Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Airport Update @ Silver Comet Field

Pete Combs interview Robert J. Aaronson Blake Swafford.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,238 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#2 MillCreek

MillCreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,378 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, LPPT!!!

I would like to mention that there is a website up and running, in Support of the Silver Comet Field at Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport at www.SupportPauldingAirport.com

#3 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

Ok, I am at 3:10 and Blake is saying that the starting plan is for two flights a week, after that it is purely speculation.

I can't listen anymore at this point, we all know that no company signs a long term lease with no plan of how many flights they will have in 1 yr, 5 yrs, 10 yrs.

Can this man every answer a question straight up?

I will come back and listen more when my tolerance for bullcheeze is higher.

I am sure it contains some interesting information.....I think it contains some interesting information....I hope it contains some interesting information.

• satellite, The Sound Guy, crossroads and 3 others like this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#4 George Patton Hughes

George Patton Hughes

Democrat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

Stradial:

Sounds like you didn't sleep well, did that pea under the 40 mattresses disturb your beauty rest again.

If you had listened a bit longer, you'd have heard the big thing regarding  this airport and its future plans.  That is the capacity of the facility as it stands and with the city of Atlanta owing the land surrounding it, fat chance of the county expanding to a second runway or even expanding the current one.

Blake and Robert Aaronson said basically the facility could accommodate up to about 12 flights a day as currently configured which is a far cry from the 1,400 flights daily from Hartsfield-Jackson. 

What I found interesting is that Pete Combs brought up things like the six-mile circle of death or some such flyer that was so ridiculous I laughed out loud as well as the evidence of Delta's involvement.

In regard to the flyer alleging a toxic circle ... if planes flying over creates this kind of impact, why isn't there a crater around Hartsfield-Jackson or why isn't the US Capital abandoned because of Reagan National Airport? 

Fact:  we probably have 300 planes a day flying over us at a distance of 4 miles that are coming and going at Hartsfield-Jackson and have had for 30 years or more.  The impact of this airport is negligible and why the opponents are going gaga about 12 landing a day at this little airport can only be attributed to their Chicken Little mentality.   

Such allegations that the sky is falling defy logic, reason and intelligence.

Thanks for posting the video, LPPT.

George Patton "Pat" Hughes

• westside family and MillCreek like this

#5 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Stradial:

Sounds like you didn't sleep well, did that pea under the 40 mattresses disturb your beauty rest again.

If you had listened a bit longer, you'd have heard the big thing regarding  this airport and its future plans.  That is the capacity of the facility as it stands and with the city of Atlanta owing the land surrounding it, fat chance of the county expanding to a second runway or even expanding the current one.

Blake and Robert Aaronson said basically the facility could accommodate up to about 12 flights a day as currently configured which is a far cry from the 1,400 flights daily from Hartsfield-Jackson. 

What I found interesting is that Pete Combs brought up things like the six-mile circle of death or some such flyer that was so ridiculous I laughed out loud as well as the evidence of Delta's involvement.

In regard to the flyer alleging a toxic circle ... if planes flying over creates this kind of impact, why isn't there a crater around Hartsfield-Jackson or why isn't the US Capital abandoned because of Reagan National Airport? 

Fact:  we probably have 300 planes a day flying over us at a distance of 4 miles that are coming and going at Hartsfield-Jackson and have had for 30 years or more.  The impact of this airport is negligible and why the opponents are going gaga about 12 landing a day at this little airport can only be attributed to their Chicken Little mentality.   

I agree that today isn't my best day, but dang, just answer a straight question with a straight answer.

Example:

"The plan is to start with two flights a week, then move to X fights a week by XXXX and we hope by XXXX to have X flights a week/year."

How hard is that?

There is either a long term plan with goals they are trying to meet or there isn't.

If there is, and you have nothing to hide, SAY WHAT THAT PLAN IS.

If there isn't a long term plan, then that is another problem of a different color.

I do plan to go back and listen to the whole thing.

• SOLO likes this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#6 Cranemec

Cranemec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Stradial:

Hope you're not spending too much of your hard earned money on a losing campaign.  Because you will.

Right off the bat, first sentence, condescending remark. We have enough arrogant assholes in elected offices as it stands.

• crossroads, WHITEY, SOLO and 3 others like this

Grandma was a loyal Republican until the day she died. She's voted Democrat ever since.

#7 GPatton

GPatton

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,687 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Stradial:

The answer was how many flights?  They've got maybe two a week that they have a commitment on.  They hope to get airlines to come in and offer up to 12 a day but that may take years to come to fruition largely because the airline companies would have to commit.  They haven't and they can't make them and most probably they won't be able to make such announcements until they're in operation.

pubby

#8 GPatton

GPatton

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,687 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hope you're not spending too much of your hard earned money on a losing campaign.  Because you will.

Right off the bat, first sentence, condescending remark. We have enough arrogant assholes in elected offices as it stands.

FYI:

I've sat face to face with stradial on many occasions and I don't believe he considers me an arrogant asshole just as he also knows that he's about as far away from being a 'persnickety princess' as is the character Shrek :)  

pubby

Fact is, there are aspects to stradial's persona that remind me greatly of the green ogre of animated movie fame - including but not limited to his sense of humor.

#9 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

I do know pubby will enough to know that he was not being rude to me, but due to us knowing each other, joking with me.

The same as when I josh with him about his stuff.

But I do thank you, Cranemec, for having my back.

(can you help with the ex? perhaps you have some crosses, wooden stakes and garlic cloves?)

(nah, never mind, those wooded stakes just make her mad)

#10 George Patton Hughes

George Patton Hughes

Democrat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

I do know pubby will enough to know that he was not being rude to me, but due to us knowing each other, joking with me.

The same as when I josh with him about his stuff.

But I do thank you, Cranemec, for having my back.

(can you help with the ex? perhaps you have some crosses, wooden stakes and garlic cloves?)

(nah, never mind, those wooded stakes just make her mad)

And I know that you're ragging on the 'establishment' because your crew is too ... and on the issue of the airport it is obvious we disagree.

Beyond that, I would encourage you to view the video.  It was well done and Pete Combs, a WSB radio reporter, didn't pull punches ranging from the issues surrounding the allegations of secret meetings to the lack of opportunity of citizens wishing to speak.

I think it does relate the administration's point in a no-nonsense way.

#11 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

I have a crew?
They need to get over here and get some yard work done.

#12 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

I enjoyed watching this presentation. While I did not buy every thing said I do enjoy listening to everything I can find on local affairs.

A few comments;
This type of presentation should have been aired no later than October 4, just after the annoucement of the Silver Comet agreement. But nothing can be done now but learn from past experiences.
I hope more information continues to flow in our direction often now (from all sources).
I hope Mr. Aaronson is now the local spokesman for Propeller and hopefully he will keep Brett Smith tied up in NY.

Edited by mojo413, 08 May 2014 - 06:13 AM.

Republican since Reagan
TRUMP 2020!!!
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#13 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

I enjoyed watching this presentation. While I did not buy every thing said I do enjoy listening to everything I can find on local affairs.

A few comments;
This type of presentation should have been aired no later than October 4, just after the annoucement of the Silver Comet agreement. But nothing can be done now but learn from past experiences.
I hope more information continues to flow in our direction often now (from all sources).
I hope Mr. Aaronson is now the local spokesman for Propeller and hopefully he will keep Brett Smith tied up in NY.

My first instinct is a day late and dollar short.

Mojo nails it with the NLT October 4th.  And possibly much earlier with a program geared ad educating the populace of what the APA, IBA, and BoC were hoping to accomplish.

It is apparent from this interview, if they were indeed being honest [Chit on me once, shame on you. Chit on me twice, shame on me], they still have no true business plan in place, and their flight numbers were all over the board.

Swafford becomes downright insulting stating how he was getting calls from citizens in surrounding counties asking about the airport plans while insinuating anyone in Paulding who did not know was because they didn't care.  That is BS, and I call it as such.

I know I pay close attention to what is going on. I knew about Interroll early on, long before the official announcements. I have been asking the Interroll guys in Wilmington what the plans were sine they bought our BMW Metalworks, and that was 2-3 years before the announcements of them coming here.

But I will say this video presentation is a step in the right direction.

I still want to know how much money has been paid to whom, for what, from what sources at the airport since day 1?

And how did these payments compare to the original budget ?  i.e. Where did we go so wrong to end up with almost triple the original budget?

What has been paid back by the FAA ?

What is pending to be paid back by the FAA ?

Then a nice presentation on what exactly the plans are for the runways and taxiways....

Hangers .....

MRO facilities.....

Gate, with security and baggage handling, and all their associated costs.

What income is project from the utilization of said Gate and Security ?

And Blake, it would not hurt to serve yourself a plate of crow, and along with the Austins, the rest of the AA, IBA, and all others involved, to come out and publicly admit you screwed up with the way you guys tried to pull this entire fiasco off without input from the citizens, Go on and say, THAT WAS A MISTAKE AND IF WE HAD IT TO DO ALL OVER AGAIN WE WOULD INDEED BE TOTALLY OPEN AND TRANSPARENT.

Don't make anymore excuses, just accept the blame and responsibility and admit it was done wrong, ask for some foregiveness, and ask what can now be done to get the whole mess cleaned up and on an even keel and move forward WITH community support from the majority of the population.

Having a referendum would be a nice, easy and relatively inexpensive way to do this. Simply put it on the ballot as a non binding vote.

• secondhandsmith, SOLO, mojo413 and 1 other like this
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#14 tess

tess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

I am not saying I am for or against .....but I could only listen to about 3 or 4 minutes of the infomercial....I have heard all that was said before... just at a different time & in different words....same song second verse 

• WHITEY and Lucky64 like this

[I AM NOT SHOUTING OR MAD....I HAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON
IF I AM MAD YOU WILL KNOW IT...I WILL
BE TYPING IN BLOOD

#15 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

Blah, blah, blah.  Cover his mouth, he would talk through his ass!   Oh wait, that's what he is doing..

• Gone, WHITEY, secondhandsmith and 1 other like this

#16 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

In an area with so few jobs and potential for jobs, I do wish more people could open up to the fact that the airport can be a valuable asset to Paulding and the surrounding area.

I would like to know that it is done safely and so on....but not much say for the little people in big matters like this.

Just consider that growth is going to happen. Just hope that it is done better than the thousands of houses that were built on 2 lane cow trail roads. Hope that there is some actual PLANNING done first.

BUT to get actual planning, you need officials in charge that have brain cells that function in matters other than stuffing their own pockets. Good luck with that.

The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#17 George Patton Hughes

George Patton Hughes

Democrat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

In an area with so few jobs and potential for jobs, I do wish more people could open up to the fact that the airport can be a valuable asset to Paulding and the surrounding area.

I would like to know that it is done safely and so on....but not much say for the little people in big matters like this.

Just consider that growth is going to happen. Just hope that it is done better than the thousands of houses that were built on 2 lane cow trail roads. Hope that there is some actual PLANNING done first.

BUT to get actual planning, you need officials in charge that have brain cells that function in matters other than stuffing their own pockets. Good luck with that.

Actually, I wouldn't suggest that the folks we have in office now are about stuffing their own pockets.  I think there was much greater opportunity for that kind of shenanigans when home building was rocking big time and the stories of properties flipping here and there within a group of folks that were doing just that was relatively easy.

The current administration wasn't  the main instigator of the airport and they spent most of their first term keeping the county services in operation while they did massive cuts in spending.  Their primary effort was the studio which amazingly enough was not as foolhardy an effort as many in the opposition portray it to be.  I do think that the state film office has been an unexpected obstacle and the reason for the lack of enthusiasm on the state level for this effort is a legitimate question.

Much of the criticisms of this administration are based on policies and attitudes that seem to have carried over and whether those positions were based on the staff or vendor attitudes or the prejudices of the administration itself could be argued but the notion that the guys in there now are in it for their own enrichment is not at all obvious. 

It really kind of irks me when some of the folks - my opponent in the Post 2 race decided 11 days from now - say things like how they are crooked because a commission fifteen years ago bought property for a reservoir that won't hold water.

That maybe so but the plain fact is that purchase was made under the auspices of the not-Dallas faction of the only party in Paulding and the folks in office now are the Dallas faction.  (This is partly how I define the county's politics. ... i.e. there is the Dallas crowd and then there is the non-Dallas crowd and those are the factions that, prior to the Carruth-Shearin years, literally traded power every four years for the previous three, four or more decades.)

The innovation that put the non-Dallas crowd in power for those 12 years was the decision to hire a professional staff to run the various offices in the county and for the most part, those - and I don't use this as a pejorative term - bureaucrats have largely remained in power due to county civil service rules. 

So if there were, as some have suggested, efforts to over-engineer the airport property to accept larger planes (stronger runway, additional high-level cables, etc. at the airport terminal) those decisions were made back in the day of the non-Dallas crowd. 

Given this history, my reading is that this election, if you strip away the veneer of the controversies, remains a contest between these two factions.  Neither are perfect but the reputation of the non-Dallas crowd, which seeks to regain power, is to me arguably more of a danger to the county's treasury than the former.

Personally, I'm independent from either faction and basically am running on the idea that quickest and easiest way to bring transparency to the operations of county government is to slow down the slam-bam decision-making process of propose publicly at 10am and dispose at 2 pm that same day.   Obviously I think we need broader, more inclusive discussion and that is the reason I started paulding.com in the first place.

A few comments;

I think we're totally in agreement on this point, mojo.  I don't think anyone in the administration or out is happy with the way this has been played.  That they are trying to make amends by hiring the WSB guy to ask the questions is obviously an effort to bring in an independent and unaligned individual to question these folks.

I do think Propeller bringing in Aaronson to the fold is a direct response to tundra's questions when Brett Smith made his morning presentation at the Chamber back in November.  I think this man's experience in running airports is such that you'd be hard pressed to find a more qualified person anywhere in the country to do that job.

That the man also has a national reputation in that industry and was and is willing to take on the task of making this airport a success is an endorsement of the plan that would be impossible to ignore.  I mean here's the guy that was the head of all the airports run by the New York Port Authorities including smaller airports.  That he preceded the smudge on the reputation of the Port Authority caused by Chris Christies cronies is also to his credit :)

I have a crew?
They need to get over here and get some yard work done.

That's only because you didn't win those chits for yard work in the last poker game.

#18 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

This was well worth the hour it took to watch it.  It was great to actually here facts and studies cited instead of reading hyperbole from a particular group of folks here on PCom.  

I've gotten into it with Tundra a couple times when she claims that there are something like 1200 homes near and around the airport that will be impacted.  I used Google Maps and such and insisted that the number was no where near 1200. She still stuck by her numbers.  It was very interesting to learn, at 49:09 into the interview, that a study was completed by the City of Atlanta in 2011-2012 to look at the costs/impact/viability/etc. of building here in Paulding.  The airport they "designed" would have been considerably larger than what we have (even after our runway is extended) and, yet, THE IMPACT SHOWED 17 homes would fall within the FAA and EPA's noise "bubble"!!!  This was obviously an unbiased study that was not conducted by Paulding and was done long before Propeller showed any interest in investing here.

Again, this was def worth watching.  

mrnn

• Beach Bum likes this

"Republicans have been fleeced, exploited, and lied to by the conservative entertainment complex" -- David Frum, Former Bush Speechwriter and directer of Republican Jewish Coalition

#19 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

This was well worth the hour it took to watch it.  It was great to actually here facts and studies cited instead of reading hyperbole from a particular group of folks here on PCom.  

I've gotten into it with Tundra a couple times when she claims that there are something like 1200 homes near and around the airport that will be impacted.  I used Google Maps and such and insisted that the number was no where near 1200. She still stuck by her numbers.  It was very interesting to learn, at 49:09 into the interview, that a study was completed by the City of Atlanta in 2011-2012 to look at the costs/impact/viability/etc. of building here in Paulding.  The airport they "designed" would have been considerably larger than what we have (even after our runway is extended) and, yet, THE IMPACT SHOWED 17 homes would fall within the FAA and EPA's noise "bubble"!!!  This was obviously an unbiased study that was not conducted by Paulding and was done long before Propeller showed any interest in investing here.

mrnn

What flavor was your Kool Aid?

:)

I still haven't watched it, maybe later to night.

• mrnn likes this

#20 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

mrnn

I could......but I won't. I won't because I hate to see a martyr being victimized by some facts.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#21 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

17 homes, just 17?  Ok, if you believe that I have some ocean front property you can buy up in Tennessee. 

Show me the study where those numbers came from, then we'll discuss it.  Just because someone says it, doesn't make it true. 

BTW, the environmental impact studies were not done as required by the FAA, it's gathering public input now. 

Edited by tundra, 09 May 2014 - 04:18 PM.

• radiohead likes this

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

I OPPOSE COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE. Protect Paulding County 

#22 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

I know several folks who live on the north side of 278 near Poole Elementary, and they are 3 miles from the runway. 

They cannot carry on a conversation while a plane comes over, so I have to call BS on Blakes comments there.

Now, I suggest we make a re-purchased home from a homeowner ready to bail, bought by the county, as a pro-rata share of the Airport Directors salary.  Drop his salary by $25,000 a year, and provide him with a home at the end of the runway as part of his enumeration package.

Walk the walk, talk the talk, deal with it yourself, and with your family if you think there are no hardships involved.

• mach4, mojo413, DTASK2011 and 1 other like this
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#23 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Here is the reality of the airport...................     http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9FiHMRaEdxQ

• tundra likes this
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has Margaret Mead

I oppose the airport expansion

http://www.savepauldingco.com/blog/

"And believe you me, if there was going to be airliners I would not be a part of this, never ever would I be a part of this"

#24 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

here is another one 3.2 miles away from the airport, Don't  be fooled by the BS interview in this thread.     http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lvio7Z27Prc

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has Margaret Mead

"And believe you me, if there was going to be airliners I would not be a part of this, never ever would I be a part of this"

#25 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

It's louder in person. 

Bring on the jobs, bring on the business leave the commercial flights at Hartsfield.

#26 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Here is another interview that tells the rest of the story     https://www.youtube....h?v=19lodVJU2mE

#27 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Just because someone says it, doesn't make it true. 

Hi Pot. Meet Kettle.

Why don't you ask Blake for a copy of the report?  You're right, it wasn't a full FAA impact study but I can't think of any extraordinary environmental features at Silver Comet that would cause their estimated environmental impacts to be very far off from an in-depth study....the FAA knows a thing or two about airports and can make a better educated guess than anyone else when it comes to impacts.  Surely better than you, the mighty Tundra, and her claim that 1200 houses are about to become worthless.

mrnn

• Beach Bum likes this

"Republicans have been fleeced, exploited, and lied to by the conservative entertainment complex" -- David Frum, Former Bush Speechwriter and directer of Republican Jewish Coalition

#28 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hi Pot. Meet Kettle.

Why don't you ask Blake for a copy of the report?  You're right, it wasn't a full FAA impact study but I can't think of any extraordinary environmental features at Silver Comet that would cause their estimated environmental impacts to be very far off from an in-depth study....the FAA knows a thing or two about airports and can make a better educated guess than anyone else when it comes to impacts.  Surely better than you, the mighty Tundra, and her claim that 1200 houses are about to become worthless.

mrnn

Blake Swafford was at the meeting in 2004 when this statement was made......

I really question the credibility of those that was interviewed for what appears to be a info mercial.

Why was David Austin not interviewed he was the highest ranking elected official at all of those meetings along with his brother Boykin..... Something is wrong when a handful of elected officials can put this county in debt for over $50 million dollars without a vote from the citizens.

#29 junk

junk

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

those single engine cessnas are making my walls rattle,cans are falling out of my pantry.............give it a rest ,broken record

#30 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

I really question the credibility of those that was interviewed for what appears to be a info mercial.

Why was David Austin not interviewed he was the highest ranking elected official at all of those meetings along with his brother Boykin..... Something is wrong when a handful of elected officials can put this county in debt for over $50 million dollars without a vote from the citizens.

At least we have a time frame for never ever, apparently it is 10 years.

I bet you thought it meant...........never...........didn't you?

Mssr. Webster:

Full Definition of NEVER

1:  not ever :  at no time 
2:  not in any degree :  not under any condition 

3:  not until I change my mind (special definition unique to Paulding County) 

• radiohead likes this

#31 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Things change, Whitey...circumstances evolve.  You have every right to call Swafford a liar, hypocrite, asshole, whatever you'd like....he has definitely flip-flopped....but it won't change the fact that the county is under different leadership at this point who have a different vision for the future of, not only the airport, but the county as a whole.  

As a person whose opinion I value, I asked you a while back why you didn't want this airport deal to move forward and you told me about your history in Clayton.  If I'd seen the transformation you've seen, I'd be scared cheezeless, too.  I can only ask that you take even just a few minutes to look at this issue without using the lens of your past and try to imagine the opportunity that this could bring the county.  I don't know if you own property out that way, and I do hope that those affected are taken care of by way of compensation, but if you don't I think you owe it to yourself to atleast imagine the POSITIVES that could come out of this.  I think that seeing this from the other side's vantage point, if even for a few minutes,  may help to calm the conversation a bit...and that doesn't just go for you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I owned land near the airport and it was purchased before the airport was built, I'd be pretty damn pissed right now.  No doubt.  I sincerely hope that those people are taken care of financially.  Swafford alluded to this in the interview but then backed up compensation with other possibilities like "continued noise monitoring"....I don't think that's right.  If folks are within the noise pollution zone that the FAA designates, the county should buy their property at a fair market value.  If they choose not to give up their property, they should have their homes soundproofed at no cost to them and should receive a lump sum payment for their troubles.  

mrnn

• Nice Green and radiohead like this

#32 George Patton Hughes

George Patton Hughes

Democrat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

MRNN:

The land in that part of the county has been owned by the city of Atlanta which purchased it for an airport back in the middle 1970s.  They still own nearly 10,000 acres in that area of the county.

Most of the land is therefore owned by the city of Atlanta and a relatively small number of folks bought land or built homes in the immediate vicinity of the airport in the period in the time prior to the city of Atlanta purchase.  All who came there since 1977 were aware of the possibility that a large second 'relief' commercial airport owned and operated by the city of Atlanta could be built there.

A person buying a house in the area in 1980 would have paid off a 30 year mortgage and own what property they have outright at this point.  They certainly would have had the opportunity to exit the area in that time frame. I should also add that Paulding, since roughly 1988, has been among the top ten fastest growing counties in the USA and as such, change is an inevitable fact. 

On top of that, that land was pretty cheap back then ... I'm wanting to say that the city of Atlanta bought it  for something like $800/acre and, on top of that, despite their being a governmental unit holding title, the Georgia Supreme Court back in the 70s - I think I'm right about this - has compelled the city to pay property taxes on that land.

Local leaders have also dealt with other potential developments by the city of Atlanta for this property including using it as for a landfill.  I've already suggested one of the dangers I see of being anti-airport is that we lose local control of the facility.  I also doubt that the anti-folks running against the airport have the patience to fund the airport for the next several years it will take for the county to develop enough new businesses to make the project

The point is that a key element in this argument is that the anti-forces are being funded by folks whose agenda, I believe, is to centralize power. 

Folding formerly local authorities into larger state-sponsored authorities and one path that is a guaranteed approach to greater and greater centralized power.

The current effort to explode support for authorities like the Paulding County IBA and Airport Authority includes pointing to alleged abuses.  At least one prong of the approach is to destroy local support for these independent governmental bodies.

A lot of people don't realize it but the reason we have 'authorities' is because existing state law prohibits county or city governments from doing the things that these authorities are empowered to do.  Further complications are the employment rules regarding employees of these 'authorities' are not by law provided the same benefits and rules of county civil service employees.  That fact is, if you shut down these authorities, you hamstring local and further limit its powers. 

When power is removed from local government, that creates a power vacuum and it is a rule of physics and politics that 'nature abhors a vacuum.'

When you think about this general approach in the context of an increased interest at the state level to centralize and expand its power I, at least, tend to be very suspicious of organizations funded by out-of-county operators like protectpauldingco.com.  The influence of these outside the county powers playing local politics gives me the sense we're being played by these folks.

Personally, I oppose the idea of making changes to the authorities. There are better ways to provide transparency and retaining local control is the priority.  I don't want to have to be arguing this from outside the commission.

#33 tundra

tundra

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

Hi Pot. Meet Kettle.

mrnn

So you admit the proper study wasn't done, but I'm the one that's wrong?  Alrighty then.   :search:  

Did you know they also want to widen the runway to 150 feet and get an additional 2 acres of land at the west end of the runway? 

Yes the FAA knows a thing or two about airports and the environment.  They also believe strongly in citizen input.  I also see you haven't made it out to Clear Creek, Jones Mill, Oak View, Fair Oaks, Tanner Farms or any of the other subdivisions built in the last few years.  The ones that required two brand new elementary schools and a new middle school be built to accommodate the increased population.  Keep in mind, schools in Georgia can only be built to relieve overcrowding not because of anticipated growth. 

I'm thinking you and a couple others here will argue, just for the sake of arguing because I said something you didn't agree with at one point.  Reminiscent of my High School days. :lol:

#34 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

Things change, Whitey...circumstances evolve.  You have every right to call Swafford a liar, hypocrite, asshole, whatever you'd like....he has definitely flip-flopped....but it won't change the fact that the county is under different leadership at this point who have a different vision for the future of, not only the airport, but the county as a whole.  

As a person whose opinion I value, I asked you a while back why you didn't want this airport deal to move forward and you told me about your history in Clayton.  If I'd seen the transformation you've seen, I'd be scared cheezeless, too.  I can only ask that you take even just a few minutes to look at this issue without using the lens of your past and try to imagine the opportunity that this could bring the county.  I don't know if you own property out that way, and I do hope that those affected are taken care of by way of compensation, but if you don't I think you owe it to yourself to atleast imagine the POSITIVES that could come out of this.  I think that seeing this from the other side's vantage point, if even for a few minutes,  may help to calm the conversation a bit...and that doesn't just go for you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I owned land near the airport and it was purchased before the airport was built, I'd be pretty damn pissed right now.  No doubt.  I sincerely hope that those people are taken care of financially.  Swafford alluded to this in the interview but then backed up compensation with other possibilities like "continued noise monitoring"....I don't think that's right.  If folks are within the noise pollution zone that the FAA designates, the county should buy their property at a fair market value.  If they choose not to give up their property, they should have their homes soundproofed at no cost to them and should receive a lump sum payment for their troubles.  

mrnn

I have looked at the opportunities that a major airport hub will bring to this county, And it is crystal clear right down the road  in Clayton County Georgia... Are you satisfied with the School system in Clayton County? How about the sheriff's Department ?  maybe you like the traffic congestion, or the noise pollution that surrounds HJ Airport? Heck go down there and  breathe  some of the good fresh air that surrounds the airport for miles around.  Got any idea why we have over 800 Delta employees living here in Paulding County Instead of Clayton County..

Lets talk about the good paying jobs sure a pilot and aircraft mechanic are good paying jobs............ But what about the vast majority of the jobs like those working in the Kiosk, Fast food, Baggage claim, Parking decks, clean up crews etc. The reality is that probably 90% of those jobs created are minimum wage jobs much like Wally World or some of the other retail type jobs.

It appears that this administration has done a good job of limiting the thoughts of citizens about the problems that surround the airport to the main area of the facility.... Fact is the entire County will be impacted not just those living at the end of the runways..... Doubt my word take a tour a picture is worth a thousand words drive down 278 until it turns into  Camp Creek Parkway and then take any of the perimeter roads several miles out, Do you want Dallas to look like College Park???? How about Hiram looking like Hapeville or maybe Riverdale, Would you like for your grand kids to grow up and go to school in those areas.      The least talked about thing in this entire deal is the taxes..... Yea taxes.... Of all the taxes collected by the airport and all of the surrounding businesses Clayton and Fulton Counties have the highest tax rates for property owned than most counties in Georgia. Imagine that Blake talking about tax revenue and knowing fully well that the busiest airport in the world also brings with it the highest property taxes in the state and all the tax payers get is worst school's, more congestion, more corruption, more crime, and minimum wage jobs galore, That require MARTA to get the employees to work. 

What we need is to make the general aviation concept  work, Fire all the AA Board members and appoint some folks that know what they are doing, And elect some commissioners who walk like they talk, and do not make secret deals against the wishes of the citizens.

The Austin Boys need to be recalled ASAP

• tundra likes this

#35 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Here is another video of one mile out

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

• tundra likes this

#36 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

So you admit the proper study wasn't done, but I'm the one that's wrong?  Alrighty then.   :search:  

Did you know they also want to widen the runway to 150 feet and get an additional 2 acres of land at the west end of the runway? 

Yes the FAA knows a thing or two about airports and the environment.  They also believe strongly in citizen input.  I also see you haven't made it out to Clear Creek, Jones Mill, Oak View, Fair Oaks, Tanner Farms or any of the other subdivisions built in the last few years.  The ones that required two brand new elementary schools and a new middle school be built to accommodate the increased population.  Keep in mind, schools in Georgia can only be built to relieve overcrowding not because of anticipated growth. 

I'm thinking you and a couple others here will argue, just for the sake of arguing because I said something you didn't agree with at one point.  Reminiscent of my High School days. :lol:

Of course it wasn't a full EA study....it was one of several prospective sites.  Atlanta was given $1M by the FAA to perform research into potential secondary airport sites and Paulding was one of them.  When you're shopping for a new home, do you first call your bank, insurer, and county to obtain precise  amounts of the mortgage, insurance, and property tax bills on each house you look at or do you make a rough estimate in your head and then nail down exact figures once you actually choose one?  

I'm glad I can help you feel young again.

mrnn

• Beach Bum likes this

#37 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

You make it sound like the airport is directly out these people's back yard. I've been out to Jones Mill, I didn't see any evidence of being able to see the runway, airport, nada. Now, let's go on to Tanner Farms, I took the address of one of the houses for sale and plugged in the airport address on mapquest. Turns out that that subdivision is more than 10 miles away from the airport.

Until pictures are provided to show us how people are affected, I cannot see how you can make this claim.
  • Beach Bum likes this
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#38 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

I have looked at the opportunities that a major airport hub will bring to this county, And it is crystal clear right down the road  in Clayton County Georgia... Are you satisfied with the School system in Clayton County? How about the sheriff's Department ?  maybe you like the traffic congestion, or the noise pollution that surrounds HJ Airport? Heck go down there and  breathe  some of the good fresh air that surrounds the airport for miles around.  Got any idea why we have over 800 Delta employees living here in Paulding County Instead of Clayton County..

Lets talk about the good paying jobs sure a pilot and aircraft mechanic are good paying jobs............ But what about the vast majority of the jobs like those working in the Kiosk, Fast food, Baggage claim, Parking decks, clean up crews etc. The reality is that probably 90% of those jobs created are minimum wage jobs much like Wally World or some of the other retail type jobs.

It appears that this administration has done a good job of limiting the thoughts of citizens about the problems that surround the airport to the main area of the facility.... Fact is the entire County will be impacted not just those living at the end of the runways..... Doubt my word take a tour a picture is worth a thousand words drive down 278 until it turns into  Camp Creek Parkway and then take any of the perimeter roads several miles out, Do you want Dallas to look like College Park???? How about Hiram looking like Hapeville or maybe Riverdale, Would you like for your grand kids to grow up and go to school in those areas.      The least talked about thing in this entire deal is the taxes..... Yea taxes.... Of all the taxes collected by the airport and all of the surrounding businesses Clayton and Fulton Counties have the highest tax rates for property owned than most counties in Georgia. Imagine that Blake talking about tax revenue and knowing fully well that the busiest airport in the world also brings with it the highest property taxes in the state and all the tax payers get is worst school's, more congestion, more corruption, more crime, and minimum wage jobs galore, That require MARTA to get the employees to work. 

What we need is to make the general aviation concept  work, Fire all the AA Board members and appoint some folks that know what they are doing, And elect some commissioners who walk like they talk, and do not make secret deals against the wishes of the citizens.

The Austin Boys need to be recalled ASAP

But this isn't a major airport hub...at most (far in the future), it will be a regional airport like in Macon.  Using Hartsfield as a baseline for how you view Silver Comet is akin to being fearful of a mild rain shower approaching on radar because you've seen the damage an EF-5 tornado can do.  Have you driven around Middle Georgia Regional?  Have you studied their taxes?  Have they created public transit to service that airport?  Of course they haven't...it's not nearly big enough.  Same as our little one runway airport.

mrnn

• Nice Green and George Patton Hughes like this

#39 WHITEY

WHITEY

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

mnn

Since you enjoyed the interview with Blake I am Quite sure you will enjoy this?

http://www.savepauld...NAL-3-10-14.pdf                http://www.savepauld...Reply-Brief.pdf

#40 GPatton

GPatton

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,687 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

It was interesting reading Whitey:

That said it is there are basically two points to the suit.

The first I'll discuss is the violation of the open meetings law.  This was sloppy work on the part of the IBA's attorney.  In the interest of time and largely because no one ever complained about the specifics of the law, the minutes and process used to enter into the closed sessions were flawed.  One of the flaws was that the reason for the executive session was not delineated or specified in great detail and   they simply said verbally they were going to retire to executive session to discuss leases (general) instead of a lease of the terminal building to a company interested in getting a lease for the facility.

This is a tradition borne from that philosophical question, if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I think this lawsuit confirms that in terms of the interests of Delta and others now attacking local institutions in hopes a sustained effort will result in consolidation of power at higher levels of government, it does.  I'm sure these institutions will not be as sloppy in the future.

The second issue is a little trickier.  The lawsuit attacks the bond issue its self citing a similar effort in the city of Atlanta regarding the development of  Underground Atlanta.  The salient point is that the way the deal was structured is at the root of the complaint if for no other reason, even though the city of Atlanta lost that battle decades ago, they simply went back and did the deal right.  That option remains for us.

However, those complaining are complaining in large part because the negotiations called for Silver Comet Partners to pay the interest expense and principal until such a time as the FAA reimburses the county for the construction.  This is construed as a bad thing as the plaintiffs in this allege it is somehow a 'gift' to the Silver Comet Partners.

Actually, it is just the least expensive way to accomplish the task and the purpose of the lawsuit is to make doing what we choose to do more expensive.

First, it is absurd that Silver Comet Partners ought to pay to improve the owned facility of the airport the title of which is held by the citizens of Paulding County.  This is like someone buying a car outright for you - title, taxes, insurance and everything and just giving it to you without  a contract and with just the hope that you will give them a ride.  

And while relatively obscure case law can be construed to say you can't do that the reality is that good sense and common sense says you should.

Usually, good sense and common sense is not an issue but then that doesn't take into account wealthy third-parties that don't want you to do what you plan to do.   That's when companies hire a high-powered law firms to find these obscure cases and litigate you to death.  

So what is the outcome?  To do what we want to do costs more than it has to because some folks don't want us to do that.

That is where we are today.

The litigants in this also know that, just like with the city of Atlanta underground case, the situation can be fixed by changing a few things here and there. It won't cost much to do that and the alternative is simply no a deal killer - which is what they need to do.

So what are these out-of-county interests that want to kill this deal to do?

Astro-turf!  They orchestrate a citizen uprising and fold that operation in with other forces that want to consolidate power up the ladder where they have greater control.   The first step, though, is to stop the deal.

The strategy is so simple it is silly.  They plan on  taking over the Paulding County Board of Commissioners by selecting and electing their guys to office.

And what is very disturbing to me Whitey, is that you'll likely find yourself criticizing the people you're supporting now because the money backing they're getting from outside the county simply don't have the interests of Paulding Residents in mind. 

So when, all of a sudden next February, there is a bill in the Georgia General Assembly that creates a regional airport authority and later in the year it seeks to buy the Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport, don't be surprised if the BOC votes 3-2 to sell if your guys are elected.  Of course it will be Delta that controls that entity.

They've solved their problem; they have the full confidence of the city of Atlanta and your fear of a big airport with multiple 9000-ft runways and not 20 flights but 200 flights a day becomes the reality.

Whitey, we built this airport to snooker local control over the airspace and our hole card is that we control how big this facility gets.   You're slate will cost us that control.

Tundra, despite your support, I can say unequivocally, our airport will never be a drag strip but with your support, there is a good chance it will cease to be ours.

pubby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics