate place?  Maybe by reducing the water to the other plants I've doomed the cilantro to a slow death by dehydration?  I just don't know.

Any advice is appreciated.

#2 Jane Ty

Jane Ty

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

I don't have any advice here since I kill all plants, including cactuses and plastic decorative ones.  There are many green thumbs here so hopefully someone will chime in soon and help you save the brave little trooper.  Hang in there!  Sending the green and sunny vibes to your cilantro.

• Dana likes this

#3 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,590 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

I don't have any advice here since I kill all plants, including cactuses and plastic decorative ones.  There are many green thumbs here so hopefully someone will chime in soon and help you save the brave little trooper.  Hang in there!  Sending the green and sunny vibes to your cilantro.

Can you send some of the green and sunny vibes to my parsley? It's bolted already. :(
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#4 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Cilantro is a cool season plant, it doesn't like heat.  Better off bringing it in and putting in an area that receives bright light than leaving it in the sun. 

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#5 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Cilantro is a cool season plant, it doesn't like heat.  Better off bringing it in and putting in an area that receives bright light than leaving it in the sun.

Listen to her, she knows about growing stuff, as does surepip and many others here.
I however am an expert on growing weeds, but not many need my wisdom in that area.
The wife has started an herb garden many many times, much to one of our cat's delight.
Her attempts consist of buying the herb plants, putting them on a table and leaving them there till our cat eats all the leaves off of them.
We then throw them out until we repeat the process the next time.
That one cat loves those herb plants.
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#6 Jane Ty

Jane Ty

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Can you send some of the green and sunny vibes to my parsley? It's bolted already. :(

Green and sunny vibes on their way to your parsley! :)

#7 Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Ohhhh...I see "full sun" on the little tag and wish I could plant the little feller on Mercury so it can be happy.  I have several plants to re-pot because they're getting too big for their britches, but I'm honestly terrified of moving them.  It's like when my kids start school: I know it's good that I've done a good job so far, and they're ready for the next step.  But, I'd be just fine with them staying the same size and be able to keep doing what I know works.  Oh well.  Time to hold my nose and jump off the high dive, I suppose.

Thanks for the help!

#8 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,520 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hot house plants which prefer cool weather tend to bolt quickly when it turns hot.  Next time plant the cilantro plants, and seeds around them. The seeds that come up in the ground here in March-April-May, will not bolt as fast when it turns hot.  Generally once you get an area of cilantro growing well, it will reseed itself several times over 1 season   If not, scratch the ground a bit with a potato hoe, fertilize, and mulch.

Same for parsley, except it is a biennial, and will bolt early in the 2nd season. 

Lettuce, cabbage, spinach, arugula, broccoli, etc., will all tend to bolt when it hits 90F.

But you can have great results planting those in September, and depending on when we hit the mid 20s, you can get some nice crops and not have to fight the bugs or weeds that time of the year.

• tundra likes this
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#9 Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

I was wondering why the leaves started looking different a few weeks ago.  Once they've bolted (I confess, I had to look up the word) is it too late to re-pot them and move them indoors?

#10 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,520 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

I was wondering why the leaves started looking different a few weeks ago.  Once they've bolted (I confess, I had to look up the word) is it too late to re-pot them and move them indoors?

yep!

They are toast. Once they pull that trigger, z100% of their energy and effort goes to reproducing. Flower heads, buds, seeds, die

If you snip of the stalks when the first try to flower and if it cools off you might buy a week or 3. Once they are flowering its too late

Good luck!
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#11 Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

yep!

They are toast. Once they pull that trigger, z100% of their energy and effort goes to reproducing. Flower heads, buds, seeds, die

If you snip of the stalks when the first try to flower and if it cools off you might buy a week or 3. Once they are flowering its too late

Good luck!

I tossed them off of the deck and spit on their corpses!

I moved my basil and rosemary to give my oregano and thyme room because they're out of control.  I learned where to clip them to double the output and may have gone a bit overboard with the practice, but I can't stop myself.  It's like some insane obsession that I have to go outside at dawn with a cup of coffee and mess with herbs.

Thanks again for the help!

#12 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

I moved my basil and rosemary to give my oregano and thyme room because they're out of control.  I learned where to clip them to double the output and may have gone a bit overboard with the practice, but I can't stop myself.  It's like some insane obsession that I have to go outside at dawn with a cup of coffee and mess with herbs.

What you have is known in technical terms as an addiction.
Meetings start at 8pm in the church basement.
You are in charge of bringing cookies.
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#13 Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

What you have is known in technical terms as an addiction.
Meetings start at 8pm in the church basement.
You are in charge of bringing cookies.

Your ability to appropriately post using the "quote" feature lets me know that there will be at least two of us there.  You're bringing coffee, right?

#14 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Your ability to appropriately post using the "quote" feature lets me know that there will be at least two of us there.  You're bringing coffee, right?

I would answer, but the we are not allowed to tell.
There will be coffee.
  • surepip likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics