Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
thedeerslayer

Back yard eggs

Since Jan.1,my 10 backyard chickens have given us 747 eggs.Not only do they provide us with the best tasting eggs you can get, they keep the bug population in check when I let them out to free range as well.

I have 2 barred rocks,3 easter eggers,2 austrolorps,2 rhode island reds and 1 buff orpington.

• Like 1

That's a lot of eggs

Yeah it is :) But I love eggs.I eat at least 2-4 everyday at breakfast.

One of the easiest breakfasts I make for the work week is egg muffins.

Take a regular muffin pan,sprayed down with pam,crack an egg in each cup,bake for 20-25 mins. on 350.Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top when done.Sliced and toast english muffins and you have breakfast on the go fo the whole week.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifeggs.jpg

Since Jan.1,my 10 backyard chickens have given us 747 eggs.Not only do they provide us with the best tasting eggs you can get, they keep the bug population in check when I let them out to free range as well.

I have 2 barred rocks,3 easter eggers,2 austrolorps,2 rhode island reds and 1 buff orpington.

That's good production for cold weather. I assume you have the girls in a good heated coop?

Do you sell eggs?

I had heat lamps in them for awhile,but after reading the pros and cons on them,I took them out.

I built 2 coops.I keep 3 of the hens in a smaller one that is 4X4X4 with a 16 foot run.The other 7 stay in a 8x8x4 coop with a 30 foot run.

I give my extra eggs to neighbors and family

Edited by Gone

I have 3 Buff Orpies in my backyard run/coop combo and love it. The eggs can't be beat, they are entertaining and provide great compost for the garden. You are lucky to live in a situation to let them run free, I cannot get away with that.

I have 3 Buff Orpies in my backyard run/coop combo and love it. The eggs can't be beat, they are entertaining and provide great compost for the garden. You are lucky to live in a situation to let them run free, I cannot get away with that.

Them yolks are so much darker after the hens have been out all day.

Where I grew up in Smyrna, my grandfather, who lived next door, had a lot of chickens (I'm guessing over 50) until he died in 1992.

He had a huge fenced (tall fencing) area with many large walk in chicken houses.

His were the 1st eggs that I ever saw colored and back in those days, no one could believe there were chickens that laid colored eggs. (almost no one)

You eggs brought back some good memories, thanks.

Ohhh, one thing we used to do when our friends visited for the 1st time was take them into the largest hen house, I guess it was 14'x8' or 10' and then slip back out the door, turning off the light as we went, turn the piece of wood that served as a lock on the door and then go around the hen house banging on the sides of the walls.

This would cause the chickens to panic, "flying" from one side to the other and all around.

When we finally let the victim out, they were at best, scared and frazzled, at worst, scared, frazzled and pooped on.

Yep, we had high brow humor.

• Like 1

my Grand dad use to have lots of chickens and he got some eggs & raised Araucana chickens ...Easter Egg Chickens most of the eggs had a bluish/greenish color...he also had Guinea fowls too..they were a pain as they were free range & hid their nests...if you put your hand in the nest to get the eggs they would leave the nest & not come back...you had to use a long handle spoon to get them and make sure you left a few there too...their eggs were smaller & very dark yolked...he had 100 acres but kept the chickens near the house in a coup & pen...smelly especially after a rain & in the Heat of the summer

are those green eggs? so have you had any green eggs and ham? lol

Serious question....do the colored eggs taste any different from the regular "white eggs"

Not to me they didn't.

Serious question....do the colored eggs taste any different from the regular "white eggs"

No...........BUT,the eggs you get from the store will not taste as good as fresh eggs from your own flock.

Wait, some chickens lay colored eggs?? Never knew that. They are really pretty!

Wait, some chickens lay colored eggs?? Never knew that. They are really pretty!

You have to feed them colored corn.

You have to feed them colored corn.

No you don't, I just googled it! :p

Here are some different egg sizes we get.Eggs sold in store are classified by weight.Large=2oz,X-Large=2.25oz Jumbo is over 2.5 oz.

The weights are in ounces below these eggs,the 3.6 ouncer is the biggest we have ever weighed,and will have 2 yolks.