Paulding.com

No Toxic dump behind Hiram Elementary

I would like to lay out the situation as I personally know it from the beginning. I was one of the original people involved with this dump site situation when it started the first time earlier this year. Ron Crist had posted Special Use Permit signs on his property on Duncan Circle. After research and contact with Paulding Co we were able to determine his intent which was to use the property as a waste site/dump site/transfer station, whatever word you personally prefer. As a group we distributed fliers and posted notices on community sites to make the public aware. A few days prior to the scheduled meeting with Paulding Co., Ron Crist withdrew his Special Use Permit application because he quickly realized it was not sitting well with Hiram residents.

Last month, quite by accident I literally stumbled over the fact that Ron Crist had filed paperwork with Paulding Co Planning and Zoning and asked them to "change the way the current zoning text read, to include his dump site, waste site, transfer station, as an acceptable business within the current zoning." Of course by doing this no notices had to be posted on his property informing the residents of Hiram what he was up to again. I contacted Paulding County Planning & Zoning about this (which was within days of the meeting where his application was to be heard - originally April 22nd) and asked them WHY nothing was posted, no word on the Paulding agenda website, etc. And low and behold, I was told it was a "clerical error". Imagine that, a clerical error. I then asked what had to be done to get the meeting postponed in order to give Hiram residents an opportunity to know what was going on in our backyard....I had to actually go to department heads to get a response, but the response I got was the meeting would be postponed from April 22nd to May 27th. I got the confirmation from Paulding Co Planning and Zoning on Thursday April 17 that the meeting would definitely be postponed. On Friday April 18th, who do you think showed up at my home ??? Ron Crist himself !! He was obviously upset because he had just been told that I had cost him that April 22nd meeting. Well, Ron Crist spent the next 35 minutes telling me how I was wrong, how he owned over half of Hiram, how I was going to lose, and how Paulding County Planning & Zoning had been guiding him through out this process. Of course, the part of him getting guidance from Paulding Co Planning in Zoning is something I cannot personally confirm. He just mentioned it throughout his rant to me.

Ron Crist wants to open a business that is normally considered heavy industrial in a light industrial neighborhood. Please keep in mind that if this text amendment were to be allowed, then going forward this type of business would have the green light to open in any light industrial area!

Why would a business person who claims to have the best intentions, quietly approach Paulding County Planning & Zoning to get a dump site/waste site/transfer station approved in our city? It does 100% back up to an elementary school, and it is surrounded by residential homes. I will tell you why, it is because Ron Crist cares about Ron Crist PERIOD. He has been dishonest from the beginning, and through dishonesty and intimidation he hopes to succeed. Paulding County will make a recommendation to The City of Hiram, and then the decision rests on the City Of Hiram Officials. It is up to the residents of Hiram to stop it. Please do your part NOW.

First, thank you for posting.

Second, when I read this, "Last month, quite by accident I literally stumbled over ", I had a mental picture of you tripping and falling and landing on the paperwork. (my mind wanders that attaway)

Third, did Mr. Crist call before showing up? Did he ask you about your concerns and address them? Or did he just tell you he owned half of Hiram (does he own any of it that has the traffic problems?) and that was it?

Fourth, while I have no doubt that you are an honest man/woman, I hope you understand that I am sure Mr. Crist would have a different version of the meeting at your house.

Just one last note, if he had showed up at my house unannounced, he would not have gotten in the door.

Not because he is Ron Crist, but because I am weird that way.

I would have talked with him outside......maybe.

No, I received no call from Ron Crist or anyone else he just showed up at my door. I happened to be home that day as it was Good Friday and had the day off. My dogs starting barking which caused me to look out and see Ron Crist driving up the road, and backing down the road a couple of times (not turn around but backing down) and then pull up in my driveway. I stepped out on my porch because it was obvious to me why he was there.

As far as my concerns he said I was right re: my concerns about the transfer station, but his transfer station would be different. One thing I forgot to mention earlier, he did say he had already been in contact with officials to have "my road" closed so trucks would not use it as a thoroughfare to his transfer station. So considerate. As far as his owning over half of Hiram, I do not know the answer to that. But I do know that even if he does, that should have no bearing on the outcome of this text amendment proposal. A name, money in the bank, etc. should not affect how a decision is reached. Officials in both paid positions and elected positions are there to represent each of us regardless of our name or social status.

He said, she said, can come into play. But I would say to each of you, do your own research. Go on line and read up on dumpsters, transfer stations, heavy industrial versus light industrial, etc. Locate and drive by current transfer stations and see for yourself what they are all about. Make a decision based on where that research leads you.

Edited by Truth be told

Paulding Co Planning & Zoning meeting is Tuesday May 27th @ 2pm.

240 Constitution Blvd., 2nd floor, Dallas, GA 30132

Paulding Co. will make a recommendation to the City of Hiram, and then it is ultimately the City of Hiram officials who will make the final decision.

Please attend the meeting if possible, if not please make contact with the following to let your positions be known:

crobinson@paulding.gov

rrokovitz@hiram-ga.gov

jpalmer@hiram-ga.gov

This dump site, waste site, transfer station, will forever change our neighborhoods, our schools, our quality of life as we know it.

Edited by Hailey

No, I received no call from Ron Crist or anyone else he just showed up at my door. I happened to be home that day as it was Good Friday and had the day off. My dogs starting barking which caused me to look out and see Ron Crist driving up the road, and backing down the road a couple of times (not turn around but backing down) and then pull up in my driveway. I stepped out on my porch because it was obvious to me why he was there.

As far as my concerns he said I was right re: my concerns about the transfer station, but his transfer station would be different. One thing I forgot to mention earlier, he did say he had already been in contact with officials to have "my road" closed so trucks would not use it as a thoroughfare to his transfer station. So considerate. As far as his owning over half of Hiram, I do not know the answer to that. But I do know that even if he does, that should have no bearing on the outcome of this text amendment proposal. A name, money in the bank, etc. should not affect how a decision is reached. Officials in both paid positions and elected positions are there to represent each of us regardless of our name or social status.

He said, she said, can come into play. But I would say to each of you, do your own research. Go on line and read up on dumpsters, transfer stations, heavy industrial versus light industrial, etc. Locate and drive by current transfer stations and see for yourself what they are all about. Make a decision based on where that research leads you.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck!

Environmental Justice Considerations

During the site selection process, steps should

be taken to ensure that siting decisions are not

imposing a disproportionate burden upon

communities.

Overburdening a community with negative

impact facilities can create health, environmental,

and quality of living concerns. It can

also have a negative economic impact by lowering

property values and hindering community

revitalization plans. These are just a few

of the reasons environmental justice concerns

need to be addressed when selecting a site for

a waste transfer station.

Yet another set of issues that must

be addressed relates to public concern or

opposition, particularly from people living or

working near the proposed site.

Transfer station structures can experience substantial vibrations

from heavy equipment used to compact and load

waste into the transfer vehicles. Concrete and steel floors, pillars,

and other building reinforcements must be designed to

accommodate these high levels of vibration. Older buildings

not designed for this heavy use often can not meet these

requirements.

Truck and traffic compatibility

Transfer

stations often receive surges of traffic when

collection vehicles have finished their

routes. Transfer station traffic varies locally,

but tends to peak twice a day. The first

peak is often near the middle of the day or

shift, and the second at the end of the day

or shift. Therefore, the best sites for transfer

stations are located away from areas that

have midday traffic peaks and/or school

bus and pedestrian traffic.

Developing Community-Specific Criteria

The third category of criteria to consider are

impacts that the facility will have on the surrounding

community. These criteria are typically

less technical in nature and incorporate

local, social, and cultural factors. Examples of

these criteria include:

• Environmental Justice considerations

• Impact on air quality

• Impact on the local infrastructure.

• Adjacent land uses

• Proximity to schools, churches, recreation

http://www.epa.gov/osw/nonhaz/municipal/pubs/r02002.pdf

Air Pollution Impacts on Children from a Waste Transfer Station

Children have generally been considered more susceptible to PM exposure due to multiple factors including more time spent outdoors, greater activity levels, and exposures resulting in higher doses per body weight and lung surface area, and the potential for irreversible effects on the developing lung. EPA has found associations between short-term increases in PM concentrations and respiratory-related health 2 One recent study found increased respiratory effects (e.g., wheeze, cough, lower respiratory symptoms) in children 7–12 years of age compared to individuals 20–51 years of age in response to exposure to both PM10– 2.5 (coarse particulate matter) and PM2.5.In addition, another study found an increase in respiratory-related hospital admissions with shortterm exposure to PM among children ages 0-14 years.

Storm water runoff is a big concern in that water from the dumpsters, floors, trucks, etc. will empty into creeks that surround/run thru this property. These streams do play a part in the drinking water for Hiram residents.

• Like 1

I would like to be at that meeting. Not only do my children live close to the questioned site, Hiram Elem, the Comet trail, Hiram Park, Hiram baseball and football fields are all within a tight 3 to 5 mile area. With all the land in Paulding that is not near any of the above, just because it may be owned by Ron Crist, I am sure other property can be bought that would be less impact on Hiram.

Edited by Hailey

"What a dump."

Elizabeth Taylor

• Like 1

Speaking of Ron Crist's difficulty in being forthright:

Following Ron Crist’s withdrawal from the District 3 race Tuesday, officials with released the documents that had challenged Crist’s candidacy earlier in the day.

Crist’s candidacy was challenged by Dallas resident Doug Shaw. Shaw in a 24-page document challenging Crist’s qualifications asserted that Crist resides in Cobb County despite listing a Dallas Street residence in Hiram on his Declaration of Candidacy.

“I have physically observed and have spoken to local residents who have also physically observed [Crist] residing in the same home that he has owned in Cobb County for many years,” Shaw wrote in the challenge. “I have also observed that there are people residing in his listed property in Hiram that are not Mr. Crist.”

Other evidence presented by Shaw in the document included a copy of the check Crist wrote on May 24 to the Paulding County——which lists a Powder Springs address, photos taken at the Cobb and Paulding residences, a non-owner occupancy rider for the Paulding residence and more.

This news item was due to the fact Ron Crist was running for a position on the Paulding School Board when he did not even live in Paulding Co. He misrepresented his application and through RESEARCH it was determined he had in fact misled Paulding residents and the School Board. Wow, I guess if he had in fact been able to run for the school board and won this dump behind Hiram Elementary would be a done deal. Is anyone out there connecting the dots!!!

Edited by Hailey
  • Like 1

Anthony Mattina is Chief Operating Officer of Crist Construction & Roofing. Mr. Mattina is also affiliated with the Greater Atlanta Apartment Assoc. which oversees management of 330,000+ apartments in Metro Atlanta alone. So when Ron Crist refers to residential properties please keep in mind the scope of the residential properties to which he is referring.

I drive by this location several times a week. I personally see dumpsters full of waste sitting weeks on end not moved or emptied or COVERED, meaning rain water is leaking from the dumpsters and it’s contents and then running off into the 2 creeks that run thru this property. These creeks do end up providing drinking water for Hiram residents.

Who will ensure no hazardous waste is accepted at the site? Prior response ‘ any unacceptable material will be taken directly to proper facilities". NOTE, they do not say hazardous materials won't happen, they say when it does happen it WILL BE taken away. They CANNOT control what is put in those dumpsters and trucks and they KNOW it! This dump site will bring trash/debris/hazardous waste from all over metro Atlanta. Shingles can contain asbestos. Siding can contain asbestos. Lead paint, mold, cross contamination. New shingles are made up of more than 90% petroleum by-products.

Think of the noise, the trash, the hazardous waste, the traffic! And then think how this will impact Hiram Elementary School which is adjacent to this dump site? How will it affect the neighborhoods? Property values? Our overall quality of life?

• Like 1

Please keep in mind that regardless of what transpires at the Paulding Co. Planning and Zoning meeting on Tuesday May 27th at 2pm, the final decision on this dump site proposal will be the responsibility of Hiram City Officials. The Hiram meeting will be held on Tuesday July 1st at 6:30 pm @ the Council Chambers which are located at the Hiram Community Center, 217 Main Street, Hiram.

Please "save the date" and make sure your neighbors, family, friends are aware of it as well. It is vital we put a stop to this or else the Hiram we know and love will no longer be the city it is today. Our neighborhoods, schools, day care facilities, recreational facilities will forever be negatively impacted. We will not get a second chance to stop this!

The meeting went well. Paulding Planning and Zoning voted to recommend that the text amendment not be approved. The final decision now belongs to the City of Hiram. Their meeting will be held Tuesday July 1st., @ 6:30pm. Your continued support is very much appreciated.

Edited by Truth be told
  • Like 2

GREAT NEWS! I just received word that Ron Crist has "withdrawn his text amendment request". This means it is over, hopefully for good. Thanks so much to everyone who has supported this cause.

And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.

• Like 1